• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Neither the Soundstage nor bass is that great on the 400i or 400S,the original 400 is the model with absurd sub bass depth and great quality.

The soundstage on the newer 400i is pretty decent and the bass goes low and is very nice, just not emphasized.

Big bass would be better for the original 400, X2 or thx00.

HiResDes

In comparison to other open headphones the 400S at least sounded quite narrow. Like I think the Soundstage on the X2 gets exaggerated a bit, but it definitely sounded quite a bit more expansive than the 400S.

Blitzhex

Th-x00 with alpha pads outta stock tube vali 2 is such a great combo. I've stopped using my k7xx completely. Well, I'm also too lazy to swap to the k7xx whenever i'm starting a game.
The alpha pads are definitely much better than the stock pads imo. Bigger soundstage and openish sound (deep pads), way more comfort, space for any size of ear and tames the mid bass bloat.
Listening to SRV, Santana, Eric Clapton, BB King with these is just amazing. It sounds like I'm in a smoky jazz lounge with the legends playing up front.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I have about 100€ to spend on a new pair of headphones, and I'm asking all of you audio gurus for help.

I'm going to be using them inside, so it's ok if they're not silent from the outside. And they're going to be hooked to a Denon amplifier if that matters.

I searched amazon.it for awhile, and well I guess this is not going to surprise anyone, I found the Sennheiser HD518 for 90€ and I read some reviews and they seem to be great.

Since I've had AKG for the last five years (K518, they're great but they are literally falling apart) I also saw the AKG K 271 MKII, which is just 25€ more. Worth it?

I'm open to any other suggestion, of course!

Raiden

Banned
I bought the Sennheiser HD598 on a quick sale without really knowing anything about them except that you good people seem to think its a pretty good piece. I plan to use it primarly for gaming and music. Should be delivered tomorrow!

Also these are my first headsets since i was 17 and im 28 now, cant wait!

Th-x00 with alpha pads outta stock tube vali 2 is such a great combo. I've stopped using my k7xx completely.
That's the same amp I'll be using with my TH-X00s, so good to hear. I'll have to look into the alpha pads as well, although I haven't seen many complaints about the stock ones.

NotSelf

I have the Alpha pads on my mk2 they can get very hot depending on the clamping force.

The SHP9500 are the most comfortable headphones i've ever owned not the best sound but hey everything has it's pros and cons.

wcytrMt.jpg

I have about 100€ to spend on a new pair of headphones, and I'm asking all of you audio gurus for help.

I'm going to be using them inside, so it's ok if they're not silent from the outside. And they're going to be hooked to a Denon amplifier if that matters.

I searched amazon.it for awhile, and well I guess this is not going to surprise anyone, I found the Sennheiser HD518 for 90€ and I read some reviews and they seem to be great.

Since I've had AKG for the last five years (K518, they're great but they are literally falling apart) I also saw the AKG K 271 MKII, which is just 25€ more. Worth it?

I don't think you can go wrong either way. Both are fantastic sounding. I personally liked the K271 more, but they have more limited appeal. They're basically the polar opposite of the K518: bass is somewhat light, and the whole spectrum leans more toward the brighter side. They aren't harsh, at least to my ears they aren't, but they certainly have a more airy sound. Mids are VERY nice on them.

The HD518 has a generally more balanced sound. A bit more bass, mids aren't quite as nice but still very good, and soundstage is bigger on account of them being open.

HiResDes

I'd consider the Brainwavz HM5 is looking for a more neutral sound or the Beats Solo 2 if you're looking for something warmer

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I don't think you can go wrong either way. Both are fantastic sounding. I personally liked the K271 more, but they have more limited appeal. They're basically the polar opposite of the K518: bass is somewhat light, and the whole spectrum leans more toward the brighter side. They aren't harsh, at least to my ears they aren't, but they certainly have a more airy sound. Mids are VERY nice on them.

The HD518 has a generally more balanced sound. A bit more bass, mids aren't quite as nice but still very good, and soundstage is bigger on account of them being open.

Thank you! I'll probably save some money and go for the HD518, bacause I'm probably not even going to notice the difference.
Also they look a bit more comfy. :p

I'd consider the Brainwavz HM5 is looking for a more neutral sound or the Beats Solo 2 if you're looking for something warmer

Both way overbudget. :p They're both 140€ here, and the HD598s are 150€, at that point I might as well buy those, ahah. But thank you!

HiResDes

Thank you! I'll probably save some money and go for the HD518, bacause I'm probably not even going to notice the difference.
Also they look a bit more comfy. :p

Both way overbudget. :p They're both 140€ here, and the HD598s are 150€, at that point I might as well buy those, ahah. But thank you!

what they're 65 Euros and 105 Euros on Amazon.co.uk

Where do you live with such ridiculous prices?

I'm so sad I lost my Rockets during a vacation a while back and now my Tenores have finally crapped out (was surprised they lasted as long as they did with my gym routines). In the meantime the Pistons have been holding up quite well and I'll wait for these to crap out before spending some coin on new IEMs.

Chittagong

Gold Member
So guys, big, tough question. For my next apartment, I will get a premium Schiit stack - Mjolnir amp and Gungnir DAC. I think SolarMystic called it an 'endgame setup'. That is certainly the intention. So the question is, what headset will be the endgame headset for the setup - Sennheiser Orpheus aside (next flat then...).

Here's what I own currently:

Fostex TH-600. My first proper headset, recommended by GAF. Absolutely love it. Phenomenal soundstage, analytical, fat bass.

Oppo PM-3. My travel headset. Works well in airplanes, good isolation, but the soundstage is pretty underwhelming, and the sound is 'just ok' - clear, precise, that's about it.

AKG K712. My gaming headset, recommended by GAF. Insane soundstage, very directional, so great for gaming but might be a bit too airy for music.

Probably all these are a bit too mid-end for the setup.

I've also auditioned LCD-3s in New York, just out of interest. Back then I liked their warmth, but felt then that thy are a bit close and in my face. That was afer several weeks of the Fostex soundstage though, so that might have clouded my opinion somewhat.

leng jai

So guys, big, tough question. For my next apartment, I will get a premium Schiit stack - Mjolnir amp and Gungnir DAC. I think SolarMystic called it an 'endgame setup'. That is certainly the intention. So the question is, what headset will be the endgame headset for the setup - Sennheiser Orpheus aside (next flat then...).

Fostex TH-600. My first proper headset, recommended by GAF. Absolutely love it. Phenomenal soundstage, analytical, fat bass.

Oppo PM-3. My travel headset. Works well in airplanes, good isolation, but the soundstage is pretty underwhelming, and the sound is 'just ok' - clear, precise, that's about it.

AKG K712. My gaming headset, recommended by GAF. Insane soundstage, very directional, so great for gaming but might be a bit too airy for music.

I've also auditioned LCD-3s in New York, just out of interest. Back then I liked their warmth, but felt then that thy are a bit close and in my face. That was afer several weeks of the Fostex soundstage though, so that might have clouded my opinion somewhat.

HD800.

Hd800 (superdupont mod if you want an 800s sound)
Ether

That's about the only two I've tried that really impressed me. LCD-X was disappointing and uncomfortable. Lcd-3 also uncomfortable and apparently not much better than LCD-2 and X. Beyers high end has qc issues and typical wonky frequency responses.

Most everything else is massively overpriced (he-X, he-k, abyss, etc)

my6765490

Something one doesn't see very often - Koss ESP 950s (thanks craigslist!)

wYkZkh0.jpg

Bought these for less than $300 over the weekend and they are certainly a nice compliment to the TH-X00s, very non-fatiguing and resolving at the same time, great soundstage as well!

..And I still have a Talos (T50rp mod) coming, I am diving face first into mid-fi purgatory...

^ Nice find!

I am facing a dilemma guys. To move up to endgame or not.

Right now I own the HD650 and Beyer DT150. I just got my ZMF Vibros. (have an assortment of cheaper stuff too, but these are my main drivers)

I have two options:

1) Keep my Vibro, eventually add an EMU-Teak (Fostex variant) and Beyer DT880.

2) Sell my Vibro, eventually buy an HD800...and that's it, I'm done for a long time.

I'm torn, because I would have my endgame setup with the HD800, but miss out on other headphones. No Vibro (really enjoying these btw, sound impressions coming soon), nothing else. Would probably end up selling either my HD650 or DT150 as I suspect it will be hard going back down after going up.

What do you guys think?

Sell em and get some Stax man.

That wasn't one of my options!

On a serious note. They are not the easiest systems to come by as importing is a must unless I want to spend ridiculous amounts at StaxUSA.

What option would you even suggest? The SRS 2170 system isn't enough for me. Especially that amp it comes with. Plus we have the new SR-L500 out now but prices are still really high as they are so new still.

HiResDes

The entry level is supposed to compete well against other summit fi stuff and going higher within the Stax brand apparently shows very drastic diminishing returns.

The entry level is supposed to compete well against other summit fi stuff and going higher within the Stax brand apparently shows very drastic diminishing returns.

Is it the same for their amps? The srs 2170 system can be had for just under $500 now with the new sr3100 system replacing it as their entry level system.

Still something I'm not sure I want to gamble on though. I've never heard anything from Stax besides a $5k+ system driving a mk1 007.

What do you think about the 2 options I listed?

HiResDes

Is it the same for their amps? The srs 2170 system can be had for just under $500 now with the new sr3100 system replacing it as their entry level system.

Still something I'm not sure I want to gamble on though. I've never heard anything from Stax besides a $5k+ system driving a mk1 007.

What do you think about the 2 options I listed?
That's something for Dynamite or others to answer. I've really gone fully into the world of loudspeakers and that's what I'm now sinking all of my spare money into

That's something for Dynamite or others to answer. I've really gone fully into the world of loudspeakers and that's what I'm now sinking all of my spare money into

Thanks for your input. I'm actually now looking at the Koss esp950. Compares favorably against the Stax SRS 2170 system and if I wait for another Koss sale, could potentially grab them for $600 straight from Koss with lifetime warranty, which is a huge plus versus importing a Stax.

I could keep my current headphones too, although no HD800...

my Gungnir multibit and mjolnir 2 should be here tomorrow..

can't wait to get them set up.

I'll be using them with my HD800 and my Ether-C's.

Single ended for now, but balanced cable is on order.

I think I'm finally done with audio purchases for another couple years.

I dunno about all that end game amp shit when it comes to Stax. A friend of mine heard a 009 out of the cheapo SRM 252 that the 2170 comes bundled with vs a $3,000 Eddie Current amp and he still preferred the SRM. I also know a guy who builds electrostatic amps and he told me a KGSSHV does jack shit for the Stax 207 vs the stock SRM 252. Every person I trust who's heard all of the Stax cans side by side all say Stax diminishin returns is insane.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I've always thought a person's "endgame" should be in finding the level of equipment they're content with sonically, and less about finding contentment from the fact that they spent a huge sum of money, well beyond the point of diminishing returns.

NotSelf

Getting ZMF pads on a mk3 is fun. So after hour of trying to get them on I'm finally listening it doesn't quite have the same sound presence of the stock pads but there comfortable with a bit more clamping they also get warm just like the alpha pads.

I have the protein pads which I thought would be more cooler to wear but feels just as warm as my lambskin alpha pads.

I've always thought a person's "endgame" should be in finding the level of equipment they're content with sonically, and less about finding contentment from the fact that they spent a huge sum of money, well beyond the point of diminishing returns.

Right, which is why I'm hesitant to buy something I haven't heard myself. I've heard the hd800 and really liked it.

When it comes to amps and such, I would consider a Valhalla 2 endgame for me with the Senns.

Just can't decide if I want a collection of really good headphones I like, or one system with one headphone I love.

Edit: I'm leaning towards collection, as I can add a Stax SRS 2170 or Koss esp950 system to my collection without selling everything.

NotSelf

If I would've known that denon would have discontinued ah-d2000 I would have bought it again it was $220 back then who knows when massdrop will end these TH-X00 drops.

If I would've known that denon would have discontinued ah-d2000 I would have bought it again it was $220 back then who knows when massdrop will end these TH-X00 drops.

I still use my D2000 every day at work. Such a great headphone! They must be going on 6 or 7 years old now...

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Help me out with this:

Need examples of headphones that need more power than the Geek Out 1000 can give.

BrettWeir

Complete noob to all of this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm wanting to spend $200 or less on a pair of headphones mainly used for gaming, especially with VR (Audioshield currently) in mind. IE good for gaming and music from PC, not mobile.

I have been using a set of Steelseries Siberia 2's for the past few years, but want to have something that sounds better. I also want them to be light, since the Vive HMD has a decent heft already.

What would you all recommend? So far, I've been looking at:

AKG K7XX

ATH-M50X

Any others I should be looking at? What would y'all recommend between these two choices?

Thanks!

I'm wanting to spend $200 or less on a pair of headphones mainly used for gaming, especially with VR (Audioshield currently) in mind. IE good for gaming and music from PC, not mobile.

I have been using a set of Steelseries Siberia 2's for the past few years, but want to have something that sounds better. I also want them to be light, since the Vive HMD has a decent heft already.

AKG K7XX

ATH-M50X

Any others I should be looking at? What would y'all recommend between these two choices?

Thanks!

k7xx is in another league compared to the m50x. Unless you need isolation, I absolutely recommend the k7xx for gaming and home listening over the m50x.

my6765490

AKG K7XX

ATH-M50X

Thanks!

I am not sure if this is allowed in this thread, but I have a pair of AD900x's in good condition that I need to sell (because I am getting too many HFs), they have pretty good imaging and I am willing to let them go for pretty cheap, PM me if you want me to hold them for you/for more details.

Just how much does the HD598 leak audio? and is HD 600 better in not leaking audio? I would like a pair of headphones, that I can use both on public transportation without annoying other people with loud noisy music, but also use at home at my pc. I don't mind there not being any real noise cancellation. Would also like to stay under 300 euros.

BrettWeir

I am not sure if this is allowed in this thread, but I have a pair of AD900x's in good condition that I need to sell (because I am getting too many HFs), they have pretty good imaging and I am willing to let them go for pretty cheap, PM me if you want me to hold them for you/for more details.

Thanks for the offer. With the previous suggestion of getting the AKG's, I think I'm going to go that route.

Just how much does the HD598 leak audio? and is HD 600 better in not leaking audio? I would like a pair of headphones, that I can use both on public transportation without annoying other people with loud noisy music, but also use at home at my pc. I don't mind there not being any real noise cancellation. Would also like to stay under 300 euros.

Both mentioned are basically just speakers strapped to your head, as far as sound leakage goes. Sound flows completely unimpeded both in and out of them.

Both mentioned are basically just speakers strapped to your head, as far as sound leakage goes. Sound flows completely unimpeded both in and out of them.

Hmm that sucks. Any recommendation of ones in the same price range, without the big sound leak? I don't need them to be completely quiet to the outside, just not so it bothers people.

Hmm that sucks. Any recommendation of ones in the same price range, without the big sound leak? I don't need them to be completely quiet to the outside, just not so it bothers people.

I like the Momentum over ear and Oppo pm-3 for traveling. May have to get the pm-3 used to fit your budget though.

andylsun

Something one doesn't see very often - Koss ESP 950s (thanks craigslist!)

wYkZkh0.jpg

Bought these for less than $300 over the weekend and they are certainly a nice compliment to the TH-X00s, very non-fatiguing and resolving at the same time, great soundstage as well!

..And I still have a Talos (T50rp mod) coming, I am diving face first into mid-fi purgatory...

that's really nice. Lifetime warranty from Koss too - just send them in if you have any problems. I believe you don't need to be the original owner either.

Top Bottom