• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Vinci

Danish
I might very well eventually switch over to Honeycomb on this thing once it's available, but webOS is a fucking terrific OS to use, IMO. I loved it on my Palm and I love it even more on this.

Argyle

ReconYoda said:
Im so confused, what phone app is is it talking about in the OP in regards to the speed tweak.

The speed tweak or Skype?

You can add your Skype account to the TouchPad and then you can use the phone app to place phone calls (Skype charges will apply if you're dialing a regular phone #, though)...

gate777

Soka said:
Thanks, will try that next time.

I feel the same about the PDF reader. The standard one works fine for what I read (short publications usually between 10-25 pages) but I couldn't imagine using it for large books.

Main page = no, once I'm in a specific article (such as "Disruptive") it works just fine.

Traced-Velocity said:
Yeah, reading my Uni textbooks is so frustrating. It lacks even the ability to jump to a specific page, so when I have to scroll through hundreds of pages by flicking the screen repeatedly, it's so irritating.

To both of you above:

The built in PDF reader DOES have a jump to page option. Top right once you're in a pdf there's a button with the number 1 on it; tap it and you get to select a page.

Also on the top right, beside the printer button, is another button that looks like a square with horizontal lines through it; tap it and a page by page preview comes up to select.

If neither of you can see that toolbar, simply tap once on the screen to bring it up/hide it.
Only downside to it is that you can't save your place if reading a book. Easy way to counter that:

Download calibre for your PC, covert PDF to ebook format; use preader to read it on the touchpad.

Seriously people, just explore the options.....it's not that hard.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Preware was really easy to install. I did just one tweak so far, the one to speed up the card animations, and its noticeably quicker.

gate777

^
Yes they do, but only the non-fitted ones. Any slide-in pouch/case will work since the touchpad is the exact same dimensions as the ipad1

Avoid form-fitted cases since the ipad cut-outs do not match the touchpad cut-outs.

Petrie

Banned
So for me this thing is already fitting my needs, but my g/f has slightly different wants, and I'm hoping you guys can tell me how well it'll fit them. She wants to use this for some school stuff, hoping for some kind of Office support, especially powerpoint. Her lectures are on there, and she would like to be able to use it for them. Anything in addition would just be gravy.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Seems like my friend's 32g got backordered by best buy while my 32g shipped today. And we ordered around the sometime

railGUN

Banned
Petrie said:
So for me this thing is already fitting my needs, but my g/f has slightly different wants, and I'm hoping you guys can tell me how well it'll fit them. She wants to use this for some school stuff, hoping for some kind of Office support, especially powerpoint. Her lectures are on there, and she would like to be able to use it for them. Anything in addition would just be gravy.

I believe it supports a bunch of Office formats, using the app "Quickoffice", which is a pre-installed app. I don't know what it would do with a powerpoint file, but put it on the device and see what happens when you open it with the app.

antonz

railGUN said:
I believe it supports a bunch of Office formats, using the app "Quickoffice", which is a pre-installed app. I don't know what it would do with a powerpoint file, but put it on the device and see what happens when you open it with the app.
Quickoffice is supposed to get an update to make editing files possible but right now I think its viewer only

gate777

Petrie said:

As mentioned before me, Quickoffice supports native word, excel and powerpoint. It's built in to the OS and is a viewer only at the moment. Quickoffice will be releasing
hopefully!
an update to edit and create word and excel sometime in October.

PowerPoint files show up just fine.

LCfiner

mf.luder said:
Hmmm, this eBook situation is not pleasing me. Kindle doesn't seem to like my epubs.

you need to convert epub to a Kindle compatible format (.mobi, I believe) on your desktop machine.

mojiimbo

The TouchPad Kindle app officially lets you sideload .mobi ebooks? Not sure when it was posted but I saw a big rant on how much of a nuisance it was to load in DRM free books by copying them to the directory and renaming them after an existing book or something. It took them a while to finally officially add that even to the iOS version.

LCfiner

mojiimbo said:
The TouchPad Kindle app officially lets you sideload .mobi ebooks? Not sure when it was posted but I saw a big rant on how much of a nuisance it was to load in DRM free books by copying them to the directory and renaming them after an exiting book or something. It took them a while to finally officially add that even to the iOS version.

not sure. I just know that Kindle, in general, doesn't like epub.

anyone looking to use this as an ereader needs to do some googling to see what all the limits are at present.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Anyone find that the TouchPad can be a little unresponsive of swipes or flicks?

I am often having to swipe more than once when I want to scroll on a page or close an app.

Is there something I can install using preware to improve that?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, WebOS hangs up at times, its really random. Also, Kalemsoft media player is garbage. Nothing plays right. My dreams of just dropping my video files in there are slowly fading. I wanted to avoid the hassle of converting all my files, but that is probably inevitable now if I want to do any sort of video watching. :(

Bowser

Is anyone else having trouble installing the OTA update? I don't know if the servers are getting slammed or what, but I get to dl a bit and keep having to restart with an "Unable to connect. Try again later." message. I got it unpacked all the way once, but when I checked Device Info, I'm still on 3.0.0. WTF?

Recon

Banned
Bowser said:
Is anyone else having trouble installing the OTA update? I don't know if the servers are getting slammed or what, but I get to dl a bit and keep having to restart with an "Unable to connect. Try again later." message. I got it unpacked all the way once, but when I checked Device Info, I'm still on 3.0.0. WTF?

It took me about 3 hours to finally get it done. Just be patient, it takes a fuck long time.

Apath

VanMardigan said:
Yeah, WebOS hangs up at times, its really random. Also, Kalemsoft media player is garbage. Nothing plays right. My dreams of just dropping my video files in there are slowly fading. I wanted to avoid the hassle of converting all my files, but that is probably inevitable now if I want to do any sort of video watching. :(
Same. And apparently it requires an internet connection to work. Total crap and thank God I didn't drop eight bucks on this -_-

Recon

Banned
Kenak said:
Same. And apparently it requires an internet connection to work. Total crap and thank God I didn't drop eight bucks on this -_-

What format do video files need to be to play right?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
ReconYoda said:
What format do video files need to be to play right?
I haven't done any video re-encoding since the PSP launched, but I'm pretty sure you can use Handbrake to convert anything into MP4 and it should work.

CyReN

SNES Emulator on their market is free btw. Zombies at my Neighbors, Super Metroid, Zelda : link to the past are going to own me for the next couple days.

Petrie

Banned
So what's going to be the easiest way to stream the files on my home network? Mostly mkv and avi files. I use Tversity with my PC, and heard that's an option, but what's going to be best/easiest?

Vinci

Danish
I've seen others mention this, but to confirm: I will eventually be able to update to 3.0.2, yes? Just have to keep trying? That's fine. I'd be massively pissed if HP, at some point soon, decided to ditch the update support.

jgkspsx

Unsolicited game recommendations:

If you've ever liked a sliding block puzzle, you have to try Quell. Music and graphics are very soothing but not crappy.

Also, Woodenigma is totally without extras, but is an extremely awesome and incredibly content-packed game, and it's FREE. It might only run in the emulator window, but give it a chance anyway.

TheExodu5

Banned
user_nat said:
Anyone find that the TouchPad can be a little unresponsive of swipes or flicks?

I am often having to swipe more than once when I want to scroll on a page or close an app.

Is there something I can install using preware to improve that?

Yes. Follow the link in the OP for tweaks. There's a sensitivity patch.

Bowser

Vinci said:
I've seen others mention this, but to confirm: I will eventually be able to update to 3.0.2, yes? Just have to keep trying? That's fine. I'd be massively pissed if HP, at some point soon, decided to ditch the update support.

Yeah, I finally got the update to install. Took roughly 3 hours.

Is anyone else on a Mac having trouble installing the WebOSQuickInstall file? Whenever I try to install the Novacom driver, I just get an "Installation Failed" in the Mac dialog box, but the JAR file says "Driver Install Complete." However, the TouchPad is never recognized by the software. Anyone figure out how to get around this? I'm running the latest version of Lion.

user_nat

TheExodu5 said:
Yes. Follow the link in the OP for tweaks. There's a sensitivity patch.
Yeah. Already tried that.

Didn't actually notice much difference in performance or scrolling after making those tweaks.

Also.. one of the things listed in that link is "Make It So". What does it actually do?

TheExodu5

Banned
user_nat said:
Yeah. Already tried that.

Didn't actually notice much difference in performance or scrolling after making those tweaks.

Might be defective then? Scrolling is perfect on mine. No different than an iPad, really. Maybe you're screwing up the gestures?

How are you wiping the apps? You swiping them up or down?

user_nat said:
Also.. one of the things listed in that link is "Make It So". What does it actually do?

The "Just Type..." in the search bar becomes "Make It So...". Why wouldn't you want to do that? :)

user_nat

TheExodu5 said:
Might be defective then? Scrolling is perfect on mine. No different than an iPad, really. Maybe you're screwing up the gestures?

How are you wiping the apps? You swiping them up or down?
Swiping the same way I do on my iPad and phone (WP7). Mostly upwards swipes that seem to fail. It seems to work fine when I swipe slower or with more force, but fast light swipes are hit and miss.

My box still says "Just Type".. weird.

user_nat

Removing tap ripple was the one change I really did notice.

So much better without it.

Saw this today:
tL2yz.jpg

Walked in the store and sure enough the day it dropped to $99 they sold everything.

user_nat

Soka said:
Wait, so you literally notice a performance boost with it removed? Interesting...
Well.. maybe not literally. It just feels better without it.

If it were faster it would only be milli seconds of difference.

Apath

Comicshelf HD works flawlessly, save for the annoying interface that you apparently cannot hide and blocks the top and bottom of the page being viewed.

Top Bottom