• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Karish

I'm looking for on-ear headphones with bluetooth, looking for comfortable ones, also isolation is a plus. Would be mainly using them with my phone, occasionally maybe for gaming. Price range would be 100-150 dollars, any good recommendations? Headphones should also be foldable. Thanks!
After trying many I got the Jabra Revos and love them.

Sergiepoo

I'm looking at putting my $100 dell gift card I got for Christmas toward a decent pair of wireless headphones. The catch is the gift card can only be used on Dell, and their selection is not great.

Can someone help me pick out any hidden gems? I'm looking for something comfortable enough for extended gaming rounds and not spending much more than my gc ($150 max). Bonus points if it comes with its own receiver since I'm currently not set-up for Bluetooth. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Senheizer RS 160.

Salaadin

I hope this is an ok thread to ask this in...
Anyone have recommendations for a good pair of sweat resistant, Bluetooth ear buds? I've been looking around and am bouncing around between these three but I'm not opposed to new suggestions:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PVRI0OK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013HSW4WI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZZO1B4A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm sick of dealing with wires when working out. I currently use sennheiser cx 680s and I love them but it's time go wireless.

Karish

Anyone have recommendations for a good pair of sweat resistant, Bluetooth ear buds? I've been looking around and am bouncing around between these three but I'm not opposed to new suggestions:

I'm sick of dealing with wires when working out. I currently use sennheiser cx 680s and I love them but it's time go wireless.

Have you thought about On-Ear vs Earbuds? IMO On-Ear is actually wireless whereas a lot of ear-buds that are BT still have annoying shit flopping around...

Salaadin

Have you thought about On-Ear vs Earbuds? IMO On-Ear is actually wireless whereas a lot of ear-buds that are BT still have annoying shit flopping around...
That's a good point. I'm actually not opposed to on-ear. As long as they're sweat proof and wireless. Those are my only two must haves.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
What are some good headphones for under $300?

I listen mostly to electronic music and video game osts if that matter.

NAD Viso HP50 @ $249 are amazing,

This might be a silly question, but since I am all new to headphones listening, I will ask anyway. I keep hearing that headphones will sound better to substantially better with a decent amp. Now I have some Sennheiser HD205's for my primary listening such as music, movies, some games, computer, TV, etc and I and running them directly though my old Denon AV receiver(like 8-10 years old I think?) and imo they sound absolutely wonderful. I also own the Sony Silver PS4 headphones for PS4 and I am directly running them through the PS4 via USB which enables the virtual surround sound and I think they sound excellent, especially considering what I paid of them. When I run the PS4 headphones through the Denon receiver or PS4 controller, they do not sound near as good though strangely enough, so I am assuming that the little adapter wit the Silver headsets serves as a special amp of some sort? Lastly, I recently got the XBox Stereo headsets as a gift for, you guess it, the XBox One and I and using them through the controller courtesy of the adapter that comes with it and again, I think they sound really good so far.

My question is, should I be running the all of the headphones/headsets directly through my Denon receiver or do I need to buy an amp to bring out the best in all 3 of my headphones. Does my Denon essentially serve as the amp? Also, why did the Sony Silver headsets sound stripped down on my Denon, yet the Sennheiser's shine? Not quite sure about the XBox headsets yet.

Honestly, these headphones/headsets will be used primarily for gaming and then movie watching/music. Thanks in advance. So far, I am happy with the sound from all 3 of them and they each have their own sound which kind of makes each experience a little unique on different devices.

None of your headphones will benefit from an amp.

This might be a silly question, but since I am all new to headphones listening, I will ask anyway. I keep hearing that headphones will sound better to substantially better with a decent amp. Now I have some Sennheiser HD205's for my primary listening such as music, movies, some games, computer, TV, etc and I and running them directly though my old Denon AV receiver(like 8-10 years old I think?) and imo they sound absolutely wonderful. I also own the Sony Silver PS4 headphones for PS4 and I am directly running them through the PS4 via USB which enables the virtual surround sound and I think they sound excellent, especially considering what I paid of them. When I run the PS4 headphones through the Denon receiver or PS4 controller, they do not sound near as good though strangely enough, so I am assuming that the little adapter wit the Silver headsets serves as a special amp of some sort? Lastly, I recently got the XBox Stereo headsets as a gift for, you guess it, the XBox One and I and using them through the controller courtesy of the adapter that comes with it and again, I think they sound really good so far.

My question is, should I be running the all of the headphones/headsets directly through my Denon receiver or do I need to buy an amp to bring out the best in all 3 of my headphones. Does my Denon essentially serve as the amp? Also, why did the Sony Silver headsets sound stripped down on my Denon, yet the Sennheiser's shine? Not quite sure about the XBox headsets yet.

Honestly, these headphones/headsets will be used primarily for gaming and then movie watching/music. Thanks in advance. So far, I am happy with the sound from all 3 of them and they each have their own sound which kind of makes each experience a little unique on different devices.

None of your headphones will benefit from an amp.

K.Jack is right. The HD205 have an impedance of 32 ohm, The impedance of the Sony Silvers aren't listed anywhere I looked, same with the Xbox headset. The latter two can be powered by plugging them into their respective controllers, so they are probably 32 ohm as well.

Headphone amps are used with high impedance headphones, usually 100 ohm and higher. The Sennheisers sounded better because they are better headphones compared to the other two, most headsets aimed at video game fans are usually not that great in quality. The Sony Silver headset also has an audio profile app with the PS4, which probably can only be used when plugged into the DS4 (I think) or PS4 via USB. They also have the 7.1 virtual surround sound, which aren't that great when compared to normal stereo audio from a decent pair of headphones.

K.Jack

Hifiman's end of year sale is the same exact one as the Black Friday one, HE-560 for $699, HE-400i for $299.

Disappointing but it's another opportunity to get them if you missed the last salae.

mr stroke

I'm looking for on-ear headphones with bluetooth, looking for comfortable ones, also isolation is a plus. Would be mainly using them with my phone, occasionally maybe for gaming. Price range would be 100-150 dollars, any good recommendations? Headphones should also be foldable. Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/Phiaton-MS-530...n+chord+ms+530

Phiaton Chord 530

W7Bp5Cq.jpg

I got a pair for xmas and they are really good, best Bluetooth cans out at the moment IMO . (Maybe tied with the much more expensive Def Tech Symphony 1's :p )

mr stroke

I been auditioning a ton of Bluetooth stuff and surprisingly for earbuds these are the best Ive found

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WUDX250/?tag=neogaf0e-20

$30 and sound fantastic. Good battery life and perfect for running/gym, I prefer them to the Jaybirds or Power Beats for gym use

Ultimadrago

Enjoy! Post a pic of the setup, would love to see it.

Bah, my setup isn't anything worth showing, but I suppose I can take some phone pics. lol.

Currently running: Fidelio X2's (an upgrade from my old X1's), V-Moda Boompro cable for everything including Skype/multiplayer voiceover and Fiio E17K DAC/Amp (an upgrade from Fiio E10 DAC/Amp).

Rig (in need of upgrade soon): MSI GT70 2OD, 780M GPU with OEM soundcard. Xbox Elite Wireless Controller (wired up) for gaming.

K.Jack is right. The HD205 have an impedance of 32 ohm, The impedance of the Sony Silvers aren't listed anywhere I looked, same with the Xbox headset. The latter two can be powered by plugging them into their respective controllers, so they are probably 32 ohm as well.

Headphone amps are used with high impedance headphones, usually 100 ohm and higher. The Sennheisers sounded better because they are better headphones compared to the other two, most headsets aimed at video game fans are usually not that great in quality. The Sony Silver headset also has an audio profile app with the PS4, which probably can only be used when plugged into the DS4 (I think) or PS4 via USB. They also have the 7.1 virtual surround sound, which aren't that great when compared to normal stereo audio from a decent pair of headphones.

Ok, I see. Thanks.

If you can have open headphones snag the used HE-400 that are on Amazon right now for $230.

If you need closed headphones check out the ADL H118.

Those are for used from a "new seller" with no feedback. You had me excited as I've been wanting to try out the original 400!

Hifiman's end of year sale is the same exact one as the Black Friday one, HE-560 for $699, HE-400i for $299.

Disappointing but it's another opportunity to get them if you missed the last salae.

I don't think they could really sell these any cheaper than they are already, that's 40% off for the 400i. How is it disappointing?

Karish

Xiaomi Hybrids arrived. Amazing. Shocking for the price. I have no good IEMs to compare to but these sound almost as good as my UE6000s

So my old $20 earbuds broke, and since I just got a $100 Amazon Gift Card, I'm thinking about getting another pair, but I'm not sure if I can get something of good build quality for less than $50.

Any suggestions? I'm not against using IEMs (in fact my last pair might've been IEMs, I'm not sure.)

Karish

So my old $20 earbuds broke, and since I just got a $100 Amazon Gift Card, I'm thinking about getting another pair, but I'm not sure if I can get something of good build quality for less than $50.

Any suggestions? I'm not against using IEMs (in fact my last pair might've been IEMs, I'm not sure.)

Literally read the post above :) not on Amazon but do it!!!

DagsJT

My workmate is lending me a pair of HD650's tomorrow, I'm eager to compare them to the Fidelio X2's I've got.

Running a Creative SoundBlasterX G5 which are able to power headphones up to 600ohm's apparently so I should be able to run the 650's well enough hopefully.

FoxSpirit

Well, my sister is pretty happy with the Brainwavz M1 I got her. A slightly warm tone but otherwise very clear and spacious, bass is also good. The soundstage actually surprised me. No harshness, nothing feels like it's sticking out. Only got to listen to them from her phone but for the price they are really great.
"My phone went from something that would play back music to a music instrument"
Money well spent I'd say. :)

data

Not sure if I should post this here, but, if there's any of you with a HyperX Cloud 2 and you use the included soundcard, if you look on tom'sguide forums there's a link to a new firmware update which fixes a crackling issue.

DagsJT

Just been trying a pair of HD 650'S on during my lunch and my mind is blown with how comfortable they are compared to my Fidelio X2's.

Driving them from my Galaxy S6, I was surprised at how loud I managed to get them and the quality even sounded good. I didn't want to stop listening to different tracks so that's a good sign.

Can't wait to try them on the Mixamp and G5 now.

I think it's that the 650's are a lot lighter and less of a clamp, although my X2's are still fairly new so maybe haven't loosened fully.

Sennheisers are notorious for their clamp when they are brand new.

The X2 is fairly easy to loosen up so they don't clamp as hard. Stretch out the leather headband that the rods run through.

Kaname

I need some help guys, I want to buy some headphones for my father.
He's going to use them casually at home while listening to music from his pc or watching some movie so I don't need anything particurarly fancy or overkill.
Budget is around 40-50€, over-ear or around-ear is fine, no preference.

edit: almost forgot, I need to clean my Fidelio X1 cups since I haven't used them for a long time and now they're all dusty and gready :/ Anyone has any idea what's the best way to do it without ruining them? I'm not sure if I can remove the cushions and clean them and then put them back. :p

HiResDes

I need some help guys, I want to buy some headphones for my father.
He's going to use them casually at home while listening to music from his pc or watching some movie so I don't need anything particurarly fancy or overkill.
Budget is around 40-50€, over-ear or around-ear is fine, no preference.

edit: almost forgot, I need to clean my Fidelio X1 cups since I haven't used them for a long time and now they're all dusty and gready :/ Anyone has any idea what's the best way to do it without ruining them? I'm not sure if I can remove the cushions and clean them and then put them back. :p

Closed headphones?

So, what is the best pick among recent mid-priced DAPs?

I think I want to upgrade from my Fiio X1 and I'm evaluating AK Jr, iBasso Dx80, and Cayin N5 (which I find aesthetically awesome, btw!!!). I don't mind size at all, since I will use it at home on bed when I just want to relax. Headphones will be Grado sr80e, Akg K550, K121, Sony mdr-7506. I currently power them with the Fiio e11k and I'd ideally want a DAP with comparable power without need of external amp. (For instance, I find unamped X1 quite underpowered, especially for K550)

Blitzhex

Plus 5 bucks shipping. They're $65 at Amazon, with Prime shipping.

Is 10 bucks worth waiting a month+?

Well, usually massdrop is the best way to get stuff for people not living in the US, but I just checked up shenzenaudio (same seller on amazon) which have them for $57 and free worldwide shipping, so that might be better for me living in Asia.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Well, usually massdrop is the best way to get stuff for people not living in the US, but I just checked up shenzenaudio (same seller on amazon) which have them for $57 and free worldwide shipping, so that might be better for me living in Asia.

Touché.

K.Jack

Any idea if these will survive if I use them solely at the gym? I heard the build quality isn't so good.

Mine literally live in my bag, thrown in and out with no regard for their safety. I haven't had a single issue with my KC06 or KC06A.

I certainly trust their sturdiness over that of the Tenore. The cable feels way more rugged.

Plus 5 bucks shipping. They're $65 at Amazon, with Prime shipping.

Is 10 bucks worth waiting a month+?

If one isn't in a rush to get some IEMs, sure I'd save the $10. That a large order of sesame chicken down the street.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Massdrop is only really worth it if they can get deeper discounts than other places (not always the case) or for massdrop exclusive stuff just because the waiting process is like pulling teeth.

Fun place to window shop though.

HiResDes

Agreed on both points. Sadly, there are very few IEMs in the sub $100 range that I'd call "bulletproof" or extremely durable, but the strain reliefs and cable look pretty damn decent on the KC06 series in comparison to many others in its class. I'm sure you could break it, but it should last you for a while. One thing I've seen people do that I think contributes to cables going south quickly is yanking an earphone out of their ears by the cable. If you can, try and grab it by the actual ear piece and dislodge it that way. I also don't think it's a bad idea to eventually accumulate a couple of IEMs. I think one of the reasons I haven't managed to break more IEMs is because I usually have a few that I circulate through at a time.

Top Bottom