• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

about to install,ICS but I am worried that I will lose all the files I have uploaded to the webOS partition,is there anything I need to do to make sure my files don't get deleted and are viewable in android and webOS

1-D_FTW

So I charged mine up to 97 percent and then let it sit in sleep mode for a couple hours. Was still 97 percent when I woke it up. If that wasn't a fluke, I'll be extremely happy.

Oh, and Super Stick Man Golf on a tablet is pretty awesome.

about to install,ICS but I am worried that I will lose all the files I have uploaded to the webOS partition,is there anything I need to do to make sure my files don't get deleted and are viewable in android and webOS

Had like 12GB worth of music that's there and now available in ICS. Not sure if that helps you any. Did nothing.

freshair

So you're coming from a clean TP (no previous android installation)?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but all your files should be intact when putting Android on your TP, except for one folder. It was either the 'media' or 'download(s)' folder where when installing Android, it'll wipe everything inside there.

So once you move anything inside those folders to a different folder that you want to retain, it shouldn't be wiped.

[edit] If you're not coming from a clean TP and instead updating from CM7, then just follow the instructions and flash via ACMEinstaller2. I didn't wipe the cache or dalvik, just flashed it and everything remained in tact. Nothing was missing or deleted and all is working.

So you're coming from a clean TP (no previous android installation)?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but all your files should be intact when putting Android on your TP, except for one folder. It was either the 'media' or 'download(s)' folder where when installing Android, it'll wipe everything inside there.

So once you move anything inside those folders to a different folder that you want to retain, it shouldn't be wiped.

[edit] If you're not coming from a clean TP and instead updating from CM7, then just follow the instructions and flash via ACMEinstaller2. I didn't wipe the cache or dalvik, just flashed it and everything remained in tact. Nothing was missing or deleted and all is working.

Damnit, its a clean TP install, I wish I had waited 4 minutes because after reading 1-D's post I started the process, its currently in the install process. I just hope I am wrong and that the data is still available

Ecto311

Does ICS let you play movie files? I have the kamelsoft (sp?) and it works well but i wanna get ics but not lose the video playback of local files on the touchpad.

SRG01

Hm. Is anyone having streaming problems? I tried loading some trailers/etc on sites other than youtube and it's de-synced.

This is how mine currently looks.

xB9h3.png

Page 2:
xeGqG.png

And page 3 just has shortcuts.

ICS CM9 + GO Launcher with transparency theme. Quite happy with how it all works and looks.

Damn, that's gorgeous man.

pje122

For several apps I look up on the app store, such as Box.net or Splashtop, I get the following message:

Your device isn't compatible with this item

What's the deal here?

reKon

Banned
Imgur for Android owns. I can't believe how much more useful this tablet has become just from this ics upgrade... and all the shit doesn't even work yet lol. Best $90 I've ever spent maybe? Anyways, I haven't done too much with the look here. Battery life has been pretty good and I don't think it has changed much from gingerbread, which was also good for me. I would forget that it was on and just get days of stand by.

TA1CUl.png

Playing with this tablet is really making me consider buying that rumored ultra high res Samung tablet that's supposed to come out over the iPad 3.

For several apps I look up on the app store, such as Box.net or Splashtop, I get the following message:

Your device isn't compatible with this item

What's the deal here?

Did you change your DPI? Apparently, quite a few apps have trouble installing on different DPIs...

The default, 160 DPI, is not ideal for the Touchpad (menu bar is too big, etc.) but it's the most compatible with the Market.

So, it seems the Android scene is going pretty well? I picked up a 16GB TouchPad the 2nd day of the firesales for $99 and have been rocking WebOS ever since; it works for what I need... but, obviously Android is much better. I'm thinking it might be time to jump onboard the Android train.

Ashhong

Did you change your DPI? Apparently, quite a few apps have trouble installing on different DPIs...

The default, 160 DPI, is not ideal for the Touchpad (menu bar is too big, etc.) but it's the most compatible with the Market.

I have posted the market fix a few times on here...someone find it I'm playing starcraft.

IMACOMPUTA

I haven't done much on this thing since i installed ICS, but so far i've been having some problems with the browser.

If i go to HRBLOCK.com the browser just closes itself, no warnings or errors or anything.

Also, techbargains.com loads, and then displays a white screen and becomes unresponsive.

hmm.

Other than that, things have worked pretty decently. I've had some trouble playing embedded flash videos, but that could be related to something else.. I dunno.

Having huge problems with LogCat right now. For some reason, the message "Got a short QLOG message" floods Logcat. It'll sometimes literally post that message over 9,000 10,000 times within a second. As a result, any useful messages (like why my app is crashing) can't even be seen because it only displays the first 5,000 messages or so.

By the way, if you're a developer and want adb drivers for ICS on the Touchpad, you need to download the official Google USB drivers, then edit the winusb.ini file. You'll see a section that starts like this:

[Google.NTx86]

and a section that starts like this:

[Google.NTamd64]

Under both of those sections, paste the following:

Code:
;HP Touchpad CM9
%SingleAdbInterface%	 = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_6860
%CompositeAdbInterface%	 = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_6860&MI_01

Then install the driver normally.

(Source for that info)

1-D_FTW

Anyone ever have their touchscreen disabled upon waking? Everything was working, but because the touchpad wasn't responsive, couldn't do anything. Finally had to give up and hold the power/select buttons down for 15 seconds and do a recovery boot.

Was pretty pleased with the standby power drain during the night, but having the touchpad go dead is kind of a problem. Don't want to have to do a recovery reboot every time it sleeps for an extended period.

Anyone ever have their touchscreen disabled upon waking? Everything was working, but because the touchpad wasn't responsive, couldn't do anything. Finally had to give up and hold the power/select buttons down for 15 seconds and do a recovery boot.

It was a known issue with CM7 I believe, never happened to me though. And most CM7 issues carried over to CM9 since a lot if the time they're driver issues.

Also Bricked Kernel has been updated with the fix for the apps that were causing reboots. Just flashed it there and Photoshop works fine now.

@Good Job Bob - Vibration works fine for me, was actually one of the first things I turned off though lol.

1-D_FTW

It was a known issue with CM7 I believe, never happened to me though. And most CM7 issues carried over to CM9 since a lot if the time they're driver issues.

Also Bricked Kernel has been updated with the fix for the apps that were causing reboots. Just flashed it there and Photoshop works fine now.

@Good Job Bob - Vibration works fine for me, was actually one of the first things I turned off though lol

Do you know if they ever had a fix for it?

I disabled the vibration when typing. Figured it couldn't be great for battery life to have the thing vibrate every time you typed a letter.

EDIT: Just read through the issues thread at rootzwiki and it seems quite a few people have had this issue. Guess there isn't a fix. Hopefully the open sourced nature will allow better success this time.

0OoO0

So I'm taking my hp touchpad (with webos) overseas for 3 months. I'm planning to take lots of photos stored in a sd card. Was wondering is there a way to transfer these photos into my touchpad without needing a computer/laptop?

I'm tempted to install ICS.

But at the same time, I want to call HP tomorrow about the crack in my TouchPad that's gotten worse...

Let me know how that works for you. I have speaker cra kling, recessed home button and the frame by the speaker coming off.

Re: CM9. I tried dailymotion and videos wouldn't work at all.

I hope they release a CM9 beta with the video, camera and mic fixed. It would be perfect for me then.

Owzers

The top left of my touchpad screen casing seems to be slightly raised like it's lifting up from the base. Anyone else have this problem? Should i contact customer service?

Are Wifi issues pretty much commonplace? Every day I have o battle the system to connect to my Wifi network. Usually multiple reboots and forgetting /reentering passwords.

cbox

The top left of my touchpad screen casing seems to be slightly raised like it's lifting up from the base. Anyone else have this problem? Should i contact customer service?

Mine does this near the button on the bottom, and my volume buttons move when I shake the touchpad. Not sure if I should contact them either, or just put up with it.

elty

I install some market fix that should allow me to see all apps regardless of DPI. What are some known apps that won't install at 132 DPI so I can test it?

pje122

I install some market fix that should allow me to see all apps regardless of DPI. What are some known apps that won't install at 132 DPI so I can test it?

Perfect Viewer, Box(.net?), Splashtop

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34467110&postcount=4942

Supposedly a compatible DPI has been hardcoded directly in the market apk so regardless of what you're actual DPI is set to, you should be able to dl/install anything.

Thank you.

Edit: Those instructions refer to Root Explorer. Can anyone recommend another file manager app that is free?

Strange, I've changed the DPI to 132 and the market hasn't bugged out on me.

---

Am I the only one who finds ICS to be a better tablet OS than a smartphone OS? I've played with ICS on phones and couldn't be bothered with it, but it really shines on the Touchpad (and tablets by association), even this early state.

Can't wait for better battery management (oh, and video).

Peagles

Can some nice person kindly provide me with the most up to date links to a good guide and ICS files I need for install? I've been solely on WebOS since the beginning and purposefully held off for ICS, and it seems like there's some older stuff out there that isn't ICS that I won't want to install, but I don't have the know-how to distinguish the various guides and versions.

Thanks in advance!

knee

Can some nice person kindly provide me with the most up to date links to a good guide and ICS files I need for install? I've been solely on WebOS since the beginning and purposefully held off for ICS, and it seems like there's some older stuff out there that isn't ICS that I won't want to install, but I don't have the know-how to distinguish the various guides and versions.

Thanks in advance!

^ I second that.

I'm starting with a brand new, unopened 32GB Touchpad. I'm not sure if the methods in the OP are most up to date, but I'd like to get ICS running on it as well as keeping webOS.

Thanks for any and all help.

Damn these screenshots you guys took are sexy. Looks like a HUGE step up from CM7.

I think i'm going to wait a while for things to iron out before updating though. I'm actually excited now. XD

freshair

^ I second that.

I'm starting with a brand new, unopened 32GB Touchpad. I'm not sure if the methods in the OP are most up to date, but I'd like to get ICS running on it as well as keeping webOS.

Thanks for any and all help.

Download the files from this thread. You'll need ACMEInstaller2, Clockwork Recovery, moboot, the CM9 file, and the System UI/Charger fix.

Then follow this guide (it's using CM7, but just use the corresponding files you downloaded) http://reviewhorizon.com/2011/10/how-to-install-cyanogenmod-on-hp-touchpad/

When you get to step 2 and the 'cminstall' folder, you can also throw this in there too. It's Google Apps for ICS: http://www.multiupload.com/SV1MS2GH0I

There's not really a perfect/easiest tutorial (imo), so if you get stuck or something, just ask here and I'm sure someone can help you through it.

[edit] or check out the OP because it was just updated and that tutorial seems slicker/more visual. lol

Top Bottom