• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

okno

BTW is this the one you're talking about? Downloading now! That tracklisting looks fucking sensational... getting goosebumps just looking at it.

http://alldj.org/index.php?name=News&op=Article&sid=14602

This is the one I was talking about :)
01. Rolling Stones - You Can?t Always Get What You Want (Soulwax Mix)
02. Groove Armada - Are "Friends" Electric?
03. Mark E & Dragon - Rapappellas Body Movin' Freaks (GW Mash)
04. Timmy Thomas - Why Can't We Live Together (Pressure Drop)
05. Gary Davis - One Lifetime (GW Version)
06. Situation - Pushing Alice
07. Eddie Drennon - Do It Nice and Easy (With Love) (GW Mash)
08. Blueboy - Remember Me
09. Secret Stealth - Stealth 2
10. Rufus & Chaka Khan - Ain't Nobody (Frankie Knuckles Hallucinogenic Dub)
11. Imagination / Missy Elliot - Re-working the Illusion (GW Ruff Mash)
12. Russell Brothers - The Party Scene
13. GW Ruff Edits #2 - Adriano Italiano
14. Ting Tings - Shut Up and Let Me Go (Blunt Edit)

edit: none of the links in there work... I'll find a working one.

Shaneus

http://alldj.org/index.php?name=News&op=Article&sid=14602

This is the one I was talking about :)
01. Rolling Stones - You Can?t Always Get What You Want (Soulwax Mix)
02. Groove Armada - Are "Friends" Electric?
03. Mark E & Dragon - Rapappellas Body Movin' Freaks (GW Mash)
04. Timmy Thomas - Why Can't We Live Together (Pressure Drop)
05. Gary Davis - One Lifetime (GW Version)
06. Situation - Pushing Alice
07. Eddie Drennon - Do It Nice and Easy (With Love) (GW Mash)
08. Blueboy - Remember Me
09. Secret Stealth - Stealth 2
10. Rufus & Chaka Khan - Ain't Nobody (Frankie Knuckles Hallucinogenic Dub)
11. Imagination / Missy Elliot - Re-working the Illusion (GW Ruff Mash)
12. Russell Brothers - The Party Scene
13. GW Ruff Edits #2 - Adriano Italiano
14. Ting Tings - Shut Up and Let Me Go (Blunt Edit)

edit: none of the links in there work... I'll find a working one.
Sweet Jesus, that's a great looking list. Hopefully I'll have a chance before I leave for work to add his EM to my iPhone.

Shaneus

I don't know about the legality of it (please someone, pull me up if it's not kosher) but I've found a site with what seems to be all the RA mixes, including the one onko recommended before, by Greg Wilson (119).

PS. Everyone here needs to listen to his Essential Mix. It's a freebie on his Soundcloud and basically essential listening for anyone who's drawn to the early, early days of house and electro back in the (very) early 80s.

PPS. This is such a hot, hot, but cool track. Love the hell out of it:
Michael McDonald - Keep Forgettin' (Late Nite Tuff Guy edit)
and it's half-brother:
Solomun - Love Recycled

Bonus track, which I think I've posted before but deserves to be reposted:
Laura Jones - Love in Me (Maceo Plex remix)

This I haven't, but too good to not share:
Audiofly - 6 Degrees feat. Fiora (Tale Of Us Remix)

Shaneus

He is such a guilty pleasure of mine. I've got some stellar remixes by him, but I'm on my phone and can't link...
I think that if Moroder was born 40-50 years later, this is what the music he'd be making would sound like. Hugely reminiscent of Der Dritte Raum's Hale Bopp (albeit, slowed down) for some reason as well.

daviyoung

Banned
Guys,

I was bored yesterday and thinking and was wondering if a mix contest has ever been attempted here? We've all got quite different tastes when it comes to electronic music and I think it could be really interesting.

Was thinking to keep it themed (peak time club, sexy time etc) and keep the mixes between 30 and 50 minutes, but other than that anything goes. Maybe change the theme of the mix every couple of weeks. Could even extend it to GAF offtopic and get the hip-hop and dubstep threadders on the go. What do you reckon? Does the use of licensed music exploit GAF T&Cs?

Anyway, a few tracks I've been digging the past week and haven't had a chance to post.

Joe Goddard - Gabriel (Soulwax Mix) <-- Soulwax doing the do

Siriusmo - Plastic Hips <-- the influences are all over the place here: 80s vocoders, eurodance synths, electoclash rhythm, IDM beat, and chick rap

Radioface - Lost in Amsterdam <-- perfect for coffee shops

Jody Wisternoff - How You Make Me Smile <-- summer club house, Robert Owens be proud

Cid Inc and Lank - Emotional Self <-- driving progressive house, Lank are always keeping it real with this stuff

Alexander Kowalski - Green Eyed <-- soundcloud tag reads 'detroit techno' but it's more like melodic house music with a techno hi-hat

Shaneus

Will respond to your post in a bit, davi, just have to post this. New LNTG, sounding hot and looks like there are some downloads left on his Soundcloud. Get it!

2-Nite, LNTG Re-edit

Does sound nice, but the time stretch algorithm that's being used is far too fluttery... brings the track down a notch or two. But otherwise, hot as fuck.

Shaneus

Oh wait. I thought davi's post was referring to a track compo, not a mix compo. Damn, I haven't made a mix in AGES but I know for sure my skills are up to scratch :)

Even if it's not a contest but just an excuse to all submit something and maybe a Beatport discount code or some crap as a "prize" would be good. Basically, something not taken too seriously. Reason I'm saying that is that there are too many variables in how people put mixes together. PC or on decks, with post-processing or not, that sort of thing.

Also, I'm no use at putting a mix together in Ableton or anything similar. Completely clueless bahaha

daviyoung

Banned
Oh wait. I thought davi's post was referring to a track compo, not a mix compo. Damn, I haven't made a mix in AGES but I know for sure my skills are up to scratch :)

Even if it's not a contest but just an excuse to all submit something and maybe a Beatport discount code or some crap as a "prize" would be good. Basically, something not taken too seriously. Reason I'm saying that is that there are too many variables in how people put mixes together. PC or on decks, with post-processing or not, that sort of thing.

Also, I'm no use at putting a mix together in Ableton or anything similar. Completely clueless bahaha

Ah, come on. It's not about the tools. Obviously they'll help if you want to get technical, but it's possible to make a solid sequenced mix with a tape deck and a line-in on your soundcard. It's the music that matters, so pick the right tunes and the right order and you're there. Layering, sampling, transitioning, post-processing etc are great, but there are many great mixes out there that are play/pause/play and they work just as well due to the track selection and a bit of creativity.

And I'm not too sure about a prize, it's more about just getting people to band together and present their favourite musics in a way that we're used to digesting it.

Shaneus

Oh yeah, that's what I was getting at. People might get *too* serious with it! I wouldn't be though, more about having fun and rocking out.

It's actually good though, your idea inspired me to test out Serato on my MSI Windpad 110W. To my surprise, even under Windows 8 preview, it works surprisingly well! Handy little setup for taking on the road, then. Tablet, Serato gear and a memory stick. No mouse or keyboard, just the basics.

On a completely unrelated note:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVoMJSMgsUM
http://soundcloud.com/situation/machine-gun-situation-edit

:D

Davidion

21JW

Ahhhhhhh. That makes a shitload more sense to me now. Doubt I'd like it any more than I did before, but at least I know where people who DO like it are coming from. Seriously, thanks :)
Fake edit: On looking up that track and actually *listening* to it, it's definitely a dub style... guess I didn't give the other track enough time to actually establish what timing it used. Still don't like or "get" it, though ;)

Pretty sure he was just referring to the fact that I didn't like that genre, not that the song was bad. Kinda like saying "If you thought Terminator 2 was bad, wait until you see True Lies."

No I actually just flat out can't stand Cbat. teehee!

The sound like City Star VIP and Cbat seems to be heralding that sharp, almost acidic synth and looks like it might be a thing coming out of Glasgow. Some of it like Cbat I can't stand whereas pieces like most of Rustie's output I enjoy.

You know what sound ought to have been a bigger presence in the big dub sound revival but isn't, and is as such a bit of a shame? Bmore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3L6ZV99tA0

Shaneus

No I actually just flat out can't stand Cbat. teehee!

The sound like City Star VIP and Cbat seems to be heralding that sharp, almost acidic synth and looks like it might be a thing coming out of Glasgow. Some of it like Cbat I can't stand whereas pieces like most of Rustie's output I enjoy.

You know what sound ought to have been a bigger presence in the big dub sound revival but isn't, and is as such a bit of a shame? Bmore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3L6ZV99tA0
What's "Bmore"? If that's considered "dub" as well, then I'm really not sure anymore because I don't mind that one bit. It's not necessarily my thing, but at least I can see what people would see in it.

PS. Downloading now Miroku. Some of my (personal) favourite bedroom mixes were done on a lazy Saturday/Sunday arvo (usually involving dancing around my living room in the process!). When you've got no-one to impress (or entertain) but yourself, that's when the best shit happens.

Miroku

PS. Downloading now Miroku. Some of my (personal) favourite bedroom mixes were done on a lazy Saturday/Sunday arvo (usually involving dancing around my living room in the process!). When you've got no-one to impress (or entertain) but yourself, that's when the best shit happens.

Hey thanks for taking the time. 15 years ago I was a perfectionist but nowadays with a demanding job and 2 kids and more music than I have time to properly learn I just want the instant gratification of mixing tracks together. If someone else can feel my own enjoyment through a recording then great :)

Davidion

What's "Bmore"? If that's considered "dub" as well, then I'm really not sure anymore because I don't mind that one bit. It's not necessarily my thing, but at least I can see what people would see in it.

It's Baltimore Club, known for relatively fast breakbeats, liberal use of looped vocal samples, and more famously, highly prominent use of drum samples from Lyn Collin's Think About It and Gaz's Sing sing. It's really fun stuff when done right; shit knows how to bounce.

If you listen to that Blaqstarr track I posted above, when set to the right tempo it's a really good mix with all manners of dub, hip hop, etc.

Random bmore mix on youtube (still DYING to find that Tameil remix of R. Kelly's Slow Wind that starts this video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjsPrMBc4fE

Outfield - Your Love (Roctakon remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMzs5eyA5so

Marvettes - Mr. Postman (bmore remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWKOaQ2XBBE

Usher - OMG (bmore remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkbR7w0t0vU

Shaneus

Hey thanks for taking the time. 15 years ago I was a perfectionist but nowadays with a demanding job and 2 kids and more music than I have time to properly learn I just want the instant gratification of mixing tracks together. If someone else can feel my own enjoyment through a recording then great :)
It's still downloading :/ For some reason, Soundcloud being STUPIDLY slow today.

Can I ask how you put it together? Decks or PC? Only curious because I found doing it "live" tends to lend itself to better flow in sets, whereas PC-based (sequenced) sets can be more precise as they lend themselves to less thinking on the fly and more analysis. But with kids, obviously pretty much the only way you'd be able to get it done ;)

PS. This bmore stuff is fun! I like it. Most of all, because it's playful and unpretentious. Dance/electronic needs far, far more of it. Kinda why I'm getting into the Greg Wilson-type stuff in a big way... it's from an era when people weren't try to get as many people to take drugs and wig out, just have a fucking good time on the dancefloor. Can't do that shit with Skrillex.
Edit: You mentioned those two track, but would "the Amen break" (aka The Winstons - Amen Brother) be another source? Because it sounds like the sort of music that would definitely sample it.

Davidion

^^

Speaking of having fun and rocking out, that's what I just did for an hour. It's not perfect but I don't care.

http://soundcloud.com/petee/petee-technosaturday

Techno tracks by Kevin Gorman, Peter Van Hoesen, DJ Hyperactive, Bas Mooy, Reeko, Planetary Assault Systems & more.

Yo someone's busting out the good swishy industrial flavored German stuff out.

PS. This bmore stuff is fun! I like it. Most of all, because it's playful and fun and unpretentious. Dance/electronic needs far, far more of it. Kinda why I'm getting into the Greg Wilson-type stuff in a big way... it's from an era when people weren't try to get as many people to take drugs and wig out, just have a fucking good time on the dancefloor. Can't do that shit with Skrillex.

Glad you like. The good stuff is a little hard to find because the sound didn't blow up in the right circles like Juke and to a lesser extent, Ghettotech did.

Really fun stuff wherever you can find it. Hell knows I can't find much.

Shaneus

Well, I've started listening to it. But it's a fucking awesome day weather-wise and I'm in a really happy mood, so I'm going to stop listening to it.

Not because I don't like it, mind you... but this music never leaves me happy and smiling ;) If I decide to start cleaning the house though, it's the first thing I'll put on!
Edit: Having a quick flick through... it sounds REALLY good. But like I said, it's not exactly daytime happy music. When getting ready to go out on a Saturday night though, I'll reach for it, guaranteed. Nice work!

Shaneus

Now that my tablet can easily play Serato shit, I'm-a going to work on tweaking and stripping down the Win8 install to get max performance.

Oh, before I forget, one of my favourite producers of the mid 00's (I think it was around 05-06 he produced the best tracks?) is back. I've still not made my mind up about his new tracks, but definitely something for Cosmic and okno, maybe for others here, too.
Jacques Lu Cont Soundcloud

Bonus - My favourite Lu Cont tracks:
The Music - Bleed From Within (Thin White Duke remix)
The Dysfunctional Psychedelic Waltons feat. Kelli Ali - Payback Time (Thin White Duke Mix)
Zoot Woman - Grey Day (Paper Faces remix)
Royksopp - What Else is There? (Jacques Lu Cont radio mix) (this is not the trancey, uplifting-y version you think it is. Trust me.)
Missy Elliott - Lose Control (JLC remix)
Cassius - My Feelings For You (Les Rhythmes Digitales remix)
Fischerspooner - Just Let Go (JLC remix)
Mirwais - Miss You (Thin White Duke remix)
Placebo - Pure Morning (Les Rythmes Digitales Remix)
Starsailor - Four to the Floor (TWD remix) (and as I recall, the first track in Australia where the remix charted and the original didn't)
Man With Guitar - Man With Guitar (I recall having a version that went for 8min or so, this is <5 :/ )
Les Rhythmes Digitales - Hey You, What's That Sound? (best video EVER)
Felix da Housecat - Ready 2 Wear (Paper Faces remix) (Definitely my favourite of his, and listed last because I had to create and upload a damn video myself! Hope it doesn't get pulled)

Anyway, bit of a nostalgia flashback for me there. Hopefully I'll enjoy those new ones as much as some of those older ones.

okno

LOVE the mix idea, been wanting to start something like that here for a while! Can't wait to peep your mixes Cosmic Bus and Miroku, both look ace! I need a lot new material for Thursday... A majority of my set this past Thursday was all stuff I've been playing for months, bleh... Keep the goods coming, guys!

:O Shaneus, that wall of music looks awesome haha!

Fellows, a bit of a lurker but a massive electronic music fan. Just wanted to pass on a great live set by Finnish artist Recue, entitled Do Not Disturb.

A live set built in a hotel room somewhere in Sweden based on messing around with random hip hop and pop-music vocals combining them with bits and pieces of unreleased Recue material.

HERE

It's what you'd expect from those crazy Finns, a classic headspace surgical Scandinavian feel, ala Nikko Lassi or Bad Loop.

Miroku

It's still downloading :/ For some reason, Soundcloud being STUPIDLY slow today.

Can I ask how you put it together? Decks or PC? Only curious because I found doing it "live" tends to lend itself to better flow in sets, whereas PC-based (sequenced) sets can be more precise as they lend themselves to less thinking on the fly and more analysis. But with kids, obviously pretty much the only way you'd be able to get it done ;)

I have Traktor Scratch Pro on my Macbook so I just have a bunch of MP3s that I can assign to the control vinyl. Basically I just mix the same as I would if I had the vinyl, but I cant afford records anymore so MP3s it is.

I haven't gotten used to all the features the software has and am uninterested in spending time setting up "beatgrids" for everything so I don't use any automatic mixing or beatmatching. I do it all with some good loud monitor speakers, headphones, a pair of Technics 1200s and an Allen&Heath mixer.

Jibbed

I'd be like cool man, you like him. That's fine :)

It'd be like mentioning any other musician.

Sweet! No offence guys, but I've always been apprehensive about posting in threads like this. I was kinda expecting outrage or something.. idk why.

Anyway, in all my 20 years I've only just recently branched out from rock/indie music. Skrillex was the first, now loving Alvin Risk, deadmau5 and a few others.

okno

Sweet! No offence guys, but I've always been apprehensive about posting in threads like this. I was kinda expecting outrage or something.. idk why.

Anyway, in all my 20 years I've only just recently branched out from rock/indie music. Skrillex was the first, now loving Alvin Risk, deadmau5 and a few others.

Welcome! I started off the same way, different artists but similar styles. I had always listened to electronic music growing up, but it was always really teeny boppy, J-Pop stuff, and then slowly transitioned over. It was funny, because yesterday I had a random memory pop up into my head, the first track that made me really realize I was getting tired of the mainstream stuff and hungered for something more visceral and, frankly, good: Puretone - Addicted to Bass (Apollo 440 Mix) Shortly after hearing this song, I went on a trip to London and my one returning souvenir was a copy of Apollo 440's Gettin' High On Your Own Supply :3

Well here it is, passed the afternoon atleast.

Hawks
Never been pt2 Ft Amber Ross & Rick Ross- Wiz Khalifa
Crusade - Sinjin Hawke
12 unleashed - ASAP Twelvy
After Light- Rustie
Guilty Conscious- Wiz Khalifa
Crystal Dust- Sinjin Hawke
FUSE- Hudson Mowhawk
Lemonade- Neptune (Sinjin Hawke Remix)

Divius

What software would you guys recommended if I also wanted to make a mix? I kinda want to give it a shot.

edit: liking your mix Johnlenham, cool track selection. Time for to look up some Wiz Khalifa & Sinjin Hawke.

Shaneus

It'd be like mentioning any other musician.
Yeah, like mentioning Nickelback in a metal thread ;)

Seriously, if you've just moved into listening to/liking electronic stuff, you'll probably find you'll get tired of it after a while and develop more eclectic tastes. We all didn't start off liking awesome shit right away! Hell, for a while I was big on progressive trance. But that was when it was cool ;)

Just enjoy music as it is though. Don't give a shit what anyone else thinks!

Top Bottom