• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official GTA: Chinatown Wars thread

andthebeatgoeson

I had more fun with this than GTA4. Can't touch 3 or VC or even San Andreas but is a good change up for the series. They did some things much better than the 3D GTA's: drug trading, police pursuits, evading police by ramming, dialogue, story progression (except for Vice City), properties (except for Vice City).

Too bad all the GTA's does only some things very well and Rockstar can't put everything completely together. Maybe they think each game is different. I wish I could make a GTA with the car handling of GTA3, Vice City's property buying and taking over businesses, Chinatown's drug trade, finding the cameras and police evasion and San Andreas' scope, accessory missions. Add in the opera station from 3, the old school hip hop from SA, Vice City's R&B, SA's rock. The highways from SA, the openess of 3, the planes from SA, the brown thunder missions from 3 or VC, the mafia from 3. Not much from 4. Maybe COUSIN!!!. Or that one Russian song and some of the new hip hop from 4. Oh, the aiming while driving from 4. And no dating.

That's all.

skinnyrattler said:
I had more fun with this than GTA4. Can't touch 3 or VC or even San Andreas but is a good change up for the series. They did some things much better than the 3D GTA's: drug trading, police pursuits, evading police by ramming, dialogue, story progression (except for Vice City), properties (except for Vice City).

Too bad all the GTA's does only some things very well and Rockstar can't put everything completely together. Maybe they think each game is different. I wish I could make a GTA with the car handling of GTA3, Vice City's property buying and taking over businesses, Chinatown's drug trade, finding the cameras and police evasion and San Andreas' scope, accessory missions. Add in the opera station from 3, the old school hip hop from SA, Vice City's R&B, SA's rock. The highways from SA, the openess of 3, the planes from SA, the brown thunder missions from 3 or VC, the mafia from 3. Not much from 4. Maybe COUSIN!!!. Or that one Russian song and some of the new hip hop from 4. Oh, the aiming while driving from 4. And no dating.

That's all.

I don't understand how people can say this is better in any way than IV. There are more options for drug trading and property and stuff but this game is about as immersive as a puddle of water. I have no sense of the city at all. It's basically like a fun board game. The touch screen mini-games rip you right out of the environment. I mean, it all gels together as far as the game goes, but it certainly doesn't in any way immerse in the city or any kind of real drama. I'm more compelled to flip drugs for cash than I am to go on any specific missions. I just did one that involved fire bombing and I wasn't motivated by a character or even the setting. It was a very clear aiming game. It was fun, but it wasn't anything like a GTAIV mission, where there's tension and at least some sense of gravity. This game has all the pieces of a GTA, and they're fun to visit in ten minute chunks, and for that it should be well commended, but this isn't anywhere near GTAIV's level of experience.

Right so I've just got the game. I've never liked any previous GTA game but this one looked interesting so I thought I'd give it a try...

OMG I actually like it! It's so much more fun than any of the other GTAs :D I'm up to mission 5 and I'm loving it so far!

This is the first sandbox game I've actually really enjoyed, anyone else feel the same way?

I'd love to see a DSi only sequel though that lets you use custom soundtracks from SD Cards and some missions that make use of the camera (Like one could have you put up wanted posters with pictures taken from your camera) and of course with online multiplayer as well!

BenjaminBirdie said:
I don't understand how people can say this is better in any way than IV. There are more options for drug trading and property and stuff but this game is about as immersive as a puddle of water. I have no sense of the city at all. It's basically like a fun board game. The touch screen mini-games rip you right out of the environment. I mean, it all gels together as far as the game goes, but it certainly doesn't in any way immerse in the city or any kind of real drama. I'm more compelled to flip drugs for cash than I am to go on any specific missions. I just did one that involved fire bombing and I wasn't motivated by a character or even the setting. It was a very clear aiming game. It was fun, but it wasn't anything like a GTAIV mission, where there's tension and at least some sense of gravity. This game has all the pieces of a GTA, and they're fun to visit in ten minute chunks, and for that it should be well commended, but this isn't anywhere near GTAIV's level of experience.
Obviously it comes down to how much one gives a shit about immersion. As much as I wanted to put a hole in Dmitri in GTA4, most of the missions were a slog, and pushing forward for the sake of entertaining characters just isn't as fun to me as entertaining gameplay with shallow characters and story. Optimally you have both, of course, but we don't. So we're comparing two games that trade off one aspect for the sake of the other.

Chinatown Wars' missions are far more varied (objectively) and more fun (subjectively). Personally I just didn't need that level of "immersion" to enjoy it more than GTA4.

Joe Shlabotnik said:
Obviously it comes down to how much one gives a shit about immersion. As much as I wanted to put a hole in Dmitri in GTA4, most of the missions were a slog, and pushing forward for the sake of entertaining characters just isn't as fun to me as entertaining gameplay with shallow characters and story. Optimally you have both, of course, but we don't. So we're comparing two games that trade off one aspect for the sake of the other.

Chinatown Wars' missions are far more varied (objectively) and more fun (subjectively). Personally I just didn't need that level of "immersion" to enjoy it more than GTA4.

Like I said, I'm having a lot of fun with it, and I see what you're saying, but I just feel like GTAIV is just a blatantly more accomplished experience.

GTAIV is wholly immersive, but lacks in the fun department. I just feel like it took itself too seriously and sucked out a lot of the fun the previous games had, which CW now brings back but throws away immersion and realism out the window. They are very different experiences and aim for different things - they're like on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Magicpaint said:
GTAIV is wholly immersive, but lacks in the fun department. I just feel like it took itself too seriously and sucked out a lot of the fun the previous games had, which CW now brings back but throws away immersion and realism out the window. They are very different experiences and aim for different things - they're like on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Well, I found it fun at least.

alanias

Because they didn't try to push the system too hard, I am finding there is more traffic in this game than any other GTA. All the other 3d gta's have like 4 cars on the street at once. This one has more like 10-15 and it makes it feel more like you are driving through NYC.

chunk3rvd

Sorry if this has been asked before:

I did one of the mission replays in my safehouse (the first mission) and was simply warned that "progress in mission replays would not alter my stats" or something. Once I beat it I didn't have my drugs, guns, armor and about $130,000 :(

Does this always happen?

Sleeker

alanias said:
Because they didn't try to push the system too hard, I am finding there is more traffic in this game than any other GTA. All the other 3d gta's have like 4 cars on the street at once. This one has more like 10-15 and it makes it feel more like you are driving through NYC.

yeah which means more crashing

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
While the game is kinda easy so far (I'm about 50-60% in), I think there's still too many cops around. I mean, sometimes it's almost impossible to use a pay and spray because there's either a patrolling cop or a police car around.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
rezuth said:
Is it good looking?

Yes, very, and not just in a "OH I GUESS FOR THE DS LOL" way. The graphics are very clean yet detailed, and there is heaps going on. Plenty of cars and pedestrians. Effects look nice. Looks gorgeous.

tabsina

Sleeker said:
yeah which means more crashing

I'm kind of confused if you mean crashing in terms of freezing (which it hasn't for me, so i doubt it) or crashing in terms of being a bad driver (i hated the fact that when i put GTA IV [pc] on the highest setting with respect to traffic density, it showed less cars around me than gta ds.. in a 3d environment)

Sleeker

tabsina said:
I'm kind of confused if you mean crashing in terms of freezing (which it hasn't for me, so i doubt it) or crashing in terms of being a bad driver (i hated the fact that when i put GTA IV [pc] on the highest setting with respect to traffic density, it showed less cars around me than gta ds.. in a 3d environment)

In terms of hitting other cars.
I'm not a bad or a great driver but I find it difficult to get from A to B without hitting at least a few cars.
But thats mainly because I am going fast and weaving between lanes.

tabsina

Sleeker said:
In terms of hitting other cars.
I'm not a bad or a great driver but I find it difficult to get from A to B without hitting at least a few cars.
But thats mainly because I am going fast and weaving between lanes.

Yeh, I know what you mean..

However, I have always felt that the one thing GTA lacks for a game that had its origins revolving around car theft is traffic, and to be honest, I think if they can pull off a 3d game with as much traffic as there is in GTA:CW, it'd bring some challenge or some interest back into driving - rather than hailing for a cab which is what i found myself doing within a few hours of playing gtaIV and something i didn't start doing until about 15 hours into GTA:CW.

There is no fun in driving when there isn't a challenge (well, not for me, at least)

Playing GTA IV on PC with traffic set to max is soo great. I don't get how someone can prefer less traffic in a game like GTA. If you crash, just take another car. A lot of traffic means a lot of potential new cars :D

btw brucies races in GTA IV are really funny with max traffic because the AI cannot handle the traffic and crashes every now and then :D

Wizpig

Finished the game

You know, a thing that bugs me is... lots of people on NeoGAF have a DS, lots of people here also like the GTA series... so why is this thread 16 pages only? :eek:

Haunted

Wizpig said:
Finished the game

You know, a thing that bugs me is... lots of people on NeoGAF have a DS, lots of people here also like the GTA series... so why is this thread 16 pages only? :eek:
It's actually 8 pages.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Is there any reward at all for completing all the sign jumps? I’m on 26/30 and was wondering if it’s worth scouring the map, or if I should just wait until I bump into them.

farnham

Banned
completed the game in about 12 hours

and i must say the story was very good in the last missions of the game.. so satisfying

personally i had a lot more fun with this then with gta iv

Wizpig

Found the 2 Lions :D

733e90a6e0c3592b06f0b57cad4d4f26.png

Okay, I laughed at the side-mission where
the hookers attack you to get revenge for all the times they've been picked up and then killed by players to get their money back
:lol.

lopaz

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
Okay, I laughed at the side-mission where
the hookers attack you to get revenge for all the times they've been picked up and then killed by players to get their money back
:lol.

lolol! Related, can you get hookers in this game? I wanna see some top-down car rocking

Wizpig

The 2
Xing
secret missions were fun, especially [of course] the first one.
Awesome game, it's in my DS Top-10 i think.

EatChildren

Can someone please give me a solid explanation as to what the blue swirls are? I've heard people saying they are secret post-story missions, and that you must connect online, bla bla, but I'm still not sure.

I ask because I've seen quite a few of them around the map, and was thinking that if each one is a secret mission that's quite a few for 'extra' stuff to do.

Wizpig

EatChildren said:
Can someone please give me a solid explanation as to what the blue swirls are? I've heard people saying they are secret post-story missions, and that you must connect online, bla bla, but I'm still not sure.

I ask because I've seen quite a few of them around the map, and was thinking that if each one is a secret mission that's quite a few for 'extra' stuff to do.
It's post-story and you must connect online ;P
Spoiler:
There are like 25 in the world, but only 2 will give you something: post-story, you have to find these 2
chunk3rvd said:
Sorry if this has been asked before:

I did one of the mission replays in my safehouse (the first mission) and was simply warned that "progress in mission replays would not alter my stats" or something. Once I beat it I didn't have my drugs, guns, armor and about $130,000 :(

Does this always happen?
Damn how can i have missed this post.
Same thing happened to me, but it doesn't ALWAYS happen.
It's odd.

But let me ask you: you know how in the first mission at the end the mission ends while you are outside your first house?
I entered the house while i was replaying the mission, before [or while] the game was telling me "mission complete" and returning me to the main game, so if you did the same thing we are 100% sure that's the bug.
Otherwise... could it be the first mission "in general"?
Other missions i replayed don't bug your weapons or money. :/

fresquito

Well, I'm not going to say anything that hasn't been said before, but still. This game is brilliant. It blows my mind on so many regards.

- Graphics and physics are impressive for the DS. They're pretty smooth most of the time, and except for some lazy camera angle, the game looks astonishin for the DS. The details of the storms, the rain, people using umbrellas. Everything in real time, streamlined... it's an awesome engineering job, really.
- The drug market is very entertaining as well. In fact, I've been mostly playing it for the last couple of days.
- The GPS is a steap ahead of the one found in GTA4 (I play with the marks on the road, although when playing side missions is better to trace your own way). I find it very telling, because this way you get to see how R* has worked on the traffic directions.
- I haven't played many missions. So far are easy and fast.
- The police mechanic is a bit of a mixed bag. It's more entertaining than having to escape from a magic circle, but on the other hand, they appear from everywhere. Sometimes they will just crash themselves for no reason, why other times you will be doing your best to make them crash, but they won't.
- Aiming sucks.
- Driving is surprisingly responsible thanks to drive assists.
- Story so far is unsurprising, but the writting is typical GTA.
- Music blows, I can only stand one of the stations. Sound effects on the other hand are great.

I'm loving it.

Vinci

Danish
Quick update: This is a really awesome game. Most fun I've had in a GTA game since 3, back when doing random horrible shit was still fun.

Played through all the story missions, just need to do all the other stuff now. :lol

One thing that really bothers me: you can't get a sniper rifle outside of missions. :(

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I pretty much just got off the plane and I know this game is going to be awesome. Driving around the city I immediately recognized Packie's place when I passed it, that is so cool. The driving is fun, and for the DS, the graphics are great too. I think the art style has a lot to do with it.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Topher said:
I pretty much just got off the plane and I know this game is going to be awesome. Driving around the city I immediately recognized Packie's place when I passed it, that is so cool. The driving is fun, and for the DS, the graphics are great too. I think the art style has a lot to do with it.

Brucie's garage is in as well:D

lopaz

Banned
Once you've finished the game, it kinda doesn't have much appeal. The city has barely anything to do - a lot more street races and a lot less time trials would have been better, and it's a shame you can't fly the helicopters.

Wizpig

fresquito said:
- Music blows, I can only stand one of the stations. Sound effects on the other hand are great.

I'm loving it.
Jazz and Techno stations are great, i think.
Just like in every other GTA:lol

Oreoleo

lopaz said:
Once you've finished the game, it kinda doesn't have much appeal. The city has barely anything to do - a lot more street races and a lot less time trials would have been better, and it's a shame you can't fly the helicopters.

After you beat the game and do everything for 30 hours there's nothing to do and everything's boring!!!

lopaz

Banned
Orellio said:
After you beat the game and do everything for 30 hours there's nothing to do and everything's boring!!!

Alright point taken, but it *could* have had more lasting appeal with a couple changes. It's still a great game

Oreoleo

lopaz said:
Alright point taken, but it *could* have had more lasting appeal with a couple changes. It's still a great game

Yeah I hear ya. But people said the same thing a few months after GTA4 came out ( "OMGZ there's nothing to do in this city.") and that game doesn't have rampages, or fireman/taxi driver side missions. At least you clarified what you meant; to suggest the game doesn't have lasting appeal is selling it very short.

schlew

I'm having trouble locating some of the areas the game keeps mentioning. One was the Gun Club (which was answered above), but I still can't find two more...

1. The lot for sale your Uncle mentions in an email that's $5000 and located in East Island City that he wants you to buy (the email arrives pretty early in the game)

2. The car dealership that resides in BOABO, I'm being told there's new stock.

I understand the exploration aspect of the game, but I've searched high and low in these areas, and I can't find a thing, even in the GPS menu.

lopaz

Banned
schlew said:
I'm having trouble locating some of the areas the game keeps mentioning. One was the Gun Club (which was answered above), but I still can't find two more...

1. The lot for sale your Uncle mentions in an email that's $5000 and located in East Island City that he wants you to buy (the email arrives pretty early in the game)

2. The car dealership that resides in BOABO, I'm being told there's new stock.

I understand the exploration aspect of the game, but I've searched high and low in these areas, and I can't find a thing, even in the GPS menu.

There should be a big billboard above the dealership saying TURISMO with a picture of a car. Houses that you've yet to buy should be marked on the GPS in green. Remember to favourite anything useful once you find it, or you may never find it again!

schlew

lopaz said:
There should be a big billboard above the dealership saying TURISMO with a picture of a car. Houses that you've yet to buy should be marked on the GPS in green. Remember to favourite anything useful once you find it, or you may never find it again!

Awesome, thanks a lot.

Really fun game, I've stopped playing GTA IV because of an annoying mission, so it feels good to be enjoying a GTA title again.

Edit: Actually, my only safehouse is green. The one's I don't own are blue. Am I supposed to be able to pay for my starter safehouse? It doesn't appear to let me do so.

crispyben

schlew said:
Perfect...thought it was an odd name for an area....
It's a reference to the DUMBO (Down Under Manhattan Bridge Overpass) area of New York, and it means Beneath the Offramp of the Algonquin Bridge Overpass. This should help you find it!

Top Bottom