• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

HiResDes

There's a pair of Blue Lola on Amazon.ca used for $88 from there Warehouse. They're definitely worth checking out.

Would also recommend the Sony MDR-1A though they're not quite as warm

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Having owned both the Momentum 2 and Pm3, I would go with the Momentum 2, particularly with your music selection. Though I did sell them both eventually to stick with my Momentum 1.

I'm curious, does the 2 offer a big improvement on the originals?

I'm curious, does the 2 offer a big improvement on the originals?

They are much more comfortable if you don't have small ears (my ears are just small enough to fit inside the originals comfortably). The soundstage is improved but I felt the signature was more V-shaped than the originals which I didn't like. The case the 2 comes with is nowhere near as nice as the originals case.

Overall, it is an improvement unless you don't like somewhat V-shaped headphones.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
V-shaped compared to the 1st could be good because goddamn the first one has the most rolled highs I've heard in a while.

I did liked it, but couldn't live with the severely rolled treble.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Haven't touched my Momentum in... hmm I think I gave them to my mom.

Might be interesting to revisit them after all this time.

Xander51

Need to replace my Momentum over ears v1 which I bought due to recommendations from here a thread back, I think. Loved them, they were perfect for me.

Looking at the current prices, I'm going to spend 500+ CAD for a newer set, so I'm looking for recommendations. My choices are as follows:

Sony MDR-100AAP h.ear Headphone - Charcoal Black - ~$200

M50x is meh, can't speak for the Sony. Someone in this thread owns it, and really likes it.

I'm the guy from earlier in the thread that loves the 100AAP. It's not really a bassy headphone though, like you're looking for Ryne. It gets deep but it has a sound on the neutral side of warm compared to some others. It's a fantastic value though and a perfect portable headphone.

As HiResDes and others have said, the best warm Sony headphone is the MDR-1A. It's the bassiest headphone I own, and I wear it when I need thumping bass but also still want to hear the mids and highs. Again, probably not what you're looking for, but a great headphone in your price range if you want something lighter and more comfy than the PM3.

Jarmel

Banned
Also i just bought the dragonfly red. To be totally honest, there's not much separating it from the mojo. From what I've listened to so far, it's a bit more smoothed out and smeared in the lower mids, and maybe a little bit more laid back in the treble whereas the mojo has a bit more sparkle, which makes it a tad warmer, but for the form factor and the price, it's kind of a brilliant device. Got it for those times where i don't want to lug a brick around.

Who knows, I'll see how the announced mojo module that basically turns the mojo into a dap is, but i can very well see tge df red relegating the mojo to desktop duties or even being sold off. I still think the mojo is a bit more resolving but we'll see if the differences makes it worth keeping.

Have you noticed anything about the soundstage? Trying to decide if I should just get the Dragonfly Red for my Roxannes instead of hunting down an used Mojo.

Also what about the battery life?

Antiwhippy

Have you noticed anything about the soundstage? Trying to decide if I should just get the Dragonfly Red for my Roxannes instead of hunting down an used Mojo.

Also what about the battery life?

Depends on what you want. I still prefer the mojo because it has tons of power and slightly more clarity but for out and about usage yeah, not keen on carrying a brick anymore.

DFR is bus powered, and it reduces the battery life of my Nexus 6p by about 1/3 to 1/4 I'd say. It's alright for my use but could be something to look out for.

Ryne

Thanks for the opinions, appreciated.

I put the NAD Viso HP50 and the Sony MDR-1A on my immediate buy list, and put off the PM-3 and Momentum 2s onto my christmas list. Found a few reviews and consumer reports directly comparing the HP50 and momentum, with them recommending the HP50, also found the Sony MDR-1A at thesource for 399, so bought those too.

Should have the first two here in a week or so, nice to finally have new sets of headphones.

Xander51

Thanks for the opinions, appreciated.

I put the NAD Viso HP50 and the Sony MDR-1A on my immediate buy list, and put off the PM-3 and Momentum 2s onto my christmas list. Found a few reviews and consumer reports directly comparing the HP50 and momentum, with them recommending the HP50, also found the Sony MDR-1A at thesource for 399, so bought those too.

Should have the first two here in a week or so, nice to finally have new sets of headphones.

Hope you dig the 1A. It's the most comfy headphone I've ever worn. Heard nothing but good things about the HP50 as long as you don't mind the styling. Many say it's like listening to speakers in a room.

leng jai

I've had the MDR-1A for about 4 years and used them for about 1 hour. Pretty sure I hated their sound out of the box and basically never touched them again. I should really get around to selling them one day.

Xander51

I've had the MDR-1A for about 4 years and used them for about 1 hour. Pretty sure I hated their sound out of the box and basically never touched them again. I should really get around to selling them one day.

The 1A came out late 2014/early 2015, so it's highly possible you actually have the 1R, which is widely regarded as inferior in sound quality.

Xander51

That's probably the case.

Even if it's a 1R, you'll probably get at least $100 bucks for them if not more if you ever get around to selling them. They've held their value strangely well for a replaced model that not many were ecstatic about. I guess they're super comfy so they've got that.

Tommy DJ

Difference between 1A and 1R:

BWE1oq0.jpg

That hump really does the 1R no favors.

Antiwhippy

So I recently demo'd the HD800, it sounded nice, but it wasn't as... mindblowing? As I was led to believe? It's ok, but I did not hear the speaker like soundstage nor the mass amounts of micro-detail that I've never heard before. Didn't really sound trebley as I thought it would be.

Granted I was listening it through a chain that goes phone > mojo > woo audio wa2, and from what I know woo audio tends to warm over everything, but I was kinda underwhelmed I guess? Didn't feel like a massive step up from the HD600.

leng jai

So I recently demo'd the HD800, it sounded nice, but it wasn't as... mindblowing? As I was led to believe? It's ok, but I did not hear the speaker like soundstage nor the mass amounts of micro-detail that I've never heard before. Didn't really sound trebley as I thought it would be.

Granted I was listening it through a chain that goes phone > mojo > woo audio wa2, and from what I know woo audio tends to warm over everything, but I was kinda underwhelmed I guess? Didn't feel like a massive step up from the HD600.

I use the HD800s with the WA2 and think they're exceptional headphones. That said I don't think demo particularly well. It takes time to appreciate them as they don't have sonic characteristics that lead to an immediate "wow" factor such as huge bass or ultra smooth midrange. The other problem is you need some pretty specific songs/genres with ultra high quality recordings to really show what they're capable of. Honestly I'm a firm believer that 80% of modern music sounds average or worse on them compared to a lot of mid tier headphones.

I'm pretty sure the only thing that wowed me during my demo session was the comfort.

Tommy DJ

Woo Audio WA2 has an output impedance of ~70 ohms, which changes based on tubes used. That could potentially push up the mid-bass enough for the treble to be far less of an issue. For reference, a Bottlehead Crack with its 120 ohm output impedance results in around a 2-3dB lift at around 100hz.

The HD800 is obviously cleaner sounding than the HD600, especially around the bass region, but a lot of the time I wonder why I even bothered with the HD800. Music is mostly midrange and not many headphones do it better than the HD600.

leng jai

Woo Audio WA2 has an output impedance of ~70 ohms, which changes based on tubes used. That could potentially push up the mid-bass enough for the treble to be far less of an issue. For reference, a Bottlehead Crack with its 120 ohm output impedance results in around a 2-3dB lift at around 100hz.

Always enjoy your technical insight mate even if I don't know what half of it means most of the time.

Antiwhippy

Hmm, maybe, i did demo the hd800s alongside but i preferred the original which surprised me from what i know of my taste. I guess i was looking to the soundstage to wow me but i probably didn't have the songs for that to be fair. Mostly demoing using j-pop electronica like tofubeats and charisma.com.

my6765490

Just got EX1000s yesterday and they have been monopolizing my head-time, phenomenal bass slam, big stage (for an IEM), huge dynamics, and great resolution, some treble peakiness but mitigated by EQ. Needless to say, these are awesome.

Xander51

Anyone familiar with Lavri Cables?

They have a lightning to micro that works on the Mojo apparently? I guess they ripped the internals from a CCK and put it into their cables.

Looking at their ebay store the cables seem nice...and PROFOUNDLY expensive.

I won't judge you if you feel they have a product that would do something for you. If it were me I'd just use a CCK and a cheap cable.

My headphone DAC/amp also only cost me a hundred bucks, so I'm not really playing in your league. But general wisdom and also science suggest that 9.9 times out of 10, premium cables are snake oil.

Antiwhippy

I don't usually pay attention to boutique cable companies unless they do something other than boasting about how using some exotic metal can drastically improve the sound. I think I've seen cables on ebay that do the same thing, but lavri cables are probably better built? I wouldn't really bother paying too much though because micro USB connectors are notoriously easy to break.

Also schiit modi multibit confirmed. Still dunno if R2R means much but cool I guess.

Jarmel

Banned
Looking at their ebay store the cables seem nice...and PROFOUNDLY expensive.

I won't judge you if you feel they have a product that would do something for you. If it were me I'd just use a CCK and a cheap cable.

My headphone DAC/amp also only cost me a hundred bucks, so I'm not really playing in your league. But general wisdom and also science suggest that 9.9 times out of 10, premium cables are snake oil.

I don't particularly care about the sound quality/build components but rather that the CCK is built in. Having everything in one cable is nice for convenience/portability.

I'd love it if anyone could recommend me (or rather my friend, by proxy) some good headphones in the price range $90-$200? Preferably closed since they'll see a lot of outdoors use.

Hylian7

So I got a pair of Koss Portapros 3 years ago. I really like them, mainly for portability and sound quality, and the price.

Two years ago, the wire leading up to one of the ears ripped and there was exposed wire. I sent it off for warranty (had to pay shipping both directions) and got them back. The other day the wire ruptured again, once again on the wire leading up to one of the ears. I'm not rough with my headphones, I use them in the office and at home. I don't run or work out in them. I googled a bit and am reading that apparently the wire on them now is downgraded. It does actually feel pretty cheap.

So that said, my options are either warranty again, buy another set of Portapros, or get something else. I need something around the budget range of the Portapros and around there portability. Any recommendations?

Got my VE Monks today. I think the hype surrounding these is due to people assuming they will suck since they are $5 earbuds. I will say that I'm kind of surprised, but these in no way outperform even entry level full sized headphones.

The praise on hype-fi for these is complete bogus. No surprise there.

For $5 earbuds though, they are pretty nice.

i posted it in off topic. i wanted to share it with others before it gets to slickdeals and those assholes get it all

Whelp, ordered the bluetooth speaker. Don't even really need it, but I'll find use for it! Too good of a deal to not take a shot. Hopefully it won't get cancelled. Thank you for sharing!

Jarmel

Banned
Goddamn that seems kinda... fast? I thought you only had a demo recently.

My impressions are still on the way to noble.

I had sent my impressions in awhile ago. Yea they finished mine within a week. They've definitely improved their turnaround for this.

I still have the universal Angies and Roxannes. I'll compare them tonight but I can already tell the custom Roxannes are vastly better than the universals I have. I'm surprised as I expected it to be the same but then again supposedly my Roxies are the new and improved design so who knows.

MegalonJJ

Banned

The HD800 is obviously cleaner sounding than the HD600, especially around the bass region, but a lot of the time I wonder why I even bothered with the HD800. Music is mostly midrange and not many headphones do it better than the HD600.

Speaking of tube amps, what do you think of the below tube amp:

http://feliksaudio.pl/en/products.php

Feliks Audio "Elise"? Have you heard/read anything about it? (Headfi/sbaf etc)

Antiwhippy

I had sent my impressions in awhile ago. Yea they finished mine within a week. They've definitely improved their turnaround for this.

I still have the universal Angies and Roxannes. I'll compare them tonight but I can already tell the custom Roxannes are vastly better than the universals I have. I'm surprised as I expected it to be the same but then again supposedly my Roxies are the new and improved design so who knows.

Wow, 1 week? I'd probably have to wait 2 months for mine. :<

Top Bottom