• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Interesting. What DAC's have you tried and which ones have you liked and kept?

The ones I own right now is the Modi 2 Uber, Modi multibit and Bifrost. I recently sold my Bifrost Multibit, though not because I disliked it.

My next DAC purchase will likely be either a Gumby or Musette.

Hi.

I have Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless headphones and want to pair them with my PC (I have them sync'd to my S6 phone atm and as I understand it they can save profiles of up to 8 devices at a time)...but I'm having problems. Bluetooth on my PC (Windows 10 btw) is turned on, "Your PC is searching for and can be discovered by Bluetooth devices" is displayed and the little "....." bar beneath it is animated...

Yet even when my headphones are in Pairing mode they never find one another, but it can work if I use the USB cable from my PS4 to connect manually, but I'd like to Bluetooth pair them if possible.

Anyone else had the issue?

apologies if this is the wrong thread

Edit: This might be a dumb question but is there a difference between ripping from my CDs to a FLAC format vs...anything else? I'd imagine not, but figure I'd ask at least.My music library is a mix of digital and CDs so if I went over to FLAC/lossless I'd have to rebuy some anyway, I think.

Vhalyar

A sad day, my ath-ad700 have finally died after a few months of becoming progressively more problematic :(

Seems like these are not really being made anymore, what would be an equivalent today?

matmanx1

The ones I own right now is the Modi 2 Uber, Modi multibit and Bifrost. I recently sold my Bifrost Multibit, though not because I disliked it.

My next DAC purchase will likely be either a Gumby or Musette.

You have piqued my curiosity. Why 3 DAC's with only the mid-range (in terms of price) as a multibit?

A sad day, my ath-ad700 have finally died after a few months of becoming progressively more problematic :(

Seems like these are not really being made anymore, what would be an equivalent today?

Seems like there's an ath-ad700x now. At least on Amazon there is.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hi.

I have Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless headphones and want to pair them with my PC (I have them sync'd to my S6 phone atm and as I understand it they can save profiles of up to 8 devices at a time)...but I'm having problems. Bluetooth on my PC (Windows 10 btw) is turned on, "Your PC is searching for and can be discovered by Bluetooth devices" is displayed and the little "....." bar beneath it is animated...

Yet even when my headphones are in Pairing mode they never find one another, but it can work if I use the USB cable from my PS4 to connect manually, but I'd like to Bluetooth pair them if possible.

Anyone else had the issue?

apologies if this is the wrong thread

Edit: This might be a dumb question but is there a difference between ripping from my CDs to a FLAC format vs...anything else? I'd imagine not, but figure I'd ask at least.My music library is a mix of digital and CDs so if I went over to FLAC/lossless I'd have to rebuy some anyway, I think.

I mean FLAC just means that it's uncompressed. The compression technology nowadays usually means that the difference isn't that discernible.

I mean FLAC just means that it's uncompressed. The compression technology nowadays usually means that the difference isn't that discernible.

FLAC files are compressed audio - compression doesn't necessitate a loss in audio data which is why there's a distinction between lossless and lossy audio codecs.

There are a number of lossless codecs out there, but FLAC is the most popular and well supported. The only other lossless format that would be better supported are WAV files, but they're typically uncompressed and lack the ability to add metadata. You should rip to FLAC to have a perfect copy of the original audio data, and if you want or need it in any other format (like mp3, if whatever software/device you're using doesn't support FLAC) you can use the FLAC files for conversion. Ultimately it doesn't really matter much though, so long as you rip to a lossless format. If for some reason you need it in ALAC (Apple's Lossless codec) instead of FLAC, you can convert from one lossless format to another without any degradation.

You have piqued my curiosity. Why 3 DAC's with only the mid-range (in terms of price) as a multibit?

Seems like there's an ath-ad700x now. At least on Amazon there is.

My Modi 2 Uber is at work while my Mimby is being used until the new Multibit boards for Bifrost are out.

Though I would just sell my Bifrost if I end up buying a Gumby or Musette. Mimby gets sold either way.

Xander51

I have a pair of the infamous Philips SHP9500's coming in today. I'm excited to see if the fit is actually as good as the legend on my stupidly big head. Not expecting HD600 levels of neutral sound or anything, unlike some reviews out there indicated.

That's still one of my favorite Z Reviews videos. It's everything great, bad, and fun about him all in one video.

HiResDes

He really likes headphones and speakers with a lot of treble it seems to me. Holy shit that's the absolute worst review in terms of trying to describe the sound.

Xander51

He really likes headphones and speakers with a lot of treble it seems to me. Holy shit that's the absolute worst review in terms of trying to describe the sound.

Yeah you've pegged him. The most frustrating thing about Zeos is that he's a total treble-head and doesn't really seem to know it at all. He talks about low end all the time, and about things being piercing when they really aren't...then he goes and recommends cans that are even brighter than stuff he's said he hates.

I still dig his stuff for entertainment value. I also like when his cat shows up to bug him during videos. And how stupidly insane he is about cables and pads.

matmanx1

Yeah you've pegged him. The most frustrating thing about Zeos is that he's a total treble-head and doesn't really seem to know it at all. He talks about low end all the time, and about things being piercing when they really aren't...then he goes and recommends cans that are even brighter than stuff he's said he hates.

I still dig his stuff for entertainment value. I also like when his cat shows up to bug him during videos. And how stupidly insane he is about cables and pads.

He's definitely entertaining got to give him that

Yeah that's why I watch him. He usually makes me laugh at least once or twice during a video review (actual laughter from humor, mind you) and seems to be a pretty decent soul. Also, he isn't snobby about audiophile stuff which I appreciate it even if I don't always agree with what he says.

tHDSIHO.jpg

my massdrop exclusives monk+ are here a week early

the sound quality isn't blowing me away on a technical level or anything but for like $5 these are easily the best sound:price ratio i've ever gotten

My Modi 2 Uber is at work while my Mimby is being used until the new Multibit boards for Bifrost are out.

Though I would just sell my Bifrost if I end up buying a Gumby or Musette. Mimby gets sold either way.

If you're looking of unload the Modi Multibit soonish, I might be interested.

Antiwhippy

The fulla 2 is seriously cute.

Now if only it came with a 3.5mm headphone port instead of only a 6.3 one so I can use it now instead of waiting to get home...

Xander51

The fulla 2 is seriously cute.

Now if only it came with a 3.5mm headphone port instead of only a 6.3 one so I can use it now instead of waiting to get home...

Oh, the Fulla 2 jack is 6.3mm? That makes me more interested in getting one than I already was. My current small DAC/amp is 3.5mm (SoundblasterX G5) and it'd be nice to use 6.3 gear without adapters/different cables. Not sure how I missed that in all the discussion and early reviews. I'm an idiot.

Antiwhippy

Yeah in the end it's a net benefit but I just want to use mine now and I don't have a 3.5 to 6.3 adapter on hand. :p

matmanx1

There's absolutely no real sound information in his videos though, you do realize that though right?

Right, but I take sound information with a grain of salt anyway. What sounds one way to one person may sound completely different to someone else. And that's before we throw preference or bias or differences in vocabulary in to the mix.

Basically, on each of the purchases I have made over the last couple of months I have read hours worth of written reviews and then watched another couple hours of video reviews to get as many possible perspectives before I pulled the trigger and in each case I have been very pleased.

Sony MA900 - Extremely comfortable, great soundstage, good-all around hp's that also happen to work great for gaming.
Meze 99 Classics - More low end emphasis, smaller soundstage (closed back design), excellent build quality and aesthetics that I prefer over the MA900's. Also, awesome at rock n roll which happens to be my wheelhouse.
Fostex HP-A4BL - Good DAC chip for a sub $400 device. Clean, neutral amp that has enough power for most hp's, made in Japan, excellent build quality, button on the front that switches between outputs for convenience.

It's a start but one that I am really enjoying the fruits of on a daily basis.

I bought myself a set of Sennheiser 598s on sale last month and, while very happy with them coming from a regular gaming headset, I've been trying to think of a better way to get sound from my setup rather than from a wireless controller (can sometimes notice minor interference) on my current gen consoles.

My LG TV (50PV450) has an optical out port on the back. Would taking that signal to a DAC (one with a volume control) and then to my headphones be a decent alternative? If so any recommendations?

Antiwhippy

Impressions of the fulla 2 pairing with the HD600.

Straight up hot fire. Goddamn.

Definitely more than enough power. I can only go around 10PM on the volume pot, any higher is too loud. Initial impressions, and these are very loose, early formed impressions, is that the combo has a really spacious sound, while retaining the HD600's beautiful midrange, but what really stood out is the bass. Still not basshead by any means, and the HD600 will never go monster sub bass rumbly unless you create some really fucked up EQ, but man the bass on this combo is the tightest I've heard from the HD600. Taut and tactile is how I would describe it.

Also pairs perfectly with my PS4 pro. Super happy with that. Now I want to replay the last guardian without listening to it through shitty monitor speakers. :p

Holy shit is the micro USB port tight though. I thought I was going to break a few cables. Makes me never want to remove the cable.

Impressions of the fulla 2 pairing with the HD600.

Straight up hot fire. Goddamn.

Definitely more than enough power. I can only go around 10PM on the volume pot, any higher is too loud. Initial impressions, and these are very loose, early formed impressions, is that the combo has a really spacious sound, while retaining the HD600's beautiful midrange, but what really stood out is the bass. Still not basshead by any means, and the HD600 will never go monster sub bass rumbly unless you create some really fucked up EQ, but man the bass on this combo is the tightest I've heard from the HD600. Taut and tactile is how I would describe it.

Also pairs perfectly with my PS4 pro. Super happy with that. Now I want to replay the last guardian without listening to it through shitty monitor speakers. :p

Holy shit is the micro USB port tight though. I thought I was going to break a few cables. Makes me never want to remove the cable.

Supposedly loosening a screw can alleviate the tight USB problem.

Do you have an Xbox one you could test out on? Would be nice to use instead of the crappy headphone ports on the controller.

Antiwhippy

I could try the screw thing. The screws are aligned pretty weirdly.

No xbox one sadly.

It's a really great product though. I wanted a solution that can power my full-size can with as little cable fussiness as needed, and I didn't want to worry about battery stuff too. Just need one cable to power and transfer audio on either my PC or PS4 Pro and the signal is incredibly clean and noise free, while being powerful enough. I dunno if it'll run a HD800 to its full potential but I'm more than happy with the sound from the HD600.

Honestly, a good budget setup in the future would be to catch the HD6XX drop and grab one of these.

FLAC files are compressed audio - compression doesn't necessitate a loss in audio data which is why there's a distinction between lossless and lossy audio codecs.

There are a number of lossless codecs out there, but FLAC is the most popular and well supported. The only other lossless format that would be better supported are WAV files, but they're typically uncompressed and lack the ability to add metadata. You should rip to FLAC to have a perfect copy of the original audio data, and if you want or need it in any other format (like mp3, if whatever software/device you're using doesn't support FLAC) you can use the FLAC files for conversion. Ultimately it doesn't really matter much though, so long as you rip to a lossless format. If for some reason you need it in ALAC (Apple's Lossless codec) instead of FLAC, you can convert from one lossless format to another without any degradation.

Cheers. I'm in the process of using EAC(?) to get FLAC off my CDs...

I also feel like an idiot because...I don't know if anyone else has Sennheiser Momentum (2.0) headphones but no jack cable/audio cable etc seems to fit in there. I can't recall one being in the box at all (i have the carry case thing with everyone in it and there's only a charging cable in there)...but I also have a 3.5mm cable (Sennheiser website says the m2 uses 3.5mm) but it doesn't fit...at all. I'm not sure if its actually something else or I'm just missing a trick :/

Edit: Wtf. Just seen someone's YouTube vid on the headphones and they say its a proprietary 2.5mm jack. >_>

Edit: Based Sennheiser. Emailed them, not expecting a reply for a day or two...they sent a reply already and offered to send me a full accessory pack (cable, felt-esque bag etc) asap.

matmanx1

I bought myself a set of Sennheiser 598s on sale last month and, while very happy with them coming from a regular gaming headset, I've been trying to think of a better way to get sound from my setup rather than from a wireless controller (can sometimes notice minor interference) on my current gen consoles.

My LG TV (50PV450) has an optical out port on the back. Would taking that signal to a DAC (one with a volume control) and then to my headphones be a decent alternative? If so any recommendations?

I believe it would improve the sound but if you are going to go to the trouble of getting a DAC you may as well get an all in one device (DAC/amp) to take the best advantage of your 598's. Do what Antiwhippy did and get a Schiit Fulla. It's the best, cheapest DAC/amp combo that you are likely to find and will improve the sound of your 598's although you will need an optical to USB converter for connecting it to your TV.

Just my opinion.

I believe it would improve the sound but if you are going to go to the trouble of getting a DAC you may as well get an all in one device (DAC/amp) to take the best advantage of your 598's. Do what Antiwhippy did and get a Schiit Fulla. It's the best, cheapest DAC/amp combo that you are likely to find and will improve the sound of your 598's although you will need an optical to USB converter for connecting it to your TV.

Just my opinion.

Any recommendations for optical to USB conversion? Wouldn't I also just be converting the audio from analogue to digital to send it into a DAC which would do that conversion anyways? Would it not be better to just get an amp/dac that has a toslink input?

I could try the screw thing. The screws are aligned pretty weirdly.

No xbox one sadly.

It's a really great product though. I wanted a solution that can power my full-size can with as little cable fussiness as needed, and I didn't want to worry about battery stuff too. Just need one cable to power and transfer audio on either my PC or PS4 Pro and the signal is incredibly clean and noise free, while being powerful enough. I dunno if it'll run a HD800 to its full potential but I'm more than happy with the sound from the HD600.

Honestly, a good budget setup in the future would be to catch the HD6XX drop and grab one of these.

What a world of audio we live in, that such a setup would only cost $300 and you could be done.

I want one just to take with me on trips and to use when I'm console gaming. Ps4 Pro support is a plus, but Xbox one and switch support would be icing.

phoenixyz

Are there any decent HD650 cable replacements which are shorter than the originals (which are 3m...)? I don't need cable voodoo. Bonus points if it looks nice and is easy-to-get in europe.

matmanx1

Any recommendations for optical to USB conversion? Wouldn't I also just be converting the audio from analogue to digital to send it into a DAC which would do that conversion anyways? Would it not be better to just get an amp/dac that has a toslink input?

Looking again I think you might be right and that would be the simplest and easiest way to do it. And there are a lot of options for very good DAC/amp combos with toslink input.

Edit - My reading and comprehension skills are weak today. Apologies. I linked a unit that did not have optical input. Looks like optical input makes the device a little bit more expensive. Let's try this again!

This one says it has optical in. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A2QLPJM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Looking again I think you might be right and that would be the simplest and easiest way to do it. And there are a lot of options for very good DAC/amp combos with toslink input.

Edit - My reading and comprehension skills are weak today. Apologies. I linked a unit that did not have optical input. Looks like optical input makes the device a little bit more expensive. Let's try this again!

This one says it has optical in. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A2QLPJM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

No problem, actually saw that one after looking at the one you linked with the coaxial input. Not too bad a price on Amazon.ca either; I'll search up some reviews/impressions from folk on the machine just to be sure.

Thanks for the help!

Hi all - first time posting - Sorry if this is posted a million times, but I am seeking the possibly of sub <£50 headphones for the UK market. I'm not looking to spend a lot, but I had a pair of Urbanears that lasted me 6 years, and obviously weren't the best sound quality but fit my "no logo" style. I guess I'd like to move up to something more than just looks!

I mostly listen to electro and jazz, so be interesting to know if anything relatively low price range can heighten these music experiences ;)

Features needed:
+ <£50
+ Portable / folds up
+ Preferably closed
- No massive logos / flashy design (just not my style at all)

I've seen these:
Ausdom M04S
Sold out on UK amazon though :(

TMA-2
I always liked these for their looks again too haha. But sound is supposed to be ace.
Rather out of my price range, but anyone got experience of these? Are they wank?

HiResDes

Gemüsestäbchen;227739372 said:
Hi all - first time posting - Sorry if this is posted a million times, but I am seeking the possibly of sub <£50 headphones for the UK market. I'm not looking to spend a lot, but I had a pair of Urbanears that lasted me 6 years, and obviously weren't the best sound quality but fit my "no logo" style. I guess I'd like to move up to something more than just looks!

I mostly listen to electro and jazz, so be interesting to know if anything relatively low price range can heighten these music experiences ;)

Features needed:
+ <£50
+ Portable / folds up
+ Preferably closed

I've seen these:
Ausdom M04S

TMA-2
I always liked these for their looks again too haha. But sound is supposed to be ace.
Rather out of my price range, but anyone got experience of these? Are they wank?
JVC HA-S500 or Creative Aurvana Live

Let me get this straight, you're asking for a sub 50 recommendation and inquiring about a headphone that costs three times as much?

Jabronium

My Modi 2U and Vali 2 arrived today. Everyone got their bingo cards ready?

I'm rediscovering my favorite tracks. For real. Subtleties in vocal tracks are coming out, snarls in guitars that weren't there before are present, even underlying guitar tracks I missed are clear now. I think I got through song 2 before my wallet fled in terror, realizing what is in store in the coming months. This was with my DT880's (250 ohm). I cannot wait for my Teaks.

matmanx1

My Modi 2U and Vali 2 arrived today. Everyone got their bingo cards ready?

I'm rediscovering my favorite tracks. For real. Subtleties in vocal tracks are coming out, snarls in guitars that weren't there before are present, even underlying guitar tracks I missed are clear now. I think I got through song 2 before my wallet fled in terror, realizing what is in store in the coming months. This was with my DT880's (250 ohm). I cannot wait for my Teaks.

Hehe, welcome to the rabbit hole. We hope you enjoy your stay here with the rest of us. Enjoy the Modi and Vali!

Is there a noticeable difference listening to a CD or 320kbps Spotify?

I have Sennheiser HD 600, but I've been listening on Google Play Music to stream my library there I uploaded to save space on my laptop.

Bloodember

Gemüsestäbchen;227739372 said:

Features needed:
+ <£50
+ Portable / folds up
+ Preferably closed

I've seen these:
Ausdom M04S

TMA-2
I have a pair of TMA-2's, they are modular and have many options to choose for your music and comfort level. The only thing is the price as you said and they don't fold up. I believe the price is good for what you get. They also have a Bluetooth headband coming out in the spring. I have it preordered from their Kickstarter for it.

Let me get this straight, you're asking for a sub 50 recommendation and inquiring about a headphone that costs three times as much?

Sorry perhaps a bit non sequitur - but hang on a sec ;) - I wrote that last post in a rush when suddenly recalled I was hoping to buy these once upon a time... I know I'm unlikely to buy them atm, I was just curious if they were any good...

Thanks for the other suggestions!

I have a pair of TMA-2's, they are modular and have many options to choose for your music and comfort level. The only thing is the price as you said and they don't fold up. I believe the price is good for what you get. They also have a Bluetooth headband coming out in the spring. I have it preordered from their Kickstarter for it.

Thanks - they appear to be solid.
As above, the reality is I'm unlikely to splurge on these at the moment, but was curious about them in general

accx

Hey, i've got a question regarding amps!

I currently own the Audio Technica MSR7, Audio Technica AD700X and a pair of Sennheiser 25's.

I currently connect these through my external soundcard, which is a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6... Would i benefit from a amp in either of my 'phones?
I believe all of them are easily driven but i have this compulsion to buy accessories for all my stuff, and am now considering getting an amp. I basically need someone to tell me that it's not worth it :p

Also, another question... Since i have these three 'phones, i tend to switch often. I only had two before and i managed to keep both connected to the sound card, and switch source via Windows.
Now that i have three that's not possible (well technically it is, but i'd have to unplug my monitors then), and therefore i'm considering a switch or mixer of some sorts... What would be the cheapest way without loosing sq?
I'm kinda considering a mixer because fuck it, i want a mixer.. But my budget right now isn't that great.

Thanks!

matmanx1

Hey, i've got a question regarding amps!

I currently own the Audio Technica MSR7, Audio Technica AD700X and a pair of Sennheiser 25's.

I currently connect these through my external soundcard, which is a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6... Would i benefit from a amp in either of my 'phones?
I believe all of them are easily driven but i have this compulsion to buy accessories for all my stuff, and am now considering getting an amp. I basically need someone to tell me that it's not worth it :p

Also, another question... Since i have these three 'phones, i tend to switch often. I only had two before and i managed to keep both connected to the sound card, and switch source via Windows.
Now that i have three that's not possible (well technically it is, but i'd have to unplug my monitors then), and therefore i'm considering a switch or mixer of some sorts... What would be the cheapest way without loosing sq?
I'm kinda considering a mixer because fuck it, i want a mixer.. But my budget right now isn't that great.

Thanks!

When I added the Fostex HP-A4BL to my system it noticeably improved the sound quality of my two sets of HP's. Both of mine are also easy to drive and had plenty of volume from my on board sound card (Asus Supreme FX) but I was also curious and was glad I made the switch.

I have the Fostex connected via USB and Windows 10 sees it as the soundcard so that it does all of the sound processing. It sits on my desk next to my monitor so it is super easy to switch out HP's depending on what I am doing, which might alleviate your problems somewhat.

Adding an external amp/DAC is not strictly necessary but should upgrade your sound quality while adding convenience and adaptability to your system.

HiResDes

Interesting. I wonder how good they will sound? I'll keep an eye out for reviews.

The big daddy still isn't quite out yet though, the M1060. It's crazy what would have seemed like such a great deal a couple years ago now is kind if questionable, I mean even at the $200 range these will have to be able to compete with the likes of the HE-400S/HE-400i/Sennheiser HD6XX to really make them a great value.

matmanx1

Yeah my immediate thought was "well, how will they compare with the HE400?" which is sort of the go to planar magnetic in that price range. I just think it's interesting that Monoprice is expanding into that space.

Top Bottom