• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Mercenaries 2: World in Flames Thread

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Wow! These early impressions are not making me very happy. :( With so many games out now or on the horizon, I may put this one on the back burner and wait if it's really as bad as people are saying.
I have to agree. Back burner it goes for me until I hear more reviews.

Zenith

Banned
notjackbauer said:
I played it last night (PS3), and I'm enjoying it. Gameplay wise it's very similar to the first one- the biggest changes are L3 sprint and L1 zoom aim- almost functions as a lock on. You'll feel right at home.

People are right that a lot of the textures are pretty low-res, and I for one really miss euphoria. BUT I've barely scratched the surface of the game- no grappling hook, no helicopter, no real firepower. The big graphics test, for me, will be flying a helicopter over the jungle then decimating a city with a hail of missiles. Who cares about a splotchy wall texture when the point of the game is HUGE FUCKING EXPLOSIONS?

I think it's really fun- there's a lot of depth to the PMC aspect and the resources you need to collect. As with the first one, you can tell the designers are military nerds with the amount of details in the vehicles and weapons.

Other stuff- there's quite a lot of traffic on the street at all times, and there are a lot of firefights happening kind of randomly around. This was one of my favorite aspects of the original, and I'm glad to say they've ramped it up big time, it seems.

I think as I get into it (the game tells me I'm at 0%) I'll like it more and more. Mercs1 fans, have no fear!

can you tell me how it compares to Just Cause?

DenogginizerOS said:
I have to agree. Back burner it goes for me until I hear more reviews.
eh, these impressions are just vague bashing. No one bought the first one because of the mechanics or fucking texture (lol); it sold word of mouth because it was insane fun. Got it ealier today and all you need to know is it's STILL insane fun and has tight, stable co-op (very solid, no skips need to play more later) that makes it even more fun. LOL textures ffs how will I nuke that building is I can't tell if its brick or stucko.

to repeat
graphics- ?
sound - ?
controls - ?
replayability - ?
FUN - 10

BLOW SHIT UP!

Zenith said:
can you tell me how it compares to Just Cause?

sorry, never played just cause. A couple other things I thought of-

I was surprised by how awesome the music is! It really adds a lot, along with great sound effects. Also, the driving controls have been redone- it's still a little twitchy but feels much less boxy. I can't wait to get home and tear shit up!!

I'm with you BobTheFork. FUN!

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
BobTheFork said:
eh, these impressions are just vague bashing. No one bought the first one because of the mechanics or fucking texture (lol); it sold word of mouth because it was insane fun. Got it ealier today and all you need to know is it's STILL insane fun and has tight, stable co-op (very solid, no skips need to play more later) that makes it even more fun. LOL textures ffs how will I nuke that building is I can't tell if its brick or stucko.

to repeat
graphics- ?
sound - ?
controls - ?
replayability - ?
FUN - 10

BLOW SHIT UP!
LOL!

I just feel better when I am spending $60 and there are other games coming soon (Force Unleashed, NHL 09, Tiger) that I am budgeting for if there are good impressions. I trust your opinions so I will file them under the "good" category. I take it you got the PS3 version?

DenogginizerOS said:
LOL!

I just feel better when I am spending $60 and there are other games coming soon (Force Unleashed, NHL 09, Tiger) that I am budgeting for if there are good impressions. I trust your opinions so I will file them under the "good" category. I take it you got the PS3 version?
yes. I just got into it a few hours ago and I not saying 'best game ever' but yeah I can already tell it's lots of fun and I haven't even got the good weapons, vehicles and missions yet.

Edit: GreyFox, sandbox games don't usually get demos for a reason.

Scotch

BobTheFork said:
yes. I just got into it a few hours ago and I not saying 'best game ever' but yeah I can already tell it's lots of fun and I haven't even got the good weapons, vehicles and missions yet.

Edit: GreyFox, sandbox games don't usually get demos for a reason.
Crackdown and Just Cause did. So did the first Mercenaries.

Barso

Banned
Any PS3, 360 comparisons?
Sorry to ask but £40 for the better version hopefully is not alot to ask for.
Thanks to all help and replies.

Barso said:
Any PS3, 360 comparisons?
Sorry to ask but £40 for the better version hopefully is not alot to ask for.
Thanks to all help and replies.
Technically it doesn't come out until Sunday (lots of broken street dates) so maybe later in the week or next week some comparisons come out. Given the online co-op go with the system your friends have. If that doesn't matter, then I doubt there much difference, the multiplatform gap seems all but closed recently.

Sectus

BobTheFork said:
Got it ealier today and all you need to know is it's STILL insane fun and has tight, stable co-op (very solid, no skips need to play more later) that makes it even more fun.
Can you tell a bit more about how the online coop is? How far away is the friend you're playing with (do you know your ping to him)? Do you know if there's any substantial lag for you or your friend when playing coop?

newsguy

Game sounds like what I expected. It's not like the first one was a technical marvel either (most fog ever). We saw the pics and videos and knew it wasn't going to blow us away visually, so whay act surprised at low res stuff. Fun is why the first one was worth buying, and if this one delivers fun, I'm picking it up sunday.

I remember the "Awesome things that happen in Mercs" thread where people would post funny and random things that happened while they played. Once people start to get badass weapons, airstrikes, choppers, the game will become a whole new beast full of WTF moments.

Zenith

Banned
notjackbauer said:
sorry, never played just cause. A couple other things I thought of-

I was surprised by how awesome the music is! It really adds a lot, along with great sound effects. Also, the driving controls have been redone- it's still a little twitchy but feels much less boxy. I can't wait to get home and tear shit up!!

I'm with you BobTheFork. FUN!

what are the vehicles like. do they all feel the same or are the weapon systems modelled accurately (I don't mean realistically, but does the cannon of a T55 feel different to that of an Abrams or whatever)

Zenith said:
what are the vehicles like. do they all feel the same or are the weapon systems modelled accurately (I don't mean realistically, but does the cannon of a T55 feel different to that of an Abrams or whatever)

i only played for one hour- drove one tank, a big ass truck, a VZ jeep, a harley and a little sports car. Gonna play more tonight, so hopefully i'll have better info for you tomorrow.

mrlogical

Any word on the differences between 360 and PS3 versions? Anything other than Achievements on 360 but no trophies? I might pick this up this weekend...

Flunkie

Banned
Zenith said:
They control pretty floaty. It uses A and X (or X and square) to accelerate/brake, so that took some getting used to. The tanks handle like crap. The left stick is for turning and accelerating, and the camera doesn't stick behind it, so you're always having to re-adjust it.

As far as I can tell, you can't modify the controls one bit.

Flunkie said:
They control pretty floaty. It uses A and X (or X and square) to accelerate/brake, so that took some getting used to. The tanks handle like crap. The left stick is for turning and accelerating, and the camera doesn't stick behind it, so you're always having to re-adjust it.

As far as I can tell, you can't modify the controls one bit.

you play the first Mercs1?

...this is exactly how tanks/APCs controlled

Flunkie

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
you play the first Mercs1?

...this is exactly how tanks/APCs controlled
That's cool.. I'm just saying that that's how they control. Right now I don't prefer it, but most games grow on me pretty fast. I played it a little more tonight and finally started getting stuff like the grappling hook.. pretty cool. :)

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
From this point on I'm disregarding all of Flunkie's impressions as it doesn't seem like he's played more than an hour of the original mercs. Picking up the PC version next week.

If you want to see the first few missions played out go to http://tinyurl.com/6zq3px.

Mercs 2 Party Pack in the house.:D

mercspack.jpg

Flunkie

Banned
Acid08 said:
How do the explosions look? If theres one thing I want to look good in this fame its the explosions.
Definitely freakin' awesome. They're one at a time though. If I put a C4 charge right in between two gas tanks, one blows up, and then the other follows. Happens every time.

If this is another thing in the original Mercs, shoot me now, and I'll just shut up. :p

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Sorry I didn't mean to offend you Flunkie it's just that in the beginning you were telling us all these reasons why Mercs 2 seemed a little sloppy but to anyone who has played the original mercs we already knew what to expect. I am glad that you are beginning to enjoy it more however.

I want impressions from the PC version but apparently the PC mercs doesn't exist at this point in time.

Plissken

Hooterville, that looks awesome, was it a pre-order bonus or something? I am definitely picking this up when it comes out, but if I get some cool stuff for pre-ordering, I will go do that tomorrow.

Llyranor

Screw textures, I just want to blow crap up. Since it seems to be available locally now, I'll be picking it up alongside Tales of Vesperia tomorrow. I don't plan on really playing it until late next week (since PAL release will be then, and my co-op buddy is over there), but I might have a testrun or so.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I've been playing this game on my 360 for the past 4 hours. I want to echo some things that were said about it:

1) It's fun - coop is fun if you have a friend that likes to mess around and do crazy things

2) This game needed another 6 months of polish. I ran into a tremendous amount of glitching and bugs in just 4 hours:
* Falling through the ground

* Buildings blowing up, but not being counted, reappearing and then blowing up again, even though no one shot it... repeat 3 more times.

* Enemies appearing from their tanks without heads or faces (Less a bug and just a noticeable problem)

* General clipping issues that affect gameplay
3) The textures are rough looking, but not distracting in any way

4) The game sometimes doesn't make sense - I'll chalk this up to being co-op and things being a bit crazy

5) Last, but not least, it's fun!!!!

WrikaWrek

Banned
El_TigroX said:
2) This game needed another 6 months of polish. I ran into a tremendous amount of glitching and bugs in just 4 hours:

* Buildings blowing up, but not being counted, reappearing and then blowing up again, even though no one shot it... repeat 3 more times.

* Enemies appearing from their tanks without heads or faces (Less a bug and just a noticeable problem)

That's bad, really bad.

El_TigroX said:
I've been playing this game on my 360 for the past 4 hours. I want to echo some things that were said about it:

1) It's fun - coop is fun if you have a friend that likes to mess around and do crazy things

4) The game sometimes doesn't make sense - I'll chalk this up to being co-op and things being a bit crazy

Yeah, I don't know, guess I was sooo used to Mercs1 (Fog of WAAAR!!!) that I never considered Pandemic to be this technical powerhouse studio....just a team how knows how to make shit fun!
At least they got the scale of the game down!

Flunkie

Banned
Yeah, I fell through the ground while entering a building today.

There's also random spots where there will just belittle puffs of fire floating out in the middle of nowhere.

I haven't seen the building disappearing/reappearing glitch thing yet, though.

AgentOtaku said:
still not happy to hear about L3 to sprint

....FUCK!!! (>___<)
You don't have to hold it down. You can just click it.

saunderez

El_TigroX said:

That to me sounds like a netcode problem.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
AgentOtaku said:
still not happy to hear about L3 to sprint

....FUCK!!! (>___<)

Same here. I always cringe when I see anything significant mapped to either L3 or R3.

As a big fan of the original, I'd been looking forward to this -- although, with three other games on hand to play through, it would've probably been a delayed purchase -- but these wonky impressions are making me think twice.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
saunderez said:
I was going to say the same thing. It seems the co-op mode is pretty buggy. I may wait until someone comes out with an unofficial patch that fixes the net code and regular bugs before I dip.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
El_TigroX said:

So it's basically Saints Row.

GrayFoxPL

saunderez said:
You're right. It's an online desync problem. Usually means the netcode is pretty shitty.

Cosmic Bus said:
Same here. I always cringe when I see anything significant mapped to either L3 or R3.

I'm with you brothers :(.

Partially You can fix it by buying Thrustmaster dual trigger. It has additional 2 triggers under R2 and L2. You can map L3 and R3 to those triggers.

Problem with the pad is d-pad is shitty and somehow the controller didn't work with codenamed 2 demo.

AkuMifune

Banned
Damn, this is gonna be tough. It's this or Force Unleashed for me too. I forgave alot of Mercs1 issues because it was hella fun, so it might be the same situation here. Or rather, which games' faults am I more forgiving of? Not a great question to have, but it's just filler until late October anyways.

Top Bottom