• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

phoenixyz

Its such a shame that so many rock/metal records are mixed well into the red - clipping. When you start to be able to separate guitar distortion and the clipping much more, it becomes annoying.

That's one of the main reasons why I rarely listen to rock/metal anymore although I used to love the genre. The last two albums by Avenged Sevenfold (Hail to the King and Nightmare, both produced by Mike Elizondo) are the only mainstream rock releases in the last years I can think of which are mastered with some dynamic range.

84edd5-1469636640.jpg

So my HD800S arrived. Still have to wait on the AMP/DAC combo.
Used them shortly on my old Kenwood stereo that i use for my vinyl listening pleasure.
Compared to my DT 990Pro they offer quite a bigger soundstage, but also quite lower bass output, but that was to be expected given that the 990pro are half closed cans.

So far so good. Cant wait till the rest arrives. Luckily im on vacation the next two weeks and I'm staying home with the wive and kid - so lots of time to enjoy them, i hope :D

Let me know what you think. I love mine.

Aizo

Banned
You've helped me out in the past, Des. Any thoughts on my post near the bottom of the last page? I was hoping to pick something up today, so maybe I'll just chill in a shop for an hour or so and try a bunch of things out first hand.
I can still listen to absurdly lo fi punk and kind of liked the way punk sounds on cassette even now
Same. It's all subjective, anyway.
Speaking of which, I cannot ever imagine dropping ¥200,000 or whatever they cost—$1600 on Amazon—on headphones. Seems like the quality compared to price would peak many hundreds of dollars earlier.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You've helped me out in the past, Des. Any thoughts on my post near the bottom of the last page? I was hoping to pick something up today, so maybe I'll just chill in a shop for an hour or so and try a bunch of things out first hand.

Speaking of which, I cannot ever imagine dropping ¥200,000 or whatever they cost—$1600 on Amazon—on headphones. Seems like the quality compared to price would peak many hundreds of dollars earlier.

For you I'd say look at stuff like the koss portapro if isolation isn't an issue.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I listen to a lot of metal, I hear you. It can be frustrating at times.
It is, it really is :(
From the death metal records i listened to in the last couple of days, only Necrophagist's Epitaph stood out as a non clipping record. While its programed drums sound somewhat generic, the records has a rawness and volume to it <3

That's one of the main reasons why I rarely listen to rock/metal anymore although I used to love the genre. The last two albums by Avenged Sevenfold (Hail to the King and Nightmare, both produced by Mike Elizondo) are the only mainstream rock releases in the last years I can think of which are mastered with some dynamic range.
Steven Wilson, Opeth, The Aristocrats and Panzerbalett are Rockacts who, in the last years, managed to put out good to superb mixed records imo.
Going to check out the last two AV records.

Let me know what you think. I love mine.
I still have to spend more time with them. At the start, coming from rather bass rich cans, i was somewhat let down by the bass response, but yesterday after another session they "clicked" with me, especially going back to the old cans. Verdict is still out.

Just don't use bright or ultra detailed headphones and then it's tolerable.
Dude, i just bought HD800's :D

Jarmel

Banned
Might get another hearing test. I had one done a month ago but I want 100% verification that it's not my hearing. Left side seems to have much more soundstage. I can't determine if it's how most songs are mastered or performed, the headphones, or my ears. There's times when the right side has some decent staging but too often it feels like the sound is like a mirrored L.

HiResDes

You're in Japan right? I'd just get some JVC HA-S500 and call it a day.

leng jai

Might get another hearing test. I had one done a month ago but I want 100% verification that it's not my hearing. Left side seems to have much more soundstage. I can't determine if it's how most songs are mastered or performed, the headphones, or my ears. There's times when the right side has some decent staging but too often it feels like the sound is like a mirrored L.

You sure one side of your ears isn't just partially blocked? That happens to me every so often.

HiResDes

Right. JVC makes quality stuff? I've never listened to anything very nice from them.

How many pairs of headphones do you own, anyway?
Right now, three if you're referring to headphones specifically, I've downsized and gotten into the loudspeaker game pretty heavy.

Oh and of course JVC has been making quality for a while along with mediocre entries like every company.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<

I had a similar problem when listening to my turntable, turns out the cable of the left chanel right at the needle was not attached correctly. Could it be that there is a faulty component somewhere in your chain? Somewhere a active "pan" to a particular side hard- or software side.

Aizo

Banned
Right now, three if you're referring to headphones specifically, I've downsized and gotten into the loudspeaker game pretty heavy.

Oh and of course JVC has been making quality for a while along with mediocre entries like every company.
What are the three that you own? I'd love to have some big speakers like I did back home, but my neighbors here would have me evicted.

Jarmel

Banned
You sure one side of your ears isn't just partially blocked? That happens to me every so often.

I might pick up one of those earwax washing kits. Might as well.

I had a similar problem when listening to my turntable, turns out the cable of the left chanel right at the needle was not attached correctly. Could it be that there is a faulty component somewhere in your chain? Somewhere a active "pan" to a particular side hard- or software side.

Kinda doubtful but I'll check with some of my other IEMs.

andylsun

I might pick up one of those earwax washing kits. Might as well.

Kinda doubtful but I'll check with some of my other IEMs.

While we are on the subject of earwax, my doctor recommended rinsing out both ears with 50% hydrogen peroxide and warm water every time I shower, 20 seconds per ear. It keeps the build up manageable and I've had less ear infections since starting it.

Karish

I got the $20 Mpow thing that can turn any headphones into Bluetooth ones. In my SHP9500s right now and it's pretty awesome.

bobohoro

I'm getting the itch again.

Since my living situation changed a bit and I dont really need my headphones to be closed anymore, I'm looking at getting some open cans. The only real experience I have with those are my old Sennheiser HD 595, which were kinda good for films, but they felt rather anemic when listening to music.

My current setup includes a rockboxed Clip+ that is hooked up to a Fiio E9 (and a E7 for portable use).

My first look around online retailers gave me 3 headphones I remember being recommended quite a bit back in the day:
A Sennheiser HD 600 for roughly € 275,--
HD 650 for € 325,--
And a Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro for € 135,--

So, since my last request in here brought me my awesome ADL H118 I hope for another good hint or tipp to get me on the right track.

Price range is somewhere around € 350,-- (might have to rethink that if I also want/need a DAC or amp), looking for a solid allrounder to use at home, 100% for music. Any recommendation is very much appreciated, since my possibilites to rent and test headphones is pretty limited here.

I'm getting the itch again.

Since my living situation changed a bit and I dont really need my headphones to be closed anymore, I'm looking at getting some open cans. The only real experience I have with those are my old Sennheiser HD 595, which were kinda good for films, but they felt rather anemic when listening to music.

My current setup includes a rockboxed Clip+ that is hooked up to a Fiio E9 (and a E7 for portable use).

My first look around online retailers gave me 3 headphones I remember being recommended quite a bit back in the day:
A Sennheiser HD 600 for roughly € 275,--
HD 650 for € 325,--
And a Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro for € 135,--

So, since my last request in here brought me my awesome ADL H118 I hope for another good hint or tipp to get me on the right track.

Price range is somewhere around € 350,-- (might have to rethink that if I also want/need a DAC or amp), looking for a solid allrounder to use at home, 100% for music. Any recommendation is very much appreciated, since my possibilites to rent and test headphones is pretty limited here.

The HD600 is the natural step up from the HD595, so if you felt the 595 was anemic, I would go for the HD650 instead.

Both the 600/650 will be a big step up over the DT990, though very different. While the 6x0 series is pretty well balanced, the DT990 has a bass boost and BIG treble mountain, think along the lines of a Mount Doom of treble.

It's very possible that the average enthusiast won't actually find the 650 to be more compelling than the DT990

The poster was talking about both so it's still good to inform them that the capabilities of the HD6x0 outperforms those of the DT990. Otherwise what's the point of recommending anything outside of an HD598, SHP9500, etc.

Though, you are right that a lot of people probably wouldn't perceive the benefit. However, weren't we all at one point like that? I used to just use an HD595 out of an iPod and my audio port on my built in sound card on my PC. I thought it was phenomenal and was completely content for years at that time.

HiResDes

I'm talking about sound signature more than sheer capability, while the 650 boasts much fuller mids and better treble without the extreme peakiness of the DT990 the average person might find the Beyerdynamic to be the more exciting offering and the the 650s warm yet more balanced signature to be boring. With this being said I think the 650 is a more direct upgrade from the H118 than the DT990, just playing devil's advocate a bit.

I also really liked the original HE-400 more than most when I auditioned them and would like to throw them into the fray - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZG32I4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm talking about sound signature more than sheer capability, while the 650 boasts much fuller mids and better treble without the extreme peakiness of the DT990 the average person might find the Beyerdynamic to be the more exciting offering and the the 650s warm yet more balanced signature to be boring. With this being said I think the 650 is a more direct upgrade from the H118 than the DT990, just playing devil's advocate a bit.

I also really liked the original HE-400 more than most when I auditioned them and would like to throw them into the fray - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZG32I4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Used prices are pretty good on the he400 too. Just EQ the treble down a little and it's pretty good.

Tommy DJ

Out of curiosity, what $500 USD IEMs exist in today's market? I've been doing a fair bit of research but all I've found is that there are tons in the few hundred and below price point (Shure, Etymotic, Audio Technica, Mee Audio, etc) and just as many in the insane multi-thousand price point.

It sort of feels like a dead price bracket, sort of the same way it currently is with headphones. I can't think of a single $500 but less than $1,000 headphone that doesn't suck in some capacity. Quite seriously, the only product I can think of is the Sony EX1000.

leng jai

Out of curiosity, what $500 USD IEMs exist in today's market? I've been doing a fair bit of research but all I've found is that there are tons in the few hundred and below price point (Shure, Etymotic, Audio Technica, Mee Audio, etc) and just as many in the insane multi-thousand price point.

It sort of feels like a dead price bracket, sort of the same way it currently is with headphones. I can't think of a single $500 but less than $1,000 headphone that doesn't suck in some capacity. Quite seriously, the only product I can think of is the Sony EX1000.

Yeah, the last time I checked IEMs the prices had shot through the roof. To be fair the same thing happened to full size headphones in the last 5 years. I remember paying $400 for my SE535 and they were top of the line back then.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Aurisonic Harmony, campfire nova, noble savanna, are the ones that come to mind.

Harmony is still my daily driver, the nova sounds insanely smooth if a bit rolled (kinda like the hd650 to me) and the savanna is a pretty great take on a mid-neutral sound.

HiResDes

Shure 1840 net comparisons to the HD600 and company and yet remain fairly unpopular, haven't auditioned them myself, but a potential good $500 entry.

Stax 2170 used to be in the range, not sure what the hell happened.

Same with the HE-500 which no longer seems to be available anywhere.

Koss esp950. Usually go on sale for around 550-650 pretty often and are supposedly fantastic. I'll find out myself in a few days when my pair arrives.

Aizo

Banned
Thanks, Des. The JVCs will do for just riding my bike to work and walking around. I appreciate he cheap recommendation.

FaintDeftone

Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a good pair of Bluetooth headphones. Right now I'm using some Bose earbuds and while they're comfortable to wear, I feel like the sound isn't the best and I need something wireless since I move around a lot at work and around the house. I'd rather have some on-ear cans this time around. I would like something with great sound but also not butt ugly hanging out on my head. So style and audio quality are important.

I was looking into the Beats Solo 2 wireless headphones since they're on-sale at Best Buy for $180 but I keep hearing horror stories of Beats breaking on people and the audio quality not being worth the asking price. Anybody recommend something similar that isn't poop in the audio department? I primarily listen to indie rock, hip hop and electronica music so something that fits those styles of music would be nice. I would like to spend under $200 and have a solid battery life.

I'm in no way an audiophile so that's why I'm looking to you guys.

Thanks!

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah, the last time I checked IEMs the prices had shot through the roof. To be fair the same thing happened to full size headphones in the last 5 years. I remember paying $400 for my SE535 and they were top of the line back then.

What happened were the JH-13s and the HD800s.

bobohoro

Thanks HiResDes and SolarMystic.
Will look around a bit more and hold out for a good deal, but the HD650 look mighty tempting right now.

Hylian7

So I got a pair of Koss Portapros 3 years ago. I really like them, mainly for portability and sound quality, and the price.

Two years ago, the wire leading up to one of the ears ripped and there was exposed wire. I sent it off for warranty (had to pay shipping both directions) and got them back. The other day the wire ruptured again, once again on the wire leading up to one of the ears. I'm not rough with my headphones, I use them in the office and at home. I don't run or work out in them. I googled a bit and am reading that apparently the wire on them now is downgraded. It does actually feel pretty cheap.

So that said, my options are either warranty again, buy another set of Portapros, or get something else. I need something around the budget range of the Portapros and around there portability. Any recommendations?
I hate doing this, but can anyone give me a recommendation here?

After 4 years my Denon D2000 headphones have decided to completely fall apart today, I absolutely loved them to death and used them with everything (TV, PC, phone, consoles, handhelds etc.) but since it seems they are discontinued II can't get another pair.

So, could anyone recommend a pair for up to £170 that are as good as my broken ones? The two things I'm interested in are clarity (can't stand anything with artificial "big bass"), and comfort. Particularly I want something with large, soft earpads like my D2000s, they melt onto your head whereas almost all of the ones I've tried out are either fairly stiff or don't fully go around my ears.

HiResDes

Clarity is the utmost importance and you don't want big bass, but you want something that sounds like the D2000... Sounds like an oxymoron.

NotSelf

After 4 years my Denon D2000 headphones have decided to completely fall apart today, I absolutely loved them to death and used them with everything (TV, PC, phone, consoles, handhelds etc.) but since it seems they are discontinued II can't get another pair.

So, could anyone recommend a pair for up to £170 that are as good as my broken ones? The two things I'm interested in are clarity (can't stand anything with artificial "big bass"), and comfort. Particularly I want something with large, soft earpads like my D2000s, they melt onto your head whereas almost all of the ones I've tried out are either fairly stiff or don't fully go around my ears.

Philips SHP9500 there good I would say just as good in comfort as the D2000 probably even surpass them but your not going to get the same sound quality there ok not great D2000 sound.

Clarity is the utmost importance and you don't want big bass, but you want something that sounds like the D2000... Sounds like an oxymoron.
Note that I know virtually nothing about headphones, I just hate ones where the bass overpowers everything else, like how the laptop I have was supposedly tuned for "powerful sound", but in reality it makes every song sound like a series of explosions with a constant rumbling in the background. If the D2000s have big bass then I'll take your word for it, they sounded way clearer than everything else I tried back when I bought them. I guess that makes it easier since I'm not being as fussy as I thought.

Top Bottom