• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Totakeke

So I got the Schiit Bifrost Multibit and Valhalla 2 a week ago, and yesterday I accidentally got water splashed on the Valhalla 2 and one of the tubes broke. I'm not sure if other parts of the amp got damaged. In retrospect, putting the tube amp on an open part of my desktop table and level with where I usually put my water bottle was pretty dumb. But to be fair, I never used a tube amp before, and the height of the amp prevented it to be put under the monitor stand where I placed the DAC at. I'm going to send the amp back to Schiit for inspection just to be safe.

I got out of the upgrading my headphone rig game a couple of years ago and have been pretty happy with my Lavry DA11 and the DT990s. I recently decided to upgrade again because I wanted to use my headphones in my bedroom while also have another rig in my living room. Schiit seemed to be the rage nowadays so I purchased a set while remaining skeptical as always of anything that could feel like flavor of the month. To my surprise, the set is the real deal and the clarity and resolution was definitely an obvious step up from my previous rig. The PRaT (do people still use this term) was seriously impressive for music that benefitted from it. I was so impressed that I realized that there's no way I would be happy using my old rig in one of my setups so that plan is shot.

With the Valhalla 2 out of commission, I was pretty bummed out that I won't be able to use the new setup for a few weeks. So just to verify if the Biforst Multibit was affected by the damage, I plugged in my decade old Headfive amp and again to my surprise, the sound I liked is pretty much there. Maybe at least 90% of the improvements I noticed compared to my old rig is there? I'm not sure, I'll have to do more comparison when I get the Valhalla 2 back. But at least I'm satisfied with the sound and this does confirm that the Biforst Multibit is really awesome.

If there's any downside while using the setup with Valhalla 2, I think the sound is a bit too sharp and fatiguing using it with the AKG K7xx, which is my main headphones nowadays. My ears do feel like it needs a rest after using it for an hour or two. That's why I'm looking around for a HD650 and hope maybe that will balance the sound a bit for more relaxed listening. Definitely going to try to grab a HD6XX tomorrow.

HiResDes

Thinking about selling all of my old vintage audio I've acquired over the past month to fund a purchase of a Super MMG setup, but then I start thinking about the amp that I'll need to drive everything and I grow quite a bit weary.

Xander51

Do you guys know if a standard 60hz monitor (ASUS, specifically) would be enough to power/amplify Sennheiser 598s? I've been googling and searching, but no avail for this specific set up. My ATH-M50s work fine but it seems that the ohm requirement is much lower (I believe its 32?).

This is mainly for a console setup so I'm not sure if I would have to use an external power source to power an amp and I don't really want to spend an additional $50+ unless if it's absolutely necessary/worth it. I already have a firewire audio interface for my PC (doubt this would work on console, ha).

I'm mainly looking for budget, comfortable headphones that I can use for general listening/gaming and music mixing. The AKG 701s were highly praised but I don't want to mod the headpiece due to it making dents on your head/uncomfortable. Beyerdyamnics DT 880s also seem nice but require an amp. Budget would ideally be around $100 (usual price of 598s on sale) but I'm willing to spend $150, $200 if it's a great deal.

I've been mostly digging through the head-fi forums but if anyone would care to give me suggestions/help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

If the M50's sound okay to you on your setup, the 598's would be just fine. They're only 50ohm headphones and pretty easy to drive. Shouldn't be a problem!

LQX

Ugh, cant even get through to buy one. And my damn card will most likely lock being that I tried so many times to order.

LQX

Why? They don't hold any extra value on the used market.

My first pair of TH-X00 sort of did...but I'm over it now as I have tried to order since there were like 90 purchased and now it is at close to 900 and I still cant order. And from reading the comments many have pending charges and no email so my orders might have went through multiple times as I kept get errors but I kept ordering.

What a clusterfuck. Will check my cards and sort it out later.

paskowitz

My first pair of TH-X00 sort of did...but I'm over it now as I have tried to order since there were like 90 purchased and now it is at close to 900 and I still cant order. And from reading the commends many have pending charges and no email so my orders might have went through multiple times as I kept get errors but I kept ordering.

What a clusterfuck. Will check my cards and sort it out later.

I believe I got #100-200. If I don't find them to be a good upgrade from my current 598 SEs, I'd be happy to sell them (6XX) to you.

Tabasco

Would this be a worthy upgrade coming from an HD 555? (really old model)

Also, can you plug in a v-moda mic to this?

LQX

I just can't get excited about cans that seem to require an amp

Ugh, that's like saying you cant get excited for HD gaming because it requires an HD TV to get the best out of them. I'll stick with my CRT TV. Ha, that was me before I got my first LCD. What a game changer.

I couldn't get in at ALL. WTF. This was my first time attempting to use mass drop. Is it always that bad?

Not really, but these for $200 is sort of big deal. Massdrop should have anticipated the rush though being that they had close to 20,000 request for these.

edit-
oh shit they sold out.

Ugh, that's like saying you cant get excited for HD gaming because it requires an HD TV to get the best out of them. I'll stick with my CRT TV. Ha, that was me before I got my first LCD. What a game changer.

Not really, but these for $200 is sort of big deal. Massdrop should have anticipated the rush though being that they had close to 20,000 request for these.

edit-
oh shit they sold out.

Yeah, apparently they've been sold out for the last hour and a half. People couldn't get in at all, then for a small window they could and they're gone. I've been trying since 8:40.

LQX

Holy crap people are angry in that HD6XX discussion. And I get their anger as I was up when it went live but did not get an order in until more than an hour later. Moreover, all the times I attempted to order seemingly did go though as the holds appeared on my cards but their systems did not log the orders. On the upside though is that after they cancel the duplicate orders(they said they will be doing this) they might have some more up for sale and being that their system shit the bed so bad I would not be surprised if hundreds of duplicated orders went through because of the server issues.

And though I like Massdrop, they have proven their incompetence on more than few occasions but especially on this drop where they advertised these a week in advance, at the lowest price ever, and had nearly 20K requests yet are claiming they did not anticipate the demand. They knew these would be extremely popular. The first TH-X00 drop, from a less popular brand was twice as much and sold pretty damn fast.

paskowitz

Word to the wise, Lastpass auto form fill is essential for these types of flash deals. Also, in regards to Massdrop, I searched for the deal and then clicked on it from there as refreshing the page didn't work.

5000, but many seemingly bought more than one due to "server issues" so they most likely sold far less due to all the duplicate orders.

Yep. Apparently I had half a dozen go through. Those funds are still being held on my credit card. My bank cancelled my card thinking something was wrong.

Thanks Massdrop.

Xander51

I picked up Skullcandy's Crusher Wireless headphones last night somewhat on a whim, because I saw them in my local store and wasn't expecting them to be in stock.

They're really great. Comfy, a little warm-sounding, and the haptic bass feature is really fun/dumb. No AptX support, but whatever. They also come with a non-proprietary cable with a button and mic, and a bag with an exceptionally soft interior. I don't know why so many other bluetooth headphones (QC35, MDR-1000X, etc.) that cost more come with cables that don't have buttons or microphones.

I know that the HD 6XX is the $200 headphone I'm supposed to be excited about/talking about/angry about right now, but the Crusher Wireless has really impressed me with its quality. I've been looking for a bassy headphone to counter all the bright-leaning stuff I have, and these fit the bill quite well.

paskowitz

Check your inboxes. People are getting messages from Massdrop to rejoin the HD6XX sale.

3e0f1700_d686f53478.png

Juanfp

Hi, I am looking to buy a wireless headphone, mostly for music and gaming, for gaming just for sound not need the mic, and I am really lost, don't know what to choose. Could someone recommend me one?

My budget is up to ~$200.

NotSelf

I was one of the lucky one's to get in on the drop like so many I was there early and experienced the same problem after 20mins I gave up. I returned within the last 20mins of the drop to give it another try finally success I made two attempts and got duplicates the second order was removed hopefully one of you guys got the email to join the drop.

Xander51

Hi, I am looking to buy a wireless headphone, mostly for music and gaming, for gaming just for sound not need the mic, and I am really lost, don't know what to choose. Could someone recommend me one?

My budget is up to ~$200.

Do you like Bass? Then the Skullcandy Crusher Wireless and Sony XB950BT are both great choices at that price.

For something cheaper, I think the Skullcandy Grind Wireless is an exceptional value. I don't have enough other experience to recommend additional wireless products under 200 bucks.

When you say gaming, do you mean console or PC? Keep in mind, bluetooth headsets don't work with game consoles, but they will work on PC/Mac. If you need something that'll work on a console, your options are much more limited unless you don't mind a wire.

Tabasco

Any idea when the drop will come back?

I tried like 2 times followed by the oops page so I'm hoping I get another chance at this.

Juanfp

Do you like Bass? Then the Skullcandy Crusher Wireless and Sony XB950BT are both great choices at that price.

For something cheaper, I think the Skullcandy Grind Wireless is an exceptional value. I don't have enough other experience to recommend additional wireless products under 200 bucks.

When you say gaming, do you mean console or PC? Keep in mind, bluetooth headsets don't work with game consoles, but they will work on PC/Mac. If you need something that'll work on a console, your options are much more limited unless you don't mind a wire.

Thanks I will look both. It's for PC, I have an old Audio Technica pair but the cables began to bother me.

How are the Senheiser RS175? Are at $170 at Amazon, I think they look cool but don't know if there are good.
Also the Sennheiser Urbanite XL Wireles.

I got the QC35s a few days ago. THEY ARE AMAZING.

I was just pawing at them in an airport shop, the salesman comes up with the demo pair and says "here put these on" and I put them on and all sound vanishes. I say "this is how you close the sale isn't it?" and he just nods and says "yep".

I bought them on the spot. Dammit Bose.

Karish

I got the QC35s a few days ago. THEY ARE AMAZING.

I was just pawing at them in an airport shop, the salesman comes up with the demo pair and says "here put these on" and I put them on and all sound vanishes. I say "this is how you close the sale isn't it?" and he just nods and says "yep".

I bought them on the spot. Dammit Bose.
My only issue is how you can't disable noise cancelling

Xander51

Thanks I will look both. It's for PC, I have an old Audio Technica pair but the cables began to bother me.

How are the Senheiser RS175? Are at $170 at Amazon, I think they look cool but don't know if there are good.
Also the Sennheiser Urbanite XL Wireles.

The Urbanites are pretty good, but I had a personal issue with the XL where the pads were so huge that they didn't seal quite right on my head, so I returned them. If you can get them to fit well, they're a fun-sounding, solidly-built headphone. One of my great regrets is that they didn't work quite right on my head.

kevm3

PSB m4u1's and 2's are headphones that are definitely worth the money in the mid tier. The difference between them is 2 have built in noise canceling and amplification.

Top Bottom