• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Quality control is similar to Hifiman. Ergonomic design stuck in the 90's. However customer service is solid and 3 year warranty is nice. If your out of warranty, driver replacement is reasonably priced (that's what usually fails, otherwise solidly built).

Just don't buy full retail. They regularly go on sale at adorama for $700 and Audeze just had a B stock sale with full warranty for $500.

If you buy used, make sure it's either pre fazor or 2016 fazor. Don't spend more than $500 used.

Thanks for the info! Kinda hoping to see some sales when tax time rolls around. Buying used wouldn't be the worst thing ever, though. Head-fi'ers usually take damn good care of their headphones.

I think I want a fostex driver headphone, but it seems like the emu-teak is a better execution on it than the TH-XX

Unless your buying a used mahagony for $300, just go with the Teaks. Better wood quality (and variety), detachable cables, all for $500. You don't even have to wait until they drop again, just send them an email.

Thanks for the info! Kinda hoping to see some sales when tax time rolls around. Buying used wouldn't be the worst thing ever, though. Head-fi'ers usually take damn good care of their headphones.

Just don't use PayPal gift and you should be fine, even if a problem does arise. Only buy from sellers who have been a member for awhile and has good feedback.

I've had around 30 transactions take place on HF this year, and only one was a scammer. Smelled fishy from the start though so nothing came of it and the user was banned. Common sense goes a long way in buying/selling.

matmanx1

I think I want a fostex driver headphone, but it seems like the emu-teak is a better execution on it than the TH-XX

That's the nice thing about the fostex drivers though. So many companies have taken the basic design and tweaked it that there are a lot of good and interesting options.

Myself, I would love to be able to plug in a pair of TH900's to my HP-A4BL someday, just because I think the marriage would be a very good one.

Just don't use PayPal gift and you should be fine, even if a problem does arise. Only buy from sellers who have been a member for awhile and has good feedback.

I've had around 30 transactions take place on HF this year, and only one was a scammer. Smelled fishy from the start though so nothing came of it and the user was banned. Common sense goes a long way in buying/selling.

Yeah, most of my headphone purchases have been off head-fi, including my Beyer T5Ps. Haven't been burned yet, but I usually not only research who I'm buying from, but I see who else they've dealt with and send out some messages to them.

sirap

Focal Utopia!

Hd800/800S and anything by Donald North Audio.

Although you won't find DNA amps on amazon. If restricted to Amazon for the amp, then grab a Mjolnir 2. Not much else other than Schiit is on amazon that's worth the purchase.

If you are considering Orpheus then I'd just go STAX, SRM-727 and L700 would be a great high end setup. To be honest the low end system (SRS-3100) would be more than good enough and I think there should be a dealer in Malaysia.

http://www.stax.co.jp/Export/Distributor-Malaysia.html

Edit: what headphones and sources do you have at the moment and what music and environment are you listening in?

I agree that Stax is the highest you can go, but personally I chose a more fun/enjoyment focused end game setup

Headphones - Hifiman HE-1000
Amp - Schiit Ragnarok
DAC - Schiit Yggdrasil
Source - Tidal on Autonomic Mirage, SPDIF coax to DAC

http://schiit.com/faq/international

Thanks for the recommendations! The Focal Utopia is on the way. Still doing my research on Stax's lineup though. I already have the HD800s but I'll take a look at DNA amps to replace my aging Predator.

Thanks for the recommendations! The Focal Utopia is on the way. Still doing my research on Stax's lineup though. I already have the HD800s but I'll take a look at DNA amps to replace my aging Predator.

Even for the Utopia, take a look at DNA if your looking at getting some serious quality amps. The Stratus (or if your rolling in cash, the Stellaris) would both be good amps for the Utopia IMO, though do try and listen or get feedback from others who have had more extensive exposure to them. The Sonett 1 & 2 probably not so much. Too high of an output impedance for the Utopia. Plus they are discontinued and can only (rarely) be found used.

I bought the Sennheiser HD600 from amazon UK a couple days ago for $220 shipped (first pair of real headphones) and an amp/dac. I was looking for a comfortable all around pair of headphones to use for movies and games, etc. I listen to mostly Nine Inch Nails, instrumentals, and electronic. I never really crank up the music fwiw. For gaming I would use my headphones for games that rely on audio (mostly horror I'd imagine) rather than fps/rpg. Were these a good set for me or am I better off with something else?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I bought the Sennheiser HD600 from amazon UK a couple days ago for $220 shipped (first pair of real headphones) and an amp/dac. I was looking for a comfortable all around pair of headphones to use for movies and games, etc. I listen to mostly Nine Inch Nails, instrumentals, and electronic. I never really crank up the music fwiw. For gaming I would use my headphones for games that rely on audio (mostly horror I'd imagine) rather than fps/rpg. Were these a good set for me or am I better off with something else?

Counter question: What led you to the HD600? What random amp and DAC did you buy?

Surely these weren't random purchases.

HiResDes

I think the HD600 are an incredible pair of headphones but they definitely wouldn't be my top choice if I mainly listened to electronic music. I'd think you want something more bass focused not just in quantity but with a really precise decay

Counter question: What led you to the HD600? What random amp and DAC did you buy?

Surely these weren't random purchases.

The HD600s are reviewed very favorably and $220 is the lowest it has even been (HD6XX was $200 but that is the 650). It was neutral and not knowing anything about what that really means I figured it'd be a safe place to start. I also read it was very accurate so I liked that. The amp/dac I bought was the monoprice one. It has great connectivity.

That's probably the most sound and well thought out foray into headphones ever I started out with Audio Technica M40s back in the day, the old version was giant cold and a bit shrill sounding I listened to them recently and yeah pretty much a dogshit headphone.

Well I've bought shitty skullcandy headphones in the past but the first pair of headphones I bought after doing any research were HD681 Evos. I didn't want to spend too much money. They seem pretty good for the ~$45 I spent.

Edit: I saw 400i the other day with a dac/amp for $249/259. If I saw those first I may have just bought them - not too late though. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to get $220 back for my 600s if I went that route.

Tommy DJ

Even for the Utopia, take a look at DNA if your looking at getting some serious quality amps. The Stratus (or if your rolling in cash, the Stellaris) would both be good amps for the Utopia IMO, though do try and listen or get feedback from others who have had more extensive exposure to them. The Sonett 1 & 2 probably not so much. Too high of an output impedance for the Utopia. Plus they are discontinued and can only (rarely) be found used.

Wish Donald North still sold the Sonnett, seeing it was a really neat amp for not too much money. His latest offerings are just way too expensive.

Wish Donald North still sold the Sonnett, seeing it was a really neat amp for not too much money. His latest offerings are just way too expensive.

I think he's been floating the idea around for something akin to a mini Stratus or an upgraded Sonett. Whatever it is, if it hits the Sonett price range I'll be buying one immediately. My Sonett is the best I have ever heard my 800 and 650 with.

leng jai

I actually wonder how my HD800 would sound with a different amp. I bought my WA 2 to pair with my T1 and never bothered changing once I moved to the Senns. Just doesn't seem worthwhile getting swapping out an amp that expensive just for synergy.

I actually wonder how my HD800 would sound with a different amp. I bought my WA 2 to pair with my T1 and never bothered changing once I moved to the Senns. Just doesn't seem worthwhile getting swapping out an amp that expensive just for synergy.

Find a local hifi shop and test it out maybe?

matmanx1

I think that's a fairly smart purchase. For gaming you definitely want an open back design (which those are) which is superior for sound stage. With a big sound stage you get more of a sense of space in the audio and can better tell which direction a sound is coming from and how far away it might be.

Obviously good game audio design matters a lot (look at Overwatch with Dolby Atmos - it's divine with a good pair of open back headphones) but with the HD600's you at least have the right equipment in place.

Jabronium

I haven't gotten my Schiit or Teaks yet, but here I am thinking about what upgrades should be first. What have I done getting into this.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I haven't gotten my Schiit or Teaks yet, but here I am thinking about what upgrades should be first. What have I done getting into this.

I started with a Fiio E17 pretty much exactly two years ago and ever since things have escalated pretty rapidly through a Magni/Modi stack to a BifrostMB/Asgard stack to a Schiit Ragnarok and Schiit Yggdrasil stack... Run while you can

Jabronium

I started with a Fiio E17 pretty much exactly two years ago and ever since things have escalated pretty rapidly through a Magni/Modi stack to a BifrostMB/Asgard stack to a Schiit Ragnarok and Schiit Yggdrasil stack... Run while you can

That's what's up. I've already been thinking "hm, I wonder if I should get a multibit DAC and balanced amp for no particular reason".

matmanx1

For what it's worth, I hear amazing things about the Yggrdrasil. My only problem with it and the Rag are the physical size of the units themselves. I would need to build or buy a separate shelf just to hold them!

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to find a Yggy in my setup someday. The SQ of an amazing Mutlibit DAC is just too tempting to ignore.

Meteorain

I have stepped into the audophile world of the first time this Xmas by geting myself a decent set of headphones and a DAC/AMP.

Headphones: AKG K702
DAC/AMP: Creative E5

I know this the beginning end of the audiophile world, but wow what a huge step up from what I had before. The DAC/AMP really is what made the difference. Hell even my car listening experience improved by adding the damn thing between the phone and my car.

I have also found myself on a crazed spree of acquiring as muich flac music of the stuff I listen to. The files get disturbingly large as well.

All in all, this is one of the happiest purchases I have made.

Tommy DJ

Upgraditis only happens when you get caught up by the hype or don't really understand why you should upgrade. That's how people end up buying useless audio hardware or the mid-fi purgatory where you end up with a dozen pairs of AKG/Beyerdynamic/Chi-Fi/Hifiman garbage from Massdrop.

NotSelf

Congrats Meteorain enjoy your k702 I've had mine for 5 years and they still sound great I have the head bumps on mine. The k702 are the best non fatiguing listening experience also the best in instrument separation.

NotSelf

Never tried the HD600 but I do have HD 6XX and I still think the k702 is above it in that regard. I probably should have went with the HD600 instead since I do prefer a more neutral sound.

matmanx1

Upgraditis only happens when you get caught up by the hype or don't really understand why you should upgrade. That's how people end up buying useless audio hardware or the mid-fi purgatory where you end up with a dozen pairs of AKG/Beyerdynamic/Chi-Fi/Hifiman garbage from Massdrop.

Yeah I want to avoid mid-fi purgatory. The Grace Design M9xx is a sexy little dac/amp but it isn't a large enough upgrade over the Fostex unit I just purchased to justify the expense. The smart thing at this point would be for me to save up for an actual multibit dac with the amp of my choice while eventually adding a pair of flagship HP's. This will take some time but should be worth the wait.

Until then the MA900 / 99 Classics combo with the Fostex dac/amp is already a big jump over where I was just a month or so ago and I've gotten several multi hour listening sessions under my belt over this long Holiday weekend. My audio life is pretty good at this point.

Duxxy3

Love my HE400i's for music. Easily the best I've ever had for that use. But for gaming... I'll stick to my DT770's. I just like the experience more. It works well with my mixamp, so that's a bonus.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

So true.

People need to understand why the FOTM head-fi crowd is not where you go for buying guidance. Those people have lost the plot completely, and mainly just buy the new stuff so they can feel like they're a part of a community. The majority of these people don't even know what they are hearing, and just nod along to whatever hype the topic creator regurgitates.

Like those who blind buy whatever Monoprice puts out. I forget that guy's username, but he was posting a new "giant killer" every week.

Totakeke

While I agree with the sentiment, the problem is that most people don't have the ability or resources to know what they're upgrading for. Unless you've had a better system or know what a good audio rig can sound like, you really don't know why exactly you're upgrading your system other than a vague belief that it will sound better.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I think it's a symptom of the difficulty of teaching people what good audio sounds like, and what to listen for.

There are some obvious things that are quite easy to recognise even for beginners such as bass slam and soundstage. Those were certainly the things that stood out to me when I got my first pair of good headphones (Fostex TH-600s).

But when you get to things like the impact of a good DAC, it becomes much harder to explain what you are looking for. How do you tell someone what to listen for in 'separation' or 'clarify'? How do you describe what to listen for in 'too laid back mids' or 'U shaped sound'? I guess one short hand could be fatigue, whether the sound becomes jarring. Or how 'full' it sounds. But overall, it's hard to talk about sound.

Someone should do a book about it, really.

I think it's a symptom of the difficulty of teaching people what good audio sounds like, and what to listen for.

There are some obvious things that are quite easy to recognise even for beginners such as bass slam and soundstage. Those were certainly the things that stood out to me when I got my first pair of good headphones (Fostex TH-600s).

But when you get to things like the impact of a good DAC, it becomes much harder to explain what you are looking for. How do you tell someone what to listen for in 'separation' or 'clarify'? How do you describe what to listen for in 'too laid back mids' or 'U shaped sound'? I guess one short hand could be fatigue, whether the sound becomes jarring. Or how 'full' it sounds. But overall, it's hard to talk about sound.

Someone should do a book about it, really.

An audiobook ;)

DACs are the worst value for money outside of cables. The differences are minuscule after a certain point.

Besides my Sonett, my DAC changes have been more noticeable than my amp changes.

My experience has been headphones>DAC>amp. I don't even put cables in the equation. Although I do have a new digital converter so I can ditch USB.

matmanx1

Besides my Sonett, my DAC changes have been more noticeable than my amp changes.

My experience has been headphones>DAC>amp. I don't even put cables in the equation. Although I do have a new digital converter so I can ditch USB.

Interesting. What DAC's have you tried and which ones have you liked and kept?

jett

D-Member
Can anyone recommend some decent-sounding noise-canceling headphones? I'm good enough with the audio quality of my sennheiser 555's, if that deserves as a barometer.

Prez

Sennheiser HD25 light, recommendable? I used to own a HD25-1 II and loved it so much until it got stolen.

Maybe anything comparable under $150? Looking for small non-open headphones. I like good bass and midbass but not too much. HD25-1 II and my current HD555 sound signatures is what I'm looking for.

Top Bottom