• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Shaneus

Awakenings Festival next week, made a schedule for the DJs I want to see:

12:30 - 14:30 Robag Wruhme
14:30 - 16:45 Ricardo Villalobos
16:45 - 17:45 Gaiser (live)
17:45 - 19:30 Matthias Tanzmann & David Squillace B2B

And then I just need to pick a finisher for the rest of the night. (till 22:00-23:00 when I leave the festival)

Adam Beyer, Carl Cox, Ben Sims, Chris Liebing, PET Duo (lol, hell no), Joris Voorn or Marcel Fengler.

Think I'll just go with the flow, and probably will do so during daytime as well so my schedule is useless anyway. :D
You will NOT be disappointed with Robag. When I saw him, it was the most challenging set to listen to that I'd ever heard, but fuck me it was rewarding. One of the best sets I've seen. Just... man, do not miss it for the world.

As for those finishers... nothing really jumping out at me. Coxy's always reliable, but it's not rare to see him anywhere so if any of the others rarely perform live, see them instead. But when in doubt, you can always bet on the big black Cox ;)

Out of that list as well, I'd also try and make a point of seeing Marco Carola. Surprised the shit out of me when I saw him. Not on the same level as Robag (I doubt anything would be... though listening to Gesaffelstein, I think he'd be close) but will definitely be a guaranteed solid set.

Man, that is a killer lineup! If you can make time for it, do NOT miss out on Donato Dozzy. Such a brilliant DJ and producer.

And what I wouldn't do for a chance to see Whrume DJ :( Dude is just wacked out of his mind.
Kollektiv Turmstrasse - Heimat (Robag's Turmkolle Rekksmow)
Moenster - This Is For You [Robag Wruhme's Chukka Boot Rekksmö Rmx]
<3

edit: John, that's a Techno fest if I ever saw one! Looks like a really good one, too. I would lose my mind there, if only in trying to figure out what stage to be at at what time. There are at least two people on each stage that I would love to see. Have fun, Nyx!
Oh man, I can NOT understate just how fried my brain was after seeing him play. Stone cold sober, but the shit he played just pushed my boundaries something fierce. It was he who I first heard play that Superpitcher remix of The Difference It Makes by The MFA. That was one of the few tracks that showed up in Shazam. Just... there's no overstating how amazing it was. Probably went over the top of a lot of people's heads, but I just absorbed the whole thing. You'd fucking love it, it's a shame you haven't experienced him yet :(

Like, fucking seriously. How good is this?!? (by the time I saw him, this was literally the only song I knew of his... but it was enough to get me to see him)

Like, fucking seriously. How good is this?!? (by the time I saw him, this was literally the only song I knew of his... but it was enough to get me to see him)

Haha its mad how different everyone is in here. I have to say that is the first piece of music in a long time that I literally could not understand or get whatsoever. It pretty much reminded me of a dial up modem stuck in a horrible loop.

Then again I listen to stuff like this so chances are you think im just as nuts ;)
Coki-Bobs Pillow (boo radio rip)
Kahn & Neek - Percy
Gorgon Sound - Find Jah Way

daviyoung

Banned
CARL COX
2000andone
ADAM BEYER
MARCO CAROLA
RICARDO VILLALOBOS
DAVE CLARKE
GARY BECK
CHRIS LIEBING
JEFF MILLS
SPEEDY J
LAURENT GARNIER PRESENTS L.B.S. (LIVE)
ROBAG WRUHME
SAN PROPER
STIMMING (LIVE)
JOHN DIGWEED
JORIS VOORN

Woah, tech fest. Just my bag. Gotta try and get to this next year.

Shaneus

Haha, I used to play "Worktabular" all the time when I first started teaching myself to DJ. Now I can't stand the song! Here he is playing at a blkmarket party, such a groove!

That Michael Jackson song is just insane! I have to have it!
He didn't actually play Wortkabular when I saw him, but there's no way it would've fit into the set he played. So while I love that track dearly, it's probably more that it lead me to seeing his set that I have such a strong attachment to it. I hope it's only that you can't stand it because you heard it so much, not because you don't like that sort of music anymore ;)

Haha its mad how different everyone is in here. I have to say that is the first piece of music in a long time that I literally could not understand or get whatsoever. It pretty much reminded me of a dial up modem stuck in a horrible loop.

Then again I listen to stuff like this so chances are you think im just as nuts ;)
Coki-Bobs Pillow (boo radio rip)
Kahn & Neek - Percy
Gorgon Sound - Find Jah Way
More nuts :p

If it helps you to understand, I'm almost always hearing songs with a view to hearing/playing it in a club (even when I'm not) so it's easier for me to groove to steady rhythms that slowly build up/down over time... because that's what I'm used to. The stuff you linked to, to be honest, I couldn't get into at all, nothing about it appeals to me at all and I can't imagine where it could be played that people would enjoy listening/dancing to it. Blame me and my short-sightedness in that regard ;)

For reference, this is the sort of stuff he was playing. Far more varied than what I posted before. Note: I'm not trying to convince you of anything, just trying to give you the complete picture (or at least, a more accurate one!):
Robag Wruhme - Dakktylaff (Original Mix)
Robag Wruhme - Donnerkuppel (Original Mix)
Robag Wruhme - Dopamin
Robag Wruhme - Fittichklopfer **it was the tracks like this one that were the ones that pushed me, fyi

Also note: This is far from the stuff I listen to on a regular basis. And if I heard anyone else trying to do a set like that, I'd probably unplug their decks and run for the hills. I'm sure you have your own equivalent :)

(god damn, that was a long, unnecessary ramble. Apols!)

lush

Disclosure - Get Close
Mak & Pasteman - BBC Asian Network VIP Mix
Go Series 91: Sonar 2012 Selected and mixed by xxxy
01 DVA “Madness”
02 Eltron John “Not in your hand”
03 Untold “Motion the dance”
04 John Talabot “So will be now feat Pional”
05 Azari & III “Hungry for the power”
06 Maya Jane Coles “Little one”
07 The 2 Bears “Be strong”
08 Nehuen & xxxy “Jacktrax”
09 Doc Daneeka “Murder strings”
10 Kode9 “Black Sun”
11 Blawan “What you do with what you have”
12 Richie Hawtin “Minus Orange 1”
13 Modeselektor “The white flash”
14 CanBlaster “Jetpack”
15 Julio Bashmore “Battle for middle you”
16 Cooly G “Landscapes”
17 xxxy “Everything”
18 Brenmar “Temperature rising”
19 Nguzunguzu “Timesup”
20 Jacques Greene “(Baby I don’t know) What you want”
21 Nightwave “Feel”
22 Om Unit “Prawn cocktail (Salva remix)”
23 Lapalux “Gone”
24 Yosi Horikawa “Wandering”
25 Salva “Wake ups”

I love all of this.

I couldn't get into at all, nothing about it appeals to me at all and I can't imagine where it could be played that people would enjoy listening/dancing to it. Blame me and my short-sightedness in that regard ;)

Haha yeah I get you! Im just using this post as an excuse to post a few videos from saturday night!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymOeizHLyrk&feature=channel&list=UL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYmuOy_UsXU&feature=autoplay&list=ULymOeizHLyrk&playnext=1

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Anyone have any suggestions for albums similar to these two? I can't stop listening.

ibh4fYT9lQls1i.jpg

iDy3BGB0Im2ES.jpg

First is John Roberts' Glass Eights; the other is Lawrence's Absence Of Blight.

Shaneus

So. Nic Fanciulli coming up and the next week is Lil' Louis. I'm getting tired from all this going out and seeing of awesome acts, so I think I might have to choose. Who shall I pick? I'm leaning towards LL mainly because of his history and damn, when will he tour again? Fanciulli because, well, I'm sure it'll just be a great set. But I fear it may be less a purist's night out (still musical though) while LL will be a lot more grounded and "traditional", I guess.

Nyx

So. Nic Fanciulli coming up and the next week is Lil' Louis. I'm getting tired from all this going out and seeing of awesome acts, so I think I might have to choose. Who shall I pick? I'm leaning towards LL mainly because of his history and damn, when will he tour again? Fanciulli because, well, I'm sure it'll just be a great set. But I fear it may be less a purist's night out (still musical though) while LL will be a lot more grounded and "traditional", I guess.

L'il Louie for sure.

Is Nic Fanciulli a big deal then?
He runs a night in my local town called Saved, Ive never been as its full of people going to be seen, not to listen to music or when it is really good a better night is on in London haha.

daviyoung

Banned
While Lil Louis is a legend, I'd be wary of his legacy status.

I haven't heard any of his recent sets, but you have guys who still got it today: Laurent Garnier/Francois K, and you got guys who don't: A Guy Called Gerald.

No idea where Louis fits in, but you know what you're getting with Fanciulli.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

Guess it depends what kinda music you are interested in hearing... though I honestly didn't know Lil Louis was still touring! I've seen Nic a few times and he's played a lot of progno and tech-house type stuff... him and Joris Voorn doing a tag team set (I liked what Joris played much more than Nic during the set). I think if I were in that situation I'd go with Louis, gotta have to support a fellow NYer!

Shaneus

I tend to get a little carried away in those threads. Just so many fucking qualifiers, it's impossible to say what song in a particular genre is "the best". Though someone did kindly remind me just how fucking awesome this song was:
Freemasons - Love On My Mind (Original Extended)
There was a certain period around that time (mid 00's?) that had some of the purest disco/house music (IMO) since the early 80s. It was just getting funky and carefree, Full Intention and Freemasons were knocking tracks out of the park in the club and Daft Punk (and Fred Falke, Cassius etc.) were doing it a little better on the commercial side of things. Probably my favourite period of dance music in terms of ones I actually got to experience first-hand. Probably helps it was around the same time I started having the odd pill here or there, too ;)

Thread also reminded me of this, too. Fucking great to see Greg Wilson jumping in on the Soundcloud page to give it props again, especially when he doesn't have to. And following his link to one of his mixes, actually answering peoples questions about particular tracks he played in it. An almost unheard of practise these days.

Guess it depends what kinda music you are interested in hearing... though I honestly didn't know Lil Louis was still touring! I've seen Nic a few times and he's played a lot of progno and tech-house type stuff... him and Joris Voorn doing a tag team set (I liked what Joris played much more than Nic during the set). I think if I were in that situation I'd go with Louis, gotta have to support a fellow NYer!
Yeah, I get the idea that seeing Fanciulli won't be all that much different (to be honest) than seeing any other number of UK progno (I'm stealing that!) DJs a la Digweed et al. Lil' Louis I imagine will at least be interesting, if not awesome... and these days, I'd much rather see an average set that's interesting than a (technically) "good" set that bores the shit out of me.

I can still go to both, mind... but I honestly find myself getting bored during most prog sets :/

Edit: Shit. Following on from that Greg Wilson reference, this is ridiculously hot shit. It sounds like a track that most people in this thread will like, even those whose genres I think are really fucking weird ;)

lush

Addison Groove Mix for Fly 53
FACT Mix 335: Brenmar
1. Beatking (Brenmar Intro)
2. Floyd Campbell &#8211; Multipass
3. Dj Ludy &#8211; PrOs Meus Niggas Da Tuga [2012]
4. Graphics &#8211; Klut
5. Ill Blu &#8211; Late Night
6. Brenmar &#8211; Children Of The Night ft.. Kaleena Zanders
7. Brenmar & Dj Sliink &#8211; Bait
8. Girl Unit &#8211; Club Rez
9. G-Seven &#8211; T.I.T.S. (Two In The Shirt) ft. Dorrough Music
10. Chiefli &#8211; Invasion
11. Shy GUy &#8211; 8-Bit Cartiers
12. Tory Lanez &#8211; She Like It Ruff
13. Aka Frank &#8211; My Dick Aint Racist
14. Sinden & 5&5 &#8211; Coin Power
15. Nebulae &#8211; Nazareth (zAK-MATIC Remix)
16. Jim Jones &#8211; 60 Racks
17. EMP DASME &#8211; Had A Dream (Produced By Brenmar)
18. Rudeboi & Pretti Sly &#8211; Ocho Cinco Swag (Instrumental)
19. Murder Mark &#8211; Unh (Instrumental)
20. Bei Maejor &#8211; Lights Down Low
21. Lil Durk &#8211; I Get Paid
22. Ra Cailum &#8211; Al-Sham
23. DJ Rashad &#8211; Kush Aint Loud
24. Supreme Cuts &#8211; Val Venus (Brenmar Remix)
25. BARQI &#8211; ARABIC LAQUISHA EDIT
26. Rudeboy &#8211; El Passa Passa Del Marciano ft. feat. El Ivis
27. Brenmar & Dubble Dutch &#8211; Ghost Note
28. Yomo &#8211; Descara&#769; 2 (La Revolucion) (Instrumental) ft. Wisin & Yandel
29. YG &#8211; Pop It
30. K-Hill On The Beat &#8211; I&#8217;m Hood (Instrumental)
31. Brenmar &#8211; Remedy Refix
32. Mia Dora &#8211; Hypnotise
33. Brenmar &#8211; GF/BF
34. Chin Chilla Meek &#8211; Fucked Up
35. Boy/friend &#8211; Leather Weather (Brenmar Remix)
36. Nina Sky &#8211; Comatose (Produced By Brenmar)

123mrk - noname (Pixelord remix) PREVIEW
Reptar - House Boat Babies (Jim-E Stack Remix)
Justice - New Lands (A-Trak Remix)
(lol)
B-Ju - Bird Call
:pAPERCUTZ - Rivers (Synkro Remix)
Darling Farah - Body
Neon Rider - All Tonight

Also, new Little Boots Remix: Little Boots - Headphones (Moon Boots remix)

Can anyone recommend some really great edits or a great resource for finding new/good ones? I need more.

daviyoung

Banned
This is fuckin' great

DJ Z-Trip and DJ P - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

01. DJ P - Waffle House Skit
02. Glen Campbell - Rhinestone Cowboy+ Nairobi - Funky Soul Makossa (Free Beats)
03. Pink Floyd - Run Like Hell
04. Barry De Vorzon - Baseball Furies Chase+ Michael Viner's Incredible Bongo Band - Apache
05. Madonna - Like A Prayer (Churchapella)+ Depeche Mode - Condemnation
06. Bruce Hornsby - The Way It Is+ Newcleus - Jam On It+ Run-DMC - It's Like That
07. Midnight Oil - Beds Are Burning+ Metallica - For Whom The Bell Tolls
08. Ready For The World - Oh Sheila (Acappella)
09. Kansas - Dust In The Wind+ LL Cool J - Dear Yvette (Break)
10. Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight+ Del Tha Funkee Homosapien - Phony Phranchise
11. The Who - Eminence Front
12. Redman - I'll Be Dat+ The Police - Walking In Your Footsteps+ Take 6 - Spread Love
13. Metallica - One+ D-Nice - Call Me D-Nice
14. John Williams - Imperial March (Breaks Mix)
15. Tears For Fears - Woman In Chains+ The Wax Fondler - Sqratch Fetishes Of The Third Kind
16. Rush - Tom Sawyer+ Beastie Boys - The New Style+ Kurtis Blow - If I Ruled The World
17. Natural Born Chillers - Rock The Funky Beats+ AC/DC - Back In Black
18. Peter Schilling - Major Tom (Coming Home)+ Unknown Artist - Unknown (Break)
19. Unknown Artist - Crank Yankers Skit
20. The Pharcyde - Passing Me By+ Pat Benatar - Love Is A Battlefield
21. Eagles - I Can't Tell You Why+ Sir Mix-A-Lot - Godzilla Posse' Beats+ Boogie Down Productions - Why Is That
22. Herbie Hancock - Rockit+ Naked Eyes - Promises, Promises+ Public Enemy - Bring The Noise
23. Stan Getz - The Girl From Ipanema+ Afrika Bambaataa - Planet Rock
24. Cyndi Lauper - Time After Time+ Afrika Bambaataa - Planet Rock+ Ratt - Round + Round
25. Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)+ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. - I Have A Dream Speech
26. Kamikaze 185 - Yesterday

okno

Edit: Shit. Following on from that Greg Wilson reference, this is ridiculously hot shit. It sounds like a track that most people in this thread will like, even those whose genres I think are really fucking weird ;)

I have been talking Elijah Collins up for WEEKS now! The guy is an awesome producer. Call On You is just such hot shit. He's definitely one to keep an eye on.

lush, that Little Boots remix is great. I've been in love with Moon Boots ever since I heard Off My Mind. Such a fun producer.

Self promo time! I'm DJing at Le Poisson Rouge in Manhattan on Friday! If you're in NYC, with nothing to do, come! $10 entry, decently priced drinks on the inside. It's a record release party, so I'll be opening and closing it, with an interim set between acts. I'm semi-sort-of-kind-of freaking out, as I've never played at a venue as big as LPR. Any recs y'all have, throw them at me! I'll be playing lots of disco, edits, and house. I'm not very familiar with this Kat Solar chick, but she makes Madonna music, so it'll be a pretty fun and lively atmosphere.

Shaneus

I have been talking Elijah Collins up for WEEKS now! The guy is an awesome producer. Call On You is just such hot shit. He's definitely one to keep an eye on.
Um, holy shit that's awesome as well. Like, real disco sensibilities with a HEAVY dose of some P-Funk and good ol' 21st century production.

At the risk of sounding like a member of the Sugarhill Gang, Call On You is 100% dope. No other word just feels right!

Any other tracks I should check out of his? Or any mixes? Apologies for not noticing any other posts of yours that mentioned him... there's too much to keep track of in here :(

One more thing: What genre is it? I wouldn't know where to start classifying it...

Fuck. One more: Is that vocal a sample of Groove Armada? My Friend, I think it's called?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Discogs Highest Rated Album list - conclusion? Discogs loves the dub techno... actually quite a bit of that doesn't look too familiar for me, my favorites in that list would be Midtown 120 Blues, DIY, and of course Balance 005 and Northern Exposure.

And the 5 original postings to the site:
1. The Persuader - Stockholm
2. Mr. James Barth & A.D. - Knockin' Boots Vol 2 Of 2
3. Josh Wink - Profound Sounds Vol. 1
4. Faze Action - Moving Cities
5. DATacide - Flowerhead

daviyoung

Banned
Discogs is busted for me for some reason. Loads slow as hell and looks like balls when it does finally load. Am I the only one?

Yeh it does that for me too, the CSS fails to load constantly and the site is old as balls. I still don't get the albums rating thing at all though, so I'll stay away from it.

Yeh it does that for me too, the CSS fails to load constantly and the site is old as balls. I still don't get the albums rating thing at all though, so I'll stay away from it.

From what I could get out of it, its just like amazon reviews. So you could go on amazon and sort by the most popular in the album section and thats the list.

Shackleton is number 10 which I thought was pretty intresting.

Top Bottom