• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

okno

Have always wanted to go, but have never been able to go. I would kill to go this year, the line-up is one of the best in recent years.

On second look, that might be slightly hyperbolic, but it's still a great one.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Frankie Knuckles is a classic Chicago House producer. There was a fair bit of cameraderie and good-natured (mostly) rivalry between Detroit and Chicago. Actually the early Detroit Sound owes a lot to Chicago House... it was even called Detroit House before the word 'techno' came along and the sound found its signature (which is also in large part thanks to Ron Murphy's mastering).

When talking about 'Detroit Techno' as a style, influence or flavour, the lines drawn will be endless. There are a bunch of important recent artists and record labels that have taken a lot of inspiration from the D's sound and done innovative things with it. Shed and Actress are amongst the biggest contemporary names, then you have Delsin Records, Rush Hour, Clone Records, Modern Love, amongst others... you can hear the sound all over their artist rosters and releases. The whole Berghain scene in Berlin, and the Birmingham scene (Sandwell / Downwards) before that owes a huge debt to the tough, stripped back aesthetic Mills and Hood pioneered.

Hell, it can even be argued that The Martian (Red Planet) was the blueprint for what would become Trance!

The DNA is everywhere.

Would you consider artists like Vince Watson, Kirk Degiorgio, Future Beat Alliance, Arne Weinberg, Chymera, and Aril Brikha to be heavily Detroit-influenced? Been really into the stuff I've heard from them lately.

I was considering DEMF this year but my brother's graduating med school that weekend so no can do.

Would you consider artists like Vince Watson, Kirk Degiorgio, Future Beat Alliance, Arne Weinberg, Chymera, and Aril Brikha to be heavily Detroit-influenced? Been really into the stuff I've heard from them lately.

I was considering DEMF this year but my brother's graduating med school that weekend so no can do.

Yeah, all of them were definitely influenced by Detroit (some more than others, was actually going to post songs from a couple of those, but won't now since you got them covered).

Probably going to be jumping around, but I think there's a few artists you should really take a look at when it comes to this stuff:

Balil
Merck
3/4 Heart
Choke and Fly
Small Energies
Nort Route <---Very popular among the Detroit heads. C2 liked it so much he licensed it from A.R.T (Kirk Degiorgio's label) on his Planet E label.
The Melody Remix The last thing done under the seldom used psuedonym of Ed Handley (Plaid) Pretty sure DJ Sasha of all people played this one out live.
Island Other mixes include Island Praise and Uland
Last page I posted his reworking of Kirk Degiorgio's song Shambala.

Nuron This guy released about a dozen songs before he disappeared, which is a shame considering the extreme quality.
Eau Rouge
Minutes
Slipstream
Mirage
Contrapoint
Earthfall Remix

B12 and aliases
Climatic Calm
Hall of Mirrors
The Silicon Garden
Gimp Best album cover of all time? Oh yes!
Epilion
Cymetry
Space Age
Metropolis

Stasis
Point Of No Return Love Steve's basslines. @2:08 is one of my favorite drops
Solitude
Artifax More great basslines
Inside
Mnemic Image Nothing wrong with a little cowbell.
Funky purple hotpants from the planet disco What a name
Alone
I Think It's In Here
Questions for vanmanan

^That's it for my organized thoughts, below here I'll just post some random stuff that popped in my head last night/today.

Close, Up, Over - Jauqq More genius from Ed Handley/Balil
Nieux - Day 83
Ismistik - Flow Charts
The Black Dog - Vanttool
Ian O'Brien - Dayride
Terrace - My Mirror Image (Morning View Remix)
2000 And One - Crystal
Remote_ - Public Service
Shed - Atmo-Action
EOD - Utrecht
The Black Dog - Virtual Early Black Dog/Plaid are considered to be a big influence on Jungle, or Jungle Techno way back. Proto Jungle for sure this one.
VFT - Location Plus 8 classic
Move D - Eastman
D5 - Flotation Tank
Stefan Robbers - Foreign Dimensions
Alter Ego - Tanks Ahead (Black Dog Remix)
Reload - Le Soleil Et La Mer (Black Dog Productions Remix)
Repeat - Lilt-A
Link - Avatar Tons of good Mark Pritchard material out there (old Reload for sure)
Link - The Augur
Russ Gabriel - Peace For Thought
Luke Slater's 7th Plain - Seeing Sense Whole album is fantastic

Probably went overboard. Needless to say there's probably good/great tunes in the side bar on YT for any of these tracks.

edit: Also, don't sleep on LA Synthesis!! I posted an electro tune by them pages back, and their (Techno) album Matrix Surfer is fantastic! Davidion did a good job suggesting them.

edit 2: I forgot to mention something by Insync (you wish it was THAT group). Insync vs Mysteron - Science Fact This song is more along the lines of Red Planet stuff/Drexciya Black Sea.

accx

Haha! Thanks for this, really fun little track!

Yeah it's really bouncy. Makes me feel all giddy inside. I already loved the original which i, coincidentally, found just the other months while shuffling through my library.
I love the lyrics. It has one of my favorite lines, to date.
"I need the darkness, someone please cut the lights."

Fantastic post....

Thanks a lot for this. I have had trouble with identifying detroit/chicago house and techno in the past.
Although that might be because i'm usually shit at identifying subgenres. I've been wanting to get into this because i feel it's a really big part of music history that i don't know much about and haven't listen to all that much.
It might be because i've always had problems with techno and minimalism. It's been growing on me the past few years and i see a trend in my music taste going further into that terrain.

Also an update regarding Underworld - Barking. Have listened to it all day. It's not for me. and i know why i don't like it.
It's the synthesizer sounds they've used in the songs, mostly noticeable in "Always on Film" and "Diamond Saw".
Quality production, of course. It's underworld. To expect anything else would be foolish. But the synthesizer sounds verges on Trance. And that's like anthrax to me.
Bird 1 and Scribble are the only ones i like. I think "Hamburg Hotel", "Between the stars" (right up til the omgepictrancedrop kicks in at the end) and "Moon Water" are alright.
The Bpm is also slower than what i'd expect which is disappointing because it was one of those things that separated underworld from other artists.
I feel that it's a little bland and a little too similar to what's already out there.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

Ill Saint

Some great posts in here, thanks Ill Saint, Miroku and Gaylord Sweetwood. Now if I can pull myself from Xenoblade to go through all of them. I will say I absolutely love the Martian/Red Planet stuff I've listened to.

Sure thing. I edited my post on the previous page with YouTube links if that makes things easier. Enjoy the sounds!

Davidion

Yeah, all of them were definitely influenced by Detroit (some more than others, was actually going to post songs from a couple of those, but won't now since you got them covered).

Probably going to be jumping around, but I think there's a few artists you should really take a look at when it comes to this stuff:

Nuron This guy released about a dozen songs before he disappeared, which is a shame considering the extreme quality.
Eau Rouge
Minutes
Slipstream
Mirage
Contrapoint
Earthfall Remix

Probably went overboard. Needless to say there's probably good/great tunes in the side bar on YT for any of these tracks.

edit: Also, don't sleep on LA Synthesis!! I posted an electro tune by them pages back, and their (Techno) album Matrix Surfer is fantastic! Davidion did a good job suggesting them.

It's entirely possible that you're the one who turn me on to LA Synthesis; I'm not nearly as familiar with the classics as I care to admit.

Also, you still get credit as the only person I see anywhere namedropping Nuron. I found him and Shad E. Scott on this old Quango comp that I bought because I spotted a few things from John Beltram. Speaking of whom, that's another Techno stalwart that people should listen to more.

Tiesto, have you actually heard Watson's latest album? The title track is a fantastic cut of melodic techno with that detroit-in-a-way-that-you-can't-put-your-finger-on kind of way.

http://vipultima.com/promo_sheet.php?releaseId=429

It's entirely possible that you're the one who turn me on to LA Synthesis; I'm not nearly as familiar with the classics as I care to admit.

Also, you still get credit as the only person I see anywhere namedropping Nuron. I found him and Shad E. Scott on this old Quango comp that I bought because I spotted a few things from John Beltram. Speaking of whom, that's another Techno stalwart that people should listen to more.

Tiesto, have you actually heard Watson's latest album? The title track is a fantastic cut of melodic techno with that detroit-in-a-way-that-you-can't-put-your-finger-on kind of way.

http://vipultima.com/promo_sheet.php?releaseId=429

Hah, funny you mention that, I was listening to that comp (Lush Life Electronica) in the car yesterday. Thinking about it, it's probably my favorite compilation. Not a bad song on there. Unfortunately, youtube doesn't have "Soul Circuit - What If." I was going to add that to the list.

And yeah, good call on Beltran. Definitely add him to the list of Detroit artists. I think he recently put out a compilation of a lot of his work. Would be a good primer.

Shaneus

Can't remember if i posted this one already but here it goes!

disco dance goodness!
Arcade Fire - Sprawl II (Soulwax remix)
That grew on me fast, thanks!

And it's a RSD release, looks like I will be shopping on the 21rst after all.
Haha! Thanks for this, really fun little track!
As far as remixers go, I probably respect and admire Soulwax more than anyone else. They fuck around with tracks *just* the right amount each time, whether that be heaps or little. I can't remember a remix they did that I didn't like, and if there was I'm sure that at least I'd admire what they did.

Probably my favourite. Or maybe this. But then again, there's this as well...

Shaneus

yes!

Man the whole thing is so good. Cant fucking wait to see him and hudmo in may!

Rustie - City Star VIP
I might be showing severe close-mindedness on this one, but I really have no idea what the heck that track is doing. Don't hear any quality production, interesting layers or hooks, just hear... noise. Not wanting to insult anyone, but it just sounds like chinstroker fodder :/

Unless someone could enlighten me? Seriously, I'd love to know what is going on that makes it enjoyable for other people.

I might be showing severe close-mindedness on this one, but I really have no idea what the heck that track is doing. Don't hear any quality production, interesting layers or hooks, just hear... noise. Not wanting to insult anyone, but it just sounds like chinstroker fodder :/

Unless someone could enlighten me? Seriously, I'd love to know what is going on that makes it enjoyable for other people.

I have no idea what "chinstroker fodder" is.

Here is the original http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKm1m1NJysk
If that makes it any easier to understand? No idea.

Also bear in mind its a rip from radio so it pretty flat sounding!

Shaneus

I have no idea what "chinstroker fodder" is.

Here is the original http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKm1m1NJysk
If that makes it any easier to understand? No idea.

Also bear in mind its a rip from radio so it pretty flat sounding!
By that I sort of meant, music that people stand around, stroking chins saying "hmm, I think this is quite well done" without really knowing what they mean by it. I pretty much say that about anything I don't get ;)

Yeah, after listening to that link you just posted, I... yeah, just can't see myself ever finding anything to enjoy about it. Bit over the top of my head, I guess. Was never really a fan of that High Contrast-esque rapid-fire highhat in any track, and the off-key synth stabs just somewhat rub me up the wrong way, too. Feels like it's all sort of mashed together and there's no real harmony or link between the layers of the track.

But don't feel you have to explain it to me or whatever, I'm just trying to understand :)

Ah thats what I thought it might mean!
Nah fuck that! Any night ive been to that have had one of his songs dropped people (myself included) go nuts.

Im pretty shit at explaining myself.To me it just hits something that sounds good to me. Its kind of hyper but at the same time dark and murky?
Yeah it just gets abit cringey thinking of how to describe it haha

lush

yes!

Man the whole thing is so good. Cant fucking wait to see him and hudmo in may!

Rustie - City Star VIP

Anyone know what this is yet?
08. [unknown] — Unknown Title
Shame we'll never get a release for that one. Pretty sure it's over the top for a reason. Song just makes me crack a big smile. Also I'm pretty sure you have to be a hip hop fan to enjoy guys like Rustie or HudMo, especially on a track like "City Star" which straight up sounds like a Lex Luger style production.

Juicy J - Geeked Up Off Them Bars

okno

As far as remixers go, I probably respect and admire Soulwax more than anyone else. They fuck around with tracks *just* the right amount each time, whether that be heaps or little. I can't remember a remix they did that I didn't like, and if there was I'm sure that at least I'd admire what they did.

Probably my favourite. Or maybe this. But then again, there's this as well...

HAH! I was JUST about to post the Rolling Stones remix. The first time I heard that was on Greg Wilson's godly RA podcast (seriously, track it down, it's amazing). You're definitely right about them. While their remixes do sound similar in style, they're all different enough to not be obnoxious or predictable. I can't waaaait to drop both the Arcade Fire and Rolling Stones remixes tomorrow night.

Davidion

Hah, funny you mention that, I was listening to that comp (Lush Life Electronica) in the car yesterday. Thinking about it, it's probably my favorite compilation. Not a bad song on there. Unfortunately, youtube doesn't have "Soul Circuit - What If." I was going to add that to the list.

And yeah, good call on Beltran. Definitely add him to the list of Detroit artists. I think he recently put out a compilation of a lot of his work. Would be a good primer.

I wasn't a fan of the Move D remix of Beyond the Machine on that album; it felt a bit like wank. Everything is tops though; that really is a great compilation.

By that I sort of meant, music that people stand around, stroking chins saying "hmm, I think this is quite well done" without really knowing what they mean by it. I pretty much say that about anything I don't get ;)

Yeah, after listening to that link you just posted, I... yeah, just can't see myself ever finding anything to enjoy about it. Bit over the top of my head, I guess. Was never really a fan of that High Contrast-esque rapid-fire highhat in any track, and the off-key synth stabs just somewhat rub me up the wrong way, too. Feels like it's all sort of mashed together and there's no real harmony or link between the layers of the track.

But don't feel you have to explain it to me or whatever, I'm just trying to understand :)

The visceral response from that grade of postdub sound is similar to dub reggae and hip hop. It doesn't work approaching it like a 4/4 or 2/4 dance floor track.

I thought it's ok. If you think that's bad, wait until you hear Hudson Mohawke's cbat.

I wasn't a fan of the Move D remix of Beyond the Machine on that album; it felt a bit like wank. Everything is tops though; that really is a great compilation.

The visceral response from that grade of postdub sound is similar to dub reggae and hip hop. It doesn't work approaching it like a 4/4 or 2/4 dance floor track.

I thought it's ok. If you think that's bad, wait until you hear Hudson Mohawke's cbat.

21JW

Balil
Merck
3/4 Heart
Choke and Fly
Small Energies
Nort Route <---Very popular among the Detroit heads. C2 liked it so much he licensed it from A.R.T (Kirk Degiorgio's label) on his Planet E label.
The Melody Remix The last thing done under the seldom used psuedonym of Ed Handley (Plaid) Pretty sure DJ Sasha of all people played this one out live.
Island Other mixes include Island Praise and Uland
Last page I posted his reworking of Kirk Degiorgio's song Shambala.

Eau Rouge
Minutes
Slipstream
Mirage
Contrapoint
Earthfall Remix

B12 and aliases
Climatic Calm
Hall of Mirrors
The Silicon Garden
Gimp Best album cover of all time? Oh yes!
Epilion
Cymetry
Space Age
Metropolis

Stasis
Point Of No Return Love Steve's basslines. @2:08 is one of my favorite drops
Solitude
Artifax More great basslines
Inside
Mnemic Image Nothing wrong with a little cowbell.
Funky purple hotpants from the planet disco What a name
Alone
I Think It's In Here
Questions for vanmanan

^That's it for my organized thoughts, below here I'll just post some random stuff that popped in my head last night/today.

Close, Up, Over - Jauqq More genius from Ed Handley/Balil
Nieux - Day 83
Ismistik - Flow Charts
The Black Dog - Vanttool
Ian O'Brien - Dayride
Terrace - My Mirror Image (Morning View Remix)
2000 And One - Crystal
Remote_ - Public Service
Shed - Atmo-Action
EOD - Utrecht
The Black Dog - Virtual Early Black Dog/Plaid are considered to be a big influence on Jungle, or Jungle Techno way back. Proto Jungle for sure this one.
VFT - Location Plus 8 classic
Move D - Eastman
D5 - Flotation Tank
Stefan Robbers - Foreign Dimensions
Alter Ego - Tanks Ahead (Black Dog Remix)
Reload - Le Soleil Et La Mer (Black Dog Productions Remix)
Repeat - Lilt-A
Link - Avatar Tons of good Mark Pritchard material out there (old Reload for sure)
Link - The Augur
Russ Gabriel - Peace For Thought
Luke Slater's 7th Plain - Seeing Sense Whole album is fantastic

edit 2: I forgot to mention something by Insync (you wish it was THAT group). Insync vs Mysteron - Science Fact This song is more along the lines of Red Planet stuff/Drexciya Black Sea.

This post is made of gold. Thanks a bunch

Shaneus

HAH! I was JUST about to post the Rolling Stones remix. The first time I heard that was on Greg Wilson's godly RA podcast (seriously, track it down, it's amazing). You're definitely right about them. While their remixes do sound similar in style, they're all different enough to not be obnoxious or predictable. I can't waaaait to drop both the Arcade Fire and Rolling Stones remixes tomorrow night.
I think I first heard it (strangely enough) when a friend put me onto it after seeing 21. Best closing credits track ever.

I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about specifically, but when I meant that their tracks are all similar, I meant that they're similar enough to their original counterparts that it doesn't just sound like they've ripped a synth line and a vocal but put a completely different track over it. Probably the most like a traditional, 80s-style "remix" style we have today, IMO.

BTW is this the one you're talking about? Downloading now! That tracklisting looks fucking sensational... getting goosebumps just looking at it.

Ahhhhhhh. That makes a shitload more sense to me now. Doubt I'd like it any more than I did before, but at least I know where people who DO like it are coming from. Seriously, thanks :)
Fake edit: On looking up that track and actually *listening* to it, it's definitely a dub style... guess I didn't give the other track enough time to actually establish what timing it used. Still don't like or "get" it, though ;)

http://mlkshk.com/r/21JW[IMG][/QUOTE]
Pretty sure he was just referring to the fact that I didn't like that genre, not that the song was bad. Kinda like saying "If you thought Terminator 2 was bad, wait until you see True Lies."

Oh, and guys... did I mention who's playing in Melbourne soon that I'm seeing? Both Robert Babicz and Silicone Soul. The latter doing a FIVE HOUR SET in a tiny, little, awesome, intimate club. Fucking pumped as shit.

I was just messing :)
Have you listened to the essential mix we are on about though? Might open your ears up to that style (or nail them shut! Haha)

Shaneus

Which EM?

On a completely unrelated note, on listening to that Greg Wilson interview (amazing, everyone should hear) I looked him up, and on his website he talks about Late Nite Tuff Guy. Some of you may know of him as a guy who was massive in the Australian scene almost 20 years ago as HMC.

This is the most recent track on his Soundcloud, and oh my fucking god... it's beautiful. It's disco house, sounds like it came straight from a club in the early 80s. Fucking seriously, I'm grinning like a cheshire cat who just tried MDMA for the first time:
Lovely Day - LNTG remix

okno

Which EM?

On a completely unrelated note, on listening to that Greg Wilson interview (amazing, everyone should hear) I looked him up, and on his website he talks about Late Nite Tuff Guy. Some of you may know of him as a guy who was massive in the Australian scene almost 20 years ago as HMC.

This is the most recent track on his Soundcloud, and oh my fucking god... it's beautiful. It's disco house, sounds like it came straight from a club in the early 80s. Fucking seriously, I'm grinning like a cheshire cat who just tried MDMA for the first time:
Lovely Day - LNTG remix

1) Greg Wilson is my hero. I love that man more than is healthy. His remixes are sensational! I could list a hundred if you'd like :3

2) Late Nite Tuff Guy is the SHIT. His remix of "Deal With God" by Kate Bush is tits. All he does is boost the bass and the vocals, but it makes it so atmospheric and spooky in a great way.

3) his new single, "I Don't Like Acid" is one of the best things I've heard in months. Get it now!

Edit: fun story, I saw Greg Wilson a few moths ago at Mister Saturday Night and he was doing SO much coke. He kept ducking down beneath his decks and would pop up again wiping his nose. Amazing set, but unfortunately he didn't bring his reel-to-reel :(

Shaneus

1) Greg Wilson is my hero. I love that man more than is healthy. His remixes are sensational! I could list a hundred if you'd like :3

2) Late Nite Tuff Guy is the SHIT. His remix of "Deal With God" by Kate Bush is tits. All he does is boost the bass and the vocals, but it makes it so atmospheric and spooky in a great way.

3) his new single, "I Don't Like Acid" is one of the best things I've heard in months. Get it now!

Edit: fun story, I saw Greg Wilson a few moths ago at Mister Saturday Night and he was doing SO much coke. He kept ducking down beneath his decks and would pop up again wiping his nose. Amazing set, but unfortunately he didn't bring his reel-to-reel :(
We need to make babies.
I'd heard the name plenty of times before, but never really bothered to look him up until now. Listened to the first half of that RA interview... blown away. Reckon the dude is more up my alley than 90% of the DJs who are still doing the rounds after a couple of decades. And seems very similar in his edits of classics rather than (as I said before) completely reworking them to how Soulwax work (though obviously with far more production on Soulwax's side). Thanks so much for reintroducing me to him!

BTW For reference, here's a track or two by LNTG when he was *massive* in the electronic music scene here in Australia:
HMC - LSD (1995)
HMC - Phreakin'
Enjoy :)
(LSD was fucking HUGE back in the day. Usually played *far* faster than original speed, funnily enough ;))

Antagon

We need to make babies.
I'd heard the name plenty of times before, but never really bothered to look him up until now. Listened to the first half of that RA interview... blown away. Reckon the dude is more up my alley than 90% of the DJs who are still doing the rounds after a couple of decades. And seems very similar in his edits of classics rather than (as I said before) completely reworking them to how Soulwax work (though obviously with far more production on Soulwax's side). Thanks so much for reintroducing me to him!

BTW For reference, here's a track or two by LNTG when he was *massive* in the electronic music scene here in Australia:
HMC - LSD (1995)
HMC - Phreakin'
Enjoy :)
(LSD was fucking HUGE back in the day. Usually played *far* faster than original speed, funnily enough ;))

Seems like Freestylers sampled Phreakin'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uikiBuLfUDg

Edit: nvm, they might have sampled the same track.

Divius

16 year old producer XXYYXX, compared to James Blake meets Clam Casino, releases his sophomore album for name your price.

This has been on heavy rotation, and he just released something new:

Price = $1 USD or more

Too bad I don't have paypal or a creditcard.

Top Bottom