• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

elty

Ugh. So I installed and was really impressed, but decided to tweak some things. I set disable System Notifications thinking it was just controlling the blinking LED light. Immediately after selecting that, my tablet is borked.

Every 5 seconds a "Unfortunately, System UI has stopped" pop-up flashes onto the screen and I have to hit OK.

It won't stop. Every five seconds it pops back up. Tried restarting. Does anyone know where the system notification option is? Maybe if I could turn it back on, this would stop.

I thought there is a System UI fix somewhere.

Echoplx

Ugh. So I installed and was really impressed, but decided to tweak some things. I set disable System Notifications thinking it was just controlling the blinking LED light. Immediately after selecting that, my tablet is borked.

Every 5 seconds a "Unfortunately, System UI has stopped" pop-up flashes onto the screen and I have to hit OK.

It won't stop. Every five seconds it pops back up. Tried restarting. Does anyone know where the system notification option is? Maybe if I could turn it back on, this would stop.

Here

1-D_FTW

I thought there is a System UI fix somewhere.

I'm confused. I did download those and put them into my cminstall folder I created:

http://www.howtogeek.com/76960/how-to-install-android-on-your-hp-touchpad/

Shouldn't these have installed automatically? When I try and go to "BootClockworkMod" and manually select the install zip from sd card -- cm install -- Only gapps_ics is available to select.

Do I have to manually install those or should those fixes have automatically been compiled?

pje122

Manually.

Question - I helped my father install this on his Touchpad over the phone (that was interesting). Now he isn't able to connect to his home network. He is able to find the network but after he inputs the WEP key it never connects. Any ideas?

DJ_Tet

Banned
Are there a lot of manual fixes that need to be added to the ICS installation or are these random issues?

Also, can anyone confirm if the Mame and other emulators are working in ICS? That's my main android use besides Netflix and obviously the latter doesn't work yet.

1-D_FTW

Manually.

Question - I helped my father install this on his Touchpad over the phone (that was interesting). Now he isn't able to connect to his home network. He is able to find the network but after he inputs the WEP key it never connects. Any ideas?

Guess I threw it in with the other 3 that got automattically applied. That's why I had some failure messages during install. Got thrown out. I'm putting it back in the folder and will manually install it.

As for the TP and wireless, it seems very picky about routers. Best advice I can give (and I've used) is update your router to the latest firmware. This can sometimes get things to play nice with the TP's delicate sensibilities.

Ashhong

The only fix so far is the SystemUI/Charging fix, and its 1 file. The Gapps fix is not necessary if you install the V10 app file.

GBA emulator works perfectly, I don't have any others.

1-D FTW, you should see Gapps as well as the systemUI file. If you don't, double check to make sure the SystemUI file is still in the cminstall folder and manually install it in Clockwork mod again

edit: I see you figured that out. nvm!

DJ_Tet

Banned
Thanks for the input, I might give this a go tonight. Really enjoying reading the positive impressions, especially from people like me who weren't that impressed with the gingerbread interface vs the webOS. Sounds like ICS is a huge step up.

pje122

Guess I threw it in with the other 3 that got automattically applied. That's why I had some failure messages during install. Got thrown out. I'm putting it back in the folder and will manually install it.

As for the TP and wireless, it seems very picky about routers. Best advice I can give (and I've used) is update your router to the latest firmware. This can sometimes get things to play nice with the TP's delicate sensibilities.

But what if it worked fine with WebOS but only now has trouble with Android?

Ashhong

Did he install ICS from scratch? Try turning off security on the router momentarily, forgetting the network on the TP, and then reselect it. See if that makes it connect

Ashhong

What type of router? 192.168.1.1 usually works. Routerlogin.com also works for netgear routers

You know what, before that, I would reinstall CM9 if he hasn't spent any time customizing it and stuff. I assume you just installed it from scratch using ACMEinstaller2 right?

Place the CM9 file, Gapps v10, systemUI fixer file, all on the root directory of the TP
Boot to Clockworkmod
Select wipe data, wipe cache, then go into advanced and wipe dalvik cache.
Go to install zip from SD card and install CM9, gapps, systemUI fixer in that order
reboot and profit

pje122

What type of router? 192.168.1.1 usually works. Routerlogin.com also works for netgear routers

You know what, before that, I would reinstall CM9

It's a Verizon one of some sort. I don't really know as I'm half-way across the country. We tried admin/admin on his http://192.168.1.1/ screen and that didn't work...

Edit:
I assume you just installed it from scratch using ACMEinstaller2 right?
Yes.

Ashhong

Oh its one of those router/modem things? I'm not sure but it might have the login info underneath the router or on the side.

But yea, reinstall CM9 first. Should only take like 2 minutes.

keiichi

It's a Verizon one of some sort. I don't really know as I'm half-way across the country. We tried admin/admin on his http://192.168.1.1/ screen and that didn't work...

Edit:
I assume you just installed it from scratch using ACMEinstaller2 right?
Yes.

Try admin/password or leave blank/admin

Those are what I tried on an older Westell Verizon router.

pje122

Oh its one of those router/modem things? I'm not sure but it might have the login info underneath the router or on the side.

But yea, reinstall CM9 first. Should only take like 2 minutes.

Getting CM9 on the thing in the first place was a small triumph over the phone with my old man, you see... I don't know if I really want to go down this road you're describing. So you can reinstall it without hooking it up to the computer or using the ACMEInstaller2 or anything like that?

Also, I feel nervous about asking him to do anything over the phone that I haven't done myself (I did the CM9 install on my own Touchpad the night before I did it with him over the phone).

Edit: OK, I asked him to write up some notes. Maybe someone with a better networking background than me can help:

Dad said:
In Settings, turn W-FI on and it finds router: xxxxx, says: "Saved, secured with WEP"

Touch it, goes to screen to connect, says signal is 'Excellent', touch "Connect" , then goes back to "Saved, secured wity WEP"

However, no internet connection.

Internet connection does work using webOS

1-D_FTW

Wow. So it's definitely slick as can be.

Only reason I've never upgraded from WebOS before was I didn't like the whole broken battery situation. I like being able to have it sit and with minor usage be able to go a week without recharging.

Wow. So it's definitely slick as can be.

Only reason I've never upgraded from WebOS before was I didn't like the whole broken battery situation. I like being able to have it sit and with minor usage be able to go a week without recharging.

Standby time on WebOS is incredible. Hopefully they manage to get near that. Atm I just tend to boot back into WebOS if I know I'm not going to be using my TP for a few days. Now that the code is open sourced I'm sure someone will focus on improving battery life.

reKon

Banned
Getting CM9 on the thing in the first place was a small triumph over the phone with my old man, you see... I don't know if I really want to go down this road you're describing. So you can reinstall it without hooking it up to the computer or using the ACMEInstaller2 or anything like that?

Also, I feel nervous about asking him to do anything over the phone that I haven't done myself (I did the CM9 install on my own Touchpad the night before I did it with him over the phone).

Edit: OK, I asked him to write up some notes. Maybe someone with a better networking background than me can help:

This was happening to me yesterday. Try pressing on forget, then turn off the wifi, turn it back on, enter the password and try to connect. Repeating this eventually got me in and the wireless has been connected ever since.

1-D_FTW

Standby time on WebOS is incredible. Hopefully they manage to get near that. Atm I just tend to boot back into WebOS if I know I'm not going to be using my TP for a few days. Now that the code is open sourced I'm sure someone will focus on improving battery life.

I'm pretty sure I remember a thread at the rootzwiki forums where they were talking about not being able to address this until HP released the source code. It's why they wanted to get physical possession of a TP that was sold with Android installed.

They eventually did, but HP seems to still deny this existence and refuses to comply with the obligation to release the source code.

I guess I'll try and get in your habit of rebooting into WebOS, but that's such a pain.

pje122

This was happening to me yesterday. Try pressing on forget, then turn off the wifi, turn it back on, enter the password and try to connect. Repeating this eventually got me in and the wireless has been connected ever since.
Thanks so much. Even when you put it to sleep and when you reboot? Or do you have to keep inputting the password when you do those things?

reKon

Banned
Thanks so much. Even when you put it to sleep and when you reboot? Or do you have to keep inputting the password when you do those things?

I haven't tried rebooting since then. I'll let you know what happens with it later as I don't have the TP with me right now

DJ_Tet

Banned
Just installed CM9 with no loss of data

UFCo8.gif

elty

Dungeon Defender and World Cruise Story always force close on me :(

When you go to the app drawer, there are 2 tabs: App and Widgets. Is there any way to add more tabs?

So my girlfriend likes to monopolize my iPad 2, so I decided to load CM9 and WebOS 3.0.5 on her Touchpad.

It went pretty smoothly (except for the Novacom not being properly installed on my computer and not figuring why the executable wouldn't work).

I went through the app recommendation thread and got a few free apps. I do miss Street Fighter, KOF, Infinity Blade (but I still have an iPhone).

I hope they fix the wifi and other hardware issues in the official release or a beta.

Anyways, my question is has anyone sent their Touchpad in for repair. I noticed her home button being recessed and the plastic by the speaker grille coming off. Since I'm going to use this until the iPad 3 comes out, I might as well have it in tip top shape.

1-D_FTW

Okay. Aside from the whole battery issue, this is a ton better than I thought it would be.

If anyone's still on the fence, go for it. It's a real tablet. Although I do wish Zite was available on Android.

mclaren777

Listening to you guys talk about Android makes me think it's the Wild West.

With each passing month I become less interested in leaving WebOS.

Ashhong

Doing the reinstall process is even easier than the ACME install imo. There is nothing hard about it, just a few simple button presses.

Listening to you guys talk about Android makes me think it's the Wild West.

With each passing month I become less interested in leaving WebOS.

Because theres a few bugs? It's an alpha that was released like 1 week ago. This is so much better than WebOS its not even funny.

mclaren777

Because theres a few bugs? It's an alpha that was released like 1 week ago. This is so much better than WebOS its not even funny.

It's not the bugs – it's the MacGyver-ish sound of the things you're talking about. Searching the app store for new keyboard layouts or playing around with DPI settings so everything fits on the screen. It all sound so crazy that I can't imagine dealing with the hassle.

Stock WebOS works incredibly well for me and I can't see myself loading CM9 until mid-summer at the earliest (if ever).

marrec

Banned
It's not the bugs – it's the MacGyver-ish sound of the things you're talking about. Searching the app store for new keyboard layouts or playing around with DPI settings so everything fits on the screen. It all sound so crazy that I can't imagine dealing with the hassle.

Stock WebOS works incredibly well for me and I can't see myself loading CM9 until mid-summer at the earliest (if ever).

Give it some time and ICS will be just stable and easy as CM7 was/is. This is coming from a guy who likes WebOS better than CM7, so take it as you will.

Ashhong

The keyboard is for an improved layout, not because the stock one sucks. I would upgrade the keyboard on WebOS if I could.

Nothing wrong with the stock DPI, I just prefer to have more on the screen at once.

None of your complaints are valid. These are all customizations done because we choose to, not because we have to.

dabig2

It's really not that much different from Preware in WebOS. Just the homebrew community tweaking things to their liking.

dream

Yeah. My CM9 is, more or less, stock Android 4.0 and it's been fine for me. You don't have to tweak ICS unless you have a really compelling reason to.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Searching the app store for new keyboard layouts or playing around with DPI settings so everything fits on the screen. .

I haven't done any of those things. The keyboard on ICS is a million, kajilliion times better than the steaming pile of shit on WebOS. The browser is leagues better, the email client is several orders of magnitude better. The app selection is better (even phone apps look decent scaled up).....I can't see myself going back to WebOS, ICS is just way, way better in every way that matters. I miss the upswipe, but once I got used to the multitasking button, even that's a better solution.

Don't kid yourself, get ICS and see what this tablet's hardware is REALLY capable of.

This is how mine currently looks.

xB9h3.png

Page 2:
xeGqG.png

And page 3 just has shortcuts.

ICS CM9 + GO Launcher with transparency theme. Quite happy with how it all works and looks.

1-D_FTW

It's 2012. We don't have to pretend webOS is good anymore.

:lol

Funny because it's true.

The keyboard is for an improved layout, not because the stock one sucks. I would upgrade the keyboard on WebOS if I could.

I was really expecting the worst on that one. It honestly doesn't seem any bigger than the web os keyboard and is in some ways better. Although I think I will add the keyboard app and see if I like it better.

EDIT: 2.99? Eh, I'll pass. Not a big fan of split keyboards anyways.

Ashhong

:lol

Funny because it's true.

I was really expecting the worst on that one. It honestly doesn't seem any bigger than the web os keyboard and is in some ways better. Although I think I will add the keyboard app and see if I like it better.

EDIT: 2.99? Eh, I'll pass. Not a big fan of split keyboards anyways.

Ah, forgot the keyboard isnt free. I got it from Amazon App of the Day.

Metalmurphy, how is the app drawer in Go Launcher? Its just normal GB style right? I don't want to give up the fluidness and widgets of ICS launcher...

I just installed ICS, and I'm still getting that wireless saved connection bug. Installed using AcmeInstaller2, from CM7!

Wipe CM7 and install CM9 fresh and clean

No_Style

Are the Email & Calendar apps supposed to work? I installed Google Apps for ICS & the fixer, but no luck. I upgraded via ACMEInstaller2

Ashhong

Yes they are. Clean install! lol sorry if thats not what you want to hear, but I have read a lot of problems being fixed on Rootzwiki where that solves it

Metalmurphy, how is the app drawer in Go Launcher? Its just normal GB style right? I don't want to give up the fluidness and widgets of ICS launcher...
Some times it stutters when opening, but I think that also happens in the normal one, and it looks like this:

s2vRs.png

You can still use normal widgets btw.

Ashhong

Some times it stutters when opening, but I think that also happens in the normal one, and it looks like this:

s2vRs.png

You can still use normal widgets btw.

Hm, looks ok. After going to ICS though I dont think I want to return to the GB look. Will have to make do without a dock.

Top Bottom