• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

As good or better IMO. I don't even think the HE1000 has all that much on a standard 20X. Hell, someone sold a 20X system on HF for like... $200 the other day lol. If you could look into buying used off the Japanese market (fujiya etc.) that's the way to do it.

Some impressions place the 207 (which is the headphone that comes with the 2170 correct?) as not having really good bass extension.

This is just from a few impressions though. The only good source of info I can find on them is in 1 thread on head-fi. Most people more concerned with the newer thousands dollar setups.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
From what I know the lack of bass could have something to do with the fit as well and not sealing it properly, which is not a surprise considering its tall profile.

andylsun

Some impressions place the 207 (which is the headphone that comes with the 2170 correct?) as not having really good bass extension.

This is just from a few impressions though. The only good source of info I can find on them is in 1 thread on head-fi. Most people more concerned with the newer thousands dollar setups.

Listening to something like James Blake Limit to your Love on the 207's, there's plenty of bass. The thing is its present but you don't get the head shaking feel. I would say there's just the right amount but it's heard and not felt.

The sub bass note that starts Unfinished Sympathy comes over lovely as well as the low bass on Dj Shadow building steam with a grain of salt.

I would agree that coming from dynamic headphones they can initially sound bass shy in comparison but the more I listen to them it just feels different not less.

207's do come as part of the SRS-2170 kit. See my pics on the first page of this thread.

Listening to something like James Blake Limit to your Love on the 207's, there's plenty of bass. The thing is its present but you don't get the head shaking feel. I would say there's just the right amount but it's heard and not felt.

The sub bass note that starts Unfinished Sympathy comes over lovely as well as the low bass on Dj Shadow building steam with a grain of salt.

I would agree that coming from dynamic headphones they can initially sound bass shy in comparison but the more I listen to them it just feels different not less.

207's do come as part of the SRS-2170 kit. See my pics on the first page of this thread.

How do you find the comfort and build quality? Built to last?

andylsun

How do you find the comfort and build quality? Built to last?

For me they are comfortable - listening straight a couple of hours without any issue. I have them about half-way on the sliders. I do find I get slight pressure below the ear - just on the jaw area, but it's not too bad - if I wear them slightly higher then that goes away. There's plenty of adjustment to get a comfortable fit and good seal.

They are different for sure compared to most headphones in terms of fit, and they are *very* open. My family can hear them in the other room, so that may be a problem for those around you. They have no isolation, so if someone is watching TV in the other room, you'll be able to hear it.

In terms of build quality, they do feel very solid - plastic frames throughout, but there are many lambda headphones that are many years old without issue. If you do break the frame, then be prepared for an expensive fix - parts are very expensive. I wouldn't want to drop them, compared to my Sennheiser HD-595 that feel they could take more of a beating.

I do treat them with kid gloves. I keep them in a ESD bag when not in use to keep any dust off them, and I'm careful with them and the cable. If you've got young kids who like to fiddle with shiny things, or a puppy dog that likes to destroy things, then these should be kept out of reach.

I probably wouldn't want to move them often from room to room. Lugging the energizer (SRM-252) power brick and headphones around is not really what they are designed for. They are suited to a dedicated location (e.g. work/study desk or comfy music listening location). I wouldn't take them to work and back every day for example.

Despite all the above, I don't regret getting them for a minute - for me they are my home/music room end game headphones. Doesn't mean I don't want a planar for travel, but for home I'm done.

There's pleennttty of extension down to the sub bass on the 207. Tyll has measured it down to pretty much 20 hz IIRC. Roll off occurs at around 30 hz or so but hey the linearity of the bass means that it's not muddy or obfuscated like on some bass boosted sets with high distortion. Bass on Stax is very punchy, palpable. I'm not sure why people say it's heard, and not felt. It's easily felt And can shake your head on certain tracks.

So Christmas is coming and I really can't think of much that I want, but my family keeps asking me.

So.... I already own a pair of Sennheiser HD 598s which I love, but I'm wondering if an Amp/DAC unit would make the listening experience all that more amazing.

Is it overkill to get something like a Fiio E07K or E17 for these headphones? Would it make any kind of noticeable difference?

I'm also a little unclear what these combo devices can be used for. From what I understand, the DAC portion is what typical computer sound card already does so by plugging one of these in via USB, you are circumventing your sound card and letting the device perform a better conversion? What if I want to simply amp from sources that are not a computer, like my 3DS or phone?

Soodanim

The HM5 would be the better cheap option IMO.

The Yamaha MT-220 vs DT 770 shouldn't be a hard decision. They're so different it's just about what you want.

The MT-220 are fairly flat headphones with accurate and fast bass, which extends fairly deep but comes in a fairly low quantity. They're slightly dark in terms of treble though, but have a pretty good midrange and a fairly average soundstage. Good detail in every facet, but a bit analytical.

The DT770 are more v-shaped and fun. They have a wider soundstage that would be better for gaming and also more mid-bass which would make them a bit more fun for gaming. Their midrange is a bit recessed to my ears, and they don't have the most detail by comparison, those are the only caveats.

Despite the difference in impedance they both benefit from a budget amp.

The Beyerdynamic DT250 would be a good middle ground between them, just figured out they're within your budget. I definitely prefer them to the DT770 for music. They're great all-arounders

It's hard for me to make decisions based on that because I'm not too familiar with the sound of decent headphones.

What's the general opinion of M50x and HD598? I'm starting to open up to the idea of open backed and now I'm very annoyed with myself as both of these were Black Friday deals.

I've listened to a Soundcloud playlist of a selection of songs adjusted to sound like a large number of headphones, and from the M50x/598/770/220 ones I listened to I think I'd like the 598s more. The drawback seems to be a slight lack of bass which could be bad for someone who listened to hip hop more than any other genre, but I think the idea of a wide soundstage sounds like it could be rather nice.

Why didn't I just bite on BF? It's not like I can't afford it. At least the non-special editions are £130 instead of £190. Not paying £60 for a colour scheme and an extra cable.

Tommy DJ

There's pleennttty of extension down to the sub bass on the 207. Tyll has measured it down to pretty much 20 hz IIRC. Roll off occurs at around 30 hz or so but hey the linearity of the bass means that it's not muddy or obfuscated like on some bass boosted sets with high distortion. Bass on Stax is very punchy, palpable. I'm not sure why people say it's heard, and not felt. It's easily felt And can shake your head on certain tracks.

Yep the 207s can rock pretty hard. Main problem with electrostatics I've found is that I can never get a good enough seal because of glasses or my head shape so there's literally nothing below 100hz or so.

If I rubber-band the Koss ESP950 to my head, the bass response improves considerably so you've got to find a way to get a good fit or else its going to suck.

Today I received my Sony MDR-V6, and considering I bought them from Amazon at USD49.99, I'm impressed as hell.

Because of the so many positive reviews, I was expecting to get an excellent sound, but they surpassed them by a big margin, they are really great. The sound is so pristine. Tons of details in the mid and high part of the spectrum.

5956911564_c6d67826a7.jpg

For sure these Sony have to be among the best at SQ/price ratio.

Antiwhippy

Well I got the aurisonic harmony. Finally!

Had a chance to compare it to the lyra and se846. Still not too sure about the 846. It was better than the previous time I heard it but something about it's tonality that makes me think that it's too aggressive and unnatural. Highs are too shrill and I'm usually not too averse to treble.

The campfire lyra was really nice though. I actually like it quite a lot. Beautiful tonality and coherency, not to mention that it's just beautiful to look at and hold. Ultimately though my preferred signature is a bit more elevated sub bass than what the lyra offers, which is bassy but more mid bassy. I think it's mids are a touch better than the harmony's, but the harmony has the sub bass and high extension that I want.

Need more time with the harmony, but I think they're an upgrade from the 2.5 if you want more clarity and less omfgwtfbbq bass. The 2.5 is still unbeatable as far as endgame bass head goes.

HiResDes

It's hard for me to make decisions based on that because I'm not too familiar with the sound of decent headphones.

What's the general opinion of M50x and HD598? I'm starting to open up to the idea of open backed and now I'm very annoyed with myself as both of these were Black Friday deals.

I've listened to a Soundcloud playlist of a selection of songs adjusted to sound like a large number of headphones, and from the M50x/598/770/220 ones I listened to I think I'd like the 598s more. The drawback seems to be a slight lack of bass which could be bad for someone who listened to hip hop more than any other genre, but I think the idea of a wide soundstage sounds like it could be rather nice.

Why didn't I just bite on BF? It's not like I can't afford it. At least the non-special editions are £130 instead of £190. Not paying £60 for a colour scheme and an extra cable.
There are countless reviews and impressions on headfi on every headphone we've discussed. I really don't think a soundcloud EQ will do a good job of representing the sound signatures of headphones or being to accurately capture the nuances of say the bass of an open headphone versus that of a closed one, the treble peaks of the M50, or the wide soundstage of the 598, etc.

I honestly think you'd probably be happy with any of them, but in my opinion the M50x is one of the most overrated headphones that people seem to buy in drones. It's usually the first decent sounding headphone people get and therefore they think it's incredible. It has a midbass bloat, awkward midrange, and peaky treble.

The 598s have a really wide soundstage good midrange, and fairly well extended treble, but the bass quality and quantity are awful to my ears. I just find their sound signature to be somewhat dull and uninteresting though not technically flawed.

I have to stand by the Beyerdynamic DT 250 as my favorite headphones within your range. http://www.head-fi.org/t/598201/the-beyerdynamic-dt250-thread

Antiwhippy

Reviews on headfi, or for headphone in general really, I find are usually pretty terrible for people first getting into audiophilia honestly. A lot of them uses incredibly flowery language that makes no sense to anyone first coming in (even now I struggle to parse what some people mean with certain terms), and none of them do any meaningful comparisons for people who are inexperienced with the headphones they're comparing to. Even then I find it hard to trust head-fi too much because a lot of the reviews are the shining examples of confirmation bias. Not that I'm free or above it either really.

Best way to do is to just go listen yourself, but I understand that it isn't possible for everyone.

HiResDes

Sure it's best to listen to them firsthand, but you have to start somewhere. I think headphones that have been around a long time usually have more solid impressions. Every headphone we're discussing has been around long enough to get rid of the initial hypebeast reviews you usually get.

Antiwhippy

Yeah, that's true. I've been hanging around the headfi IEM section too much, which is pretty much rife with hypebeasts. I'm somewhat interested in the Empire Ears stuff but my god that thread is like a crime against your eyes. :p

Though really, I don't think people can go wrong if they're just starting out really.

Soodanim

There are countless reviews and impressions on headfi on every headphone we've discussed. I really don't think a soundcloud EQ will do a good job of representing the sound signatures of headphones or being to accurately capture the nuances of say the bass of an open headphone versus that of a closed one, the treble peaks of the M50, or the wide soundstage of the 598, etc.

I honestly think you'd probably be happy with any of them, but in my opinion the M50x is one of the most overrated headphones that people seem to buy in drones. It's usually the first decent sounding headphone people get and therefore they think it's incredible. It has a midbass bloat, awkward midrange, and peaky treble.

The 598s have a really wide soundstage good midrange, and fairly well extended treble, but the bass quality and quantity are awful to my ears. I just find their sound signature to be somewhat dull and uninteresting though not technically flawed.

I have to stand by the Beyerdynamic DT 250 as my favorite headphones within your range. http://www.head-fi.org/t/598201/the-beyerdynamic-dt250-thread
I apologise if I've been a bit of a pain, but looking through some owners threads can be needle in a haystack scenario for impressions, and when I do they're full of stuff I can't properly appreciate even if I do understand it. Reviews sections, like Antiwhippy said, are both technical and all over the place. Of course it's subjective, but for every 10 fantastic 598 reviews there's an "Overrated trash" one that throws it all off, and you don't always know how experienced people are and/or what they're comparing to. 598 bass for example, seems to be shit to some people and fine even if a tad lacking to others. What you've said about them and the M50x is helpful, I thank you.

Truth be told, I only gave the soundcloud playlist a listen because the person who linked it (somewhere on Reddit) said it was pretty accurate on for whatever it was they had and I figured it might help slightly. And I think it has a bit, but I get that it can't show me certain things but as a general idea of how different phones can sound it's a start at least.

I've had a read of first and last few pages of the DT250 thread, and they seem to be pretty consistently good. I'll do some more looking at reviews to get impressions of comfort and whatnot later, but I can see myself going for them (80 Ohm). Thanks again.

Hi Guys,

I have a bit of a n00b question.

I recently purchased the Audioengine A5+ speakers and the Audioengine D1 DAC.

I also have the Philips Fidelio X2 Headphones.

When i plug the cans in to the DAC the volume is far to low but its just right on the speakers. I need to turn in up significantly for the headphones. It's fine but sometimes i forget and when i pull out the plug the speakers kick back in and they they blow me away as they volume is way way to high.

Is this because my cans are low impedance?

I'm not that sure about that stuff so i thought i would ask someone who does know.

Hi Guys,

I have a bit of a n00b question.

I recently purchased the Audioengine A5+ speakers and the Audioengine D1 DAC.

I also have the Philips Fidelio X2 Headphones.

When i plug the cans in to the DAC the volume is far to low but its just right on the speakers. I need to turn in up significantly for the headphones. It's fine but sometimes i forget and when i pull out the plug the speakers kick back in and they they blow me away as they volume is way way to high.

Is this because my cans are low impedance?

I'm not that sure about that stuff so i thought i would ask someone who does know.
So you have the speakers attached through the rear RCA and you plug/unplug the headphones via the front?

My amp suggests you turn the volume down anytime you plug/unplug your headphones... so I do that now out of habit (it has a dial so it's very fast). I would suggest doing the same, just make it a habit.

Miutsu

So Christmas is coming and I really can't think of much that I want, but my family keeps asking me.

So.... I already own a pair of Sennheiser HD 598s which I love, but I'm wondering if an Amp/DAC unit would make the listening experience all that more amazing.

Is it overkill to get something like a Fiio E07K or E17 for these headphones? Would it make any kind of noticeable difference?

I'm also a little unclear what these combo devices can be used for. From what I understand, the DAC portion is what typical computer sound card already does so by plugging one of these in via USB, you are circumventing your sound card and letting the device perform a better conversion? What if I want to simply amp from sources that are not a computer, like my 3DS or phone?

I'm in this exact same situation, word by word.

DagsJT

I've ordered the Creative Sound Blaster G5, due for delivery on Tuesday. I've bought it as an upgrade on my Mixamp although the G5 doesn't have Dolby so not sure what I'll make of the virtual stereo surround compared to the Mixamp surround.

I believe the DAC and amp are a lot better though so we'll see.

So you have the speakers attached through the rear RCA and you plug/unplug the headphones via the front?

My amp suggests you turn the volume down anytime you plug/unplug your headphones... so I do that now out of habit (it has a dial so it's very fast). I would suggest doing the same, just make it a habit.

Yup that's right. The speakers are connected through RCA on the rear and the headphones go in the jack at the front.

It has a dial on the front too so not a huge deal, i just wanted to know if that was expected behavior or something weird going on with my kit.

Do you get a similar effect if you don't turn it down after headphone use?

Tagg9

I'm looking for some closed on-ear over-ear headphones for my sister, preferably fairly high-end ($400 or less). Any suggestions would be appreciated! I'm buying from Canada BTW.

HiResDes

I'm looking for some closed on-ear headphones for my sister, preferably fairly high-end ($400 or less). Any suggestions would be appreciated! I'm buying from Canada BTW.
That's an incredibly high price range for closed on ears so you could pretty much get anything, and because they're so many options need to know what kind of genres you favor.

Tagg9

That's an incredibly high price range for closed on ears so you could pretty much get anything, and because they're so many options need to know what kind of genres you favor.
OK, so she likes to listen to J-pop, rock, and British pop. She also listens to audiobooks a lot but anything would work for that.

If it helps, she currently has Bose ae2 headphones, and likes them but they are kind of falling apart.

Tommy DJ

I apologise if I've been a bit of a pain, but looking through some owners threads can be needle in a haystack scenario for impressions, and when I do they're full of stuff I can't properly appreciate even if I do understand it. Reviews sections, like Antiwhippy said, are both technical and all over the place. Of course it's subjective, but for every 10 fantastic 598 reviews there's an "Overrated trash" one that throws it all off, and you don't always know how experienced people are and/or what they're comparing to. 598 bass for example, seems to be shit to some people and fine even if a tad lacking to others. What you've said about them and the M50x is helpful, I thank you.

A few things about reviews:
- The problem with audio reviews is that most reviewers never give a good reference point.
- Its difficult to describe sound but this job is much easier when the reviewer is able to provide a frame of reference. Like, my pet peeve are people who use the descriptor "detailed highs" without a frame of reference. Do you mean a really clean sounding headphone or a headphone with treble boosting through the roof?
- If they need to use tonnes of jargon to describe sound, then they have no idea what they're talking about. You shouldn't need more than 300 words to sufficiently describe the positives and negatives of a headphone.
- Good headphone reviews must be very specific. If you read them and still have no freaking idea what they're talking about, the reviewer doesn't really understand what he's trying to describe.

With regards to the HD598, the fundamental problem of the HD598 is the broad bass hump, which you can see in frequency response measurements, combined with the overall high 2nd order distortion. This combination often makes headphones sound "soft", which I think is what HiResDes is getting at when he says that they're "dull". This problem becomes really obvious when your frame of reference are more technically proficient headphones with much less 2nd order distortion, like the Sennheiser HD600 or Hifiman HE400S or 400i, where everything just sounds more energetic, bass actually has some impact, and the midrange sounds clearer and doesn't sound like its covered by something I guess.

You are not alone, I don't know what to choose for my 598SE
FiiO E10K (85€ Amazon Italy)?
FiiO Q1 (79€)?
FiiO E17K (150€ i don't wanna go further)? Or something else

Do you have a Schiit distributer in your region? The Schiit Fulla is another good, cheap option along with the e10k.

leng jai

The HD800s really do need to be listened at a lower volume than most headphones otherwise the treble spikes become unbearable on a lot of tracks. Thankfully they're easily the best sounding pair I've ever heard since unlike other headphones they don't lose their dynamics at low volume.

Antiwhippy

Thanks for the suggestions!

Sorry to be a bother, but I just talked to my sister and she clarified that she wanted over-ear headphones and not on-ear. Doh!

Vmoda m100 if she likes the bass.

ATH MSR7 has a bit of an emphasis on the upper-midrange but and it might sound too thin for some but it's a very good headphone too.

NAD HP50 I feel is one of the best in this price range with a lovely warm tone (emphasized mids and bass with slightly rolled treble, but still with a good extension, just not as emphasized) but only if she doesn't mind looking like she has a luggage handle on her head.

Oppo PM3 has a very nicely balanced sound but I personally don't think they sound all that exciting. A lot of people like them though so YMMV. A pretty relaxed listen I guess.

The momentum 2 supposed improves on the first one but I felt that the first one's treble was waaaaay too rolled off for me to keep it. Really good headphones otherwise. The M2 might not be a bad choice if it fixes that roll-off.

Just look through reviews of them and see which one strike your fancy.

ty_hot

What is the best quality/price under 50 dollars? I need an earphone to use in the computer and phone (commute time), better if it protect from surrounding noise but I dont want any over the ear (or similar), I like small ones (in ear I guess?). Would be cool if it would be bluetooth also, but I am more interested in the sound quality and noise isolation.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Speaking of the OPPO PM-3, I got mine several days ago. Not ready to do a full review yet, but out of the box these cans sure do impress. I'm slow to form opinions on new head gear, but man the sound is superb. Cleanest sound signature I've encountered, even my NAD Viso HP50 sounds a bit colored next to it.

So far it's feeling like a clear step above the HP50 in nearly all regards. I do realize the HP50 has dropped to $249, so it's kinda like "duh", a $399 planar magnetic should be a $249 dynamic driver set. The HP50 is the 100% no-brainer "shut up and spend your money" purchase in that price bracket. It walks over nearly everything at $250, unless you take the V-MODA M-100 strictly for the basshead factor.

Is the PM-3 worth $399, though? Hell yes it is. I did a lot of reading on the planar mag tech, and its advantages really shines through in this set. The speed of response is beautiful.

Btw all of my impressions come from running both sets out of a Geek Out 1000.

I think I understand why a set that sounds so clean could be labeled as "boring", but that's the signature I look for, it's pure.

More thoughts coming later.

Tagg9

Vmoda m100 if she likes the bass.

ATH MSR7 has a bit of an emphasis on the upper-midrange but and it might sound too thin for some but it's a very good headphone too.

NAD HP50 I feel is one of the best in this price range with a lovely warm tone (emphasized mids and bass with slightly rolled treble, but still with a good extension, just not as emphasized) but only if she doesn't mind looking like she has a luggage handle on her head.

Oppo PM3 has a very nicely balanced sound but I personally don't think they sound all that exciting. A lot of people like them though so YMMV. A pretty relaxed listen I guess.

The momentum 2 supposed improves on the first one but I felt that the first one's treble was waaaaay too rolled off for me to keep it. Really good headphones otherwise. The M2 might not be a bad choice if it fixes that roll-off.

Just look through reviews of them and see which one strike your fancy.

Thanks for the suggestions! I went for the Sennheiser Momentum 2's. Reviews seem decent and the style fits what she's looking for.

Antiwhippy

Good choice really especially if looks are an important part. They look gorgeous with great build quality. As I've said, if they've fixed the treble roll-off from 1 (by all reports it seems like they did) then they should sound great for what she listens to.

leng jai

I own the PM-3s and I find them technically proficient but awfully bland. The Momentum 2 looks better in my opinion and has a more appealing sound signature outside of the audiophile community. In hindsight I regret choosing the Oppos since they just sound like gimped versions of high end cans I already own.

Young Magus

Yo!

Im looking for an amp upgrade from my Fiio e12 amp and the o2+odac looks real good and up my ally.

Is it a huge improvement over the e12+x5 combo I have now?

My headphones are the mad dogs

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, Headphone-GAF! I want to buy a new pair of cans for my cousin for Christmas since his current PC headset is basically falling apart... Here's what I'm looking for:

budget: $200, can go a bit higher if necessary
main use: PC gaming, VOIP, some music listening
genres: mostly rock, especially metal and prog-rock, and he's a drummer so I imagine he'd enjoy something with good lows/bass

It'll be driven by a Xonar Asus DG. I'd prefer if it has a detachable cable and I can grab a V-Moda Boom Mic for it. Don't care if it's open or closed - just that it has decent soundstage/positional audio.

Thanks in advance~

EDIT: Nevermind, just grabbed the Fidelio X2 since it was on sale. :p

Antiwhippy

I own the PM-3s and I find them technically proficient but awfully bland. The Momentum 2 looks better in my opinion and has a more appealing sound signature outside of the audiophile community. In hindsight I regret choosing the Oppos since they just sound like gimped versions of high end cans I already own.

I do hear that they improve significantly well with amping. Specifically the Oppo HA-2.

I dunno, I think they're alright. Not what I'm looking for though.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

Mind defining "bland" for me. I'm genuinely interested in your opinion.

Chittagong

Gold Member

Can't say I entirely disagree. I'm using them now, they are my travel headset as they seem to have the best size/sound ratio around.

They have clarity and power when used with the Oppo amp. They lack in bass and have a very small soundstage compared to my Fostex TH600s, which make them more boring.

Top Bottom