• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

LCfiner

Finally got shipment notice for my Flare R2Pro/R2A! God, thought I'd have to wait til next week for this to finally happen. Been hearing extremely good things in regard to the Pro from a guy I've been keepin in touch with. Will try to chip in with impressions once they're in house and I've got some time under my belt.

Oh, and seems LCFiner has been sucked in by Flare as well, so hopefully he'll be able to leave some impressions as well lol

Indeed I was. A fellow Canadian was selling some Flares used and we just agreed to a deal on the R2Pro (looks like the person will be keeping a set of R2A)

So I’ll be getting the flares by next Monday, most likely. And the Angies around 1.5 weeks after that. So I should have a good handle on the flares by the time the Angies show up.

I’ll only be keeping one. that part I know for sure. I don’t know which, though

HiResDes

Arrived!

Will give impressions after a few days of use

OHLrejbl.jpg

rDOQSdPl.jpg
Still loving mine though I think I'm getting more sub bass now that I'm using the Spinfits.

andylsun

Still loving mine though I think I'm getting more sub bass now that I'm using the Spinfits.

How large do the spinfits go and which ones for the rockets? I'm using the largest of the four rocket tips and they seal very well indeed. I had to move the tri-flange down towards the cable a bit.

HiResDes

How large do the spinfits go and which ones for the rockets? I'm using the largest of the four rocket tips and they seal very well indeed. I had to move the tri-flange down towards the cable a bit.
They go to large... But if you're getting a good deal don't worry about it.

amnesiac

OK so here's my situation right now.

I have a pair of ATH-M50s. I love them to death. They sound great, are very comfortable, and are built really well. However, I've had the unfortunate experience of breaking of the tip of the 3.5mm jack three times. First time, it was under warranty and I sent it in and they sent me back a brand new pair. Second time, it wasn't under warranty and I sent it in and they repaired it for $60. The third time happened a couple days ago which is why I'm posting here right now. My dilemma is, do I pay $60 and get them repaired or do I just go all out and buy an upgraded pair of headphones?

If I decide to keep them and send them in for repair, that would be the cheapest option but the headphone jack would still be vulnerable to breaking again with no easy fix. Yeah, I could mod it to have a removable cable, but I'm really not good with that sort of stuff.

If I go with a new pair of headphones, I have two requirements: they must be closed and have a removable cable. I am not willing to spend over $350, which brings up an important question:

Will I notice a significant improvement with a pair of $300 headphones over my ATH-M50s? My biggest worry is that if I spend $300 on a pair of headphones, I won't be blown away the same way that I was with the ATH-M50s when I first got them. It also seems like for the $200+ price range, there's really no "go-to" pair that is generally considered the best like the ATH-M50s are for their price range, so that makes the decision process a little more difficult.

Some contenders:

ATH-M70x
beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus
Sennheiser Momentum

(other suggestions welcome!)

Another option is just to buy another pair of ATH-M50x's because I know how good they are and have the removable cable feature. I could use the rest of my budget on buying a decent amp/DAC.

My current amp situation is silly. I guess I've overlooked it ever since I first got my headphones. I have a Fiio E6 portable amp, but it doesn't give it quite the kick I need to. It almost reaches my comfortable listening volume, but I need a little more. Is the Fiio E10K a good choice? Will it give the sound a better kick than the E6 does? What should I be looking at in terms of how much better it will perform (dB, ohms, etc)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Tommy DJ

I would say yes, you would be able to tell a difference between the ATH-M50x and the main choices in the $300 price point. That price bracket is where you get most of the legends that have stood the test of time, like the Sennheiser HD600s and Beyerdynamic DT-880.

In my opinion, the most obvious choices around that price bracket include:
- AKG 7XX
- Sennheiser HD600
- Beyerdynamic DT-880
- Philips Fidelio X2

For a $350-400 system, you could get a used Geek Out 450 is around $150 (?) on Head-Fi and a AKG 7XX, Sennehsier HD600, Beyerdynamic DT-880 for $200-250 if I'm not mistaken. In the case of the Sennehsier HD600, I wouldn't be worried about buying them second hand considering everything is easily user replaceable and the design is extremely simple.

At the end of the day, its probably best if you listen before you buy but I think the above option will result in a system that you'll be pretty happy with.

HiResDes

It depends on what you want out of a headphone. They're plenty of headphones in that range that offer better balance and even better detail, but not as many that really sport the same sound signature, which I think is rather unique on the M50. Also it seems like you're looking for a closed portable headphone right? I don't know why people keep mentioning the M70x like it's this great headphone just because it has a bigger number than the M50s...My suggestions would depend upon you being more specific about your needs.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
No experience with them personally, but from what I gathered I get the impression that the focal spirit classic is the most technically impressive closed, portable headphone at that price range.

HiResDes

Spirit Pro maybe. Yamaha MT220, KEF M500, Spirit Pro, and NAD Viso HP50 probably the most technically proficient. People are really hyping the Mikros 90 too, but I think they're uncomfortable with my short time with them.

Antiwhippy

Man, I still want a Kef M500 just due to how gorgeous it looks.

I heard that the ATH MSR7 is also getting a lot of buzz in that price range.

amnesiac

I would say yes, you would be able to tell a difference between the ATH-M50x and the main choices in the $300 price point. That price bracket is where you get most of the legends that have stood the test of time, like the Sennheiser HD600s and Beyerdynamic DT-880.

In my opinion, the most obvious choices around that price bracket include:
- AKG 7XX
- Sennheiser HD600
- Beyerdynamic DT-880
- Philips Fidelio X2

For a $350-400 system, you could get a used Geek Out 450 is around $150 (?) on Head-Fi and a AKG 7XX, Sennehsier HD600, Beyerdynamic DT-880 for $200-250 if I'm not mistaken. In the case of the Sennehsier HD600, I wouldn't be worried about buying them second hand considering everything is easily user replaceable and the design is extremely simple.

At the end of the day, its probably best if you listen before you buy but I think the above option will result in a system that you'll be pretty happy with.

These seem like good headphones but they are all open-back, which I don't think I can go with. You can't blast music through them at night when family is sleeping, can you?

It depends on what you want out of a headphone. They're plenty of headphones in that range that offer better balance and even better detail, but not as many that really sport the same sound signature, which I think is rather unique on the M50. Also it seems like you're looking for a closed portable headphone right? I don't know why people keep mentioning the M70x like it's this great headphone just because it has a bigger number than the M50s...My suggestions would depend upon you being more specific about your needs.

I don't need them to be portable. I don't think I'll ever be taking them out of the house. Would really love to have a pair of open headphones but I do most of my listening late at night so I don't really think that's an option. The headphones need to have a removable cable. The gist of what I will be doing is this: listening to music at home at night, and recording music. My budget is $300, but I would be willing to go $350 if I absolutely needed to.

LCfiner

In terms of overall sq for a closed headphone in your price range, i would recommend getting a refurbished oppo pm-3 for 320 bucks.

But if you want a more vibrant treble like the M50, then there are probably other choices (ones I have not heard)

These seem like good headphones but they are all open-back, which I don't think I can go with. You can't blast music through them at night when family is sleeping, can you?
If you're in a different room then yes you can with most sets unless you have it so loud you're on track to going deaf. Generally not if you're in the same room together though.

Chittagong

Gold Member
So, just over half a year of wondering on this thread and getting my first better headphones and DAC/AMP, I decided to get a separate on the road setup.

As a background, I love the Fostex TH-600s I got early this year. Their clarity, their soundscape, their deep and heavy bass. These qualities make them a wonderful headset for someone grown up listening to Genelec monitors. The TH-600s are really big however, and the portable Slappa case for them takes up half of my carry-on luggage allowance. Furthermore, their cable is super long, thick and heavy. But they are a great headset for home use.

The bigger disappointment, however, was my first choice of DAC/AMP, the Fiio E17. It just didn't seem to add anything to the mix. It only had a 3.5mm audio connector, and the impact on sound quality was minimal, in my opinion. So I got an entry level Schiit stack and decided to dedicate the Fostex TH-600s to my design studio iMac - I'd listen to them when I work. There they benefit of the desktop amp, and the heavy cable or bulky size wouldn't bother me. So with my Fostex TH-600s and the entry Schist stack reserved to studio use, I needed a new travel kit.

After a lot of research and help in this thread, I decided to go for the new Oppo HA-2 DAC/AMP and Oppo PM-3 headphones. One day in, I am pretty impressed.

Oppo PM-3: The clarity of the Oppo PM-3 is very pleasing, it reproduces a very detailed overall image. The sense of space is clearly much smaller than in the TH-600s, as is the bass. There is much less boom. The sound is close, but clear and bright - close like Audezes but less warm. The size and build of the headset are perfect for travel use. They are easy to pack for travel, the cable is small and slim, and I don't look like a twat with them on. Also while the TH-600s leak like a mofo, the PM-3a are whisper quiet, better for airplane use.

Generally, the Oppo PM-3s feel like a closer, toned down version of the TH-600s. I wish there would be a highly portable closed back, non-leaky headset with a wider soundscape, but for now, this is probably the best I can hope for on-the-road use.

Oppo HA-2: For me, this DAC/AMP is spectacular. It's what I hoped a portable DAC/AMP would actually be. Listening to an iPhone 6 Plus with and without them is like a night and day. The clarity I can draw out of the iPhone lighting port is incredible, compared to the 3.5mm analog port and iPhone's own DAC. And the direct connection without the hassle of a Camera Kit makes it perfect for travel use. The device adds a ton more in terms of depth, punch and sharpness compared to the Fiio E17, which I was disappointed with. The build quality is absolutely spectacular, and the device comes will every cable I could hope for. Really happy overall, they add a ton of value whether I use it with my Fostex TH-600s or the Oppo PM-3s.

What I listened to

As sources, I use highest quality Spotify or Apple Music tracks downloaded to device.

In terms of music selection, the track I tend to use to test sound stage is Coldplay's 'Magic' (Live At The Enmore Theatre, Sydney). The different yells from the audience, and the location of the band give quickly a good feel of the overall image.

For bass, I use Royksopp's 'Skulls', it has a really heavy bass from 0:40 onwards.

For clarity, I use Paco de Lucia’s ‘Entre Dos Aquas’. The guitar strings and the his are a good way for me to test the separation.

For complexity and separation, I use U2’s ‘The Miracle (of Joey Ramone), it’s a very dense track with a lot of overlapping instruments.

For female voice, I use Dido's 'White Flag', it has really nice details in breaths and lip sounds.

sdornan

So, just over half a year of wondering on this thread and getting my first better headphones and DAC/AMP, I decided to get a separate on the road setup.

As a background, I love the Fostex TH-600s I got early this year. Their clarity, their soundscape, their deep and heavy bass. These qualities make them a wonderful headset for someone grown up listening to Genelec monitors. The TH-600s are really big however, and the portable Slappa case for them takes up half of my carry-on luggage allowance. Furthermore, their cable is super long, thick and heavy. But they are a great headset for home use.

The bigger disappointment, however, was my first choice of DAC/AMP, the Fiio E17. It just didn't seem to add anything to the mix. It only had a 3.5mm audio connector, and the impact on sound quality was minimal, in my opinion. So I got an entry level Schiit stack and decided to dedicate the Fostex TH-600s to my design studio iMac - I'd listen to them when I work. There they benefit of the desktop amp, and the heavy cable or bulky size wouldn't bother me. So with my Fostex TH-600s and the entry Schist stack reserved to studio use, I needed a new travel kit.

After a lot of research and help in this thread, I decided to go for the new Oppo HA-2 DAC/AMP and Oppo PM-3 headphones. One day in, I am pretty impressed.

Oppo PM-3: The clarity of the Oppo PM-3 is very pleasing, it reproduces a very detailed overall image. The sense of space is clearly much smaller than in the TH-600s, as is the bass. There is much less boom. The sound is close, but clear and bright - close like Audezes but less warm. The size and build of the headset are perfect for travel use. They are easy to pack for travel, the cable is small and slim, and I don't look like a twat with them on. Also while the TH-600s leak like a mofo, the PM-3a are whisper quiet, better for airplane use.

Generally, the Oppo PM-3s feel like a closer, toned down version of the TH-600s. I wish there would be a highly portable closed back, non-leaky headset with a wider soundscape, but for now, this is probably the best I can hope for on-the-road use.

Oppo HA-2: For me, this DAC/AMP is spectacular. It's what I hoped a portable DAC/AMP would actually be. Listening to an iPhone 6 Plus with and without them is like a night and day. The clarity I can draw out of the iPhone lighting port is incredible, compared to the 3.5mm analog port and iPhone's own DAC. And the direct connection without the hassle of a Camera Kit makes it perfect for travel use. The device adds a ton more in terms of depth, punch and sharpness compared to the Fiio E17, which I was disappointed with. The build quality is absolutely spectacular, and the device comes will every cable I could hope for. Really happy overall, they add a ton of value whether I use it with my Fostex TH-600s or the Oppo PM-3s.

What I listened to

As sources, I use highest quality Spotify or Apple Music tracks downloaded to device.

In terms of music selection, the track I tend to use to test sound stage is Coldplay's 'Magic' (Live At The Enmore Theatre, Sydney). The different yells from the audience, and the location of the band give quickly a good feel of the overall image.

For bass, I use Royksopp's 'Skulls', it has a really heavy bass from 0:40 onwards.

For clarity, I use Paco de Lucia’s ‘Entre Dos Aquas’. The guitar strings and the his are a good way for me to test the separation.

For complexity and separation, I use U2’s ‘The Miracle (of Joey Ramone), it’s a very dense track with a lot of overlapping instruments.

For female voice, I use Dido's 'White Flag', it has really nice details in breaths and lip sounds.

Thanks for the reviews. Very helpful for someone who's about to buy the Oppo PM-3s. The only thing stopping me is them not being available on Amazon and wanting to use Amazon credit on them. Is Oppo's website really the only place to get them?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Thanks for the reviews. Very helpful for someone who's about to buy the Oppo PM-3s. The only thing stopping me is them not being available on Amazon and wanting to use Amazon credit on them. Is Oppo's website really the only place to get them?

Hmm... They are available at Amazon UK. I was visiting Finland, and since Euro is in the shitter, the cost of Oppo gear was, incredibly, pretty much the same at a Finnish boutique retailer (www.mareks.fi) as the cheapest Amazon UK price was, so I got them here.

Malleavel

I love the cans that I have, but I have always been curious toward iems. I just want to know if they can be as good as people say.

Is there a nice-priced iem so well regarded and recommended that it would be hard to go wrong?

Antiwhippy

Ostry KC06A seems to be the flavour of the month when it comes to budget IEMs.

Even cheaper would be the xiaomi pistons 2.0 or 3.0, which are really good for their price. Beware of fakes though.

Malleavel

Ostry KC06A seems to be the flavour of the month when it comes to budget IEMs.

Even cheaper would be the xiaomi pistons 2.0 or 3.0, which are really good for their price. Beware of fakes though.

Thanks for the advice, but I was more curious whether the hype over the flashy, multi-driver iem companies like noble, 1964, and heir was deserved or not.
I guess maybe ciems?

Antiwhippy

Oof, that's reaching into the territory of multiple hundreds there.

You can give brands like brainwavz and meelectronic. They all have multi-driver and balanced armature designs on a budget.

I'm playing around with the meelectronic m-duo currently, which is a dual driver design with the second driver being a dedicated subwoofer. You need to make sure you get a really good seal with these, but they are pretty fun. As expected the bass is a bit boomy and unrefined, but it has good depth and body and it's the fun kind of boomy. Good highs and the mids aren't incredibly recessed if you can get a good seal. Definitely worth the price I paid for it.

HiResDes

Thanks for the advice, but I was more curious whether the hype over the flashy, multi-driver iem companies like noble, 1964, and heir was deserved or not.
I guess maybe ciems?
The new hotness are the Flare IEMs, which are supposed to be comparable to some of the TOTL sets at a fraction of the cost if you get in on the kickstarter now.

Volotaire

. I think you'll be fine with just the Mixamp though and the X2 sound fine unimpeded.
The Tenore are still an incredible value, sporting near unparalleled sound quality within their price range. However the quality control and build quality of even the legit models is a bit shaky. And I do believe both the Basso and Tenore have fakes out. The Basso are pretty good but feature a less detailed V-shaped sound signature that's bit more fun with certain genres. I think the Ostry KC06 are a good alternative to the Tenore, though a bit pricier, but they have better build quality. The Vsonic VSD3 is a good alternative to the Basso.

How about the differences in the low end?

Thanks for the help. Researching the build quality, the wire build quality does concern me. I don't think I'll be purchasing them (because of the build quality) and the others you have suggested, since ordering them from the UK means a risk of a £18 extra import duty charge plus a percentage value of the item.

If any UK citizens here could suggest a set of IEM's for about £30-£35 without purchasing from outside the EU (to avoid import charges) and from a reliable website, that would be fantastic.

LCfiner

The new hotness are the Flare IEMs, which are supposed to be comparable to some of the TOTL sets at a fraction of the cost if you get in on the kickstarter now.

I think the kickstarter has been over for a while.

prices now are quite a bit more expensive and the sound is apparently very sensitive to tip selection. If you don't like foam complys, it seems they don't sound all that good

Antiwhippy

Thanks for the help. Researching the build quality, the wire build quality does concern me. I don't think I'll be purchasing them (because of the build quality) and the others you have suggested, since ordering them from the UK means a risk of a £18 extra import duty charge plus a percentage value of the item.

If any UK citizens here could suggest a set of IEM's for about £30-£35 without purchasing from outside the EU (to avoid import charges) and from a reliable website, that would be fantastic.

Maybe try the meelectronic m6 pro? Has a detachable cable if you're worried about the headphones becoming useless once the wire inevitably breaks.

HiResDes

Hmm well you can get Dunu DN 2000J for $299 on Massdrop not a bad deal.

Dunu Titan getting a lot of love in the $100 range, and Ostry/Zero Audio Tenore still holding down the lower levels for the most part.

Not sure of what they have in stock right now, but advancedmp3players have 15% off site wide through until the end of the month if that help's.

Popular budget brands are Dunu, Meelectronics and Soundmagic if that helps.

Acrylic7

I just got these MDR-AS600BT Sony Bluetooth earphones.

url

For $100 I'm pretty sure I was paying for the name alone but these are actually very decent. 8.5hours of playtime and they actually stay in you ear while moving, even running.

If you are looking for some Bluetooth earphones these are great. After my Vita earbuds (I dont have a Vita), V6's, and 6506's I can honestly vouch for Sony's mobile audio stuff. Always great.

Blitzhex

There's a $70 O2 amp drop going on massdrop. They're going to be customizing the front panel a bit with a matte look and possibly add rear input/power etc.

andylsun

I just got these MDR-AS600BT Sony Bluetooth earphones.

url

For $100 I'm pretty sure I was paying for the name alone but these are actually very decent. 8.5hours of playtime and they actually stay in you ear while moving, even running.

If you are looking for some Bluetooth earphones these are great. After my Vita earbuds (I dont have a Vita), V6's, and 6506's I can honestly vouch for Sony's mobile audio stuff. Always great.

I used my vita earbuds at the gym for a year. Wonderful at the price

You want a shock, try the Sony Ericsson MH1. Cable microphonics aside they are amazing for the price ($20). Put some tape over the ports at the back.

Rockets update: used them on a flight to Hong Kong. Still amazing. Mids and treble are wonderful. The bass is there but not face melting. Still think perhaps a little bass shy but then a deep note kicks in and I then realize it's just good balanced bass.

Mix of radiohead, Nicolas jaar, orbital, tori Amos, the the and some Dave Brubeck. On my phone so will write up some more impressions later

Hopefully someone here can help me. My Steelseries Siberia V2 is crapping out and figured it would be better to replace them with a real set of headphones and a modmic. I was going to get the HD598s, but they're $240 CDN. Any suggestions for a good/decent pair of headphones in the $200 CDN range?

XBP

Any suggestions for headphones around 50$? Friend is looking to get something for watching movies and some music (country and pop).

Chittagong

Gold Member
Would the HE-2 DAC be much better than say something like the DAC Magic?

Also, can it be used with a Vita or 3DS?

I don't know about DAC Magic, but the HA-2 DAC is much more useful than most DACs since it works straight off the Lightning port on iPhone. Before it you needed the Camera Kit contraption. Android always had USB anyway, of course.

Vita and 3DS have analog out so you can't use a DAC with them. And even an Amp seems a bit useless, at least on my Vita.

HiResDes

Hopefully someone here can help me. My Steelseries Siberia V2 is crapping out and figured it would be better to replace them with a real set of headphones and a modmic. I was going to get the HD598s, but they're $240 CDN. Any suggestions for a good/decent pair of headphones in the $200 CDN range?
Audio Technica ATH-900x
Brainwavz Hm5
Takstar Hi 2050
Samson SR850
JVC S680

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
I'm looking for new headphones since my old ones (Sennheiser HD 408) are dying. Does anyone have any recommendations for similar sounding ones. Gonna wear them for hours at work to listen to music.

I don't want to spend more than €40.

Antiwhippy

Damn, the m-duos are satisfying my basshead cravings so much that I'm going to sell my momentum. Think I'll target a more neutral portable to play around with next time. The m-duo's mids are nowhere near as sweet as the momentum but it's still decent and the momentum's lack of treble extension has been bothering me for awhile now. The m-duo seems to fit more with what I want out of a basshead sound. They're honestly pretty damn good for the price.

HiResDes

I'm looking for new headphones since my old ones (Sennheiser HD 408) are dying. Does anyone have any recommendations for similar sounding ones. Gonna wear them for hours at work to listen to music.

I don't want to spend more than €40.
Here are some decent suggestions at that price, already checked Amazon UK:

JVC S680
JVC RX 700
Panasonic HTF600
Samson SR850
Beyerdynamic DT 235

Volotaire

Maybe try the meelectronic m6 pro? Has a detachable cable if you're worried about the headphones becoming useless once the wire inevitably breaks.

Not sure of what they have in stock right now, but advancedmp3players have 15% off site wide through until the end of the month if that help's.

Popular budget brands are Dunu, Meelectronics and Soundmagic if that helps.

Hmm thanks for the advice, but I think I'm going to risk getting the Zero Audio. The set gets rave reviews I just cannot ignore, and I think if I'm careful they should not break in a short period. Also, the risk cost of getting charged at customs is less than the cost of purchasing them in the UK, so it seem like a no brainer.

NEO0MJ

Anyway to tell if your headphones are dying? I've had my Audio Technica ATHESW9A for a few years now and was wondering when (or if) they should be replaced.

LCfiner

Just gathering my thoughts on the Flare R2Pro. posted this on head-fi and some here might be curious.

I just got a used set of Flare R2Pros and I think they’re pretty great. I’m amazed by their small size. I’m using the stock complys.

Soundstage is pretty interesting as it’s a bit more in front of the head than inside the head. Just a bit. it’s not particularly wide but imaging is excellent. My first impression is that their tone is very natural and realistic. bass is present but only very slightly boosted (I prefer that for my IEMs to make up for loss of body impact). it’s quick and clean and tight.

Mids are very natural and clear. I think there might be a little bit of upper mids recession to prevent some shoutiness but I don’t think it’s very much. Overall, all my key songs to test male and female vocals and stringed instruments sound excellent. very rich and present. No mid bass bleed or bloat.

Treble is very smooth with no harshness. Some tracks I have that are mastered a bit hot and are compressed don’t sound painful or shrill - they sound closer to my speakers. but I don’t get the sense that the treble is too heavily subdued. there is a nice sparkle when called for.

As a first impression, I’m very happy. The sound is clean, clear, excellently balanced. Lots of detail and speed: instruments have a good sense of space and complex passages don’t sound compressed or fuzzy. I’m a bigger “tone" guy than “details” guy so keep that in mind with my impressions. It’s possible other IEMs in this price range can extract more detail but I doubt I’d be able to tell.

Top Bottom