• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Owzers

This was on top of the page(well if you're using 100 post pages)

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/install-android-ice-cream-sandwich-hp-touchpad-minutes/

I went ahead and did this after thinking about it for awhile ( i did see that link before, just thought there might be a newer stable version ).

Ran into a problem: Wifi network stuck in an "Authentication problem" and can't connect.

Anyone know the best way to remedy this?

i've tried rebooting, unplugging and replugging router, turning wifi off and on and off and on, and forgetting the password and trying again, all to no avail :( :(

EDIT: WOW, 30 minutes of being disappointed/trying to find out what went wrong and i forgot one letter in my router password :) :p :( :O

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Just to be perfectly clear on this, if I installed Android on my Touchpad a few months ago and now want to make sure I'm updated to the most current version what I should do is seek out the most recent nightly build, correct? Any specific source I should go to or is one result from just googling "Android Touchpad nightly build" as good as any other?

Peagles

Anyone still using ComicShelf on WebOS?

It was working fine for me up until a couple of weeks ago and now everything still works fine but every 5-10 minutes I'll get the error about some service not running. Then the page goes blank and I have to exit and reload the comic to get it working again.

I've tried searching for fixes but it seems that others are only getting this error straight out (not intermittently like me) and there doesn't appear to be any fixes that I can see for any variant.

Anyone any wiser?

Thanks in advance!

Did some more battery tests but now with the Supreme MODS installed ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1519161 )

WO1Lu.png

http://i.imgur.com/WO1Lu.png

I wanted to do a test with HD video but the battery died so I'll have to do it another day.

Doing comparisons with my previous test it DOUBLED the battery life with Wifi disabled and screen disabled, with wifi enabled it's about the same. It's also interesting to see that SD video uses about the same as HD video (at least without patches).

Anyone still using ComicShelf on WebOS?

It was working fine for me up until a couple of weeks ago and now everything still works fine but every 5-10 minutes I'll get the error about some service not running. Then the page goes blank and I have to exit and reload the comic to get it working again.

I've tried searching for fixes but it seems that others are only getting this error straight out (not intermittently like me) and there doesn't appear to be any fixes that I can see for any variant.

Anyone any wiser?

Thanks in advance!

I use it regularly. More real estate than anything on ICS and I appreciate that.
Anyway, I think you can try reinstalling it or alternatively, try turning off some of the settings like remembering the last open page, bookshelf view and or read/unread options.
It might improve it.

Anyways, I had a question, are there new versions of the gapps files and is anyone's Chrome Beta not opening?

Peagles

I use it regularly. More real estate than anything on ICS and I appreciate that.
Anyway, I think you can try reinstalling it or alternatively, try turning off some of the settings like remembering the last open page, bookshelf view and or read/unread options.
It might improve it.

Anyways, I had a question, are there new versions of the gapps files and is anyone's Chrome Beta not opening?

Thanks, I'll give those a try!

Yes I have ICS installed on my TP but seldom use it because of wifi issues. I've also heard that nothing comes close to ComicShelf on Android so that's good enough reason to keep WebOS around for me.

Joe

I don't know of any option that makes the E work as the 3. Sounds more like there is something up with the touch screen. It's really, REALLY easy to upgrade to CM9. You literally can walk her through the steps in 5 minutes.

1. Download CM9
2. Download Google Apps
3. Restart into CWM
4. Wipe data
5. Install CM9
6. Install Google Apps

done!

hey, thanks for this! :)

from what i have read, upgrading to cm9 from cm7 through CWM is not a good idea? apparently there's lot of little issues that crop up when done this way. is that true, or should i just go ahead with this method?

https://plus.google.com/111443373232478614682/posts/LFCdZtv9wcq

"If you have a touchpad runnning CM9 and you are not using the official nightlies then you are missing out. Lots of fixes in the latest nightlies. JCSullins has been busy fixing up many of the lingering issues."

Stupid question: I know where to download the Nightlies, but where do I have to look for the corresponding Google apps? I need the suiting apps, no?
Edit: OK, I found loads of them at goo.im/gapps. Now I have to research which version is the correct one.

And the install is just dropping the zips and then installing via clockwork mod and then clearing the caches? Am I allowed to use the supreme mods on top of that?
I am quite satisfied with the ICS performance (some march build, I believe) right now and don't want to break a running system.

Karish

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Will doing this uninstall anything or change any settings? My girlfriend and I share a touchpad, I'd hate to mess it all up for her

If you're already on CM 9 then it shouldn't. I'm sure it's the same for CM7. I usually update nightlies every other week and never lost anything

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Has there been any word on whether or not the GPS, camera, mic, etc. will ever be working or are they more or less a lost cause?

Pretty much just curious more than anything else. GPS is all I really care about at all, and that's only because Star Chart would look much better on my Touchpad than on my phone.

DCKing

Has there been any word on whether or not the GPS, camera, mic, etc. will ever be working or are they more or less a lost cause?

Pretty much just curious more than anything else. GPS is all I really care about at all, and that's only because Star Chart would look much better on my Touchpad than on my phone.
Well, the microphone has been fixed in a nightly build last week or so.

If you want your GPS to work, you should buy another tablet because the HP Touchpad doesn't have GPS. There was a 3G model in the works with a GPS receiver but that was never released.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Well, the microphone has been fixed in a nightly build last week or so.

If you want your GPS to work, you should buy another tablet because the HP Touchpad doesn't have GPS. There was a 3G model in the works with a GPS receiver but that was never released.
Really? Could have swore GPS was there when I used to use WebOS.

Again, really doesn't matter to me. I can surf the web and play games and that's basically all I want a tablet for.

Zapages

Have they fixed the battery, camera, and other wifi bugs? I am still waiting for that to install ICS (CM9) on my touchpad...

reKon

Banned
Have they fixed the battery, camera, and other wifi bugs? I am still waiting for that to install ICS (CM9) on my touchpad...

didn't read I see!

Camera doesn't work, battery is solid, wifi works a ton better, and CM9 has been increasingly smoother. Netflix's and youtube HD work very really. My chrome browser has weird graphical glitches, but its usable and the browser works well. There's still the occasional FC, but everything has been working great for me and I haven't installed any nightly in over a month too..

LQX

Questions: First time updating HP Touchpad and I just downloaded a all in one folder but want to make sure I get the latest files onto the Touch Pad dir.

1 - moboot_0.3.5 - Seems to be the latest.
2 - update-cwm_tenderloin-1012 - Seems to be the latest.

The two last files I need are....
3 - gapps. Can I just download the latest here...http://wiki.rootzwiki.com/Google_Apps#20120317 which is gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip.md5 (should I take of that .md5?). The one in the folder is gapps-ics-20120317-signed.

4 - Rather than using update-cm-9-20120329-NIGHTLY-tenderloin-signed which in the folder can I use one the cm-9-20120627-NIGHTLY-tenderloin which seems to be the latest nightly build?

Thanks.

Is this your first time installing Android? Are you coming straight from WebOS? If so, you'll need ACMEInstaller2 to actually install it.

1) is the boot loader. Here, you can switch between WebOS, its recovery, Android, and its recovery (ClockworkMod). Your file is OK.

2) is the Recovery (ClockworkMod). This is how you will install future Android updates. Your file seems OK here as well.

3) are the Google apps. You should download the newest one, gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip, from here:
http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
I don't know why you have the md5 file, but this is the link to the real deal.

4) is the actual Android installation. Yes, use the latest nightly build from here
http://get.cm/?device=tenderloin
It's at the top, labeled 2012/06/27. They very recently added microphone support, so I was actually downloading it as I saw your post, lol.

LQX

Is this your first time installing Android? Are you coming straight from WebOS? If so, you'll need ACMEInstaller2 to actually install it.

1) is the boot loader. Here, you can switch between WebOS, its recovery, Android, and its recovery (ClockworkMod). Your file is OK.

2) is the Recovery (ClockworkMod). This is how you will install future Android updates. Your file seems OK here as well.

3) are the Google apps. You should download the newest one, gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip, from here:
http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
I don't know why you have the md5 file, but this is the link to the real deal.

4) is the actual Android installation. Yes, use the latest nightly build from here
http://get.cm/?device=tenderloin
It's at the top, labeled 2012/06/27. They very recently added microphone support, so I was actually downloading it as I saw your post, lol.

Thanks a lot Why would you do that?, that was a great help.

Everything seems to be in order. ACMEInstaller2 is in the folder. I do the last step though “novacom.exe boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller2&#8243; In CMD but I keep getting “failed to connect to server”. Googling, they say to check Java and reinstall Novacom. I have done both numerous times and nothing. Any help on this?

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
So I just tried this and all I get after rebooting the final time is:

Boot webOS
Boot ClockworkMod
Boot webOS Recovery
Reboot
Shutdown

No boot to Cyanogenmod.

What gives? :(

EDIT: I replaced the cyanogenmod .zip that I downloaded as per the instructions^ with one of the nightlies. I dun goofed didn't I?

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Just tried it again and didn't stray from the instructions here - it worked. I'm an idiot.

How do I go about updating it to the recently posted nightly?

Thanks a lot Why would you do that?, that was a great help.

Everything seems to be in order. ACMEInstaller2 is in the folder. I do the last step though “novacom.exe boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller2&#8243; In CMD but I keep getting “failed to connect to server”. Googling, they say to check Java and reinstall Novacom. I have done both numerous times and nothing. Any help on this?

No problem.

Your TouchPad is plugged in and in recovery mode as you do this, right? Just making sure. To get to recovery mode:
0) Plug your TouchPad into your computer.
1) Turn your TouchPad off, or initiate a restart.
2) As the TouchPad turns on (you'll see the HP logo), hold the volume up button.
3) You will enter Recovery mode. There will be a USB symbol on screen, and the device will connect to your PC.

Then try using Novacom. If it still doesn't work, try restarting your computer.

If it still doesn't work, then it's probably a problem with your TouchPad drivers. Try reinstalling Novacom and the drivers with this tool:
http://code.google.com/p/universal-novacom-installer/downloads/list
I haven't used it, but it's apparently a tool that automatically installs Novacom for you, as well as the drivers for the TouchPad for your OS (Win, Mac, or Linux). Pretty useful.

Ashhong

Sooooo after the recent announcement of the Nexus 7, I think I will be selling my Touchpad. Anybody interested? 16gb, perfect condition, no cracks or anything, I'm thinking just 100$ back.

Sooooo after the recent announcement of the Nexus 7, I think I will be selling my Touchpad. Anybody interested? 16gb, perfect condition, no cracks or anything, I'm thinking just 100$ back.

You can sell it on eBay for around $160 when I checked earlier. I'm probably going to sell mine, too.

I'll miss having WebOS, Ubuntu, and Android on it, though.

reKon

Banned
This sounds like a stupid question but, are you guys going to reset everything on the tablet back to factory?

I'm really considering selling mine. I just need to check if I will be okay with the 7 inch form factor.

Ashhong

You can sell it on eBay for around $160 when I checked earlier. I'm probably going to sell mine, too.

I'll miss having WebOS, Ubuntu, and Android on it, though.

Yea I don't like dealing with ebay fees and stuff so just thought I'd throw it out there.

This sounds like a stupid question but, are you guys going to reset everything on the tablet back to factory?

I'm really considering selling mine. I just need to check if I will be okay with the 7 inch form factor.

Depends on how I want to market it. I think I will just reset the Android and make it clean, and market it as an Android tablet with WebOS lol

LQX

No problem.

Your TouchPad is plugged in and in recovery mode as you do this, right? Just making sure. To get to recovery mode:
0) Plug your TouchPad into your computer.
1) Turn your TouchPad off, or initiate a restart.
2) As the TouchPad turns on (you'll see the HP logo), hold the volume up button.
3) You will enter Recovery mode. There will be a USB symbol on screen, and the device will connect to your PC.

Then try using Novacom. If it still doesn't work, try restarting your computer.

If it still doesn't work, then it's probably a problem with your TouchPad drivers. Try reinstalling Novacom and the drivers with this tool:
http://code.google.com/p/universal-novacom-installer/downloads/list
I haven't used it, but it's apparently a tool that automatically installs Novacom for you, as well as the drivers for the TouchPad for your OS (Win, Mac, or Linux). Pretty useful.

Thanks a lot. Had to switch computers as nothing else was working but finally got it working.

ICS is great so far but it's design features does not seem that far off from WebOS besides the apps. Like a few of you, I too was thinking about getting rid of it but I now kind of like the novelty of dual booting both WebOS and Android. Will keep it until Win8 tablets for sure.

Ronabo

Anyone else experiencing audio lag issues with Netflix on CM9?

I never did with CM7. Now I get audio that's a half a second or so off from what is said. It drives me nuts.

I've tried uninstalling Netflix and reinstalling it and that did not work.

mclaren777

My TP has been locked in landscape position since I bought it and I noticed some slight ghosting/burn-in the other day. To fix it I simply flipped the orientation 180º and re-locked the position. After 2-3 days, the issue resolved itself so I've now re-flipped the orientation.

Has anybody else experienced this?

gokieks

Anyone else experiencing audio lag issues with Netflix on CM9?

I never did with CM7. Now I get audio that's a half a second or so off from what is said. It drives me nuts.

I've tried uninstalling Netflix and reinstalling it and that did not work.

No, though occasionally when I start a video I just don't get audio at all. Usually exiting out and starting it again fixes it. Also occasionally the audio becomes slightly crackled and distorted, but that's fixed the same way.

Top Bottom