• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

joelseph

Ben UFO is a fucking machine, love that kid.

I picked up a new EP release today, Slava's Soft Control on Mexican Summer. Ambient Juke music.

joelseph

I just realized that this is the only major music thread that did not get moved to OT Community. Once again gaf fails at edm!

If I had the patience I could go back and find my first post in here from about two years ago and chart the course of my ever changing and evolving taste in EDM.
Way too much effort though.

okno

;)

I mean more like how I cna imagine two years ago I would have written off a shit load of stuff that got posted because it was "weird" and now thats what everyone I know says about my tastes haha

Two years ago was right when I was getting out of my m_nus phase. I tried going back to all that stuff, and, yeesh, I could not see myself dancing to any of it anymore.

Although, for the record, Heartthrob - Baby Kate and Heartthrob and Gaiser - Nasty Girl are still shit tons of fun.

Damn, how he went from producing incredible work with Mark Pritchard (Reload, Link, Jedi Knights, Secret Ingredients, Global Communication etc.) to this dull, safe nondescript-club-music-for-the-masses stuff saddens me immensely.

Couldn't of said it better myself.

From something as timeless and brilliant as:

Le Soleil et la Mer and Ehn to that crap. Sad seeing these 90s stalwarts (not just Middleton) selling out. And yes, the aforementioned album is mostly Mark Pritchard, but Tom helped out on some of the tracks too.

I mean, just last year they released probably the best compilation/mix of recent memory, so I know he hasn't been lost completely.

R-2880456-1305413273.jpeg

Fade II Black* – The Calling (Reprise)
System 7 & Derrick May – Altitude
Reese – Just Want Another Chance
BFC – Galaxy
F.U.S.E. – Technotropic
Shake – Sonar 123
Lory D – Sickness (Sounds Never Seen)
Neuropolitique – Mind You Don't Trip
DHS – Number 9 Bad Acid
Speedy J – De-Orbit (TM Outer Limits Salute Repitch)
Balil – Nort Route
Florence – A Touch Of Heaven
Flux (2) – True Feelings
Reload & E621 – Ptyzh
States Of Mind – Audio Q5A
Robert Leiner – Aqua Viva
Link – Intro (The Labels)
Ismistik – Flow Charts
Yennek – Serena X (Carl Craig Inner Zone Remix)
Psyche – Elements
Never On Sunday – The Journey
As One – Amalia
Aphex Twin – Tha
Stasis – Point Of No Return
Balil – Whirling Of The Spirits
808 State – Sunrise
Urban Tribe – Covert Action
Link – Places Of Origin
Model 500 – Infoworld
Reel By Real – Surkit
Ross 154 – Mayflower
Global Communication – Incidental Harmony
Barbarella – Barbarella (The Irresistible Force Remix)

---

Rinse FM March 28th DJ Monki with special guest SINJIN HAWKE

1. Ballad of Bootyspoon (Instrumental)
2. The Dream - Fancy
3. The Dream - Fancy (Sinjin Hawke Bootleg)
4. Waka Flocka - Drinkin & Smokin (Grandtheft & Sinjin Hawke Bootleg)
5. Sinjin Hawke - Prism
6. ITFW - Surgeon
7. DJ Khaled - Im On One (Sinjin Hawke Bootleg)
8. Tevin Campbell - Shhhh (Sinjin Hawke Bootleg)
9. DJ Rashad - Whatcha Smokin
10. DJ Spinn - Studio
11. DJ Rashad - Want U
12. Morris - 607 Riddim
13. Sinjin Hawke - Bloodflame
14. So Called & DJ Assault - Sleepover (Sinjin Hawke Remix)
15. Sinjin Hawke - Farah
16. DJ Sliink & Sinjin Hawke - Gas Pump
17. DJ Mike Gip - Shai Theme
18. Sileca - Hands In Mine
19. MikeQ - Din Da Da Krash ft. Kevin JZ Prodigy
20. Mister Tweeks - To The Sky
21. ???? - Wake Me

So good! could do with a DL of this mix.

Shaneus

Couldn't of said it better myself.

From something as timeless and brilliant as:

Le Soleil et la Mer and Ehn to that crap. Sad seeing these 90s stalwarts (not just Middleton) selling out. And yes, the aforementioned album is mostly Mark Pritchard, but Tom helped out on some of the tracks too.

I mean, just last year they released probably the best compilation/mix of recent memory, so I know he hasn't been lost completely.
Eh. I wasn't really around or had a chance to be into his stuff back then, but in terms of actual production, not necessarily creativity, both the tracks I posted are quite good. The only reason one would think otherwise (I'd guesS) is because they don't like that genre or style, not that it's "crap". Given I'm rarely tied to genres, I'm able to (usually) appreciate a good track for what it is, not what it isn't. And over time, while style or creativity may change and evolve, attention to detail and production values rarely do, at least in the world of electronic music (mainly in regards to lone producers, not necessarly groups) and that can be seen in those tracks, IMO.

Anyway, we can all have our opinions and no one is ever wrong and freedom yay etc., so it's all good :)

joelseph

Who the hell is Avicii? I feel like I should know who it is but I dont and there is probably a reason for that.

Avicii and Mord Fustang are the two "hot" club DJs currently. They are both very mainstream and attract the "Ultra" crowd. Mord is starting to make waves in the underground though, Beatport voted him the hottest blah blah something. Beatport is pretty shit now-a-days though so take it for what it's worth.

Know as in, know the actual person? Or know as in, know a song by them? I have no idea who they are, but I know they made this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNYL7-Tu6fQ

Just another Deadmau5 type fella. Except I can score nerd points for knowing about Deadmau5 before he was famous.

Know of them/him atall.
My brother was saying "omg Avicii is going to be at Cream Fields" and I had no idea who it was or what they had done.

Then I was listening to the pete tong show just now and hes got a song
Madonna & Avicii — Girls Gone Wild

So hes more or less a David Guetta kind of guy?

Heres the shows track list as it has New Mosca :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01dpphy
Tracklist:
Nicky Romero & David Guetta — Metropolis (Virgin)
Martin Solveig — The Night Out (Madeon Remix) 3Beat
Afrojack — Fatality (Wall)
Miike Snow — Devil's Work (Dirty South Mix) Columbia
Sub Focus — Out The Blue (Laidback Luke Remix) RAM
Ivan Gough & Feenixpawl — In My Mind (Axwell Remix) (feat. Georgi Kay)
Daddy's Groove — It's Not Right It's OK (Strictly Rhythm)

Avicii on the phone
Nicky Romero & Aviccii — Nicktim
Madonna & Avicii — Girls Gone Wild
Nneka — Shining Star (Joe Goddard Remix) Decon

Essential Contenders
Mark Knight — Together (Toolroom)
Osunlade — Envision (Argy Remix) Defected

Essential New Tune

Mosca — Murderous (Hypercolour)
Sid Le Rock — Temptress (Alex Jones Remix) My Favourite Robot Records
Kleio — Losing My Mind (Kote Records)
Sarp Yilmaz — My Baby Got To Go (Apparel Music)
Maya Jane Coles — Not Listening (DJ Kicks)
Jamie Jones — Our Time In Liberty (Crosstown Rebels)
Nina Kraviz — Ghetto Kraviz (Rekids)
Okain — Scream (Nina Kraviz Remix) Tsuba
Arcade Fire — Sprawl II (Soulwax Remix)
Groove Armada — Superstylin' (Superstylin', Zomba, 1)
Dan Ghanacia & Shonky — Close To The Edge
Flo Jam — Dusky (Dogmatik)
Blondish — Lonely Days (Hunter Game Remix)
Pirupa — Party Non Stop (Desolate)
Bombay Bicycle Club — How Can You Swallow So Much Sleep (Voyeur Remix) white
Groove Armada — Stevie Latenight
Laurent Garnier — Jacques In The Box (Ed Banger)

Oh yeah and also this
Mosca - Eva Mendes (Hypercolour)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Eh. I wasn't really around or had a chance to be into his stuff back then, but in terms of actual production, not necessarily creativity, both the tracks I posted are quite good. The only reason one would think otherwise (I'd guesS) is because they don't like that genre or style, not that it's "crap". Given I'm rarely tied to genres, I'm able to (usually) appreciate a good track for what it is, not what it isn't. And over time, while style or creativity may change and evolve, attention to detail and production values rarely do, at least in the world of electronic music (mainly in regards to lone producers, not necessarly groups) and that can be seen in those tracks, IMO.

Anyway, we can all have our opinions and no one is ever wrong and freedom yay etc., so it's all good :)

Yup, Middleton is a great producer and has been doing club-oriented hits since forever... Cosmos - Take Me With You back in the late 90's for instance... I'm a huge fan of his "liquatech" stuff, it strikes a nice balance between modern day deep house and the progressive house of old.

AlexSmash

Ive been following this thread and thought my track could fit in here.

BreisEcho - Ground Ale

(Dub):
http://soundcloud.com/breisecho/ground-ale

Im open to every form of critique that is made by the contributors of this thread (and their excellent taste ;) )...

And yeah:

old scuba recording i love. had to think about it, when i was listening to his new album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq5R68wif5E

+1 for the love to oswald in this thread ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBzN7Dv_Sfk

ultimatively untouchable sound.

I'm not surprised, Morgan page has actually knocked out a couple of decent tracks. I haven't gone out of my way to hear any more other than those two (and obviously Longest Road) but yeah, he's better than the impression I'd somehow gotten of him.

It's funny because The Longest Road, by default, is one of the worst songs I know. Now the deadmau5 remix is pretty much hands down like my 3rd favorite song of all time.

Shaneus

It's funny because The Longest Road, by default, is one of the worst songs I know. Now the deadmau5 remix is pretty much hands down like my 3rd favorite song of all time.
Yeah, well... that's the one I was referring to. In my frequent absent-mindedness, I usually overlook the fact it was a remix ;)

djtiesto

Supposedly Solar Fields (whom you might know from the awesome Mirror's Edge soundtrack) is working on another 'uptempo' album... his last uptempo album was Earthshine, one of the best no-bullshit trance releases in the last 5 years. Can't wait to hear what he has in store for us this time!

Supposedly Solar Fields (whom you might know from the awesome Mirror's Edge soundtrack) is working on another 'uptempo' album... his last uptempo album was Earthshine, one of the best no-bullshit trance releases in the last 5 years. Can't wait to hear what he has in store for us this time!

I hope it's like Earthshine but I think he's done with that style. I think it'll be more like "Movements." I really didn't care for his last album at all.

Maceo Plex. So hot right now.

Be sure to check his EM from a few weeks back. So amazing.

Yeah man, just finished listening to it! Was good!

I cant keep up with how much new music I find or want to listen too or things to go to! If only I was rich as fuck haha

I came across this song and am absolutely fixated with it: Sebastien Tellier - Kilometer (Aeroplane Italo 84 Remix)

Can anyone identify what specific genre this is or similar artists? It sounds similar to Kavinsky IMO, but I'd like to hear if anyone knows of similar music.
this is some italo ass house music, to me.

googling italo disco or italo house will yield similar results, albeit the majority of the them will be at least 20 years old. not sure what internaut bloggers are calling this today, but it's basically italo house/disco.

sorry, you asked for some similar stuff:
moulinex - break chops
outrunners - mirror shades
symbol one - love juice

accx

I came across this song and am absolutely fixated with it: Sebastien Tellier - Kilometer (Aeroplane Italo 84 Remix)

Can anyone identify what specific genre this is or similar artists? It sounds similar to Kavinsky IMO, but I'd like to hear if anyone knows of similar music.

Nu disco is prolly the most fitting genre even though it's similar to italo disco. However, italo disco is used for disco made in the late 70's and 80's.
Nu disco is an upcoming genre where they basically are bringing that whole sound back.

I'm obsessed with nu disco at the moment so i have quite the collection of artists for you.
All of them have (more or less) influences from funk, disco and general 80's bad ass sound.
There could be some artists that are a little off from that song but i hope you'll find someone's you like!

80's stallone
Chromeo
The Magician
Mighty Mouse
Flight Facilities - Crave You C90's Remix (check out both C90 and Flight Facilities).
Anoraak
Symbolone
Golden Bug
Drop Out Orchestra
Newcomer A.N.D.Y has produced some nice remixes.
Munk (can't seem to find a link though)

That's some of what i know. But Check out Future Disco, Permanent vacation records,Gomma Records and Discotexas. I have a lot more recommendations but i don't want to flood the forum.

EDIT:
Here comes a whole bunch of artists you also should check out. I couldn't be arsed with doing links to all of them.

Logo, DatA, Breakbot, Mason, Miami Horror, Midnight Magic (Which have one of my all time favorite song "Beam me up"), Shindu, Simian Mobile Disco, Sneaky Sound System, TEPR, Surkin, Tesla Boy, The 2 Bears, The Sound of Arrows.

Beaumont, Barretso, The Vanish, Tiger & Woods, Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs, Sally Shapiro, Bottin, Discodeine, ZZT, Volta Bureau, Vanguard, May68, Brodinski, Lemâitre, Treasure Fingers, Holy Ghost!, pomomofo, Boy 8-bit, Xinobi, Lazydisco.

Mix Chopin, Miami Nights 1984, Flamingo Drive, Gigamesh, College, Small Pyramids, Flashworx, FM ATTACK, mitch murder, lazerhawk, jordan F, The Glimmers, L'Equipe Du Son, Social Disco Club, Philosophy of Sound, The Supermen Lovers, Mustang.

I think that covers most of the artists. There's more but that should pretty much cover it. There's mostly focus on the old 80's sound but there are also some deep house and some french electro here and there.

djtiesto

^ wow, what a post!

Going to see Tiger and Woods next Saturday in Brooklyn. Seriously can't wait. Also Electric Zoo lineup for day 1 was posted, Sasha, Tiesto and Maya Jane Coles are my 3 "must sees" so far. Really hope that they get Maceo Plex and Scuba though, Made Event is usually pretty good at bringing in more obscure artists as compared to other festival promoters.

lush

^ wow, what a post!

Going to see Tiger and Woods next Saturday in Brooklyn. Seriously can't wait. Also Electric Zoo lineup for day 1 was posted, Sasha, Tiesto and Maya Jane Coles are my 3 "must sees" so far. Really hope that they get Maceo Plex and Scuba though, Made Event is usually pretty good at bringing in more obscure artists as compared to other festival promoters.
So jealous about T&W, seems like it'd be a great show. Still listening to the new Pop & Eye, Toil For Olive Oyl. That Sade edit is so good.

As for that nu-disco post, check out Azari & III as well.

"Into the Night"
"Manic"
"Reckless (With Your Love"
"Hungry For the Power"

Hype Williams just released a free album, "The Attitude Era". 33 tracks, outtakes, unfinished, etc.

Download here.

Top Bottom