• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

warning with tinydeal: it took just over a month to get them. with usa express shipping. no tracking at all. do research on which amazon seller has the real ones. i also can't believe theres a bootleg market for 20$ 'phones...

That's odd. My Xiaomi pair came in around 2 weeks with whatever free shipping method they have as default.

Linius

The Argon HP-1 finally arrived at the store this morning. For the price (99 euros) I'm quite impressed by it. It's on the low end of things but it sounds quite alright. Build quality is so-so but it's a comfortable pair of headphones to wear. And the cable is great, sturdy long cable.

LQX

My Massdrop TH-X00 just arrived. Loving them so far.

I think my search for a good set of all around headphones with great bass has finally ended. They sound amazing. Build quality is also amazing. If you drop over $400 on headphones this is the build quality you should get. They look gorgeous with the mahogany wood and the sleeved cable is thick enough to hang yourself with. Sort of wish they were detachable though. Also, very comfortable and not tight.

Quality all around, no regrets except for the other headphones I just bought and now have to get rid of. Very impressed with this drop so might not be as hesitant of another Massdrop collaboration for something I want. Will be sitting on these and my HD598 for a good while.

Alucrid

Banned
good, cheap budget iems are my favorite thing. love my jvc ha-fx101s, just bought some xiaomi piston 3s to replace my 2s and my sony mh1cs just broke. Might grab a pair of vsonic gr02s now...unless there's any new iem of the month right now?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Received $90 in Amazon credits, so I said fuck it and bought the OPPO PM-3.

This head to head I found, comparing it to the Nad Viso HP50, pushed me over the edge.

I think my search for a good set of all around headphones with great bass has finally ended. They sound amazing. Build quality is also amazing. If you drop over $400 on headphones this is the build quality you should get. They look gorgeous with the mahogany wood and the sleeved cable is thick enough to hang yourself with. Sort of wish they were detachable though. Also, very comfortable and not tight.

Quality all around, no regrets except for the other headphones I just bought and now have to get rid of. Very impressed with this drop so might not be as hesitant of another Massdrop collaboration for something I want. Will be sitting on these and my HD598 for a good while.

How's the isolation and sound leakage? The non-detachable cable is what made me hold out for a later drop.

LQX

How's the isolation and sound leakage? The non-detachable cable is what made me hold out for a later drop.

Fro semi-closed headphones they still leak a lot, but a lot less than some of my other headphones like the HiFiMan 400i which sounds like I'm listening to speakers even at a minimal volume.

The cable is my biggest issue. They are thick(except for where they connect to the cups themselves) and premium but just like any other sleeved headphone cable I have ever had they tend to twist inside of the sleeving and it can be a hassle to get them straight again which in my experience can even cause the sleeve to stretch and rip over time. Already they are twisting on me where they connect to the cups so I sort of worry for the longevity of them which is why I will always prefer detachable cables no matter how flimsy the supplied ones are as I can then at least replace them without opening a $400 pair of headphones.

That said, I doubt Fostex will introduce detachable cables on the next drop as they seem stuck on their ways when it comes to cabling. For years now they have stuck with sleeved cables on even the most expensive of their headphones. These seem to use the same cabling as the TH‑900.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's really not that hard to solder new wires. Hell, you can solder it so that it can have detachable cables too.

HiResDes

good, cheap budget iems are my favorite thing. love my jvc ha-fx101s, just bought some xiaomi piston 3s to replace my 2s and my sony mh1cs just broke. Might grab a pair of vsonic gr02s now...unless there's any new iem of the month right now?

Zero Audio Tenore still a great deal even with the build quality issues

Mr. Hyde

I got mine last night, too. They are awesome! I was afraid they wouldn't fit my ears but they seal in perfect. I am off work today and have other work to do at the computer so I have the excuse of enjoying them for a few hours. Playing Nils Frahm's Spaces album right now and the soft build up of the synths and bass underneath the piano feels so awesome on these.

Edit: I flipped the switch on my Magni 2 Uber to High and the bass/sound went to another level. The fidelity is amazing on these. The bass is strong but doesn't overpower everything else.

Soodanim

I need to pick some new headphones to have as a Christmas present.

Budget: £150ish? I'll go over if it's worth it, and if I go way over I'll just pay for them myself.
Main use: PC gaming. Some music.
Preferred style: Closed circumaural. I nearly jumped on the HD598 Black Friday deal, but I've never had open and I don't know how much sound leaks when sound leaks. It's a shame, because they look great. I should have just gone for it. It's the same reason I didn't jump on AT M50Xs either, never had supra and not sure how comfortable they'd be for several hour stretches of time.

Is there somewhere that I can refine my search and see what's good based on reviews?

I've just seem the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm for £98.99 on Amazon (UK) and they have decent reviews, would they be a decent choice?

Edit: to give a picture I'm coming from a 10+ year old pair of Sony XD200s. The pads' outer laters are starting to come off, the headband can be uncomfortable and they're rather loose. They've served me well for a Christmas present though!

Got a question about high vs low gain. My hd650 is 300 ohm and on my magni uber, I CAN get it to good volume at about 3 o'clock on low gain. Then on high gain I get good volume at about 11 o'clock.

Does it really matter which I use? Low gain is meant for headphones much lower than 300ohm. Even on high gain, it still isn't close to some of the power high end tube amps feed into the hd650.

HiResDes

I need to pick some new headphones to have as a Christmas present.

Budget: £150ish? I'll go over if it's worth it, and if I go way over I'll just pay for them myself.
Main use: PC gaming. Some music.
Preferred style: Closed circumaural. I nearly jumped on the HD598 Black Friday deal, but I've never had open and I don't know how much sound leaks when sound leaks. It's a shame, because they look great. I should have just gone for it. It's the same reason I didn't jump on AT M50Xs either, never had supra and not sure how comfortable they'd be for several hour stretches of time.

Is there somewhere that I can refine my search and see what's good based on reviews?

I've just seem the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm for £98.99 on Amazon (UK) and they have decent reviews, would they be a decent choice?

Edit: to give a picture I'm coming from a 10+ year old pair of Sony XD200s. The pads' outer laters are starting to come off, the headband can be uncomfortable and they're rather loose. They've served me well for a Christmas present though!

The DT 770 would be quite fun for gaming, having a pretty wide soundstage and good midbass quantity and quality

I would also suggest the Yamaha HPH-MT220 if you want something a bit more linear, detailed, and analytical

Oh and the Brainwavz HM5 is still a good value if you decide you don't need too much bass, and just want something cheaper that's comfortable, balanced, and fairly wide sounding.

Got a question about high vs low gain. My hd650 is 300 ohm and on my magni uber, I CAN get it to good volume at about 3 o'clock on low gain. Then on high gain I get good volume at about 11 o'clock.

Does it really matter which I use? Low gain is meant for headphones much lower than 300ohm. Even on high gain, it still isn't close to some of the power high end tube amps feed into the hd650.

I would be using it on high gain for sure.

Soodanim

The DT 770 would be quite fun for gaming, having a pretty wide soundstage and good midbass quantity and quality

I would also suggest the Yamaha HPH-MT220 if you want something a bit more linear, detailed, and analytical

Oh and the Brainwavz HM5 is still a good value if you decide you don't need too much bass, and just want something cheaper that's comfortable, balanced, and fairly wide sounding.

Thanks. A quick Google and it showed me this: http://versus.com/en/yamaha-hph-mt220-vs-beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro, which helped but didn't get me closer to a decision.

I hate choosing technology like this, I'm so prone to buyer's remorse and I basically have to buy blind at the end of the day.
Do I want to have to buy something to drive them?
Do I get something cheap but highly rated like the Superlux HD-668 B or one of the cheaper Sennheiser models and hope that the 598s go on sale in a lightning deal again?
Do I get the HD518s instead?

Actually fuck it my family talk too loudly, I need isolation.

Edit: I'm basically logging my thoughts here, but maybe someone will feel the need to jump in. The Yamaha MT220 reviews include some that are directly compared to the DT770 and they prefer the Yamahas, so I'm leaning towards those right now.

HiResDes

Thanks. A quick Google and it showed me this: http://versus.com/en/yamaha-hph-mt220-vs-beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro, which helped but didn't get me closer to a decision.

I hate choosing technology like this, I'm so prone to buyer's remorse and I basically have to buy blind at the end of the day.
Do I want to have to buy something to drive them?
Do I get something cheap but highly rated like the Superlux HD-668 B or one of the cheaper Sennheiser models and hope that the 598s go on sale in a lightning deal again?
Do I get the HD518s instead?

Actually fuck it my family talk too loudly, I need isolation.

The HM5 would be the better cheap option IMO.

The Yamaha MT-220 vs DT 770 shouldn't be a hard decision. They're so different it's just about what you want.

The MT-220 are fairly flat headphones with accurate and fast bass, which extends fairly deep but comes in a fairly low quantity. They're slightly dark in terms of treble though, but have a pretty good midrange and a fairly average soundstage. Good detail in every facet, but a bit analytical.

The DT770 are more v-shaped and fun. They have a wider soundstage that would be better for gaming and also more mid-bass which would make them a bit more fun for gaming. Their midrange is a bit recessed to my ears, and they don't have the most detail by comparison, those are the only caveats.

Despite the difference in impedance they both benefit from a budget amp.

The Beyerdynamic DT250 would be a good middle ground between them, just figured out they're within your budget. I definitely prefer them to the DT770 for music. They're great all-arounders

After spending some time with the Hifiman HE-400i, I think I will be returning/selling them.

Compared to my HD650, they are just so similar. They both do a couple things better than the other. The 400i has better sub bass and bass detail. Separation is also a tad better. On the hd650 side, vocals are much more natural sounding and soundstage is improved. I also prefer the slightly smoother treble from the hd650.

Both fantastic headphones, but I'd rather put the money towards something else that would be a bigger change from my hd650 or maybe even an upgrade. (lcd-2, hd800)

HiResDes

After spending some time with the Hifiman HE-400i, I think I will be returning/selling them.

Compared to my HD650, they are just so similar. They both do a couple things better than the other. The 400i has better sub bass and bass detail. Separation is also a tad better. On the hd650 side, vocals are much more natural sounding and soundstage is improved. I also prefer the slightly smoother treble from the hd650.

Both fantastic headphones, but I'd rather put the money towards something else that would be a bigger change from my hd650 or maybe even an upgrade. (lcd-2, hd800)

I think you should probably look into some entry Stax my man - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043HPD0I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Indeed you may be right. I've been digging into the entry level stax thread on head-fi all morning for impressions and info. I wonder how they perform next to mid-fi and even 1k dynamic and planar flagships like the lcd2 and hd800 etc.

As good or better IMO. I don't even think the HE1000 has all that much on a standard 20X. Hell, someone sold a 20X system on HF for like... $200 the other day lol. If you could look into buying used off the Japanese market (fujiya etc.) that's the way to do it.

Zeth

Tempted to buy a second-hand X00, now damn it. Then I've also been considering a new amp with a bass-boost function. The iFi is on my list.

Getting some HM5 pads today for my SHP 9500 - it's been a pain to find any info about the process of switching them, but it seems like you need to pretty much rip the stock pads/rings off in an irreversible way :/.

besiktas1

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't think most of us would have experience with those kinds of headphones. Most here are probably more focused on more audiophile gear, which isn't usually associated with wireless, noise-cancelling nor Planatronics.

I would think that your TMA-1s would be better, though I was never too enamored with the dark sound of the TMA-1.

xero273

Wondering if headphone gaf can help me. I am looking for a subwoofer. Right now I am using audioengine a5+ speakers. I was looking at the audioengine s8, but I read some reviews that it is overpriced and you can find a better subwoofer for cheaper. This is for use with my PC. Any recommendations?

HiResDes

DedValve

Banned
Are there any good over-ear headphones thats portable (not too huge), sounds good and has the option to go both bluetooth and wired?

I've been using some old philips that is well beyond its years (like 4 years now) and leaks like crazy and also sounds super low on bluetooth mode (on top of not holding its charge like a champion like it used to).

My range is around $100 usd. I'm currently browsing Amazon but figured I'd also ask here.

If that question can't be answered then what brands should I stick to/avoid?

Bloodember

Are there any good over-ear headphones thats portable (not too huge), sounds good and has the option to go both bluetooth and wired?

I've been using some old philips that is well beyond its years (like 4 years now) and leaks like crazy and also sounds super low on bluetooth mode (on top of not holding its charge like a champion like it used to).

My range is around $100 usd. I'm currently browsing Amazon but figured I'd also ask here.

Im not sure how good they are but Creative has been making some great headphones lately. Here's a pair: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FC2R7UW/ref=psdcmw_2407776011_t3_B00IMLLAUI

Bloodember

NFC? Oh shit I never even thought of headphones using that technology. So how does that work exactly? I mean I don't care about distance as my phones gonna be in my pocket all the time.
NFC can be used to pair them. It still uses bluetooth for the connection.

Karish

I'm very interested in this too...

DedValve

Banned
Thanks for that! I think I'm currently torn between two, both from the same manufacturere

Creative Labs WP-380 ($50)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FVHCO9W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Creative Aurvana Gold Wired/Wireless Headset ($130)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FC2R7UW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I don't see much of an improvement on the $130 except for a more premium look (but its all plastic anyways) and the headset part which might be used for PS4/XB1?

That said it doesn't seem worth it atm and I think (hope) I can get decent mileage out of the $50 unless the other option has any significant improvements I didn't catch. The cheaper option doesn't emphasize noise cancellation so that may nudge me towards the $130 but that alone just doesn't feel worth double the price.

Durability would be key as I'm looking for these babies to hold out but I'll probably go for the $50 ones.

HiResDes

This might come off wrong or snobbish, but honestly the majority of audiophiles don't fuck around with active noise canceling and bluetooth wireless bullshit. Just buy whatever blutooth thing you want already and write a review because I don't think you're going to get much help here.

Bloodember

Thanks for that! I think I'm currently torn between two, both from the same manufacturere

Creative Labs WP-380 ($50)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FVHCO9W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Creative Aurvana Gold Wired/Wireless Headset ($130)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FC2R7UW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I don't see much of an improvement on the $130 except for a more premium look (but its all plastic anyways) and the headset part which might be used for PS4/XB1?

That said it doesn't seem worth it atm and I think (hope) I can get decent mileage out of the $50 unless the other option has any significant improvements I didn't catch. The cheaper option doesn't emphasize noise cancellation so that may nudge me towards the $130 but that alone just doesn't feel worth double the price.

Durability would be key as I'm looking for these babies to hold out but I'll probably go for the $50 ones.
Get whichever you like, the $130 ones use a bigger driver and have more features, if you dont see using those, then get the other ones.

Top Bottom