• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official GTA: Chinatown Wars thread

Mamesj

Banned
stuminus3 said:
I don't really get why this kind of thing has to be mentioned. I mean, no shit Sherlock. DS game not as pretty as an Xbox 360 game confirmed!

I know. and both the 1UP and Eurogamer articles went on about how it's not GTA4, as if people were wondering...wow, very astute observations guys!

Just as annoying as when an obvious single-player only game is bashed for not having online MP.

Tobor

sykoex said:
Those 5 years were sans GTA though.

Is this your polite way of saying you don't own a DS, and you want to know if this one game is worth it?

Not owning a DS this gen is like not owning a PS2 last gen, by the way.

Kifimbo

sykoex said:
People who've gotten the game early: Would you say this is the DS Killer App?

Nintendogs and Brain Age were DS killer apps. Maybe not quality-wise, but they sold a lot a consoles and defined the console that we know today.

I'm really happy that Chinatown Wars is great. Can't wait.

Mamesj

Banned
Starchasing said:
dont fool yourself ... those are very high quality games... but they were designed for girls and old people

his point is that they sold more copies and systems than even GTA will.

A killer app is something that makes the system worth owning to lots and lots of people, regardless of whatever you think the quality is.

stuminus3

Starchasing said:
dont fool yourself ... those are very high quality games... but they were designed for girls and old people
gtfo with that shit, this isn't the place for that kind of discussion.

Starchasing said:

Fuck that. Nintendogs freakin rules, no matter who you are. Brain Age is cool, too, but Big Brain Academy is more my style.

Back to GTA, I just may pick this up, I enjoyed what I played, but I'm weary of these write-ups and scores.

Scipius

Starchasing said:

I was wondering where this remark and the "Killer App" one came from, but I guess the last stragglers that do not yet have a DS are finally becoming interested in owning one. To those people, this would be their killer, must-own app.

My god, as if they haven't sold enough of the things already... Where will it end?

Meier said:
Wow, I figured this would be shit and haven't paid any attention to it. These reviews are shocking. :eek:

Really? It's got "Grand Theft Auto" in the title, you weren't expecting it to get high scores regardless?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Man, I really want this game for some reason. I'm not a big 3D GTA fan, but the 2D games were so fun. And the drug wars aspect just looks awesome.

Gaahhh... I need to find a local shop that'll break street date.

Tobor

rainking187 said:
Really? It's got "Grand Theft Auto" in the title, you weren't expecting it to get high scores regardless?

Nobody thought the DS could handle GTA properly, nobody. This is an awesome effort by R* Leeds.

Well, the reviews have sold me. Looks like I'm picking up another portable game again tomorrow. Seriously, there are too many portable games worth picking up here just recently (Ys 1&2, Avalon Code, Prinny, Docomodake, Retro Game Challenge) and in the very near future (GTA:CTW, Tokyo Beat Down, Rhythm Heaven, Hammerin' Hero...and that's not including the all the iPhone stuff I buy).

Tobor said:
Nobody thought the DS could handle GTA properly, nobody. This is an awesome effort by R* Leeds.

I'm pretty sure anyone with knowledge of GTA before GTA3 knew it could be done quite easily. Or even people who didn't thought Leeds was some shit team. Leeds already worked magic with GTA Liberty City and Vice City stories on the PSP, essentially taking the gameplay of GTA3 and Vice City, expanding them in some ways, and putting them on a handheld system without much sacrificed. The only thing really surprising about these Chinatown Wars reviews is that they actually are doing some creative, and some overwrought, things with the touch screen. The majority of the things, like interacting with mini-games and stuff are interesting; I just hope things like the grenade lobbing mentioned in the IGN review aren't as bad as they make it seem.

My only real issue at this point with Chinatown Wars is that Nintendo sucks and isn't realizing the DSi until April 5th, so I'm probably going to buy it Wednesday and hold off on playing it. Henry Hatsworth and Resistance PSP can keep me busy until then (hopefully.)

stuminus3

Hmm... apparently the closest Best Buy to here has this in stock, but there's Tamil protesters out there today from here to way past where Best Buy is. Do I fight the crowds and chance a disappointment or do I just wait til tomorrow?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Meier said:
Wow, I figured this would be shit and haven't paid any attention to it. These reviews are shocking. :eek:

For some reason I thought Mad Doc was doing this. Thank god they didn't. Now look, we have an amazing game!

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Joe Shlabotnik said:
Is there something super-awesome about playing this on the DSi that I'm not aware of, besides better sound?
Slightly better d-pad, from what I've heard anyways.

Is this really different in gameplay and tone from the recent 3D PS2 games?

I didn't really like those versions (controls felt sloppy and very unpolished) but the simpler gameplay style of the DS game (pickup and play) seems quite intriguing.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Can you change the camera so it's static like GTA1 (or that "classic" camera from GTA3) or does it always follow you behind the back?

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
Here's my review:

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/03/16/grand-theft-auto-chinatown-wars-scoreless-review-from-a-world-without-a-ps2/

It’s from this other world that “Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars” arrives, a game that’s essentially an alternate-universe “Grand Theft Auto III” boasting all the design smarts and daring of an official “GTA” as well as the creative risks not seen in the PSP “GTA”s.

Lots to dig in there in what's currently my favorite game of the year

lopaz

Banned
Why does any game bother having multi-card multiplayer on DS anyway, it's never going to be used. Single-card or bust.

Forkball

I still don't know what to think about this game. I know GTA has it's origins in the top down 2D form, but I'm not sure how the excitement, craziness, and mayhem can translate to the DS.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
lopaz said:
Why does any game bother having multi-card multiplayer on DS anyway, it's never going to be used. Single-card or bust.
Agreed. Single-card multi is great. Good way to entice others to pick up titles too.

soldat7

Diablohead said:
slightly larger screens.

Wouldn't this (DSi) just make DS games more pixelated? I'm a little worried about not being able to read signs in this game. I certainly can't discern them from static screenshots...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
for you amazoners, just shipped after i ordered a few hours ago. nicely played amazon

Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC):

1 Grand Theft Auto: Chinatow... $34.99 1 $34.99

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Item Subtotal: $34.99

Total: $34.99

via UPS (estimated delivery date: March 17,2009).

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
Forkball said:
I still don't know what to think about this game. I know GTA has it's origins in the top down 2D form, but I'm not sure how the excitement, craziness, and mayhem can translate to the DS.

It all does. It works really well.

I'm interested in what i'm seeing here and will probably get this, but i'm kind of wary of the 10s. It just seems like that GTA Bias sneaking in again.

Only a couple of missions in, but I can't believe how intuitively everything works. The streets seem a tad narrow, the cars maybe a little fast, but that could all just be a playing style adjustment. So far nothing is a pain in the ass. I enjoy gun combat! Holy shit!

Also I'm pretty sure the gunshot sound is the same sample used in "Paper Planes" (or very similar). I can't help firing it rhythmically.

Yes Boss!

stephentotilo said:
Here's my review:

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/03/16/grand-theft-auto-chinatown-wars-scoreless-review-from-a-world-without-a-ps2/

Lots to dig in there in what's currently my favorite game of the year

Wow, great write-up Stephen. I hope Rockstar sees success with this game. I'm a casual GTA player and consequently never bought the PSP remakes but this original title has really got me amped.

AstroLad said:
for you amazoners, just shipped after i ordered a few hours ago. nicely played amazon

Gotta love Prime! Overnight on this sucker. Mine went out earlier today for tomorrow delivery.

DeaconKnowledge said:
I'm interested in what i'm seeing here and will probably get this, but i'm kind of wary of the 10s. It just seems like that GTA Bias sneaking in again.

I dunno, looks like Rockstar really went all out to make something original for an original platform. It is refreshing coming from a top-tier developer. Sure, it is gonna rise to the top of the heap at metacritic but that is just because sites generally rate handheld games lower across the board.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I was skeptical at first thanks to by GTA IV burning, but I may likely buy this game if you guys have enough glowing hands-on impressions.

Tobor

Linkzg said:
I'm pretty sure anyone with knowledge of GTA before GTA3 knew it could be done quite easily. Or even people who didn't thought Leeds was some shit team. Leeds already worked magic with GTA Liberty City and Vice City stories on the PSP, essentially taking the gameplay of GTA3 and Vice City, expanding them in some ways, and putting them on a handheld system without much sacrificed. The only thing really surprising about these Chinatown Wars reviews is that they actually are doing some creative, and some overwrought, things with the touch screen. The majority of the things, like interacting with mini-games and stuff are interesting; I just hope things like the grenade lobbing mentioned in the IGN review aren't as bad as they make it seem.

My only real issue at this point with Chinatown Wars is that Nintendo sucks and isn't realizing the DSi until April 5th, so I'm probably going to buy it Wednesday and hold off on playing it. Henry Hatsworth and Resistance PSP can keep me busy until then (hopefully.)

If you go back and look at the thread where Chinatown Wars was unveiled, there was mostly skepticism and outright dismissal. GAF being GAF. That was my only point.

Reading Stephen's review, I really, really want to see a GTA Wii now. Just to see what Leeds could pull off with the interface.

And Best Buy sucks, they wouldn't sell it until tomorrow. :(

Top Bottom