• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

1-D_FTW

ICS loses charge almost as fast as it regains it. :/

Is that because programs continue to run in the background?

http://i.minus.com/ibrR3alMhusaLd.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

No. It's a randomness that nobody really seems to know the answer to. I'd suggest doing a reboot and seeing if that works. But I've had some builds that just work terrible. As I've posted above, the 6-29 build is the best Android build I've used with regards to battery drain. But as another poster stated, 6-29 is just as awful for him. So it's truly a mystery. I'm only losing about 1 percent an hour when idle.

I'd use something like BetteryBatteryStats to find out exactly what's causing it. Otherwise, just install another nightly or go back to the one that used to work for you.

Dunlop

As the hardware is all the same I don't get why some people are having certain issues and not others.

I installed using this noob guide and buiild 2 months ago

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/install...chpad-minutes/

Outside of no camera I have had no issues with anything

My kids play a ton of games, use netflix ec, wife surfs the web (chrome) and uses facebook.

I brought it to the cabin a few weeks ago and it was mostly unplugged and I didn't notice anything abnormal about the battery draining

SRG01

ibrR3alMhusaLd.png

Look at what activity it's doing under awake.

coldfoot

Banned
Dipped my feet into Android and wow it's such a crappy OS compared to iOS. All I wanted was to make the backlight automatic with an initial preset level and it gave me 50 options to do so with big words such as "hysteresis." That is ridiculous since the best way to do it is how iOS does it, a slider and an option as only no-lifes will want more than that on their tablets or phones. nevertheless, I think it uses the camera to set the brightness so it's not going to work on my CM9 install. Also having so many screens is confusing beyond belief. I cannot imagine anyone switching from iOS to Android and being pleased with the usability of the software.

Regardless, I installed the gapps.zip but can't find google maps anywhere and I have also searched the store...any help?
If it helps, I installed today's nightly and the gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip.

Dipped my feet into Android and wow it's such a crappy OS compared to iOS. All I wanted was to make the backlight automatic with an initial preset level and it gave me 50 options to do so with big words such as "hysteresis." That is ridiculous since the best way to do it is how iOS does it, a slider and an option as only no-lifes will want more than that on their tablets or phones. nevertheless, I think it uses the camera to set the brightness so it's not going to work on my CM9 install. Also having so many screens is confusing beyond belief. I cannot imagine anyone switching from iOS to Android and being pleased with the usability of the software.

Regardless, I installed the gapps.zip but can't find google maps anywhere and I have also searched the store...any help?

Oh my, you won't get much help with remarks like this.

Nif

ibrR3alMhusaLd.png

Is your wifi ever turning off? That drains your battery quite a bit. Set wifi to sleep when the screen is off (still buggy in ICS iirc) or get Juice Defender to turn it off when the screen is off and back on when you're active again. The Juice Defender method may cause it to take minute or so after the screen turns on to re-enable wifi.

mclaren777

Is your wifi ever turning off?

Nope, never thought to try. Leaving wi-fi on in webOS never caused battery problems so I don't understand why Android seemingly struggles with it. I'm planning to go back to webOS anyway so this is all irrelevant.

reKon

Banned

I don't even know where to begin, lol. Also you are aware that you're using a custom rom right?

Nif

Nope, never thought to try. Leaving wi-fi on in webOS never caused battery problems so I don't understand why Android seemingly struggles with it. I'm planning to go back to webOS anyway so this is all irrelevant.

Wifi on WebOS was most likely turning off while it was asleep and turning on occasionally to sync emails etc. Android works the same way, but I think ICS on this rom leaves Wifi on all the time by default. If you set it to "Always on while charging" or something, you'll probably get much better results and it will wake up to sync as much as WebOS.

coldfoot

Banned
Can anyone point me to the official, signed google maps apk? I can't get it from the market it's not showing.

Also limiting homescreens to 1 and keeping it blank helps a lot for the transition from iOS.

0OoO0

Well trying for an hour and a half to install Android on my touchpad...Totally frustrated with CM9 install, get the error "unable to find device". Have the novacom drivers installed, ACMEInstaller2 is in Program files\palm, Inc.

Followed these instructions word for word (http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/install-android-ice-cream-sandwich-hp-touchpad-minutes/)

Totally at loss, please help!

EDIT 1: Alright, tried installing the universal novocom drivers and it still won't freaking work! I just want to smash this thing! It's so fucking annoying =(

EDIT 2: Is there another method I can use to get this to work? It works for everyone except me...why me? FML!

EDIT 3: I fucking give up!!! :mad:

LQX

Well trying for an hour and a half to install Android on my touchpad...Totally frustrated with CM9 install, get the error "unable to find device". Have the novacom drivers installed, ACMEInstaller2 is in Program files\palm, Inc.

Followed these instructions word for word (http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/install-android-ice-cream-sandwich-hp-touchpad-minutes/)

Totally at loss, please help!

EDIT 1: Alright, tried installing the universal novocom drivers and it still won't freaking work! I just want to smash this thing! It's so fucking annoying =(

EDIT 2: Is there another method I can use to get this to work? It works for everyone except me...why me? FML!

EDIT 3: I fucking give up!!! :mad:

Yeah, I too found it impossible to get the novocom drivers working on my PC though they seemingly installed with no problems. I think it's because I installed the old drivers last year when I put preware on WebOS. That did not work either.

I had to switch computers completely. So if you have another PC try installing the drivers on it.

dabig2

RAAAAAAAAAAGE

Hah yeah, I've had this same problem as well. Unfortunately, I can't remember how I fixed it. I think I had to either reinstall the drivers and reboot or I restarted ADB, which was running at the time. Really wish I remember what I did...

Speaking of Android, finally upgraded to the Nightlies the other day. What an incredible difference! It's SO much faster now, plus the microphone is working splendidly. I've had no wifi issues at all as well. Before, my wifi would up and quit after 2 hours of sleep and would never reconnect on its own (I would have to forget the network, toggle the wifi, and then re-input my password - very annoying).

Plus the battery seems to be much improved. I've only had it unplugged for 8 hours now, but it has only lost 4% of battery so far! Half a percentage loss per hour is not too bad considering. A big help for that has been that I can now let my wifi turn off during sleep and still be able to automatically reconnect to it when it wakes. That alone definitely increases battery life.

Sordid

My partner's Touchpad is getting repaired soon, it's always been inside the official case but both speakers have cracked (and a wee bit of plastic has even fallen off of one speaker). Not sure whether to keep it after the repair or not, the warranty is gone in a fortnight :/

Should I remove Android before they pick it up? Would they care?

Birbo

Step-by-step list of instructions for updating ICS solely through the TouchPad...

Thanks for this. Worked like a charm. Seems to have fixed my main issue with Android on the Touchpad; now when I listen to music via Pandora, Google Music, etc., the sound doesn't fuzz out on me when the screen goes to sleep.

And now that I've found ComicRack for my comics, I don't know why I'd boot into WebOS for anything. The only thing I do like on WebOS is that when I play music on Pandora, it's commercial free.

Husker86

Dipped my feet into Android and wow it's such a crappy OS compared to iOS. All I wanted was to make the backlight automatic with an initial preset level and it gave me 50 options to do so with big words such as "hysteresis." That is ridiculous since the best way to do it is how iOS does it, a slider and an option as only no-lifes will want more than that on their tablets or phones.

You do realize that you are running a custom ROM built for tweakers, right?

Those options for display are not present in stock Android or most custom ROMs not based on CM.

This isn't exactly what you should use to decide your opinion on Android, but whatever.

reKon

Banned
Just updated to tonight's nightly, missed a few updates. Much smoother now :)

Is it really? I'm one of the june builds right now. At times its smooth, but then at other times you can see the little bit of stutters especially when your scrolling through the app drawer.

Ashhong

Just got around to using my Touchpad again after my dad stopped using because he got a fancy new iPad. It's pretty damn decent still...I was going to go sell it and buy a Nexus 7 but I really don't see the point in spending probably about $150 after selling the TP for it.

reKon

Banned
Just got around to using my Touchpad again after my dad stopped using because he got a fancy new iPad. It's pretty damn decent still...I was going to go sell it and buy a Nexus 7 but I really don't see the point in spending probably about $150 after selling the TP for it.

This flies on the newest nightly for the most part.

Ashhong

This flies on the newest nightly for the most part.

Nice, I downloaded it earlier but didn't install yet. I was sad when I saw that the Nexus 7 had no rear camera, and then I just realized today neither does the TP haha. Guess it really isn't necessary for me. Only useful if you take the tablet around everywhere.

coldfoot

Banned
You do realize that you are running a custom ROM built for tweakers, right?

Those options for display are not present in stock Android or most custom ROMs not based on CM.

This isn't exactly what you should use to decide your opinion on Android, but whatever.

Thanks for that I realized it.

Once I reduced the number of home screens to one, I actually think Android is a decent OS. However the fonts are ugly, the browser isn't up to par with mobile Safari, and the apps are inferior to their iOS versions. I gave my iPad to my dad, since the only use I got out of mine was to watch video on it and Android can do that just fine.

In short, it's a decent OS and the home screen customizability is better than iOS, but for everything else it lags behind.

reKon

Banned
Thanks for that I realized it.

Once I reduced the number of home screens to one, I actually think Android is a decent OS. However the fonts are ugly, the browser isn't up to par with mobile Safari, and the apps are inferior to their iOS versions. I gave my iPad to my dad, since the only use I got out of mine was to watch video on it and Android can do that just fine.

In short, it's a decent OS and the home screen customizability is better than iOS, but for everything else it lags behind.

In my opinion as far as tablets go the ONLY thing that iOS legitimately has over android is the quality of apps. Even that doesn't really bother me because I've found all the apps I need and for the most part they work just as well even though some are truly inferior to the iOS counterpart.

You say in everything else it lags behind? Well maybe in performance the iPad is generally better, but jellybean closed the gap even more and ICS already brought it pretty close. If you make your home screen setup just as stale as the icon only set up in ios and have no widgets and live wallpapers then there probably won't be lag and be almost just as smooth in ICS. In jellybean that doesn't even matter anymore because can run all of that and everything will be smooth.

The big difference for me is the customization and he ability to navigate the OS/have all the apps integrated well into the OS. You seem to severely undermining these features but these are the main things that put ICS and jellybean over iOS (with the exception of tablet apps). I can get anywhere within the tablet and just navigate around much faster than I do in iOS where I sometimes have to dig though menus to get to where I need to go. The recent windows icon is amazing for that type of navigation, it's always available, quick, and easy to use.

With ICS I can easily choose to use third party apps if I want and literally every media or social type app I have allows me to share with other apps I have and makes everything so simple and convenient. The Google apps are much better in ICS too because they are integrated much better and have more features.

Also the notifications in ICS and jellybean destroy iOS and these are pretty important to me in addition to the Google apps (mainly gmail, calender, and maps with navigation)

I also have Google music so I can stream all my music, and precache all the albums I want to keep on my device. No needs to bother with iTunes to manages everything and it's all very simple.

There are some other things I can me mention about the differences in ICS alone, but I won't bother. I don't see how you can call ICS merely decent compared to iOS. And to be fair it wouldn't be good to use the performance of ICS on the touchpad as a basis for any argument you want to bring up considering that this still a port of android and many other tablets there don't the same performance issues (although cynogen mod has done a really goof job with the port and performance in latest nightly is much better, but still doesn't match my Nexus that had ICS on it before I went to jellybean).

iOS, despite its consistent performance is way too stale of an OS for my taste and is slow in terms of nagivating the OS and my Android tablet can do everything that I need it do which is mainly watch videos ans browsing with good battery life. Jellybean will just further the gap with smoother performance, improved notifications and Google Now. Hopefully developer support will improve.

Maybe actually using your touchpad more will allow you to learn more. I see no reason for you to get upset or confused about having multiple homescreens especially when you have multiple screens in iOS. It almost seems like you're grasping for straws here...

I hope there aren't too many typos in this post lol. Sent from my Nexus

coldfoot

Banned
In my opinion as far as tablets go the ONLY thing that iOS legitimately has over android is the quality of apps. Even that doesn't really bother me because I've found all the apps I need and for the most part they work just as well even though some are truly inferior to the iOS counterpart.
I can't make the video full-screen in the Netflix app is just one issue that appears minor but greatly affects my enjoyment with the tablet. The video does not seem to be in HD either and looks vastly inferior compared to the iPad version on the same internet connection.

You say in everything else it lags behind? Well maybe in performance the iPad is generally better, but jellybean closed the gap even more and ICS already brought it pretty close. If you make your home screen setup just as stale as the icon only set up in ios and have no widgets and live wallpapers then there probably won't be lag and be almost just as smooth in ICS. In jellybean that doesn't even matter anymore because can run all of that and everything will be smooth.
It's still not as smooth as iOS, but that's the least of my problems. There's a general aura of unrefinement in the entire OS. The fonts are fugly, the browser is fugly, the app icons are fugly, and the web browser is choppy. Widgets are nice and I use them, but live wallpapers were a bad idea with windows 98, and they're still a bad idea for now. It's for kids or people who are more interested in style than substance and usability.

The big difference for me is the customization and he ability to navigate the OS/have all the apps integrated well into the OS. You seem to severely undermining these features but these are the main things that put ICS and jellybean over iOS (with the exception of tablet apps). I can get anywhere within the tablet and just navigate around much faster than I do in iOS where I sometimes have to dig though menus to get to where I need to go. The recent windows icon is amazing for that type of navigation, it's always available, quick, and easy to use.

Also the notifications in ICS and jellybean destroy iOS and these are pretty important to me in addition to the Google apps (mainly gmail, calender, and maps with navigation)
The notification center that came with iOS5 is just as good as the ones I saw in my ICS TouchPad. Google Apps are obviously better on Android, but I have no need for it besides maps as I do not use any google services besides e-mail and iOS calendars are just as good anyway.

Doopliss

For some reason this doesn't work on mine. It's always on unless I manually disable it.
I'm fairly sure one of the devs said it's a nonfunctional preference with the new(ish) wifi driver, which is meant to go into a very low power mode by itself while the device is asleep.

cbox

Is it really? I'm one of the june builds right now. At times its smooth, but then at other times you can see the little bit of stutters especially when your scrolling through the app drawer.

There's still a bit of chopiness now and then, but overall the experience is much better than some of the earlier builds. I'm warming up to android more every day.

1-D_FTW

I'm fairly sure one of the devs said it's a nonfunctional preference with the new(ish) wifi driver, which is meant to go into a very low power mode by itself while the device is asleep.

Yeah. I never turn that off. If the battery life stinks, it's from something else. I'm still running the build I mentioned earlier, and I'm still getting real good idle drain. Whatever the issue is, it's random and annoying, but it's not really related to whether you have wifi on/off.

So, I think I may finally upgrade my TP to Android. Been faithfully enjoying WebOS since day 1 of the fire sale, but I am ready to say goodbye. Ate there any updated or definitive guides for installing the most stable form of Android?

Natiko

Banned
Hey all, I was wondering what I would need to do to update to one of the latest builds? I haven't updated the build since I first installed android on my touchpad so I'm all the way back on Cyanogenmod7 I think. It's pretty outdated at this point and I realized I should probably try to figure out how to update it. Any help would be appreciated, I'm just paranoid I'd end up bricking it if I didn't ask for some help.

Top Bottom