• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
So, what Android version are we on at this point? I was thinking about dualbooting mine at some point. Are we still at Gingerbread?

EDIT: After some googling, I see it's now at ICS! Time to fiddle (and probably break) my touchpad! Is there a list of things that don't work in CM9?

kharma45

So, what Android version are we on at this point? I was thinking about dualbooting mine at some point. Are we still at Gingerbread?

EDIT: After some googling, I see it's now at ICS! Time to fiddle (and probably break) my touchpad! Is there a list of things that don't work in CM9?

Just the camera at this point I think.

With the upcoming Nexus 7, I'm thinking about selling my 16GB TP. I have CM7 on it, but it drains a lot of battery when idle (and in airplane mode) and keeps turning itself on automatically (I've started powering off to save battery).

With the upcoming Nexus 7, I'm thinking about selling my 16GB TP. I have CM7 on it, but it drains a lot of battery when idle (and in airplane mode) and keeps turning itself on automatically (I've started powering off to save battery).

I'd love to sell mine off, but the fucking thing has cracks from not being used. HP has awful quality control. May try to sell it for $50 or so, we'll see.

1-D_FTW

Updated to the 6-28 build yesterday and it was a fairly major upgrade from my last nightly. The voice recognition working (and working really well) was most welcomed. But the battery life is crap for me for some reason. Even tried rebooting it. But it's just consistently draining about 3 percent per hour. Going to give the 6-29 a try right now and hope it's improved things. I had been able to go 2 - 3 days with light use (and just need to reboot when things went wonky with idle draining too much).

EDIT: Is there any way to change what music program it opens with voice search. It's not giving me the option of using "Music" when I say "Listen, "Artist", "Song". Just some other programs (Apollo, TuneIn, and one other that I forget). Is there any way to add another program to the default?

2nd EDIT: Hmm. For some reason "Music" got uninstalled. If I manually touch it, it says "app not installed". Guess that's the issue.

3rd EDIT: Did they nuke this ability? I don't want to use Google Play Music and have to upload and download my music library. I already have it on the SD card.

Doopliss

Updated to the 6-28 build yesterday and it was a fairly major upgrade from my last nightly. The voice recognition working (and working really well) was most welcomed. But the battery life is crap for me for some reason. Even tried rebooting it. But it's just consistently draining about 3 percent per hour. Going to give the 6-29 a try right now and hope it's improved things. I had been able to go 2 - 3 days with light use (and just need to reboot when things went wonky with idle draining too much).

EDIT: Is there any way to change what music program it opens with voice search. It's not giving me the option of using "Music" when I say "Listen, "Artist", "Song". Just some other programs (Apollo, TuneIn, and one other that I forget). Is there any way to add another program to the default?

2nd EDIT: Hmm. For some reason "Music" got uninstalled. If I manually touch it, it says "app not installed". Guess that's the issue.

3rd EDIT: Did they nuke this ability? I don't want to use Google Play Music and have to upload and download my music library. I already have it on the SD card.
Apollo is the official CM9 music app. 'Music' was just a placeholder so it was removed when Apollo was added.

You can Play Music which is stored locally on the device. I don't know if it will try an upload it, as I don't live in the US.

So my google play music on my CM9 touchpad turns to shit when the screen goes to black. when the screen is on, its fine. Any idea's why that is?

1-D_FTW

So an update on the battery life: as bad as the 6-28 buiild was for me, the 6-29 build is oppositely awesome. If everything is accurate, I'm not even sure it's draining 1 percent per hour:)

I think I'm going to stick with this build until they get the camera working;)

Apollo is the official CM9 music app. 'Music' was just a placeholder so it was removed when Apollo was added.

You can Play Music which is stored locally on the device. I don't know if it will try an upload it, as I don't live in the US.

Thanks. Makes a bunch of sense.

Owzers

on my cm9 touchpad, the Marvel App says it's incompatible with my device ( not that it was ever compatible). Is that a problem with everyone? I can use Comixology, Dark Horse, and DC's app just fine, only problem is Marvel.

1-D_FTW

The randomness of it all :lol.

I literally drained a full battery in under 24 hours of idle on 6-28. Even tried rebooting to fix the leak. Continued losing 3 - 4 percent per hour of idle.

Load 6-29 yesterday evening, surf for a good 30 minutes, and at 8:00 o'clock AM (about 14 hours since recharge) it's sitting at 82 percent.

Both times I cleared the two caches when installing. So I don't know what the issue was, just glad it seems to be gone again.

Rorschach

aaaaaaaand brik'd.

I heard the notification message last night. Went to go check it out and... nothing. Screen wouldn't come on. It's completely unresponsive. I don't know if it's the updates I applied yesterday or what. Oh well, had a good run, but I wish I had it for my train ride tonight. :<

dream

Weird, 1-D_FTW - I've been installing the nightlies for funsies and the battery drain has been absolutely disgusting, even on the 6/29 build.

mclaren777

It's extremely simple. Just download the latest Nightly zip, reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery, wipe the cache, and then choose the install from ZIP option and find the file you just downloaded.

You lost me after the bolded section.

I just followed these instructions and everything worked well, but I'll probably need a similar level of clarity to upgrade to the nightlies.

mclaren777

I already download that file, but I don't know what to do with it.

What is ClockworkMod Recovery? Is that something I already have or something I need to get. And how do I wipe the cache? Is that done from the Touchpad or from my PC?

kharma45

I already download that file, but I don't know what to do with it.

What is ClockworkMod Recovery? Is that something I already have or something I need to get. And how do I wipe the cache? Is that done from the Touchpad or from my PC?

Didn't read your post correctly, sorry.

Not sure where you're going wrong, that link explains it pretty well.

Clockwork will only be installed once you get all the DOS stuff done, what was explained to you up there was someone presuming you already had Android.

mclaren777

I just installed ICS for the first time this afternoon and I followed the instructions from that link. It didn't mention anything about ClockworkMod or wiping the cache, so I have no idea what that stuff means.

If someone does help me get a newer version of ICS, they're going to have to explain it very clearly.

kharma45

Ignore what gokieks posted, since this is your first install of Android you don't need to worry about stuff like wiping the cache as this is your first install of Android, you'll only need to do that if you flash another ROM.

If you used the latest nightly then you've not much else to do but use it.

kharma45

The build that came with the suggested package was from March. It's probably far from being current.

Well download that zip that I posted, copy it over to your Touchpad, reboot into recovery, make a back-up, flash the ROM and the latest Google Apps, wipe cache and dalvik, then reboot.

Latest Google Apps are here http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip although the site seems to be having problems at the minute.

mclaren777

Why can't I just install a new version over the old one? Theoretically, couldn't I just follow the same steps as before, but with fresher builds?

Just use the latest nightly, the latest Gapps, and possibly a newer version of whatever that bottom file is?

iFmroEt7nssLJ.jpg

SRG01

Why can't I just install a new version over the old one? Theoretically, couldn't I just follow the same steps as before, but with fresher builds?

Just use the latest nightly, the latest Gapps, and possibly a newer version of whatever that bottom file is?

iFmroEt7nssLJ.jpg

Of course. All you have to do is download the zip, then use recovery to install the latest zips.

gokieks

OK, I'll make a step-by-step list of instructions for updating ICS solely through the TouchPad (assuming you already have an install of ICS along with associated programs (Moboot and ClockworkMod Recovery, which you should):

1. Download the latest release from CyanogenMod Downloads. All releases are currently nightly, but there probably will be release candidate versions soon (CM9 RC releases has appeared for other devices recently). By default, the ICS Browser saves it to the Download folder. If you use another browser or manually changed the download location, this may be different.

2. Reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery. You should be able to do this by holding down the power button until the options appear, then choosing Reboot -> Recovery.

3. Once in CWM Recovery, use the volume buttons to choose the "wipe cache partition" option and the home button to select it. Confirm by selecting "Yes - Wipe Cache".

4. Select "advanced", and then "Wipe Dalvik Cache". Confirm.

5. Go back to main menu in CWM Recovery and select "install zip from sdcard" -> "choose zip from sdcard". Then navigate to the download location in step 1 and select the ZIP file downloaded. Confirm the install.

6. Go back to main menu and choose "reboot system now". The tablet should reboot into ICS, and you should then have the latest version.

The same process is used for basically everything CM9-related you might want to install (gapps, the wi-fi driver from a couple weeks ago, etc). You just choose the proper ZIP file.

If you download the ZIP file on your computer, the process is the same, you just have to copy the ZIP onto the TouchPad and choose the appropriate file.

kharma45

iFmroEt7nssLJ.jpg

You could use the steps from before but loading the nightly and Gapps onto your Touchpad and doing it through CWM is much easier and faster.

1-D_FTW

Weird, 1-D_FTW - I've been installing the nightlies for funsies and the battery drain has been absolutely disgusting, even on the 6/29 build.

This is just a real good build for me. Went 2.5 days before recharging. Second charge is holding just as good as the first too:)

iFmroEt7nssLJ.jpg

I just do what gokiecks listed. Download the file while surfing from the touchpad. And then follow those three things: wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache, and install from sdcard.

Kintaco

Does Google Chrome crash constantly for anyone else? I get a lot of graphical glitches with it and a lot of crashes to uh..."desktop."

1-D_FTW

Does Google Chrome crash constantly for anyone else? I get a lot of graphical glitches with it and a lot of crashes to uh..."desktop."

I've had one crash and some of those graphical glitches when scrolling. Haven't really used it much and the only reason I've experimented with it is because I like how the little mic button is right next to the toolbar.

mclaren777

The same process is used for basically everything CM9-related you might want to install (gapps, the wi-fi driver from a couple weeks ago, etc). You just choose the proper ZIP file.

Thanks. I just upgraded to the nightly but I have a question about upgrading Gapps.

Do I need to wipe both caches before updating, or can I just install a newer version of Gapps over the older one?

Kintaco

I've had one crash and some of those graphical glitches when scrolling. Haven't really used it much and the only reason I've experimented with it is because I like how the little mic button is right next to the toolbar.
What browser do you recommend?

gokieks

Thanks. I just upgraded to the nightly but I have a question about upgrading Gapps.

Do I need to wipe both caches before updating, or can I just install a newer version of Gapps over the older one?

I'd recommend wiping both caches before installing any updates just to be safe - there's no downsides to it anyway. And I haven't updated Gapps on ICS, but you should be able to just install it over the old one just like updating to a newer nightly.

So i've been lazy and haven't updated to a new nightly since the one from april 30, which I believe was before the new wifi driver people were flashing a while back. Do I still need to flash that if i'm updating to the newest nightly? I'm not even sure what the new wifi driver is supposed to fix, my wifi seems to be working fine anyway

Top Bottom