• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official GTA: Chinatown Wars thread

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I urge every person who likes this game to register at the rockstar social club thingie. They put up a map with all the Rampage missions with a different color indicating if you already found it or not.

Plus the second post ending bonus mission has you driving a tank and wrecking havoc in the city :D

I've seen people post their rank in the lion's retrieval... I'm the 1892nd!

There's also something called Mr Wong's Laundromat coming soon and probably more maps.

EDIT : I've been looking at my stat page and it is giving out missions you didn't found yet. I'm getting giddy at the fact there's 2 single Time Trials, 2 sets of car specific TT and 2 races I've yet to find!

And I'm at 91% completion after playing the game for 22 hours.

Oreoleo

crispyben said:
It's a reference to the DUMBO (Down Under Manhattan Bridge Overpass) area of New York, and it means Beneath the Offramp of the Algonquin Bridge Overpass. This should help you find it!

Holy shit. This should be in the mind-blowing videogame facts thread.

Neiteio

kryptikjoker said:
Just saw next week's Best Buy ad. GTA is on sale for $19.99. There is no reason not to get it now.
When does this sale begin and end? My brother and I are each thinking of picking up a copy. If we can find it new at that price, we'll bite.

Vinci

Danish
Neiteio said:
When does this sale begin and end? My brother and I are each thinking of picking up a copy. If we can find it new at that price, we'll bite.

It was more than worth it at its original price, so yeah, definitely grab it then.

Neiteio

Vinci said:
It was more than worth it at its original price, so yeah, definitely grab it then.
I believe you, but we've been busy with other games (RE5, baby!), and only now are we getting around to GTA:CTW. It's nice when sales work out around the same time.

Anyone know when the Best Buy sale begins/ends?

dexterslu

I picked up China Town Wars (got it for 12 bucks - 20 bucks off with a purchase of DSi and my discount at GameStop) loving it so far! The Drug Wars stuff is incredibly addicting..

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Neiteio said:
I believe you, but we've been busy with other games (RE5, baby!), and only now are we getting around to GTA:CTW. It's nice when sales work out around the same time.

Anyone know when the Best Buy sale begins/ends?
This Sunday. One week.

Neiteio

Anyone try the multiplayer? I assume it takes multiple carts, right? My brother and I are each picking up a copy, and I was wondering if there's any good multiplayer we can enjoy when we both have a copy.

Guys and girls, I need help...

1.) Where is the gun training shop? I can't seem to find it, and I've received an e-mail recently telling me to go there for new weapons training.

2.) Is there a way for me to bookmark a particular drug seller (and the exact drugs he/she is selling) for future reference? I can't seem to remember which drug dealer sells what, and my peeps are hungry for some good heroin that I can't find.

Fowler

I keep seeing areas that have a little vortex of swirling lights in them... but whenever I walk into one nothing happens. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? You drive past one on that little island that's basically an intersection for the bridges between Algonquin, Bohan and Dukes.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
NintendosBooger said:
Guys and girls, I need help...

1.) Where is the gun training shop? I can't seem to find it, and I've received an e-mail recently telling me to go there for new weapons training.

2.) Is there a way for me to bookmark a particular drug seller (and the exact drugs he/she is selling) for future reference? I can't seem to remember which drug dealer sells what, and my peeps are hungry for some good heroin that I can't find.

1. Can someone else answer this as well? I don't know where it is either.

2. As for this, check the "Trade Info" section on your PDA. It shows you where all dealers are located, their supply, and where to find other drugs.

17 measly pages on one of the best DS games out there?

Man this game is gooood!
I bought it a while back but saved opening it till I got my DSi... and this game delivers! It's wicked cool and charming!

I love the combination of old-skool top down presentation with modern game design choices. Touch screen is also surprisingly fun if a little gimmicky... but it's all in good fun.

And although it's low res overall, there's so much clever little details and life that it's not hard to get sucked into the world... or maybe because it's more abstract (text dialogue and no real cutscenes) than the rest of the modern GTA it becomes more involving for me to process the layer of abstraction. Kind of like the pleasure you get when reading a comic and making that mental jump from panel to panel.

Anyway it's Fffin great and I recommend everyone to play with headphones on!

Were the PSP games anywhere as good as Chinatown Wars?

Forkball

The gun club is near the airport:

IMG_1470.JPG

IMG_1472.JPG

You can hear guns being shot when you get close to it. It has some fun minigames, but the sniper mission is freaking impossible to get a gold on.

Haunted

And that's why you always deposit your shit in the little red box in your home(s).

I only took it out when I knew a deal's going to go down.

Vinci

Danish
Haunted said:
And that's why you always deposit your shit in the little red box in your home(s).

I only take it out when I know a deal's going to go down.

That wasn't the issue. I was, in fact, heading back to a safehouse when I got busted. Just bad luck is all.

Haunted

Vinci said:
That wasn't the issue. I was, in fact, heading back to a safehouse when I got busted. Just bad luck is all.
True.

Can't even count the times where I just wanted to get from point A to B with no pressure whatsoever and stupidly bumped into a cop car resulting in a hilarious chase sequence, which then escalated into a fucking three star run with helis and shit everywhere.

Classic GTA. :D

Fowler said:
I keep seeing areas that have a little vortex of swirling lights in them... but whenever I walk into one nothing happens. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? You drive past one on that little island that's basically an intersection for the bridges between Algonquin, Bohan and Dukes.
They are useless for you at the moment. After you've finished the game, there are two dog statues to be found in these blue whirls. You'll get two extra missions after finding them and synchronizing with the Social Club.

+Aliken+

What a great game!
Been playing for around a week and I ma getting more and more hooked.

I really hope this has some legs, please god let it have legs.

Vinci

Danish
Haunted said:
True.

Can't even count the times where I just wanted to get from point A to B with no pressure whatsoever and stupidly bumped into a cop car resulting in a hilarious chase sequence, which then escalated into a fucking three star run with helis and shit everywhere.

In that scenario when I lost the drugs? I was quietly driving down the street. Stopped when others did in front of me. I was a model driver.

Then I got side-swiped by a car that knocked me into a police car, and the chase was on. Ordinarily, getting away from the police isn't such a huge deal - but it was like everything was against me that time.

It sucked.

That said, it's still likely becoming my favorite GTA game.

It's odd how you can hold 50 bricks of cocaine, chainsaw half the police force and get into a rocket fight with a helicopter, but as soon as you kill yourself with your own molotov in the middle of said war you wake up happily ever after at the hospital with absolutely no penalty sans the $200 medical fees. :lol

Oh yeah, does this game use WPA for the internet stuff?

Vinci said:
Haunted said:
True.

uhm, you can save everytime, everywhere with your pda :)

Neiteio

Today I picked up two copies at Best Buy, one for me and one for my brother. I'm not done with finals yet, so studying is top priority (well, studying and NeoGAF), but I looked over the map included with the game and wow, the city looks huuuuuuge. Does it feel as immense as it looks?

I'll probably start playing this tomorrow night.

wsippel

Banned
Neiteio said:
Today I picked up two copies at Best Buy, one for me and one for my brother. I'm not done with finals yet, so studying is top priority (well, studying and NeoGAF), but I looked over the map included with the game and wow, the city looks huuuuuuge. Does it feel as immense as it looks?

I'll probably start playing this tomorrow night.
I believe the city feels absolutely huge. More so than on the console versions, because you always only see so little due to the overhead perspective. It's really easy to get lost in this game. :lol

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
It is huge, in fact it's just missing a little part from GTAIV map, that should give you an idea of how big the whole area is;
*But*, the fact that you'll likely almost always be driving a car, it makes the city feels all a bit samey.
That's why I suggest you take your time and get out of the car sometimes, just take a walk and enjoy discovering all the neat things around and attention to details that R* Leeds has put into this game.

One thing I've started doing a lot, when money wasn't a huge concern anymore, was using the cabs to go places... love the whistling :lol

Also,scratch 'n win:

Only use the $15 one, go in with at least $300 dollars to blow, take your time (15 minutes?) and you'll win A LOT, and probably a new house as well.

Just to reiterate, awesome game, TOP5 DS material and by a large margin the best western effort on the machine, no doubt about it.

Vinci said:
In that scenario when I lost the drugs? I was quietly driving down the street. Stopped when others did in front of me. I was a model driver.

Then I got side-swiped by a car that knocked me into a police car, and the chase was on. Ordinarily, getting away from the police isn't such a huge deal - but it was like everything was against me that time.

It sucked.

That said, it's still likely becoming my favorite GTA game.

For my Heroin Bust, I drove all the way across town just to get heroin (because for some reason it's scarce as hell, even for a high priced powder,) to the one dealer I had access to that specialized in dealing heroin, bought as much as he had, then got caught in a bust (which always seems to happen when I make big deals.)

No car around, so I steal a cops' when he jumps out (man cop cars are FAST) the proceed to drive all over town, at one point driving through a blazing gas station, only to slam into a tree and get busted as I was backing up, which is how I ALWAYS GET FUCKING BUSTED AARGH.

Great game though.

Damn you, GAF! I walked into Best Buy's $10 sale and walked out with GTA: Chinatown Wars and Peggle: Dual Shot (each $20) and no $10 games. :lol

GAF,

I'm not going anywhere in this game, because I'm spending more time slanging heroin and coke than I am on the vital missions. Every time I'm in the middle of something important, I get an e-mail from some guy telling me that they want to unload some good dope on me for cheap, and I feel compelled to oblige the young entrepreneur.

Plus, it doesn't help the important missions' case that I get 10s of thousands of dollars pushing that good shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit in comparison to the chump change I get from the real missions.

Does there come a point where I have more money than I need? Also, will my drug connects come back if I keep ignoring their e-mails, because on more than one occasion they've threatened to go to another buyer?

Dash Kappei said:
So you should thank us :)

I am very thankful. :D

GTA: Chinatown Wars is fantastic, and a real breath of fresh air.

It feels like a modern day GTA game (meaning 3 and up), but it also forges its own path on the DS. I love it.

It's still on sale at Best Buy for $20 (through Saturday, I believe), so for anyone who is even still on the fence, GO!

Forkball

NintendosBooger said:
Does there come a point where I have more money than I need? Also, will my drug connects come back if I keep ignoring their e-mails, because on more than one occasion they've threatened to go to another buyer?

Depending on how well you do, there may be long gaps where you won't have to deal. However the game does a good job at making you come back to dealing as safehouses are expensive and I always ran through ammo and body armor, so I was constantly buying new ones. And the drug dealers won't ignore you or go to another buyer if you don't buy from them, it's just empty threats to make the dialogue seem more real.

Scipius

NintendosBooger said:

Once you've bought all the safehouses the only things left to spend money on are weapons or cars. As far as I know, they will come back. Keep in mind that there's 80 dealers in total though, not all of them will e-mail you at once.

fresquito

This game is full of awesome. The other day I discovered thekart races. They're simple, but fun. I got gold medal in each of them. Today, after reading this thread, I entered the gun club. Again, simple but fun. I've gotten a gold medal in each of the unlocked weapons. Only sniper is missing (as it's still unlocked).

BTW, I've learned to use a fast and good taxi when dealing with my drugs. You ease the pain of having to cross the whole city and crash with a police car.

I also have learned that the best way to get a bulletproof is stealing a police wagon :D Once you get it, it's almost impossible for police cars to stop you :lol

andthebeatgoeson

DeaconKnowledge said:
For my Heroin Bust, I drove all the way across town just to get heroin (because for some reason it's scarce as hell, even for a high priced powder,) to the one dealer I had access to that specialized in dealing heroin, bought as much as he had, then got caught in a bust (which always seems to happen when I make big deals.)

No car around, so I steal a cops' when he jumps out (man cop cars are FAST) the proceed to drive all over town, at one point driving through a blazing gas station, only to slam into a tree and get busted as I was backing up, which is how I ALWAYS GET FUCKING BUSTED AARGH.

Great game though.

So, you suck? :p

Forkball

I won't have wireless until late May, boo!

But I really have to applaud Rockstar for all the effort they are putting into the game. DLC for the DS? Madness!

By the way, you guys DO know that all the major landmarks in town can be accessed via your GPS, right? I can't remember the exact button, but somewhere in the GPS app it shows you exactly where things like the gun club, race track and dealership are and lets you create a GPS lead to it.

Top Bottom