• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Ashhong

Hmm I tried the wifi setting to keep wifi on only when plugged in, and it almost works....its just that when I turn the screen back on it says my network is out of range and i have to toggle wifi off and on lol. Guess I'll live with the wifi on. I need to learn to turn off the tablet when not in use.

sfedai0

Banned
Nah, this early build is pretty damn stable. It's worth it for the browsing alone. Though perhaps I'm still learning my way around the Android OS, I still miss certain elements of WebOS. And that includes similar apps on both OS, where the layout and UI seems better on WebOS like Zinio or Reddit.

Ashhong

I do not like how much wasted space there is on the home screen. There is like a full inch of space between the edge of the screen and the edge of my widget. What the hell? Usually I change the DPI to make everything smaller but it doesn't work too nicely with ICS.

sfedai0

Banned
I noticed that too. Very inefficient and also, why arent pics able to display using the entirety of the screen? There is always like 1/2 border between all sides of the screen, and the visiual quality is inferior to WebOS stock photo viewer. Ive tried a variety of photo apps and havent found one I really liked.

Than again, this is a very early build so Im definitely going to cut some slack.

dream

Can someone check if the Calendar app is pulling in events from Google Calendar? Mine isn't and I'm baffled.

SRG01

OMG the home button notification light blinks on my tablet. It never did that in WebOS! Either that, or I must've been blind.

reKon

Banned
When they said video wasn't working I thought they meant any type of video. So far mx is playing everything flawlessly. I watched Dexter on this last night. The browser is really nice and it's smooth. The only bugs I've encountered was that the browser would randomly crash and kick me out, but that has barely happened. This build is stable for sure and performs much better than alpha 3.5. Makes me actually want to use a tablet now since I have all my apps and it mirrors my phone, only it's bigger (but worse screen)

Ashhong

How does one change the the DPI and is there any negatives from doing it?

Simply download DPI changer from the market.

There usually aren't any in all of my other Android devices, but it doesn't work too well with the TP. The homescreen gets weird. Icons can be placed off the screen so you can't touch them. I need to test a lot of different DPI to see whats best though.

A big downside is that the market will sometimes say your device is not compatible with an item if you have a non-standard DPI (120, 160, 240). There's a hacked market that works sometimes, an app in the market that will permanently fix it for 3$ or so, or you can change the DPI back to normal anytime you want to check to make sure you have all of your updates.

Having more space on the screen is a huge benefit though. Even compared to the CM7 3.5 I feel like there is so much less fitting on the screen.

Also, tried watching a 1080p video captured from my Galaxy S2, and it lags on the touchpad and also sound cuts out. I have better video quality when streaming it using Splashtop from my desktop lol.

Simply download DPI changer from the market.

There usually aren't any in all of my other Android devices, but it doesn't work too well with the TP. The homescreen gets weird. Icons can be placed off the screen so you can't touch them. I need to test a lot of different DPI to see whats best though.

A big downside is that the market will sometimes say your device is not compatible with an item if you have a non-standard DPI (120, 160, 240). There's a hacked market that works sometimes, an app in the market that will permanently fix it for 3$ or so, or you can change the DPI back to normal anytime you want to check to make sure you have all of your updates.

Having more space on the screen is a huge benefit though. Even compared to the CM7 3.5 I feel like there is so much less fitting on the screen.

132dpi + Nova Launcher with a 10x10 grid is perfect.

Ashhong

I'll check that out, thanks. But with Nova launcher, it doesnt seem to make the app drawer bigger. I remember it not taking up the entire screen, while the stock launcher does.

Also, do you get a dock with your Nova launcher?

Kintaco

Anyone else getting graphical corruption? I get graphical corruption fairly often and the only way to fix it that I know of is to reboot the TouchPad.

pje122

So I installed it pretty easily, but don't really like the default skin/look of it. Am I able to install different themes or anything like that?

Nova Launcher is pretty awesome, are they ever gonna be able to get the widgets to show up in the app drawer?

Also, there seems to be some weird glitch going on where the full app icon and labels aren't being displayed on the homescreen..

kharma45

Antutu CPU master seemed to work for me, was able to set it to ~1.8Ghz but didn't do much testing as I'm fine with stock.

SetCPU works fine for me. I can go up to the max (~1.78 GHz) with no problems.

Cheers for the tips. Both seem kind of unstable, Antutu gave me graphical glitches and SetCPU seems to crash the TouchPad and force it to reboot when in the app at times.

I've it set at 1.5GHz for now to see how it goes.

Ashhong

Oh cool somehow the appdrawer in Nova Launcher fixed itself. 132 DPI makes this look MUCH better. Everyone should do this.

My labels are also not working, however widgets in the app drawer works. Go to Nova Settings->drawer and activate it. It requires root, so its an option.

My full app icon is showing for me.

When they said video wasn't working I thought they meant any type of video. So far mx is playing everything flawlessly. I watched Dexter on this last night. The browser is really nice and it's smooth. The only bugs I've encountered was that the browser would randomly crash and kick me out, but that has barely happened. This build is stable for sure and performs much better than alpha 3.5. Makes me actually want to use a tablet now since I have all my apps and it mirrors my phone, only it's bigger (but worse screen)

what's MX? I can't get any videos in the browser to work.

elty

Is there anyway to get back the dock and add more tab to the drawer?

132 dpi looks much better, except the gigantic keyboard and market incompatibility.

Just installed ICS. Loving it so far, this is my first experience with Android.

Are there any quick guides out there? Must have apps, etc?

The list of must-have apps for Android is a mile long. Fortunately we have a thread for that in OT.

Flash does not work if it tries to connect to the hardware acceleration API. On my TP this results in an immediate reboot of the tablet. For now I have disabled Flash in the browser until this is fixed. Similarly, Youtube won't work in the browser, but it will work if you use the Youtube app and turn HD off, this disables hardware acceleration.

Ashhong

Is there anyway to get back the dock and add more tab to the drawer?

132 dpi looks much better, except the gigantic keyboard and market incompatibility.

I dont know where the dock is, and nobody will reply when I ask lol. What kind of tabs in the drawer?

Get Thumb Keyboard, it's great. Also try downloading various ICS keyboards from the market. They might scale to the DPI better.

Follow these instructions to get a compatible market.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=20623581&postcount=10

You will have to clear the data in the applications menu once in a while though.

1-D_FTW

Screw it. I'm going to install ICS on mine. Got a HMZ-T1 arriving tomorrow, and something tells me I'll be spending a week tweaking that. So I want to get this thing up and running while I have nothing better to do.

EDIT: Or not. The ACMEInstaller2 wouldn't extract. And when I went to redownload it, the goo-inside.me.com links wouldn't load.

2ND EDIT: Guess it just wasn't meant to be. Try again some other time.

I dont know where the dock is, and nobody will reply when I ask lol. What kind of tabs in the drawer?

Get Thumb Keyboard, it's great. Also try downloading various ICS keyboards from the market. They might scale to the DPI better.

Follow these instructions to get a compatible market.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=20623581&postcount=10

You will have to clear the data in the applications menu once in a while though.

The Dock doesn't appear when the Launcher is in Tablet Form. Not sure anyone has worked around that yet.

Toby

Screw it. I'm going to install ICS on mine. Got a HMZ-T1 arriving tomorrow, and something tells me I'll be spending a week tweaking that. So I want to get this thing up and running while I have nothing better to do.

EDIT: Or not. The ACMEInstaller2 wouldn't extract. And when I went to redownload it, the goo-inside.me.com links wouldn't load.

2ND EDIT: Guess it just wasn't meant to be. Try again some other time.

If the ACMEInstaller2 file you got was some plain file that didn't have an extension (you had to manually open it with an extractor), that is the file you are supposed to use. Just simply dump it in the Palm/SDK/bin folder, novacom will know how to interact with it.
TBH, I tried extracting it at first too, as the original ACMEInstaller I downloaded came zipped

1-D_FTW

If the ACMEInstaller2 file you got was some plain file that didn't have an extension (you had to manually open it with an extractor), that is the file you are supposed to use. Just simply dump it in the Palm/SDK/bin folder, novacom will know how to interact with it.
TBH, I tried extracting it at first too, as the original ACMEInstaller I downloaded came zipped

Oh, cool. Thanks. I'll give it another go when I get done eating lunch.

1-D_FTW

Ugh. So I installed and was really impressed, but decided to tweak some things. I set disable System Notifications thinking it was just controlling the blinking LED light. Immediately after selecting that, my tablet is borked.

Every 5 seconds a "Unfortunately, System UI has stopped" pop-up flashes onto the screen and I have to hit OK.

It won't stop. Every five seconds it pops back up. Tried restarting. Does anyone know where the system notification option is? Maybe if I could turn it back on, this would stop.

Top Bottom