• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Chittagong

Gold Member
In August I think. Don't quote me on that though, haha.

Having a regular schedule for Schiit Show kinda goes against their (finally realised) strategy of talking about things when they are ready.

Can't really even imagine what they could introduce. Their whole lineup is top tier for each price point, they have done the niche ideas like Sys, Wyrd and Mani, said they won't do a streaming product nor a portable DAC/Amp. The only thing they have said they work on is a remote, so I guess they might be going further into speaker amp space.

How are you having them modding? Also, how much does he charge?

They're going to be modded with removable cables (2.5 mm), modding the stock cable, and he's also making me an additional 5 ft cable that terminates to 3.5mm. Whole thing is costing me about $200. More than I need to pay to get these, but I'm happy to pay a bit more for what I know will be good work.

LQX

They're going to be modded with removable cables (2.5 mm), modding the stock cable, and he's also making me an additional 5 ft cable that terminates to 3.5mm. Whole thing is costing me about $200. More than I need to pay to get these, but I'm happy to pay a bit more for what I know will be good work.

I was thinking of getting my Purple Hearts modding with removable cables once they came in but thought it would be cheaper. For that much I might as well get the 610 which will probably be under $700.

Please give some feedback once you receive them.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I was thinking of getting my Purple Hearts modding with removable cables once they came in but thought it would be cheaper. For that much I might as well get the 610 which will probably be under $700.

Last I heard, TH-610 is supposed to be $599 at launch.

The X00 mod, an additional 50% of its price, is crazy expensive.

A basic removable cable mod from Peterek, nothing fancy, should run somewhere around $100.

LQX

Last I heard, TH-610 is supposed to be $599 at launch.

The X00 mod, an additional 50% of its price, is crazy expensive.

I hope it is that cheap as I can see some sale dipping it close to $500 which I will for sure then try to grab.

A basic removable cable mod from Peterek, nothing fancy, should run somewhere around $100.

That seems more reasonable as I would be fine with just the original cable modded to being removable.

HiResDes

If it makes you feel any better I spent about hundred bucks repairing old Polk Monitor 7 speakers I paid $90 for

Price is so relative anyway, there are people who love that old Denon sound so much they'd be willing to pay double what they used to cost new.

Mistake

Gold Member
There's a sound driver for using the DAC on PC, but it's a little bit tricky to find, especially on Sony's US site. You use a standard USB cable with the "PC/Charge" port. The manual says you shouldn't need a driver, but on Windows you totally do. I've used it for everything and it works great.

Here's a link to the driver on the UK site, which is easier to find. http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-dna/driver-portable/MDR-1ADAC

Even though it says it only works on Windows 7/8, it works great for me on Windows 10.
I'll try restarting my computer first, but so far my computer makes an eject sound when I turn on the headphones. No sound is coming out

Edit: I checked the default configurations and it was that. Thanks for the link

As I said in the previous post, he's modding the stock cable and making me an additional custom cable. I realize it's still not a bargain, but it's disingenuous to say I'm paying $200 for a simple headphone mod. I'm willing to pay a premium for good work.

K.Jack

I didn't use the word simple. I know the skill it takes to modify wood.

Don't take me having an opinion, on the investment percentage, as a questioning of your judgement.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Is the Th-610 a 1 to 1 of the x-00 though?

Also they use a dumb proprietary connector that headphone manufacturers love so much.

K.Jack

Is the Th-610 a 1 to 1 of the x-00 though?

Also they use a dumb proprietary connector that headphone manufacturers love so much.

As far as I know, it's a refinement of the TH-600, not a mass produced X00.

People were saying they use he same connectors as Sennheiser's HD6xx line.

aznpxdd

Some new toys~

KSE1500 + ZX2 (yes I know that's not a LOD, if you own a ZX2, you'd know why)

6d22a90c_SAM_1121.jpeg

77dc75ca_SAM_1119.jpeg

New cables for my SE846, old ones were wearing out...

29a45fef_486358126064130991.jpeg

Xander51

I'll try restarting my computer first, but so far my computer makes an eject sound when I turn on the headphones. No sound is coming out

Edit: I checked the default configurations and it was that. Thanks for the link

Cool, glad it worked!

Is it normal to hear background noise when you use shitty headphone and increase amp volume to certain level?
Got Lyr 2 today and I decided to test it with HD598, I could hear some static noise if I increased the volume to around 50% in low gain setting.

Edit: I think can fry an egg on this amp LOL

Xander51

Is it normal to hear background noise when you use shitty headphone and increase amp volume to certain level?
Got Lyr 2 today and I decided to test it with HD598, I could hear some static noise if I increased the volume to around 50% in low gain setting.

Edit: I think can fry an egg on this amp LOL

Were you playing music or just listening to nothing? It may be line noise from something else in your chain. What are you feeding into the amp?

You might also be overdriving the headphones. The Lyr 2 puts out a serious amount of power even in low gain and the HD598's require hardly anything to drive them. Don't kill yourself with high volumes!

Were you playing music or just listening to nothing? It may be line noise from something else in your chain. What are you feeding into the amp?

You might also be overdriving the headphones. The Lyr 2 puts out a serious amount of power even in low gain and the HD598's require hardly anything to drive them. Don't kill yourself with high volumes!

I heard the noise when I was listening to nothing. I was trying to test the amp to make sure it worked (since I bought used) while waiting for HD800 and bifrost to arrive.

I heard the noise when I was listening to nothing. I was trying to test the amp to make sure it worked (since I bought used) while waiting for HD800 and bifrost to arrive.
Get some socket savers for the Lyr. It helps with the heat on my Valhalla 2 so it should help you a lot.

leng jai

Make sure all the power plugs are inserted properly. Even a slightly loose connection can cause buzzing.

Thanks guys, will try again tomorrow when I receive my DAC so I can setup with proper cable, outlet etc.

Get some socket savers for the Lyr. It helps with the heat on my Valhalla 2 so it should help you a lot.

Which brands do you recommend or it doesn't matter? And actually how do you remove the tubes? I feel like if I apply too much pressure when pulling out I will just break those.

my6765490

A new day, a new pair of headphones..

LL

Focal Elear ($999) and Utopia ($3999) open-back dynamics.

Headphone prices are getting absolutely crazy, $4k for a freaking dynamic? That's more than SR-009s...

K.Jack

Hey Focal's highest end speakers sell for $220k a pair, you guys should feel lucky.

I wouldn't mind hearing what these beryllium drivers sound like though.

leng jai

Headphone pricing is just going to get more ridiculous as time goes on, I just roll my eyes and forget about it at this point. Just be thankful you can still get something like the HD800 for around $1k.

Headphone pricing is just going to get more ridiculous as time goes on, I just roll my eyes and forget about it at this point. Just be thankful you can still get something like the HD800 for around $1k.

I will admit I am a hardcore speaker guy. When the HD800 came out I was a bit of a jerk to the fans of them because of their original cost.

Then I built a system around headphones actually I built a system around those particular headphones and they are amazing.

The Staxx stuff is great and I balk a little at the 009's but I am scratching my head at the Utopia.

I will track them down and listen to them sometime but I won't purchase them.

Tommy DJ

At least Focal doesn't fuck around, unlike most of these scrubs in the headphone industry. Good drivers, good tonality.

The fact it's a dynamic is sort of irrelevant as I'd almost certainly trust Focal drivers over the majority of inconsistent crap we seem to be consistently getting from the scrubs in the headphone market.

The price of the $4,000 model is real shit but the $1,000 might be good.

At least Focal doesn't fuck around, unlike most of these scrubs in the headphone industry. Good drivers, good tonality.

The fact it's a dynamic is sort of irrelevant as I'd almost certainly trust Focal drivers over the majority of inconsistent crap we seem to be consistently getting from the scrubs in the headphone market.

The price of the $4,000 model is real shit but the $1,000 might be good.

I am curious about the 1k model. To give Focal credit, I'm sure the 4k is better spent on these than some other 4k+ headphones. Still don't like the direction the market is headed.

I'll be stocking up on hd650s the day they are discontinued.

Xander51

Yeah, I wasn't taking a shot at Focal as much as I was being impressed that they'd try that price point. I'm sure they wouldn't go for it if they didn't think it would sell.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Apparently my last image didn't work. I want to get a flat cable to replace the main one on my AKG set. I am not sure what the ends are to search for, though. Both male ends, one standard headphone one smaller.

NqYNk7b.jpg

Xander51

Apparently my last image didn't work. I want to get a flat cable to replace the main one on my AKG set. I am not sure what the ends are to search for, though. Both male ends, one standard headphone one smaller.

NqYNk7b.jpg

The small end is a 3-pole 2.5mm and the larger one is a 4-pole 3.5mm.

Xander51

Thanks! Any idea where I can get a cable like that, that is flat, or non-tangle?

That might be a little tricky. Someone on head-fi had this same challenge two years ago.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/710176/looking-for-a-2-5mm-to-3-5mm-flat-audio-cable

I'm sorry I don't have better news. There's a few replacement cables of this type out there, but a quick search didn't turn up anything flat. Maybe someone else has run across one and will put my brief search to shame.

Shadow2810, glad to hear that having the DAC fixed your static issue. Hope you enjoy your new gear.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Holy fuck my head is hurting after reading too much Head-Fi. People describe how 'burn in' changes dramatically their DAC sound. Someone said that adding $500 isolation feet to their DAC massively improved the bass and low mids. They desbribed the added soundstage from thousand dollar cables.

That was it, I was so deep into the rabbit hole I landed on a page selling $90K DACs with $15K clock modules bringing tens of femtoseconds of improvements:

MSB Technology said:
How long is a femtosecond? It is one millionth of one billionth of a second. Visible light travels around the earth 7.5 times in one second. Light travels the thickness of a sheet of paper is about 33 femtoseconds! That is really a short amount of time! So the jitter of the Femto 33 clock is the time light travels the thickness of a sheet of paper. The Galaxy clock (77 femtoseconds) is the time of 2 sheets of paper and the Femto 140 clock is the time of 3 sheets of paper. What is mind-boggling is that you can clearly hear the difference these clocks make, and can clearly hear the improvement between them.

I guess there are enough idiots with a ton of money and self validation to make stuff like this possible. It makes my blood boil.

The most expensive DAC I will ever get is Yggdrasil, and even so I will be fully aware I probably would fail a Bifrost blind test. Love the Schiit philosophy:

The Elephant in the Room

The 'high end audio' industry must hate them.

co1onel

I'm looking for an upgrade to the brainwavz delta. Something neutral sounding, but I'd like it to have more detail and airiness. I'm mainly looking at the Ostry KC06a, Fidue A65, and Hifiman RE-400. Any recommendations between these, or something else entirely?

Tommy DJ

Audiophile products for the old white guy aren't really any different from a really expensive set of golf clubs or a road bike.

Like we saw from one of our posters who'd keep posting his kilobuck headphone collection, most of it is basically for bragging rights. The dude was literally so deaf that he'd described the Audeze EL-8 Closed as amazing but obviously sound wasn't of a real importance to him.

Really, Schiit doesn't really bother anyone because their products serve a completely different market from "high end" audio products.

Top Bottom