• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

HiResDes

so after some reading, I'm looking at:

• Audiotechnica m40x (~Rp1.1-1.2m, cheaper, more worth it than m50x?) / m50x (~1.9m, the more I read the reviews, the more unsure I've become lol),
  • Shure SRH 440 (~1.5m, similar perf to 840 without amp?),
  • Beyer DT770 (~2.5m here, not really portable compared to the others).
  • other brands?
gonna be using these just for listening to music, youtube, and some gaming, just general use.
Also important is comfort (I wear specs) and reliability I guess, don't wanna have one snap on me again :p
If anyone here has used them, impression is appreciated as so far I can't find place that lets me try all of these in Jakarta lol
What's your budget, where are you from, what kind of sound are you envisioning? They need to be portable I take it.

Arex

What's your budget, where are you from, what kind of sound are you envisioning? They need to be portable I take it.

I'm from Indonesia, I suppose $100 to $150 if converted from rupiah (I can go a bit more if it's worth it), anyway price increases by about $15-25 here haha

What kind of sound I like is a problem, I never really had headphones other than my Sony mdr-zx750bn so I can't say much, I want clear/ not muddy and not too much bass sound I suppose.

And actually I don't need them to be portable, just over the ear and closed one as I don't want much sound to leak out when I listen to music. It's just a plus if it's portable :)

Arex

SHP9500 have great comfort and are good when wearing glasses.
They're open headphone right? The reviews and price are great, but I can't have the sound blasting out in the middle of the night haha

I'd suggest checking our Lendmeurears or mp4nation for the cheapest shipping options.
Maybe some German Maestro
The price is probably out of my range lol
I'll look around local shops first before going to online, as I may be going to Singapore soon, so I might shop there instead if I can't find one here. I think I've been to that Adelphi shop before haha

0NhH5Dq.jpg

I bought some Schiit. :D

Hehehe, really happy with it.

One Q: Should I use high or low gain with the beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm? Currently on High. Don't know if I'm doing it right. #noob

Chittagong

Gold Member
One Q: Should I use high or low gain with the beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm? Currently on High. Don't know if I'm doing it right. #noob

I think people say that you should be always at as low gain as you can get sufficient volume out of, as adding gain increases noise. Only if you can't get enough volume from the knob you should go high gain.

Similarly I've understood that the input to your DAC should be at maximum volume from your computer / console, so that the source doesn't artificially reduce the signal.

In case I'm wrong I'm sure I'll be corrected swiftly here.

So for the past few weeks, I have been comparing my Modi2U/Vali2 stack against my new Bifrost4490/Valhalla2 stack.

Most every comparison I use has the new stack coming out slightly ahead. Usually with a little more well defined kick in the bass and better resolution in the higher octaves. I'm almost convinced this is mostly the DAC as the Vali 2 and Valhalla 2 are surprisingly both very competent amps. (surprising in that they are almost equal)

With the new Modi 2 Uber being upgraded to the 4490 chip, I'm half tempted to sell my new setup and either get the new Modi 2 Uber or wait for the mystery Modi sized DAC (Modi multibit?).

On the plus side, I could use the extra funds to finally get the THX00 which supposedly sounds sublime with metal. (plus the THX00 will pair nicely with the Vali 2, not so much with the Valhalla 2)

Clearly a scam.. why even bother? No one is going to undersell by almost 50% for no reason.

It's certainly suspicious. But they only had 3 available. If they were intending to rip off a whole lot of people, I'd suspect they would have made more available. And really in the end, I'm covered by amazon's policy.

Going to find out soon enough however. They've already shipped!!!

Rimshot

I am very new to headphone amps and dacs, and I was hoping to be able to get some input here. For now I have been looking at the:

* NuForce uDAC 3
* Arcam rPAC
* Schiit Magni 2 + Modi 2 combo

Is anyone of them preferable over the rest? Or should I be looking at something completely different for the amount of money?

NotSelf

I am very new to headphone amps and dacs, and I was hoping to be able to get some input here. For now I have been looking at the:

* NuForce uDAC 3
* Arcam rPAC
* Schiit Magni 2 + Modi 2 combo

Is anyone of them preferable over the rest? Or should I be looking at something completely different for the amount of money?

The Schiit Magni 2 + Modi 2 combo seems very well regarded here i've tried the amp it can drive just about any headphone even at it's lowest setting it gets very loud. Three things I didn't like about the Magni 2 it gets very hot the lowest setting was still to loud for me and there was a channel imbalance meaning I was getting audio first on right when turning the vol up from 0 also turning the nob was not very smooth.

I personally went with a O2 it did everything I wanted well with JDS labs I could even request a amp setting of 1.0.

Rimshot

The Schiit Magni 2 + Modi 2 combo seems very well regarded here i've tried the amp it can drive just about any headphone even at it's lowest setting it gets very loud. Three things I didn't like about the Magni 2 it gets very hot the lowest setting was still to loud for me and there was a channel imbalance meaning I was getting audio first on right when turning the vol up from 0 also turning the nob was not very smooth.

I personally went with a O2 it did everything I wanted well with JDS labs I could even request a amp setting of 1.0.

So you'd recommend the Objective2 above the Schiit combo? Also if going with the Schiit combo, is the uber set really worth it?

NotSelf

So you'd recommend the Objective2 above the Schiit combo? Also if going with the Schiit combo, is the uber set really worth it?

Just from personal experience of trying both amps I prefer the O2. You might like the Schiit combo there is money back guarantee if you don't like it.

The uber is nicer looking it really is an attractive amp.

EDIT 2: The uber has outs if your going to use speakers it's a good choose looks like you can also request outs for a O2 from JDS.

Arex

hmm I might just get the Audiotechnica msr7 if I can find one with good price. Seems like most says the sound quality is all around better compared to the m50x.

*edit* got them, quite satisfied so far :)
13422837_1708069092786739_776228175_n.jpg

karasu

I just jumped into this world with a pair HifiMan HE400i. The first thing I noticed was how ridiculously comfortable they are. They best headphones I had before this was a pair of AKG702's. Now I just need to pick out an amp.I mostly listen to classical music and heavy rock.

hmm I might just get the Audiotechnica msr7 if I can find one with good price. Seems like most says the sound quality is all around better compared to the m50x.

*edit* got them, quite satisfied so far :)
13422837_1708069092786739_776228175_n.jpg

Also have them. Switched out the pads for brainwavz pads and they're amazingly comfortable now to go along with the great sound.

Xeno_V

I will need some help in picking 2 sets of headphones.

My $100+ in-ear headphones died after using them for less than 2 years. I don't think that I will ever spend again that much for headphones that can easily get damaged due to tangling.

Any decent choices in the sub-$30 category? I have been reading very positive comments for Xiaomi's Piston 3. All I need is a headset. Is this ok or should i consider any alternatives?

Besides this I am considering getting another pair of headphones in the closed-back category. I am thinking of spending no more than $150 or so. I need something not very heavy so that I can use it with my phone on the way to work and at work with my computer. I think that some models could be an overkill for the reason why I need this so some help will be appreciated. Should I consider something like Sony's MDR 7506 or Audiotechnica's M40x for example? Again a headset would be more than welcome, but I think that this is quite unpopular in this category. Also a detachable wire would also be welcome I guess.

LQX

I will need some help in picking 2 sets of headphones.

My $100+ in-ear headphones died after using them for less than 2 years. I don't think that I will ever spend again that much for headphones that can easily get damaged due to tangling.

Any decent choices in the sub-$30 category? I have been reading very positive comments for Xiaomi's Piston 3. All I need is a headset. Is this ok or should i consider any alternatives?

Besides this I am considering getting another pair of headphones in the closed-back category. I am thinking of spending no more than $150 or so. I need something not very heavy so that I can use it with my phone on the way to work and at work with my computer. I think that some models could be an overkill for the reason why I need this so some help will be appreciated. Should I consider something like Sony's MDR 7506 or Audiotechnica's M40x for example? Again a headset would be more than welcome, but I think that this is quite unpopular in this category. Also a detachable wire would also be welcome I guess.
That's why I cant get myself to pay much for in-ears again as no matter how much I have paid they all ended up dying sooner or later especially if the cables are sleeved.

Monoprice has their "Enhanced Bass Hi-Fi Noise Isolating Earphones" for just $3.
http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...dium=11064683&utm_term=Slickdeals+LLC-1122587

If you want a microphone they have these for $4..
http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...dium=11064683&utm_term=Slickdeals+LLC-1122587

http://slickdeals.net/f/8839759-mon...i-fi-noise-isolating-earphones-3-more-s-h?v=1

I bought 3 of the "Enhanced Bass" ones for about $10 shipped last week. I had the them before and they are pretty damn decent but they too tangled up and had one side went out but they lasted nearly a year so I figure 3 for $10 will last me close to 3 years.

Rimshot

I bought the Sennheiser mm 550-x many years ago, when I knew I would be traveling a lot, due to the noise cancellation and cordless features. It's still a great pair of headphones, that gets used during the commute. Even though they are not on-ear, they are still on the smaller side and not that comfortable in the long run.

I therefore want to look into a pair of more comfortable headphones, but I would still like the sound to be better than my current ones if I am to spend more money on headphones. So I was hoping someone could help me with recommendations. Should I go with another pair of Sennheiser but of another model? Or should I perhaps look into the MSR7 someone posted above that looks really nice, or perhaps the B&W P series?

HiResDes

I bought the Sennheiser mm 550-x many years ago, when I knew I would be traveling a lot, due to the noise cancellation and cordless features. It's still a great pair of headphones, that gets used during the commute. Even though they are not on-ear, they are still on the smaller side and not that comfortable in the long run.

I therefore want to look into a pair of more comfortable headphones, but I would still like the sound to be better than my current ones if I am to spend more money on headphones. So I was hoping someone could help me with recommendations. Should I go with another pair of Sennheiser but of another model? Or should I perhaps look into the MSR7 someone posted above that looks really nice, or perhaps the B&W P series?
I finally got a chance to check out the Blue Lola and I really like the sound of them, they're slightly warm, but still fairly balanced.

Rimshot

I finally got a chance to check out the Blue Lola and I really like the sound of them, they're slightly warm, but still fairly balanced.

Blue does headphones as well? o.0 How has these been received by people and reviewers in general?

Using the snowball at work when recording videos.

leng jai

I don't break shit nearly as easily as ya'll, I've never actually broken any IEMs, though I've misplaced a few in the past.

I've never broken any of my full size headphones. Literally every single earphone or IEM I've had has broken in some way within 2 years (some after like 6 months). 8/10 times it's the cable, which isn't too bad since most expensive ones are detachable. I've basically stopped spending money on them now.

Rimshot

I'm quoting myself just to keep the background :x

I've been looking around a bit, and the recommendations I seem to get is the Sennheiser HD650, the ATH-MSR7 and Philipd Fidelio X2. What are your thoughts on these compared to the one I already own? Will it be an upgrade, and which is to prefer between these?

HiResDes

I'm quoting myself just to keep the background :x

I've been looking around a bit, and the recommendations I seem to get is the Sennheiser HD650, the ATH-MSR7 and Philipd Fidelio X2. What are your thoughts on these compared to the one I already own? Will it be an upgrade, and which is to prefer between these?
Didn't realize you were open to open headphones as well. I don't think the MSR7 are all that comfy. The HD650 definitely are quite comfy, but you'd need to have a fairly beefy setup to drive them well. The Fidelio X2 are comfy, can be driven fairly easy, but have some quality control issues and some technical issues with some treble peaks and recessed midrange. I still feel as though I gave you a fairly good recommendation, but the HD650, DT880, and Sony MDRMA900 are all fantastic picks if you're okay with open headphones. If I had to recommend another closed headphone it'd be the Fostex THX00.
My guess they are since the DAC alone on the picture cost 5000 USD + :)
Looks like a LCD2 and a Fostex THX00

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nah the fostex had the logo on the cups. It's the audeze lcd-xc pretty sure.

Also the chord hugo isn't $5000. Still crazy expensive though.

Rimshot

Didn't realize you were open to open headphones as well. I don't think the MSR7 are all that comfy. The HD650 definitely are quite comfy, but you'd need to have a fairly beefy setup to drive them well. The Fidelio X2 are comfy, can be driven fairly easy, but have some quality control issues and some technical issues with some treble peaks and recessed midrange. I still feel as though I gave you a fairly good recommendation, but the HD650, DT880, and Sony MDRMA900 are all fantastic picks if you're okay with open headphones. If I had to recommend another closed headphone it'd be the Fostex THX00.

Looks like a LCD2 and a Fostex THX00

Not finding the Fostex THX00 for sale in Sweden unfortunately.

Surrounding the Blue recommendation; I have a hard time swallowing the fact that they are up there with the others we've mentioned. But perhaps I'm just being silly.

Rimshot

Seems most reviews state that the HD600 are better than the HD650, it also seems Sennheiser raised the price of HD600 to be more expensive than HD650 in Sweden.

Edit: I ended up finding the ATH-MSR7 so cheap (115 USD cheaper than HD650 & HD600) that I decided to give them a try.

Hope they will be comfortable enough :)

HiResDes

Seems most reviews state that the HD600 are better than the HD650, it also seems Sennheiser raised the price of HD600 to be more expensive than HD650 in Sweden.

Edit: I ended up finding the ATH-MSR7 so cheap (115 USD cheaper than HD650 & HD600) that I decided to give them a try.

Hope they will be comfortable enough :)
I think you're way too focused on trying to compare headphones in terms of one being strictly superior to another when in fact many of them are within the same class and simply have different strengths based on preference. Where are you getting this from anyway?

Rimshot

I think you're way too focused on trying to compare headphones in terms of one being strictly superior to another when in fact many of them are within the same class and simply have different strengths based on preference. Where are you getting this from anyway?

I might very well be doing so, since I'm not that familiar in the field.

If you google/youtube 600 vs 650 you pretty much seem to get a consensus on the 600 being the better option, as far as I have seen. So I am just basing my thoughts on that information, and that they've actually upped the price of 600.

This review also sold me on the ATH https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itwDQeZ_8Pg :)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's the better option if you value neutrality. Some people prefer a sound that is warmer (mid bass/mid emphasis, slightly rolled highs) to neutral.

Personally love my hd600.

HiResDes

It's the better option if you value neutrality. Some people prefer a sound that is warmer (mid bass/mid emphasis, slightly rolled highs) to neutral.

Personally love my hd600.
I can agree with that, but I also think their differences are greatly embellished. They sound like the same headphone tuned slightly differently to me.

leng jai

I'd say most people on average would probably prefer the HD650 since it has more bass. It's only the enthusiast crowd who really froths over the 600s, it probably sounds a little thin for average listener.

Top Bottom