• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

fep

Anyone have experience with InEarz (or other) re-shelling services?

I'm considering between getting my UE10s re-shelled or purchasing some Bose QC20s for the NC. I'd like to audition the sound quality on the QC20s as well so maybe that's a better buy before going down the re-shell route.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
A dragonfly Red isn't really that intrusive as a chain. You're basically doing the same thing as an iphone 7 headphone adapter lmao.

If I use V-Sonic GR07 Classics with my iPhone and I am picking up an iPhone 7 today (which has the 3.5mm adapter), do I need to worry about or can my GR07's improve noticeably if I went with one of those tiny DAC's and Amps like the Fiio K1?

I know the DAC in the Apple dongle is slightly worse than the 6/6S one which has served me absolutely fine so I'm assuming the dongle won't be noticeable, but wanted to be sure after 2 months of the phone being out. Thanks!
I found the Apple dongle to be significantly worse than the 6s 3.5mm output (I wanted to use the dongle on my 6s in order to eliminate popping noises when sound starts and stops but it didn't do that either). This was with the Koss KSC75.

Xander51

I wrote a short impressions piece on my blog about spending some time with the MDR-1000X, which I felt was a little bass light compared to a lot of other models.

Now someone on head-fi has linked to it and criticized me for my headphone preferences, because they feel the 1000X can do no wrong.

I'm not even a member of head-fi and yet I'm still participating in head-fi. This is pretty great/stupid.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I wrote a short impressions piece on my blog about spending some time with the MDR-1000X, which I felt was a little bass light compared to a lot of other models.

Now someone on head-fi has linked to it and criticized me for my headphone preferences, because they feel the 1000X can do no wrong.

I'm not even a member of head-fi and yet I'm still participating in head-fi. This is pretty great/stupid.

Links to your blog, and the head-fi post?

Xander51

I didn't link them originally because I wasn't trying to promote myself, I was just trying to comment on the occasionally insane back-and-forth of head-fi spilling over into my tiny barely-read blog.

It's weird to me that in the pursuit of headphone purchase validation, people will seek out any and all opinions to hold up or shoot down, even my rambling nonsense based on loitering in a Best Buy. But that's just the nature of fandom now I guess.

It's one thing to look for reviews and opinions when you're trying to make a decision, and I get that part of the fun of the internet is that we can endlessly dissect everything. Heck, my blog is a place for me to put all those thoughts to get them out of my head. But sometimes I think it can go in weird directions. I like to read film criticism after I've seen a movie to explore new ideas I might not have thought of, and sometimes I do that with games as well.

But once I have decided on a tech product, a thing that performs a specific function and doesn't have the same type of artistic complexity I usually don't go looking for new opinions on it, at least not for that same reason.

SuperSah

Banned
So Amazon UK has a Black Friday deal going already.

Beoplay H3 ANC in-ears for £109 down from the price of £199. I checked they weren't bluffing and every other seller has them for their full RRP. It sounds like a great bargain - I wanted new IEMs for streetwear with ANC to boot. My question is, what does headphoneGAF think?

Beoplay H3 ANC in-ears for £109 down from the price of £199. I checked they weren't bluffing and every other seller has them for their full RRP. It sounds like a great bargain - I wanted new IEMs for streetwear with ANC to boot. My question is, what does headphoneGAF think?

On this particular point OP, why not try and if you don't like send back. What you got to lose. In general I am thinking that it's a nice autumnal day outside and I am going to go for a walk later today.

X-Frame

If I have a Schiit Modi 2 -- should I be messing with the Mac's Audio MIDI Setup app?

I an change the format if I want (e.g. 44,100 Hz), or to go from a 16-bit to 24-bit integer (up to 32).

90% of my iTunes library is 320 kbps which is 44,100 and 16-bit, but I do have some Apple Lossless which is 44,100 and 24-bit. Should I set the MIDI app based on the maximum quality music I have?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

Do you like neutral sound signatures, with a lean towards the treble?

If I have a Schiit Modi 2 -- should I be messing with the Mac's Audio MIDI Setup app?

I an change the format if I want (e.g. 44,100 Hz), or to go from a 16-bit to 24-bit integer (up to 32).

90% of my iTunes library is 320 kbps which is 44,100 and 16-bit, but I do have some Apple Lossless which is 44,100 and 24-bit. Should I set the MIDI app based on the maximum quality music I have?

AFAIK setting it to the max of what you listen to won't affect the lesser recordings.

HiResDes

Thinking about building my own subwoofer with the Ice DSP plate amplifier and a Dayton 15 inch as my driver, trying to find a pre-made sealed box with a detachable back to mount the amp to no avail. If anyone has any leads let me know.

ty_hot

Amazon is having a lot of great heaphone deals these days. They had the sony MDR1 for 100 a few days ago, if I am not mistaken it cost almost the double of that normally. There was one B&O as well for half price. I didn't know that one so I'm not sure about price, I just find their products very attractive (aesthetically) so I was like - wow b&o going for cheaaap.

Anyway, I bought a Plantronics Backbeat Pro earlier this year and won't buy any new headphone until it dies (I never invested more than 5 bucks in a headphone prior to 150 in there LOL), but Amazon Europe is really trying to sell some.

Mechazawa

Yeah, I ended up just barely holding out on the DT990s right when Amazon pulled a lightning deal on Saturday. Glad I managed to show some restraint. That also moved up my budget for a DAC/AMP combo, and I'm now holding out to see if a deal on the Monoprice one goes out during Black Friday before I pull the trigger.

In the interim for the next week or so, I'm running them through the Cloud II's dinky usb dongle and I gotta say, even on just that, I think I'm completely sold on the concept of open headphones. It's hard to quantify terms like "soundstage" that sound total nonsense without experiencing it yourself, but man, everything sounds so much...roomier.

Esque7

I know next to nothing about headphones, but I'd like a decent pair for casual use (spotify, gaming mostly). With black friday among us, are there any good deals for under $150? I'd like over the ear, wired, and mic optional if that helps but they need to be comfy! My current pair are starting to die on me and aren't really comfortable, especcially when I have glasses on. Thanks for any help :)

Menaged

I think I missed Amazon's Sennheiser HD 598 Cs sale.
According to a search, it was on sale for $99.

Not sure if I should be bummed :p

Ultima_5

I was curious about this too. Sure it'll show up again on Black Friday.

Are they much different than the open back ones ?

NotSelf

I know next to nothing about headphones, but I'd like a decent pair for casual use (spotify, gaming mostly). With black friday among us, are there any good deals for under $150? I'd like over the ear, wired, and mic optional if that helps but they need to be comfy! My current pair are starting to die on me and aren't really comfortable, especcially when I have glasses on. Thanks for any help :)

Philips SHP9500S there currently $50 on new egg I use a V-MODA BoomPro

kevm3

Hi GAF, have posted on this thread a few times and still need to shit or get off the pot. So as crimbo is nearly here, do I get a chord mojo.

So, luckily I managed to get hold of some noble savants as my iem. They are lovely. Now I don't have the desire to burn CD's or get into flac so i run with extreme quality from Spotify and play through my Samsung s7 as it jolly convenient and I listen to album after album and to be fair am royaly treated with my savants to a lovely listening experience.

Now getting a mojo would be sensible if I wanted to run some serious over ears, but will I notice a the difference to my Spotify, S7 and current iem combo.

Looking forward to the hopefully incoming advice.

PS listening to the 2011 remastered PF the wall, and yes. Funking yes. I urge you all to listen to "the trial" awesome!

Get one used. Beautiful thing about it is that it can be used for any other headphones/IEMs you get.

LQX

I have been watching it like a hawk. They announced it will be $99 but I don't think it has dropped in price yet. Where did you see that it already dropped in price? Also if it is like past 598 Black Fridays sales it usually doesn't not sell out fast.

Menaged

I have been watching it like a hawk. They announced it will be $99 but I don't think it has dropped in price yet. Where did you see that it already dropped in price? Also if it is like past 598 Black Fridays sales it usually doesn't not sell out fast.

I just assumed TBH.
I saw that it should be on the sale that's up to the 22nd, and since I didn't see it today I figured I missed it. Maybe not?

LQX

Massdrop has another collaboration. Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEMs.

After many months of exploration and development, we’re thrilled to introduce the Massdrop x Noble X IEMs. Drawing inspiration from the Noble Savanna, Savant, and Django models, these feature the precise craftsmanship and incredible clarity the company is known for, plus a sound signature all its own: fun, punchy, musical, and engaging, with a solid bass presence. Here at a price previously unheard of for a Noble product, these IEMs are made in the USA

Specs
  • Massdrop x Noble Audio
  • Faceplates: Anodized aluminum in midnight blue
  • Drivers: 2 proprietary balanced armature drivers per side
  • Impedance: 30 ohms
  • Frequency response: 15 Hz – 20 kHz
  • Cable: 50 in (127 cm), detachable, with 2-pin configuration
  • Plug: ⅛ in (3.5 mm), gold-plated
  • Weight: 0.69 oz (19.5 g)
  • Made in the USA
Optional Noble Lightning Cable (+$40)

The Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEMs will be available for $249.99 with free domestic shipping starting November 24th at 6 a.m. PT

Estimated ship date is Mar 15, 2017.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-noble-x-universal-iem

MD-31369_20161121200747_89c59390c8934752.jpg
MD-31369_20161121203145_df7a97a4be152f3d.jpg

Not that big into IEMs and have never heard any of the high end ones. Do they stack up to headphones like the HD650?

LQX

I just assumed TBH.
I saw that it should be on the sale that's up to the 22nd, and since I didn't see it today I figured I missed it. Maybe not?

Pretty sure it is up to the 25th. I don't think we will miss them. Will bump thread if I see them go live.

Antiwhippy

Massdrop has another collaboration. Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEMs.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-noble-x-universal-iem

Not that big into IEMs and have never heard any of the high end ones. Do they stack up to headphones like the HD650?

It's a different thing. I'll say though that I've used my noble savanna C and various IEMs way more than my HD600, but that's because I'm more into portable audio.

The savanna C is great though. Reminds me of my HD600 in a lot of ways. The Noble X sounds like it'll have more bass if that's your thing. Which is my thing, but the X doesn't seem to have it at the level I want it when it comes to basshead.sounds

Menaged

Pretty sure it is up to the 25th. I don't think we will miss them. Will bump thread if I see them go live.
Cheers.
I don't know much about them, but I guess that if I'm in the market for a pair of headphones in the $100-$150 range, I should get them for $99...?

leng jai

The good thing about Massdrop is that impulse buys are out of the equation since almost everything has a huge lead time to when it actually ships.

LQX

It's a different thing. I'll say though that I've used my noble savanna C and various IEMs way more than my HD600, but that's because I'm more into portable audio.

The savanna C is great though. Reminds me of my HD600 in a lot of ways. The Noble X sounds like it'll have more bass if that's your thing. Which is my thing, but the X doesn't seem to have it at the level I want it when it comes to basshead.sounds
Do you think these are a good value?Any lower end end IEMs that might be comparable?

Cheers.
I don't know much about them, but I guess that if I'm in the market for a pair of headphones in the $100-$150 range, I should get them for $99...?

The open-back version of these is one of the best headphones you can buy for under $200. These are the closed-back version with more bass and 'm not seeing anything better in your price range. They're solid buy for $100.

Antiwhippy

I dunno, never heard them. I really liked my savanna c but that's probably not the price range you're looking at.

As for cheaper models I've heard nothing but good about the tfz series 5. I dunno though, I've been out of the budget iem game for awhile now.

NotSelf

How is the voice quality with that mic on that headphone setup?

I'm tired of using two wires and crap with my 598 and modmic, so I just impulse bought the shp9500 for $50 and will be picking up a boom pro.

It's ok for quick gaming sessions I use them both on my PC and PS4.

Brohan

LQX

Audeze is having a "b stock" sale. LCD-2 $499, Deckard - class A amp, USB DAC $394, more...

November 24th to November 30th

Audeze is offering a rare discount off all factory refurb B-Stock headphones for six days. This doesn’t include the King or Audeze accessories. Now’s your chance to buy the Audeze headphone or Deckard amplifier that may have been previously just out of reach for a significant discount.

All factory refurbs come with a full warranty.

Note: Purchases during this sale are as-is with no way of knowing in advance what headband/earpad color or materials you will receive (black or brown leather or Microsuede) for LCD Collection headphones.

https://www.audeze.com/promotional-products/audeze-black-friday-b-stock-sale

LCD-2 is tempting but if the pads and headband is a mess and you opt to buy new ones the cost will bring them close to the $700 they routinely drop down to.

I just missed qc 35 for some 310€ here in Sweden. Webhallen.com had sale and I should have reacted right away. Am tired of my old Logitech 930 and wanted something new 😢

Top Bottom