• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

ShowDog

Just picked up some Sennheiser HD558 from Newegg Flash for $80. I've never owned a decent pair of headphones so I'm looking forward to trying them out. They're actually for my wife because I bought her a cheap pair of Beyerdynamics that disintegrated as she lifted them from the box on Christmas morning. It was definitely not a good look...

HiResDes

Just picked up some Sennheiser HD558 from Newegg Flash for $80. I've never owned a decent pair of headphones so I'm looking forward to trying them out. They're actually for my wife because I bought her a cheap pair of Beyerdynamics that disintegrated as she lifted them from the box on Christmas morning. It was definitely not a good look...
What really? Which ones

Karish

I have to be honest, with my big ears the V-Moda Crossfade M-100 and me have to part ways. Even with the XL pads. If someone wants them before I go to EBay/Craigslist PM me. Think I'm gonna go open-back from here on out for gaming.

After putting around 50 hours into my 400i, I have to say that my earlier impressions were very wrong.

I do not believe in burn in, though I certainly believe it takes a while for someone to get accustomed to a new sound (brain burn in).

400i puts my hd650 to shame in every way except vocals. The 400i has a really good, neutral midrange, but the 650 is just a little bit better.

Bass detail and impact. Treble and Bass extension. Imaging and separation. All are better on my 400i.

All this IMO, obviously. The hd650 is still a fantastic headphone and performs better with certain music genres over the 400i. My personal music collection fairs better with the 400i. Particularly with metal.

I'm now seriously considering selling my "like new" hd650 in the head-fi classifieds to fund a pair of Alpha Dogs.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hmm, according to guy on reddit, his impressions of the kse1500 is that it is like a better ocharaku kaede 2, but the kaede 2 is not too far off. Interest slightly diminished, seeing that apparently the flat-4 nami I have isn't that far off from the kaede from what I've read.

DagsJT

Any better DAC than the Modi 2 Uber for the same price point? Will be paired with a Schiit Vali and would like USB and optical input.

Tommy DJ

I think people need to be careful describing "peaks" vs. "extension". The treble of the 400i don't really extend any further than the HD650s relative to the bass and midrange. The difference is the 400i has a huge treble peak at around 10khz, which isn't really extension as its a huge freaking peak.

My problem with the HD650 has always been the wooly bass, which is why I've always preferred the HD600 as the boosted midrange and treble in comparison to the HD650 helps make the bass issues not so prominent.

Hmm, according to guy on reddit, his impressions of the kse1500 is that it is like a better ocharaku kaede 2, but the kaede 2 is not too far off. Interest slightly diminished, seeing that apparently the flat-4 nami I have isn't that far off from the kaede from what I've read.

Probably audionewbi. He's the only guy I know who holds the Kaede 2 to that standard. My interest level in the 1500 is at like zero percent. The second someone said it sounded slightly shy of Layla's bass with dials maxed I iust went wtf. That aside, any time someone says that X is massively more detailed than TOTL transducer Y is a red flag. More than likely this is due to exaggerated upper midrange/treble. The groupthink that's cropped on HF in the last few years is awful. I hardly ever post there anymore simply cause people will defend anything and everything. Way too much purchase justification and circle jerking over dumb shit like burn in, cables and file formats. There are people in the 1500 thread that will extol it's supposed values without ever having even heard them just cause Jude says "they are the bestest thing ever." It's mindboggling.

Antiwhippy

Yeah, the dude on reddit said that the flat-4 are his benchmark for analytical and accuracy and I was like "wut". I'll give him analytical, but not accuracy.

Don't get me wrong, I still like my flat-4s, but accurate they are not.

Still really want to give the kse1500 a listen though. Might just drop in for a demo.

Tommy DJ

Head-Fi has a pretty weak batting average as far as accurately describing sound goes. In recent times is there a single headphone that they haven't overhyped to the point that you're confused at user impressions/Jude's impressions?

It might sound like that I shit on headphones a lot of the time but I've always found that reviews that focus on the negative aspects to be far more enlightening than those that talk about how amazing the detail, soundstage, etc are.

Antiwhippy

As I've said though, headphone reviews are hard to parse through, because sound is honestly hard to describe without a reference.

Also shares the same problem with most consumer reviews, in that the only things people want to review are things they really love (or are paid to love...) or things that they really hate.

Which is why my next purchase will probably be a neutral reference just so I can have something that I can hold as a standard, though my taste still lean to pretty coloured sound signatures. Kind of thinking about a UERR though that won't be for awhile.

Mercutio

Head-Fi has a pretty weak batting average as far as accurately describing sound goes. In recent times is there a single headphone that they haven't overhyped to the point that you're confused at user impressions/Jude's impressions?

It might sound like that I shit on headphones a lot of the time but I've always found that reviews that focus on the negative aspects to be far more enlightening than those that talk about how amazing the detail, soundstage, etc are.

I used to be a pretty major contributor at Head-Fi, but eventually discovered that sound was an incredibly personal thing... even beyond the difficulty of describing sound. My personal favorite headphones (the W5000) are much maligned because they don't fit a lot of people, or just have a signature they don't like. For me? They're ideal. I wear my pair 7 hours or more per day, 5 days a week. Had I not tried them for myself, I wouldn't have known.

DagsJT

The problem is not many websites are as active and have so much input as Head Fi so it's still a main, if not the main, site for reviews and impressions.

This thread has been very helpful top but it doesn't have the quantity of posts or the ease of looking through individual threads etc.

Reddit has been useful too but not sure on other forums worth visiting.

Not really but I like loudspeakers better than headphones so I can probably give you some advice. You can also try the vinyl thread in this subforum as they're pretty much 100% stereo there's bound to be a few people there that can help you.

Sorry didn't see that you responded. Apologies for being off-topic but wasn't sure where else to post. I have Klipsch HT500 speakers and subwoofer [1].

I've had a Onkyo HT-RC360 receiver for a looong time and never had any issues. Everything sounded great. However it recently shorted out and stopped working. I replaced it with a Denon AVR-S510BT [3]

Ever since then I haven't been able to get any decent mid range out of my setup. It has lots of treble and lots of bass, but hardly any midrange. I used the microphone to try and auto adjust it and it did not help.

I have the front, center, and surround speakers set to "small". Front, center and surround crossovers set to 150 hz (?), subwoofer mode set to LFE, and LPF for LFE set to 80hz.

If anyone has any input on what I should adjust, or if I just need to buy a receiver with more watts RMS, or any input, I'd really appreciate it.

Edit: One thing that is different from my previous setup is that I didn't hook up audio via optical, I just used HDMI. That shouldn't affect anything right?

[1] http://www.klipsch.com/products/high-definition-theater-500-home-theater-system.
[2] http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UR487U/?tag=neogaf0e-20
[3] http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YAO43YG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Bloodember

Sorry didn't see that you responded. Apologies for being off-topic but wasn't sure where else to post. I have Klipsch HT500 speakers and subwoofer [1].

I've had a Onkyo HT-RC360 receiver for a looong time and never had any issues. Everything sounded great. However it recently shorted out and stopped working. I replaced it with a Denon AVR-S510BT [3]

Ever since then I haven't been able to get any decent mid range out of my setup. It has lots of treble and lots of bass, but hardly any midrange. I used the microphone to try and auto adjust it and it did not help.

I have the front, center, and surround speakers set to "small". Front, center and surround crossovers set to 150 hz (?), subwoofer mode set to LFE, and LPF for LFE set to 80hz.

If anyone has any input on what I should adjust, or if I just need to buy a receiver with more watts RMS, or any input, I'd really appreciate it.

Edit: One thing that is different from my previous setup is that I didn't hook up audio via optical, I just used HDMI. That shouldn't affect anything right?

[1] http://www.klipsch.com/products/high-definition-theater-500-home-theater-system.
[2] http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UR487U/?tag=neogaf0e-20
[3] http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YAO43YG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

No, your fine. Audio over HDMI is just as good as optical and may be better, since HDMI is the only way to get 7.1.

No, your fine. Audio over HDMI is just as good as optical and may be better, since HDMI is the only way to get 7.1.

I reran the auto tune that the receiver provides, and it changed my crossovers to 80hz for everything, but it still seems to be missing that mid range punch. I called Denon and they said everything is configured correctly. My speakers recommend 100 watts RMS, and this receiver apparently only does 75. Would that be significant enough for a layperson to notice?

The tech recommended this receiver: http://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/avreceiversht/avrx1200w

Edit: the specs say 80 watts for that receiver, not sure why they recommended it.

Final edit: I bought a Onkyo TX-NR636 to replace it.

Bloodember

I reran the auto tune that the receiver provides, and it changed my crossovers to 80hz for everything, but it still seems to be missing that mid range punch. I called Denon and they said everything is configured correctly. My speakers recommend 100 watts RMS, and this receiver apparently only does 75. Would that be significant enough for a layperson to notice?

The tech recommended this receiver: http://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/avreceiversht/avrx1200w

Edit: the specs say 80 watts for that receiver, not sure why they recommended it.

Final edit: I bought a Onkyo TX-NR636 to replace it.

Yes, that can be an issue, your sound could distort at high volume. Good choice in the Onkyo, great receivers. Denon are great also, though.

Tommy DJ

@brokenwatch

How you set your speakers and subwoofer depends on how good their bass extension are. In most cases you want to:
- Set main speakers to "small" and set the crossover frequency to 80hz. This will pass sub-80hz duties to the subwoofer, meaning your main speakers will see less bass distortion as the woofers aren't straining to play content that they have no right playing.
- Hook your subwoofer to the LFE port and set LPF to 80hz or 120hz depending on preference. Also turn the crossover knob on the back of your subwoofer as high as it will go.

That's basically the basics of it. Now, the problem you're having right now is probably related to your room. A common problem with loudspeakers is that the room plays a huge part in whether or not they sound good. A common problem is that you often end up with huge voids especially in the bass region. This can make your speakers sound quite "thin".

Now you'd think EQ would solve this problem but it only deals with part of the problem. EQing doesn't just impact the frequency domain but also the time domain. That can result in out of phase issues where certain frequencies become inaudible.

I dunno about the auto-setup solution from your Denon AVR-S510BT but I reckon its nothing more than a basic EQ solution as their higher end models opt for Audyssey's room correction solution. Your old Onkyo had Audyssey's room correction solution, which will attempt to manipulate both frequency and time domains, which should provide a much better result than simple EQing. Its possible that your Onkyo just did a hell of a better job with regards to room correction than your Denon. I do not think power is the reason for your audio woes, at least how you've described it.

EQing and subwoofer integration gets way more complicated than this but that's basically the gist of it.

LQX

After putting around 50 hours into my 400i, I have to say that my earlier impressions were very wrong.

I do not believe in burn in, though I certainly believe it takes a while for someone to get accustomed to a new sound (brain burn in).

400i puts my hd650 to shame in every way except vocals. The 400i has a really good, neutral midrange, but the 650 is just a little bit better.

Bass detail and impact. Treble and Bass extension. Imaging and separation. All are better on my 400i.

All this IMO, obviously. The hd650 is still a fantastic headphone and performs better with certain music genres over the 400i. My personal music collection fairs better with the 400i. Particularly with metal.

I'm now seriously considering selling my "like new" hd650 in the head-fi classifieds to fund a pair of Alpha Dogs.
Yeah, I love the 400i. I prefer them over everything I heard except my TH-X00.

Antiwhippy

The LCD headphones are nice but they are so heavy that I would never want to own them.

Also people rave about the bass being the best on them but my harmony is about the same quality other than the inherent differences in presentation between an iem and headphone. Which is nice for me I guess.

NAD Viso HP50 @ $249 are amazing,

None of your headphones will benefit from an amp.

If you can have open headphones snag the used HE-400 that are on Amazon right now for $230.

If you need closed headphones check out the ADL H118.

Hey yet again. Sorry for the late reply as I kinda forgot about this topic.

The HE-400 doesn't seems available anywhere. How the HP50 compare with:

DT880/DT990
HD598
AKG K702

JHJM

Neo Member
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice on a new pair of closed headphones, hope you can help.

Budget is around €80 to €100 and I'll be using them for both gaming and music. After some research, possible candidates are M40x, HD417, HD280pro, MDR7506. What do you think? Other recommendations would be welcome of course.

Linius

Had a guy in the store today who came in for Beats. Which we don't sell for obvious reasons. So I suggested him Aiaiai with the Young Guru pre-set. But I guess he just needed that bling Beats can give him
jBX8nGI.png

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Hey yet again. Sorry for the late reply as I kinda forgot about this topic.

The HE-400 doesn't seems available anywhere. How the HP50 compare with:

DT880/DT990
HD598
AKG K702

Well the HP50 is a closed headphone, so it doesn't compare at all.

Think I'm gonna get me the NAD Viso HP20 tomorrow. Listened to them extensively today, really great IEM's.

How is thee bass?

Karish

My brother gave me his DT770 80 Ohms for $60 because the bass was rattling. He got a new pair. I looked online and found this is common and likely caused by hair in the driver. I opened them all the way up, found a hair, removed with tweezers, and they sound perfect. I'm thrilled.

The LCD headphones are nice but they are so heavy that I would never want to own them.

Also people rave about the bass being the best on them but my harmony is about the same quality other than the inherent differences in presentation between an iem and headphone. Which is nice for me I guess.

Yeah, I'd never buy any LCD phones purely based on their dire comfort level.

If it ends up being a problem with me I'll just install a comfort strap like the newer hifimans have.

LQX

My brother gave me his DT770 80 Ohms for $60 because the bass was rattling. He got a new pair. I looked online and found this is common and likely caused by hair in the driver. I opened them all the way up, found a hair, removed with tweezers, and they sound perfect. I'm thrilled.

Ha, did you tell your brother?

Antiwhippy

If it ends up being a problem with me I'll just install a comfort strap like the newer hifimans have.

It's not really the band that's the problem, it's just the sheer weight of it.

Maybe you'll find it better with better weight distribution though. I dunno.

Linius

Decided on buying the NAD HP20's. Really love their sound, think I'm gonna enjoy this for a good while. Might get the HP50 alongside them at some point later this year for home use mostly.

And I can retire my AKG Q460 now. They were already falling apart slowly after a good four years of use.

With a budget of 150.00, I'm looking to buy my first pair of "open" cans. I was hoping to get the Senns 598 for the 100 deal but lost patience. Can someone recommend a good pair of starter open cans for 150 or less? Should I go with the 598's?

HiResDes

With a budget of 150.00, I'm looking to buy my first pair of "open" cans. I was hoping to get the Senns 598 for the 100 deal but lost patience. Can someone recommend a good pair of starter open cans for 150 or less? Should I go with the 598's?
Yeah either those or the AKG K612Pro

Antiwhippy

Anyone here interested in the Onkyo DP-X1?

Seems like one of the audio stores here are going to be officially distributing it from onkyo. No timeframe yet, but I'm kind of interested in it as a standalone android dap. Would be interested for a look once it gets here.

Guys, I went to Best Buy and I saw the Sony MDRXB950BT/B Extra Bass Bluetooth Headset and they looked beautiful. I went to try them on and it felt great. How does it hold up compared to other Headsets at its price range. I honestly feel like paying for them because they felt and looked good. But obviously the sound quality is what truly matters.

If it's not good, I'll go for Sure SE215-J In-ear monitors since I prefer iem for travel. But damn the Sony MDR is sexy. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Karish

Guys, I went to Best Buy and I saw the Sony MDRXB950BT/B Extra Bass Bluetooth Headset and they looked beautiful. I went to try them on and it felt great. How does it hold up compared to other Headsets at its price range. I honestly feel like paying for them because they felt and looked good. But obviously the sound quality is what truly matters.

If it's not good, I'll go for Sure SE215-J In-ear monitors since I prefer iem for travel. But damn the Sony MDR is sexy. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Where were you a few weeks ago when I was trying to sell mine! They're quite comfy, heavy though. I ultimately wanted on-ears vs over-ears because I have big ears and the 950BT were still touching my lobes even though they're "over"

Where were you a few weeks ago when I was trying to sell mine! They're quite comfy, heavy though. I ultimately wanted on-ears vs over-ears because I have big ears and the 950BT were still touching my lobes even though they're "over"
Fuck. How much did you sell them for? And how was the sound quality? Best Buy has it for $200 but I'm wondering if I can get it for a much lower price.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Fuck. How much did you sell them for? And how was the sound quality? Best Buy has it for $200 but I'm wondering if I can get it for a much lower price.

You aren't going to like what I'm about to say, but Amazon had them on sale at one point for $98.

Top Bottom