• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Howard Stern Show Thread

smurfx

get some go again
don't know about you guys but i honestly don't care if artie comes back. i really liked the shows last week with out artie.

gdt

I like Artie, but there's a different vibe when he's not there. I wouldn't mind of that vibe stuck around for a bit longer.

danootz

I'd be really sad if Artie left. I was waiting to see if he'd be in the next day after each day he turned out now to be in, and every time Howard said he wasn't back I got a little bummed and enjoyed the show less.

I can understand the Artie haters or the people that can't care either way if he's on the show, but I feel like he rounds out the cast of characters. It may just be an act but Artie is that "everyman" he makes good scratch but it doesn't help him with his personal issues and he doesn't try to make himself seem better than he is because he has money. He does all those charities for unfortunate people and you can hear it in his voice when he can identify other people's classy moves as he genuinely seems to understand right and wrong moves. He just falls victim to some mental issues in his personal life.

Most, if not all of Artie's stories (on the show at least, I never saw him live) make me crack up. It's in the way he can set up and tell a story. The coke-pig MadTV story clinched it for me when I got back into listening to Stern a couple years back.

I hope he's alright and maybe he just has the swine flu or another bad flu. I really want to feel like that's it and he'll be back in a day and really laugh it off that people thought he was gone. But if his self esteem and confidence is low because of his father/birthday thing, being doubted by everyone is not going to help.

nocode

Well I hope he comes back soon. On the other hand, the show has been fine without him, but he definitely brings a lot to the table when he is there. His standup sucks imo, but I'm sure Howard would suck at standup too.

aparisi2274

I like Artie, but yeah the show had a different vibe last week and sometimes Artie interrupts the show way to much which gets on my nerves....

I do enjoy when Takei is on, he always makes the show better. I wish he would do it full time..

gdt

Listening now, wow Howard is angry at Stuttering John. He's never said a bad word about him before.

danootz

Glad to hear he's back.

Yeah, I'm listening to yesterdays show and got past the part where Howard was restraining himself from tearing into Stuttering John. Guess he's letting loose today?

gdt

KingHenrik30 said:
What provoked this?

Over the weekend, John put up a Facebook update saying that Howard is lying about Jay Leno stealing bits (which is something he's always stayed out of). Howard went berserk on Monday's show.

gdt

So, with Howard's recent and frequent tirades on the subject, do you think his claims hold water? You know, the ones about Leno stealing his bits.

nocode

gdt5016 said:
So, with Howard's recent and frequent tirades on the subject, do you think his claims hold water? You know, the ones about Leno stealing his bits.

For the most part, especially the recent ones (do something for your plugs with all those girls and the wheel of sex, sanders the chicken picking football games against Artie, jay walking, that intern with the high/funny voice, and now flying that woman with balloons) I mean, how can anyone really deny it. The part that really is annoying is that while all those bits were implemented in an organic and funny way on the Stern show, they are forced and stupid of Leno's show. It makes it seem lame, and ruins it.

Finally caught Artie's explanation on the compilation show today. Assuming it's true I actually feel bad for the guy. I knew he had a fucked-up relationship with his dad but didn't know he was a quadriplegic who asked him to help him die on a regular basis so I can understand why recent events sent him into his "mini nervous breakdown".

gdt

Gary Whitta said:
Finally caught Artie's explanation on the compilation show today. Assuming it's true I actually feel bad for the guy. I knew he had a fucked-up relationship with his dad but didn't know he was a quadriplegic who asked him to help him die on a regular basis so I can understand why recent events sent him into his "mini nervous breakdown".

Yeah, I totally bought his whole rap.

And he's mentioned that whole thing with his dad a couple of times.

gdt

Damn, Howard has really been hammering his problems with Sirius. I wonder what they are...

That whole Oprah thing has to be one.

Leunam

gdt5016 said:
That whole Oprah thing has to be one.

I missed it today, but what did he say about Oprah? My guess is that he takes issue with her getting paid millions for her own channel where she only comes in for an hour a week or so. I'd take issue with that too.

gdt

Leunam said:
I missed it today, but what did he say about Oprah? My guess is that he takes issue with her getting paid millions for her own channel where she only comes in for an hour a week or so. I'd take issue with that too.

I haven't listened to today's yet. More so last week/Thursday.

But he was definitely pissed that time that Oprah came to visit, and apparently the removed his picture from the lobby.

Leunam

gdt5016 said:
I haven't listened to today's yet. More so last week/Thursday.

But he was definitely pissed that time that Oprah came to visit, and apparently the removed his picture from the lobby.

I didn't hear about that, but I might have missed that part. I do remember he had to take a back entrance or some shit.

ToxicAdam

I'd really rather see Howard retire than go through this whole sham of renegotiating again. It just gets ugly and it drags down the show everytime he does it.

I'd still like him to be on the air somewhere, but only for an hour a day (or week). His first hour is still great. He just doesn't have the energy to carry that through for an entire show.

nocode

ToxicAdam said:
I'd really rather see Howard retire than go through this whole sham of renegotiating again. It just gets ugly and it drags down the show everytime he does it.

I'd still like him to be on the air somewhere, but only for an hour a day (or week). His first hour is still great. He just doesn't have the energy to carry that through for an entire show.
You're insane. The news is usually 4+ hours in and is still the best part of the show imo.

AVclub

I think the man still has it. When he's interviewing someone he's genuinely interested in, it's like magic. I can't pull myself away from the radio. They usually schedule big guests toward the middle of the show and he manages to inform and entertain when he has something interesting to discuss.

I think what's killing Stern is more controlled PR and managers who are worried about their talent getting bad press. Unless there's someone in the studio who doesn't give a shit about anything, it's really hard to keep up that dynamic energy level Stern was known for.

gdt

Does anyone else enjoy Geek Time? I'm catching up right now, and it's great.

And Damon Lindelof (!) has been on a couple times. Including the most recent episode.

Leunam

What do you guys think of The Man Who Laughs at Everything? I think it would be funny in spurts, but it loses its punch when it drags on for too long.

gdt

I love it. My brother thinks it's the funniest thing Artie has ever done.

When it goes on long thats part of the bit, I think.

theJwac

Man who laughs at everything is getting kind of old. Did they ever do the Special Wrap Up Show featuring Fred? I'd really want to hear that.

nocode

It's hilarious when Artie just jumps into it at appropriate times. When they go on and on about it it's no good.

Leunam

nocode said:
When they go on and on about it it's no good.

You can even tell that the rest of the crew gets bored of it. Their laughter seems to just fade in intensity.

And yes, Artie mentioned that it is inspired by JD laughing at everything.

And damn, when Ronnie was talking about the chain of events with his mom I started welling up thinking about the time my mom was in the emergency room. :(

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i havent been listening lately, whats the status of eric the assh... midget?

Leunam

Still a midget, still an asshole.

He doesn't call in everyday. Well he might, but he doesn't get airtime like he used to.

aparisi2274

Leunam said:
God damn, Medicated Petes date was so sad. You'd think he'd get pointers about conversation beforehand.

When he was role playing with Miss Howard Stern this morning, I was cringing like ever time he opened his mouth....Poor bastard!

Someone needs to sit him down and give him some pointers..

I wonder if the whole thing was rigged like SFN thinks. The wheelchair chick way cute i don't see how it could be THAT hard to get a decent bf. The ex con and midget just wanted to be on the show. Can't find any of them on facebook, could be actresses.

gdt

Eric ragging on Artie for bailing on that gig was, like, one of the funniest most fucked up things I'd ever heard.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
speaking of stern, is there anywhere online to download clips of various bits/phone calls?

i'm specifically looking for the mike walker call to that hillbilly with lots of laughing

daycru

Started listening to the show through umm... nefarious means a few months ago, loved it so much I got a Sirius sub. I have no idea how I lived without the show before, totally wasted 24 years :lol

The man who laughs at everything is my favorite bit, a dog who's also a district attorney? Absurd!

Top Bottom