• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Mercenaries 2: World in Flames Thread

DuckRacer

252px-Mercenaries_2_cover_art.jpg

Developer: Pandemic Studios (PC, X360, PS3), Pi Studios (PS2)
Publisher: EA
Platforms: PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC, PlayStation 2
Release Date: August 31st for NA, September 5th for EU, September 30th for Australia​

---

DESCRIPTION: (shamelessly ripped from Wikipedia)​
"The game features three confirmed playable characters, all from the original game: Jennifer Mui, Mattias Nilsson and Chris Jacobs.

"Mercenaries 2: World in Flames is set in August 2010. The story follows the player's hunt for Ramon Solano, a druglord who contracted the player's mercenary for a job then subsequently refused to pay and tried to kill him/her. Following a militaristic coup, Solano becomes the dictator of Venezuela. He uses his position to seize control of the country's oil supply, resulting in an international incident and distress among OPEC (in the game the oil company excavating in the region is called Universal Petroleum). Alongside Solano's Rebel Forces, a large portion of the Venezuelan army fiercely support the dictator's cause. The other rebel forces, in opposition to Solano, have risen under the name of the PLAV--the People's Liberation Army of Venezuela. Soon, numerous other factions join the fight for control of Venezuela's oil. Among them: The massive Universal Petroleum Corporation and its private military; the Rastafarian Pirates (the equivalent of the Russian Mafia from the original Mercenaries game); China's PLA; and the AN (Allied Nations--a less controversial pun on the UN). These six forces will inevitably form the backbone of a war to determine the fate of the country's oil supply.

"Betrayed, the player's mercenary will ally him/herself with any of the other factions to get even with Solano, and make some money along the way."

...OR, you can just ignore all that and blow things up with tanks attached to helicopters via tow cable. And you can also blow things up with nukes and other destructive weaponry! How awesome is this? So awesome.

---

MULTIPLAYER:

There's online-only (no split-screen!), two-player, drop-in drop-out co-op. (Jesus, how about I use some more dashes?) Due to technical issues, you must stay within half a kilometer of each other. Post your Xbox Live Gamertag or PlayStation ID in this thread if you want to play with others! I'll add them here.

Xbox Live:
DuckRacer1 (Duck)
CrustyNoob (Pimpbaa)
MaizeRage25 (MaizeRage25)
MaiPenRai (Len Dontree)
Peronthious (Peronthious)
MattsOnlyHope (DarkAngelYuna)
Hammer2424 (Hammer24)
huntersblades (Lonesome_Raod)
DJ Brannon (Brannon)
dorkimoe (dork)

PlayStation Network:
DenogginizerOS's Mercenaries 2: PSN Co-op Meet-Up Thread

---

MEDIA:

1zczgyc.jpg

eueaz9.jpg

2ur6lno.jpg

More here.

Click here to watch various videos.

IGN's Mercenaries 2 Launch Center

---

REVIEWS:

IGN – 7.9/10
1UP – B+
Eurogamer – 5/10
GameRevolution – B+

---

VARIOUS TIPS AND FYIS

Apparently, Mercenaries 2 is being sold (not shipped, for once!) this Sunday! According to notjackbauer, at least one mom n' pop store (that you will likely not shop at) is selling them early. Hopefully he'll post impressions and off-screen images in this thread. Be on the look-out for leaks.

madmook

Heh, still debating on which version(s) I should get. Guess I'm waiting for reviews.

I want a current-gen version (between the 360 and PC versions) and I'll bite on the PS2 version as long as it isn't a pile of turd.

Picking this up on the 360. Worst thing I heard about it is that you can't have R/L be accel/brake. I don't get why they use the buttons.

FFChris

newsguy said:
They really should have kept the original boxart.

They really should have.

It's a shame there is no split screen co-op, should be fun online, but I always prefer split-screen.

Sean

Banned
Duck said:
There's online-only (no split-screen!), two-player, drop-in drop-out co-op. (Jesus, how about I use some more dashes?) Due to technical issues, you must stay within half a kilometer of each other.

What?! First I've heard of this. That's kinda disappointing.

Linkzg said:
Picking this up on the 360. Worst thing I heard about it is that you can't have R/L be accel/brake. I don't get why they use the buttons.

Because Mercs1 on Xbox used X and A
....you need LT/RT for shooting (like when you get your super missle bike)

I just hope there's either Mattias original Mercs1 costume as an unlockable....or at least some sunglasses for him. Never understood why they removed them during development.....your in bright and sunny Venezuala!

Volcynika

I miiiiiiiiiiiight pick this up, not sure if I have the funds to get it right now though. Loved the first game so much.

Barso

Banned
the difference was that X and A were pressure sensitive on xbox but 360 controller buttons are not.
Sixaxis and dualshock3 are pressure sunsitive buttons so hopefully they utilise them unlike GTA4 when you used the standard control configuration.

AgentOtaku said:
Because Mercs1 on Xbox used X and A
....you need LT/RT for shooting (like when you get your super missle bike)

I just hope there's either Mattias original Mercs1 costume as an unlockable....or at least some sunglasses for him. Never understood why they removed them during development.....your in bright and sunny Venezuala!

And I still don't get why it couldn't just be RT/LT for driving with A/X for weapons. An option would have helped. Saints Row also defaulted with the buttons for driving, but they let you switch it around.

Also, 360 no longer has analog buttons.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
anddo0 said:
Oh no you didn't:D
I don't really understand the appeal of that song. I think its popularity is partly because the internet has helped to cultivate a culture that celebrates mediocrity.

The game on the other hand looks phenomenal.

saunderez

Linkzg said:
And I still don't get why it couldn't just be RT/LT for driving with A/X for weapons. An option would have helped.

Are we sure there isn't an option? Don't think I've played a game in a while that didn't have at least a couple of alternate control schemes.

Gekko87

Duck said:
VARIOUS TIPS AND FYIS

Apparently, Mercenaries 2 is being sold (not shipped, for once!) this Sunday! According to notjackbauer, at least one mom n' pop store (that you will likely not shop at) is selling them early. Hopefully he'll post impressions and off-screen images in this thread. Be on the look-out for leaks.
yeah when I went to pick up Disgaea at my gamestop, I reserved Mercs and he told me its going to be released this sunday. we're gonna have to wait and see.

Picked the game up tonight, haven't had time to play it due to Too Human and World of Warcraft. I plan to try it in a few hours though before bed. I wasn't planning on buying this, the commercial is bad, the box art is barf...but that grappling onto the helicopter video some how made me want it bad ><

newsguy

DarkAngelYuna said:
Picked the game up tonight, haven't had time to play it due to Too Human and World of Warcraft. I plan to try it in a few hours though before bed. I wasn't planning on buying this, the commercial is bad, the box art is barf...but that grappling onto the helicopter video some how made me want it bad ><

Screw both those games! Impressions!

raYne

DarkAngelYuna said:
Hmm.. Unless I'm mistaken, you're in NY aren't you?

If so, store location needed asap.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Nick Suttner approved!

(to be posted in every game thread)

okay lol i'll stop. probably checking this out.

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
I'll be playing on the ol' 360: GT = MaiPenRai.

I'll be happy with a co-opified rehash of the first Mercenaries, so anything beyond that will be a pleasant surprise. :)

Len Dontree said:
I'll be playing on the ol' 360: GT = MaiPenRai.

I'll be happy with a co-opified rehash of the first Mercenaries, so anything beyond that will be a pleasant surprise. :)

Same.

Are there any competitive multiplayer modes? 8v8 with an option to turn off some of the heavier ordinance sounds like it'd be awesome.

Chairhome

Duck said:
MULTIPLAYER:

There's online-only (no split-screen!), two-player, drop-in drop-out co-op. (Jesus, how about I use some more dashes?) Due to technical issues, you must stay within half a kilometer of each other.

Are you sure? As I pointed out in the other Mercs 2 thread, the EA store site has this quote:

ea said:
Co-op Multiplayer – Whether split-screen or online you no longer have to go it alone. Invite a friend to jump in and help you fight your way to the top.

Day. Effing. One. 360 here, GT = Peronthious I'll have to give my local store a call, but I doubt they'll have a copy before Gamestop; they normally get releases within a week, sometimes later.

if only to tide me over until Fallout 3 =P

A pity it's only 2 player, but it'll still be fun.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Duck said:
It was mentioned in the co-op video released a few days ago (it's on GameTrailers if you want to watch it).
Also here:

"No split screen co-op, I'm afraid. We really wanted to include it but as you suspected it became too challenging to include.

We haven't released any videos for co-op yet so something should be forthcoming soon. Beyond the obvious fun to be had playing the game with your buddy, one of the big things we worked on was getting the process of joining and leaving the game as fuss-free as possible. When you join or leave a game there's no switching to other modes or interrupting the other player - you just jump right in and jump out whenever you like. If he's a driving a tank, you'll jump into the gunner seat, for example." from Scott Warner himself

wayward archer said:
Same.

Are there any competitive multiplayer modes? 8v8 with an option to turn off some of the heavier ordinance sounds like it'd be awesome.
I think there's an option to turn friendly fire on (can someone confirm?). If there is an object in the game that is indestructible and can be carried by the player that might allow for some vehicle based capture the flag ala Return Fire.

edit: Actually, the spawn system might make that impossible, since your buddy re-spawns right next to you. If there is an option for fixed spawns at two separate areas it would be possible then. I expect to see a mod for this on the PC rather quickly.

Median

I'll most likely have a copy by Friday at the latest, a local store told me they might have it today but they unfortunately did not. Co-op's going to be amazing, I can't wait.

calder

Huh, futureshop.ca shows the stores have it in stock already. Might have to pick this up in the next few days.

Woo, gonna pop this in my 360 in about 10 minutes and have at least a hour of fun before I gotta go back to Wow. I've never played this series and had no interest in it until I saw some videos earlier today so I'm not expecting much. Just killing time until I get Tales tomorrow >< Gamertag is MattsOnlyHope but I dont really play any games online until I've finished SP. Watch my achievements though, lawl.

Sectus

Duck said:
Due to technical issues, you must stay within half a kilometer of each other.
wat?

I suppose it's not too surprising (there's already a ton of current gen games with online play which is unplayable with a ping higher than around 50), but has there been any real information about this? Or was that just a random joke?

Flunkie

Banned
I picked it up tonight from a local brick & mortar store, and I have one thing to say, right off the bat:

Unpolished as hell.

They seriously delayed it for this?

saunderez

Sectus said:
I suppose it's not too surprising (there's already a ton of current gen games with online play which is unplayable with a ping higher than around 50), but has there been any real information about this? Or was that just a random joke?

It makes sense. Everything is destructible and you'd be relaying destruction information for stuff on the other side of the map. It'd get really messy when you've got 1 character flying around in a chopper whilst the other is destroying buildings on the other side of the map.

Top Bottom