• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is making it?
DTL

EDIT: I can give it a go with all the fixings, but it wouldn't be completely finished until next week with all the stuff I'd want to add to it, plus being out of the country right now. At the very least, it would have a pretty header! I might go crazy like I did with the EXVS Full Boost OT. :3

RangerBAD

DTL

EDIT: I can give it a go with all the fixings, but it wouldn't be completely finished until next week with all the stuff I'd want to add to it, plus being out of the country right now. At the very least, it would have a pretty header! I might go crazy like I did with the EXVS Full Boost OT. :3

DTL for real?

46Osh8Y.png

gg sunrise

Reconguista in G Episode 6

Why they make Bell tie his hair up, I liked it with it down, bad design choice.

Also the G-self took a step in the wrong direction. Giving Gundam's shields always looks kind of goofy because they look quite heavy and should inhibit mobility and speed. The reflectors was good in concept but bad in practice. Additionally they really only looked great once deployed. However, I think they should have made attempts to emulate the mechanisms that bits typically do in Gundams. Having movable reflectors or ones that can be individually controlled would have greatly enhanced this decent fight.

Show still fails to make things serious
putting chuchummy there as Bell is weeping for his Dellessen was pretty offensive to Bell :(

PhiLonius

I would love to know how this actually happened. I was never really aware of what went on over there outside of the stuff that went on with Victory.

A combination of depression, Bandai exec meddling, and working through the depression (Turn A and A New Translation), I would think.

A combination of depression, Bandai exec meddling, and working through the depression (Turn A and A New Translation), I would think.
Makes sense. Since he worked on both Zeta and Victory while depressed is there an exact reason why he shits on Victory but not Zeta? Was he depressed during Ideon as well?

Gee I wonder
It's an acquired taste. Biggest hurdle in my opinion is the crying of Karlmann more than anything else. Chronicle is one of the chumpiest chumps of UC, but Katejina was an interesting villain. I don't think anybody mentally fucked with the main character more than she did, or score as many kill shots on the good side. How many of Uso's friends did she take out? I honestly dare somebody to name every member of the Shrike Team. I mean yeah the show has its problems but I found it to be quite watchable. Still trying to figure out where Tomino got a fridge big enough to hold all those damn women though.

PhiLonius

It's an acquired taste. Biggest hurdle in my opinion is the crying of Karlmann more than anything else. Chronicle is one of the chumpiest chumps of UC, but Katejina was an interesting villain. I don't think anybody mentally fucked with the main character more than she did, or score as many kill shots on the good side. How many of Uso's friends did she take out? I honestly dare somebody to name every member of the Shrike Team. I mean yeah the show has its problems but I found it to be quite watchable. Still trying to figure out where Tomino got a fridge big enough to hold all those damn women though.

All the wheels were his cries for help.

Leunam

How many volumes is the hardcover Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin series? I've only picked up the first volume so far and I think I saw four other books.

Leunam

Cool, thanks. This means I've got plenty of stuff to read. I'm in the middle of the second section and I'm enjoying it so far. I've always been somewhat familiar with the original series, but the only Gundam I've ever watched was Wing, 8th Team, War in the Pocket, and the first three episodes of Unicorn.

Wubby

I've mentioned before on here about G-Recon kits not selling as well as Build Fighter kits... I was surprised when I went to one of my local electronic shops today to see that all G-Reco kits were marked 50% off! All kits except Grimore anyway...

I never bought these last two when they came out so picked them up. Also picked up another space backpack to use with a Ball.

NEO0MJ

I've mentioned before on here about G-Recon kits not selling as well as Build Fighter kits... I was surprised when I went to one of my local electronic shops today to see that all G-Reco kits were marked 50% off! All kits except Grimore anyway...

A real shame, that is. Age kinda deserved it but not G-Reco.

Beth Cyra

I never bought these last two when they came out so picked them up. Also picked up another space backpack to use with a Ball.

While I don't care.for.the G Reco stuff as whole, the Gaeon.is freaking amazing and in of the best designs ever.

Gundam Seed Destiny HD Remaster BD Episode 20

Good trip down memory lane with Shinn narration. I missed Natarle. Its good to see this weekly considering the type of stuff in G-reco and Build Fighters Try. Serious war stuff with mechas is vastly fascinating.

Damn. The G-Reco suits are some of my favorite designs ever. I've bought a good chunk of them.

yami4ct

Finished my initial build of the MG Double X today. Will take some photos later, but thought I'd throw out some quick impressions now.

Positives:
-The reflector pieces are absolutely gorgeous. The satellite panels in particular don't photograph well, but they shine in an amazing way when the light hits them right. The bits on the arms and legs being a sort of metallic plastic instead of chrome was an odd choice, but they work well enough.
-The way the weapons are made is really interesting. The shield connector seems a bit odd at first, but when you see how it works to enable it to still be attached with deployed reflectors it becomes really cool. The hip mounts for the beam sabers are really well engineered and allow for pretty much any pose you want either with the DX grabbing them while still attached or using the sabers themselves. Also adore the giant effect parts for them. The satellite cannons themselves of course look badass
-They really didn't do much adjusting to the original design. This is the least tweaked MG design I've seen in a while, but since I adore the original I think it really works. Some added vents, minor tweaks to the proportions, some slight tweaks to the side beard spikes and panel details are pretty much it for changes.
-Very minor plus, but I like the way the MG has an integrated cover for the G-Falcon connector port. That little sliding panel is a really clever bit of deign. Hopefully we do eventually get a MG G-Falcon as has been hinted by some people who would know such things.

Negatives:
-Not very many, but the biggest is that the ankle designs are awful. Not sure why they went with this weird ankle covering connector design, but it sucks. Makes it tricky to pose and the ankles are weak as hell out of the box. Given how top heavy he is, this is a bad thing. You can make them work, but it's far from ideal. I would certainly recommend getting a stand for him.
-Nubs everywhere! Probably the most cleanup I've had to do on an MG this size. Some like the ones on the tiny vulcan canons are really tricky to get to as well. Feel like could have done a way better job putting them where you wouldn't have to fix, but in the end it just means some extra clean up time.
-Very bare bones accessories here. Just the minimum needed. Would have loved some deactivated reflector panels or some other effect pieces, but what's here still works.

On the side:
-Like I said, the design is very true to the original. In that sense, I think some will not really like how sparsely detailed he is compared to most MGs. I still love it.
-The satellite cannons have a weird side to side motion at the joint where the aiming cameras from the shoulders come up and connect. Doesn't hurt anything, but not sure why they're there.

Overall, adore the kit. I highly recommend anyone who's even a remote fan of the DX pick it up. So happy to see what is probably my favorite MS ever actually get an MG. Was well worth the wait.

Beth Cyra

Finished my initial build of the MG Double X today. Will take some photos later, but thought I'd throw out some quick impressions now.

Positives:
-The reflector pieces are absolutely gorgeous. The satellite panels in particular don't photograph well, but they shine in an amazing way when the light hits them right. The bits on the arms and legs being a sort of metallic plastic instead of chrome was an odd choice, but they work well enough.
-The way the weapons are made is really interesting. The shield connector seems a bit odd at first, but when you see how it works to enable it to still be attached with deployed reflectors it becomes really cool. The hip mounts for the beam sabers are really well engineered and allow for pretty much any pose you want either with the DX grabbing them while still attached or using the saber themselves. Also adore the giant effect parts for them. The satellite cannons themselves of course look badass
-They really didn't do much adjusting to the original design. This is the least tweaked MG design I've seen in a while, but since I adore the original I think it really works. Some added vents, minor tweaks to the proportions, some slight tweaks to the side beard spikes and panel details are pretty much it for changes.
-Very minor plus, but I like the way the MG has an integrated cover for the G-Falcon connector port. That little sliding panel is a really clever bit of deign. Hopefully we do eventually get a MG G-Falcon as has been hinted by some people who would know such things.

Negatives:
-Not very many, but the biggest is that the ankle designs are awful. Not sure why they went with this weird ankle covering connector design, but it sucks. Makes it tricky to pose and the ankles are weak as hell out of the box. Given how top heavy he is, this is a bad thing. You can make them work, but it's far from ideal. I would certainly recommend getting a stand for him.
-Very bare bones accessories here. Just the minimum needed. Would have loved some deactivated reflector panels or some other effect pieces, but what's here still works.

On the side:
-Like I said, the design is very true to the original. In that sense, I think some will not really like how sparsely detailed he is compared to most MGs. I still love it.
-The satellite cannons have a weird side to side motion at the joint where the aiming cameras from the shoulders come up and connect. Doesn't hurt anything, but not sure why they're there.

Overall, adore the kit. I highly recommend anyone who's even a remote fan of the DX pick it up. So happy to see what is probably my favorite MS ever actually get an MG. Was well worth the wait.
Thanks for the impressions.

I can't wait.to get DX to complete the 90 lead Gundam.collection. I got to say though I didn't think the head was.get Ryan true to the show or line at. But from what you said it appears to be. Does it come across better in person then in Pics?

yami4ct

Thanks for the impressions.

I can't wait.to get DX to complete the 90 lead Gundam.collection. I got to say though I didn't think the head was.get Ryan true to the show or line at. But from what you said it appears to be. Does it come across better in person then in Pics?

The head is the biggest change from the original. It's far more angled and Katoki-esque. They made the side beard spikes much smaller as well. I think it works mostly. It helps make the head feel a bit more proportionate given the slimmer lines of the MG in general and fits in with the way modern MGs look. I wouldn't have minded them going with the original head design, but I feel like the new one modernizes it in a good way while still evoking what made the original cool and unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom