• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Haroon

Was the eBay one used? Brand new the SRS-2170 is $523 on pricejapan at the moment.

What are your concerns about moisture? Do you live somewhere humid? There are warnings in the manual about not listening when you have wet hair, but I think they are more robust than people give them credit for.

I've three pairs of stax from the 1970's (and I have the 2170's) that are all pretty much flawless. They will last for ever in normal use.

Yes, the Ebay one was used. It has been very hot in the recent days, and I have been sweating due to it. I decided to just wait it out, and get one of the more expensive models in the near future. Thanks for the information.

andylsun

Yes, the Ebay one was used. It has been very hot in the recent days, and I have been sweating due to it. I decided to just wait it out, and get one of the more expensive models in the near future. Thanks for the information.

I would say the basic model (2170) is pretty much worth it on its own. I wouldn't go for a higher end stax as your first.

There are a couple of downsides to them but for me they are outweighed by the sound quality. The downsides are

No isolation at all. If someone is watching tv in another room, I can hear it. They can also hear what I'm listening to.

Not really portable or transportable. They are perfect for a listening station but you wouldn't want to move it around the house or take it on a trip. I travel abroad quite a bit and wouldn't ever put them in a backpack and take them with me. I would take my sennheisers for example.

Stax Fart. Despite what the Z review said, the seal is important for low low bass response on the 2170. Don't do what he did and bypass the seal. The seal does mean that you can't eat or drink while using them as the movement of your jaw will cause crackle. It doesn't damage them but can be annoying.

It's one of those headphones for when you really want to just listen to some music. Not a headphone to use for background music while you do something else, but want to sit in a quiet room and focus on what you are hearing.

The cable (which should not be replaced as its handling 600 volts) feels flimsy but does the job. As its high voltage low current, the normal cable arguments don't apply.

If you order a Japanese version, finding the wall wart can be a pain. I lucked out last week and found a KNEX toy wall wart that was not only the right voltage and current but also the right polarity. Even better it was transformer based not switching.

number11

Now that summer is here, i need to replace my headphones with IEMs. What are considered the best all round earphones in the $100-$300 range?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Now that summer is here, i need to replace my headphones with IEMs. What are considered the best all round earphones in the $100-$300 range?

There are good IEMs sub-$100 these days.

SHOZY Zero
Zero Audio Tenore
Ostry KC06 or KC06A
Hifiman RE-400 (can get with iPhone or Android mic cable if needed)

What exactly are you looking for though?

Haroon

I would say the basic model (2170) is pretty much worth it on its own. I wouldn't go for a higher end stax as your first.

There are a couple of downsides to them but for me they are outweighed by the sound quality. The downsides are

No isolation at all. If someone is watching tv in another room, I can hear it. They can also hear what I'm listening to.

Not really portable or transportable. They are perfect for a listening station but you wouldn't want to move it around the house or take it on a trip. I travel abroad quite a bit and wouldn't ever put them in a backpack and take them with me. I would take my sennheisers for example.

Stax Fart. Despite what the Z review said, the seal is important for low low bass response on the 2170. Don't do what he did and bypass the seal. The seal does mean that you can't eat or drink while using them as the movement of your jaw will cause crackle. It doesn't damage them but can be annoying.

It's one of those headphones for when you really want to just listen to some music. Not a headphone to use for background music while you do something else, but want to sit in a quiet room and focus on what you are hearing.

The cable (which should not be replaced as its handling 600 volts) feels flimsy but does the job. As its high voltage low current, the normal cable arguments don't apply.

If you order a Japanese version, finding the wall wart can be a pain. I lucked out last week and found a KNEX toy wall wart that was not only the right voltage and current but also the right polarity. Even better it was transformer based not switching.

Thank you for taking the time to write all of the information Andylsun. It has broaden my knowledge about Electrostatic Earspeakers. I think I will end up buying the 2170 again soon, and see if I like them (Everyone seems to love them).

Xander51

I've spent a long time listening to the Sony h.ear on MDR100-AAP now, and it's still a great little portable headphone. I have zero complaints.

It's not as flashy as something like the Momentum 2, but it's also almost half the price. If Sony markets this right, it could do a lot to shake up the consumer portable space.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
HD518 just arrived, like two hours ago. Listened so some music, and they sound a lot different from my 5 years old K518! Well obviously. :p

Liking them though, I just need to get used to them.
I just noticed I the same number ahah

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Will this be an upgrade from a Schiit Modi?

Modi is a DAC and the O2 is an amplifier.

There is an O2/ODAC amp/dac combo, but that is not what's for sale on massdrop right now.

As far as upgrading, neither the O2 or ODAC would be an upgrade from the Schiit stack. I would even say the amp section of the O2 would be a downgrade from a Magni 2.

KingKong

I've been using the Sennheiser HD 202 2s for a while and they worked great until they broke down. I looked around for recs and ended up getting the Superlux HD-681 EVO. Now these sound good, but they're uncomfortable to use for a longer time. I guess I haven't used big headphones like that for long periods so I never knew that would be an issue.

So now I'm looking for lightweight comfortable headphones for under 100 bucks, what do you guys recommend?

LQX

I've been using the Sennheiser HD 202 2s for a while and they worked great until they broke down. I looked around for recs and ended up getting the Superlux HD-681 EVO. Now these sound good, but they're uncomfortable to use for a longer time. I guess I haven't used big headphones like that for long periods so I never knew that would be an issue.

So now I'm looking for lightweight comfortable headphones for under 100 bucks, what do you guys recommend?

If you don't mind open headphones I don't think anything under $100 beats the Philips SHP9500 as it even competes with many headphones twice that. It routinely goes on sale for $60 on Newegg so you might want to keep an eye on it. But even at $90 it is good deal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...re=phillips_headphones-_-26-138-190-_-Product

$65 on Ebay but I cant vouch for the seller but you should be very protected with EBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-SHP...711551?hash=item35fef4a0ff:g:kcgAAOSwAYtWJsEH

KingKong

If you don't mind open headphones I don't think anything under $100 beats the Philips SHP9500 as it even competes with many headphones twice that. It routinely goes on sale for $60 on Newegg so you might want to keep an eye on it. But even at $90 it is good deal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...re=phillips_headphones-_-26-138-190-_-Product

$65 on Ebay but I cant vouch for the seller but you should be very protected with EBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-SHP...711551?hash=item35fef4a0ff:g:kcgAAOSwAYtWJsEH

These look great. I'm also considering the Sennheiser HD 558s which are 95 bucks but I really like the design and just how light they are

LQX

These look great. I'm also considering the Sennheiser HD 558s which are 95 bucks but I really like the design and just how light they are

I was going to recommend the HD558 as they were $79 at BestBuy a day or so ago but the price went up when I went to check. Regardless, I would still recommend the Philips SHP9500 over them as they are just as good if not better than the HD598 which is just above the 558. Either-way the 558 is also a solid choice.

Hip Hop

I'd recommend the SHP9500 over the HD598, and they are more comfortable than the 598 imo as well.

The non proprietary cable connection is another plus,

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Dumb question. I have a pair of AKG headphones and I want to get a flat, non-tangle cord to replace the main one on my headphones. See below. Issue is, one end has the standard headphone jack male end, and the other end is a smaller male endpoint.

What is each end? 2.5mm and 1.5mm? I can't figure out what to search for.

EFq9J7otU8O4OhySXuAt9G_PfYFZEnJMBBSO0otWqHLu41ZUUyQ4vFllFtQ4Ujz-Fyj0MexiOpymUo5_Du5EkAXmPxKGUiM6cX1S_HobGH2akURLnzZid7NlVOpB8aJm93Gmtdyk6biBMHyFrxz33wKOCNK7zTloIJAE01YR2pQGaD4bs67dYbnx1-l7MTTcetP-Eme2EKtkQzpEsUxzmD-bMe051Ku_QlUbqY1X2Rv4YkTSaK5tMz5gEzSsqoLx7yiLf02RCF8Eb7afQdqb1EjI2TU8OIWHDbBGk7Le7nYGMnZtIy_F2Kma2QFZf-RuYjFuSDbTt-EWMK22ImtrNqo4n27FYsnuGlggPFem_D_-VmMcZEHgter0IVZDWcmdC9ioFu9xxgaTqe4Wyquem00hLv-DCNIyYEEw_8wSIdUZHovNG8cSulyCiFerX-nlhoe5h5PXcZQtR9h5UgQbBrn7Ej9XOzbxaMIMF134ZdLmDt4NycT5RardunkKJz27FmHqsVry5EgbcAY1ciCBHyG4i6pzt1j563sIfGXDJ2CTEwFBqpuXhUENZZq_fstO4Cn_Im5LCzzoH11FFMFfzyM4i_BWuziX=w733-h979-no

QPifYA-v-XlRFF8ZeMmHxQJgGU8UBsf_05rWNMCOY_xUUTYVa7eKAHqlFy5rsxi2VNlCvkwzKekcAy7gfKrhIdX923U_BEH_pL8LcDXqTe7NulQZn7hcihGkiHQ9wh-IcvWaHMRILNitNOsLFQIHwyhyePmkliUfb_osA5-9rX0xTm4cVlTMRl1s6kfEeWNOv0cdq9umKkZmMfvBt5aWm5SuDYm557hS70MGi2k00reTcCa04Zbvsd75TjlV5Uv4JLVW9E9PC9xBVpqj1RRoPhiE3iCLflSXCdgRqVX0l8zXUvUPOXcTVLlyVyPooafzuxOQd5Y1oO2qM8p0aRqRjGh7PKIl6gklwz3KHXMzK0thNWRGFA4-Q49cSoyTOO8OXQ8z7bQ9EEzfsPK6i4R4Vl7BWNAjY5nJg00cM5GSVZB_WJy5MRy_nqGHGefOeAhRc5rKUq5tEAPcjPrs7tiuI9PFOLpRBW6hlxS6z6hcaX_KM9SI56-VvxJxej3XnZ7RFy4s9bB99SHa6cKtirNT22Q_zQgP7FOffstA63m2WVgz8f6Ovwi4nZhY5gox0WgHo4JFnWsexIiRmZMZBbhTD-v3eYKYTMck=w733-h979-no

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't think your images are linked correctly.

Also shozy zero is up on Massdrop. Not much of a discount though.

That looks hot Solar, I love it.

I'm starting to think my record player's built-in preamp isn't cutting it. Might pick up a Schiit Modi 2 Uber in preparation for a new record player in a few months. I know the Modi is a DAC, but the Uber has analog inputs right? So it should work?

Xander51

I missed out on the 558 sale at Best Buy, but got them anyway price-matched to Amazon. I haven't owned any Senns or open headphones in a while, but I'm loving them.

I ordered a replacement cable after about an hour.

Antiwhippy

I'm starting to think my record player's built-in preamp isn't cutting it. Might pick up a Schiit Modi 2 Uber in preparation for a new record player in a few months. I know the Modi is a DAC, but the Uber has analog inputs right? So it should work?

That's not how it works. Digital to analog converters don't work when your source is already analog. :p

Schitt Mani I believe is what you're looking for. Your turntable has phono outputs right?

What Antiwhippy said. As long as your TT has a phono out that bypasses the built in preamp you can get the Schiit Mani to use instead. (or any phono preamp, I've heard good things about the U-turn Pluto in that same price range)

You wouldn't use a DAC with a TT. Your TT essentially is the DAC, in that it is the source. In this case, analog.

Oh. I guess I thought it was also a preamp. My turntable has a phono out, yes, but it's just a non-removable stereo RCA.

I should also clarify that I wanted to use the DAC functions with my computer.

Cool cool, that's what I'll do. Thanks for the help.

Guess I'll be getting the DAC as well at some point, for use with my PC.

Yea, no problem! Make sure you can bypass the internal phono preamp on your TT before you get the Mani though. I'm relatively new to the Vinyl scene and am not sure if that is possible or not.

Guess I will get the Massdrop O2 amp to prepare for the big headphone upgrade, which will happen in few months. Wondering if I can connect it to my xonar dgx to take advantage of DAC or how does that work?

Just got my Valhalla 2 today. I'm really digging the black color scheme.

Very nice. I am still on the fence on if I want to drop money on a Schiit stack. I have a wicked awesome Violectric setup.

$500 for the HD700 is insanely good. However Adorama does so many sales on Audeze stuff that you would be better off buying the Audeze on sale and selling your headphone separately.

True but I have never seen a headphone company do this.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Modi is a DAC and the O2 is an amplifier.

There is an O2/ODAC amp/dac combo, but that is not what's for sale on massdrop right now.

As far as upgrading, neither the O2 or ODAC would be an upgrade from the Schiit stack. I would even say the amp section of the O2 would be a downgrade from a Magni 2.

From what I've read they both represent the best for that price point, so I'd say there would be very little difference between them.

That's what my assumption was. Thanks guys. One less temptation. :)

Well it turns out my buying that second pair of TH-X00s was a good idea. My payment to Massdrop failed, and they wouldn't let me add another payment method. Then they ignored my support ticket, and now it's too late.

ty_hot

I need a new mp3/flac player. I use mostly mp3 but its nice to have flac available...

I had a sansa clip+ that was very bad, died out of nowhere so I dont want anything related to this brand.

Im thinking of Benjie S5 (35$) or Benjie C1 (25$) or AGPTek B03 (25€). I have a sd card so it doesnt matter the internal space. Priority is sound quality then battery.

Thoughts?

I also want a cheap amp to use with, what is the minimum i have to spend to have a good difference? Id like a little bit stronger bass for my backbeat pro. Could use it attached to my computer as well.

Antiwhippy

Yeah massdrop's support is super slow from my experience. They're kinda shitty in some ways honestly, but it depends what kind of deals you can get.

I use it mostly for the fashion stuff, weirdly enough.

They couldn't charge me, which was the problem. Then I changed my payment method so they could, but they never tried to charge again. I sent in a support ticket to resolve it before I was out of time but they never responded.

That's a shame. At least you got a pair. I was on the fence about getting a demo unit that was floating around in January. They are wicked headphones for the price.

Top Bottom