• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

No idea how old this is but I stumbled across it yesterday, listened to it about 3 times now.
Kode9
Hyperdub, London

Massive - Find My Way (Kode9 remix) - Dub
Burial - Distant Lights (Kode9 remix) - Hyperdub
Phokus feat. Tinchy Stryder & Dirty Danger - Dem All Shot - MG77
Martyn - Broken - Revolver
Horsepower - Classic Deluxe - Tempa
Wiley - WD25 -True Tiger
Timeblind - Ontological - Soot
Kode9 & The Spaceape feat. Ms. Haptic - Curious - Hyperdub
Kode9 - 9 Samurai - Hyperdub
Burial - South London Boroughs - Hyperdub
Kode9 & The Spaceape - Backward - Hyperdub
Skream - I (Loefah remix) - Tempa
Kode9 & The Spaceape - Portal - Hyperdub
Benny Ill, Kode9 & The Culprit (Kode9 remix) - Fat Larry's Skank - Tempa
Skream - Untitled - Dub
Kode9 - Victims Dub - Hyperdub
Geiom - Feel So Bad - Berkane Sol
Kode9 - Addiction Dub - Hyperdub
Crimpo - Kryptonite - White
Digital Mystikz - Blue Notes - DMZ
Southern Comfort - Knuck - Tasty Grits
Loefah - Ruffage - DMZ
Landslide - Untitled - Dub
Tubby - Tiger Style - Dub
Landslide - Splurt Dub - Dub
Digital Mystikz - Bury the Bwoy - DMZ
Skream - Blipstream - Tempa
Sizzla/Mk1 - I've Got To - Contagious
Frankie Solar - Untitled - Dub
Skream/JME - Tapped - Tempa
Kode9 - Untitled - Dub
Sizzla/Digital Mystikz - Untitled - Dub
Digital Mystikz - King Of Kings - Dub
Digital Mystikz - Left Leg Out - DMZ
Maddslinky - Cargo - Laws Of Motion
Digital Mystikz - Anti-War Dub - DMZ
Loefah - Mud - DMZ
Skream - Request Line - Tempa
Grain - Untitled - White
Kode9 & Spaceape - Quantum - Hyperdub
Digital Mystikz - Hunter - Dub
Cluekid - Untitled - Dub
Lofeah - Indian Dub (Skream remix) - Dub
Richie Spice/Digital Mystikz - Burnin' Marijuana - Dub
Digital Mystikz - New Life Baby Paris - Dub

Didnt think I liked Kode 9 and The Spaces Apes songs much but they seemed to click for me in the mix, I guess song after song of that crazy vocal gets abit much but spread out it works alot better.

Top of the page is a dubstep post.
tumblr_llax2rbRRS1qg87cc.gif

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I need alot of house music recs. Alot.

Not necessarily ed banger stuff, but something similar to their sound would be nice. Also would like to discover more american house like BT and kaskade.

Antiwhippy

Sure.

I'm just in the mood to listen to a shit ton of house music now for whatever reason. :p Plus I realise my knowledge of it really only extends to ed banger stuff, BT and kaskade. Some Omar S too.

Antiwhippy

Listening to Can you hear me now and Break my Soul and they're a bit more trancier/progressive than what I had in mind, but I can really dig their stuff. They have a pretty damn good female lead vocal, which always helps. :p

Listening to Can you hear me now and Break my Soul and they're a bit more trancier/progressive than what I had in mind, but I can really dig their stuff. They have a pretty damn good female lead vocal, which always helps. :p

I like their older stuff, like Wide Angle. Their new stuff tries to be too..."epic".

daviyoung

Banned
Well, IMA is really prog trancey and Binary Universe is like a mish-mash of IDM, breaks and trance. Hybrid are a similarly skillful mash of genres, bit more club orientated I guess, and they seemed like a good fit. Wide Angle, Morning Sci-Fi and Remix and Additional Production By...are worth checking out if you like BT.

Antiwhippy

Listening to Etienne de Cecy and kavinsky, I guess I'm more searching for stuff like this. Dancy and funky.

Awesome recs, btw. Thanks.

Well, IMA is really prog trancey and Binary Universe is like a mish-mash of IDM, breaks and trance. Hybrid are a similarly skillful mash of genres, bit more club orientated I guess, and they seemed like a good fit. Wide Angle, Morning Sci-Fi and Remix and Additional Production By...are worth checking out if you like BT.

Oh I appreciate it, I really like their sound, it's just that I'm more feeling the dancier and funkier house music now.

I can't really name an entire BT album I like. I like different selections from various albums, but there is a lot of cheezy shit you have to weed through to get to the true gems.

daviyoung

Banned
Listening to Etienne de Cecy and kavinsky, I guess I'm more searching for stuff like this. Dancy and funky.

Right-on. Maybe Le Hammond Inferno or Jean Jacques Smoothie? Check out Yousef too http://www.yousef.co.uk/ . Loads of mixes from him there, he's a solid house DJ.

ESCM is my favourite BT album, Nectar is a helluva tune. The album's not as samey as IMA, or as slapstick as Movement in Still Life. It's a solid and diverse mix of genres, easily re-listenable (?). They're all entertaining though, except whatever the album is with Communicate on it. That's one's balls.

Antiwhippy

Thanks for the recs guys, will be compiling a list to check out later on. Also thanks for the spotify rec too.

Yeah, I do like alot of french electro/house, though I also really want to explore more american progressive house too. Listed BT because other than kaskade he's the only american house artist I know and like really.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Thanks for the recs guys, will be compiling a list to check out later on. Also thanks for the spotify rec too.

Yeah, I do like alot of french electro/house, though I also really want to explore more american progressive house too. Listed BT because other than kaskade he's the only american house artist I know and like really.

American prog DJs? Jimmy Van M, Markus Schulz, Chris Fortier, Steve Porter, and Gabriel&Dresden are probably the best known. Of course if you want to get the best in prog, you'd have to go to the UK back in the late 90's... namely Sasha and Digweed sets from that era. Also, Nick Warren, Danny Howells, Hernan Cattaneo, and Eelke Kleijn.

Some other stateside house DJs, this is a variety of different house genres:
-Lil Louis/Masters at Work (latin-tinged deep house)
-DJ Sneak (deep/funky/soulful house)
-Derrick Carter (funky house)
-Mark Farina (deep house/jazz funk)
-Dennis Ferrer (deep house, though formerly was a psytrance DJ)
-Martinez Brothers (tech house)
-Junior Vasquez (hard house)
-Peter Rauhofer (hard house)
-Kerri Chandler (deep house)
-Todd Edwards (garage)
-Jus Ed (deep/soulful house)
-Kyle Hall (deep/soulful house)
-Frankie Knuckles (house, of course :p)

Nyx

Of course if you want to get the best in prog, you'd have to go to the UK back in the late 90's... namely Sasha and Digweed sets from that era. Also, Nick Warren, Danny Howells, Hernan Cattaneo, and Eelke Kleijn.

Just find the Global Underground CDs, a whole history of prog, and so many legendary CDs.

Hernan Cattaneo

Woop!
I was going to say Sasha and Digweed but I didnt know if that was obvious or not.
House people I like alot recently would be:

Art Department (essential mix and album)
Maceo Plex (esssentail mix and album)
Jamie Jones and other people on Hot Creations
Maya Jane Coles (her Dj kicks mix and essential mix is a good place to start)
Juilo Bashmore (spelt wrong)
Dirty Bird label (claude von stroke, Justin Martin, French Fries etc)
Miguel Cambell (couldnt find many mixes by him though)

Not prog house though but its all good (imo ofcourse ;) )

Shaneus

I like how much the new Presets track, "Youth in Trouble," sounds like a '90s Underworld b-side. Would be interesting if they choose to drop electropop entirely on this album and continue in this direction.
My god you're right. That wouldn't be out of place on Second Toughest or Dubnobass. But... heavy Moroder influence there that's I've never really picked up on in Underworld tracks. And that vocal... that's Underworld all over, too.

Can't wait for the remixes... or at least, the dub/instrumental.

Antiwhippy

American prog DJs? Jimmy Van M, Markus Schulz, Chris Fortier, Steve Porter, and Gabriel&Dresden are probably the best known. Of course if you want to get the best in prog, you'd have to go to the UK back in the late 90's... namely Sasha and Digweed sets from that era. Also, Nick Warren, Danny Howells, Hernan Cattaneo, and Eelke Kleijn.

-Todd Edwards (garage)

Woop!
I was going to say Sasha and Digweed but I didnt know if that was obvious or not.
House people I like alot recently would be:

Art Department (essential mix and album)
Maceo Plex (esssentail mix and album)
Jamie Jones and other people on Hot Creations
Maya Jane Coles (her Dj kicks mix and essential mix is a good place to start)
Juilo Bashmore (spelt wrong)
Dirty Bird label (claude von stroke, Justin Martin, French Fries etc)
Miguel Cambell (couldnt find many mixes by him though)

Not prog house though but its all good (imo ofcourse ;) )

Awesome, thanks. Will be checking those out.

I think I'll just have a week where I drown in house.

joelseph

My personal US DJ recommendations:

DJ Rupture and Lamin
Venus X and $hayne
Kingdom
nguzunguzu
Total Freedom
Brenmar
Lunice
LOL Boys

Chaplain

-Todd Edwards (garage)

You forgot two legendary US house DJs:

Doc Martin
Steve Loria

Jaytech Music Podcast 054

Direct download link from Jaytech's soundcloud page.

Hour 1 - Jaytech

1. Ormatie - Only (DAVI B-Side Remix) [Hope Recordings]
2. Claes Rosen - Starlight [Spring Tube]
3. Fon.Leman - Cape of Hope [Bomba Records]
4. Thomas Feijk - Hi (Jarkko S's Peak Time Remix) [Macarize]
5. Roger Martinez - Die Magische Tijd [Gem Records]
6. Miss Mavrik & Mandrak - Haymaker [Lowbit]
7. Fon.Leman - L.A [Bomba Records]
8. Kazusa - Lizard (Rewoven Mix) [Silk]
9. Vitodito & Soulforge Pres. Positiva - Ask Yourself (Ninesh Babu Remix) [Neuroscience Deep]
10. Airsoul - Asia [Alter Ego]
11. Simone Anes - Love is a Battlefield (Original Instrumental Mix) [Electronic Elements]

Hour 2 - Johan Vilborg

1. Johan Vilborg - ID
2. Johan Vilborg - Fall (Original Mix) [Silk Royal]
3. Johan Vilborg - Leaving Home (Original Mix) [Silk Royal]
4. Alpha 9 - Bliss (Club Mix) [Flashover]
5. Mango - Good Morning Track (Tom Fall Remix) [Silk Royal]
6. Johan Vilborg - Warmer Days (Original Mix) [Silk Royal]
7. The Blizzard - Piercing The Fog (Original Mix) [Armada]
8. Martire pres X&Y - New Beginnings (Solid Stone Remix) [Alter Ego]
9. Johan Vilborg - Altara (Nigel Good Remix) [Silk Royal]
10 axisONE - Altair (Alternative Mix) [Macarize]
11. Feeltz - Don't Hold Me Back(Eric Shaw Remix) [Dangerbox]

daviyoung

Banned
I'm about 10 years late to this, but can anyone recommend any decent podcasts? So far I've got Resident Advisor and a few others but they don't update so frequently. Any ones that are weekly or fortnightly?

Question: Have you used a "real" mixer or CDJs before?

Neither.

It's just been a case of getting used to Traktor Pro and not being able to cue songs through my headphones which I was finding difficult.

The way I have it set up is my PC is connected to my TV via HDMI, I wanted Deck A to play through my TV's speakers and Deck B play through my headphones so I could hopefully beat match and cue the next track. Spent hours last night trying to get it to work like that but apparently Traktor doesn't allow that sought of set up.

Don't really have the space in my room for dedicated speakers to connect directly into the S2 so I've ended up setting it to play just through the headphones plugged into the S2, Left ear Deck A right ear Deck B to track cue.

djtiesto

I'm about 10 years late to this, but can anyone recommend any decent podcasts? So far I've got Resident Advisor and a few others but they don't update so frequently. Any ones that are weekly or fortnightly?

FUCK, I had a really nice post for you but it got deleted. Oh well here we go again:

Faciendo podcast - Desyn Masiello, Tom Morgan, and other DJs. They don't update too often but they have a lot of deep/tech house goodies:
http://soundcloud.com/faciendo/sets/faciendo-radio-show-editions/

Spirit Soul Mix Archive specializes in mixes from different DJs, usually deep/funky/disco house.

Josh Wink's Profound Sounds is good for a mix of classic house/techno and more current mnml/tech house vibes.

Markus Schulz's Global DJ Broadcast has been playing some nice progressive tunes lately, there might be a bit of fluffy trance here and there though that might turn you off.

I also go to the Tranceaddict forums DJ Promotion page. There's a ton of mixes that get posted there, in a whole host of EDM genres across time... so you will have stuff like "90's progressive house mix" next to a modern day liquid D&B mix. Many of the DJs there are very talented too... my favorite lately is this one After Airports, Before Orbs, an 80's retro-future ambient mix. Highly recommend it to anybody in this thread who likes ambient stuff.

HiResDes

Tracklisting said:
1 Egyptrixx “Levitate”
2 Monolake “Hitting The Surface” Electric Indigo Edit (CD Edit)
3 Addison Groove “Manic Miner”
4 Bambounou “Pixel”
5 Clark “Nordic Wilt”
6 Mouse On Mars “Humoslab”
7 Lazer Sword “Landscape”
8 Phon.o “Fukushima”
9 Sound Pellegrino Thermal Team “Activate”
10 Martyn “Red Dancers”
11 Modeselektor “Maik The Chicken” (CD Edit)
12 Diamond Version “ModeOperator(Beispiel A)”
13 Soft Circle “Finna Fury”
14 Prefuse 73 “Death by Barber pt.1 (Haircut Zero)”
15 Frikstailers “Sudaka Invasor ”
16 Siriusmo “Modern Talk”
17 Jan Driver “Distorsione for Strings”
18 Anstam “Observing The Patterns”

...If you're not super impoverished find a way to get this thing

okno

Johnlenham, that festival looks bomb, especially the second day! I wouldn't leave Ec-lectricity stage if I were there.

I had the awesome opportunity to DJ last night at Le Poisson Rouge (for you non-New Yorkers, it's one of the bigger and more famous indie rock clubs/venues in NYC) and it went really, really well. I took full advantage of their sound system, and at the end several people even told me I did better than the two billed acts :3 I think some of you guys will get a kick out of it. Mostly nu-disco tracks with some house and UK funky sprinkled in. A large portion of the music is from Electrique Music, which is really quickly becoming one of my absolute favorite labels. Enjoy! edit: rumor has it that that Humorous Norwegian Disco Alias is actually Todd Terje in disguise, such a fun track.

Rolling Stones - You Can't Always Get What You Want (Soulwax Remix)
Groove Armada - Are Friends Electric
Drop Out Orchestra - Sun Machine (feat the Reverb Junkie)
Jeremy Glenn - New Life (Perseus 'Summer of 83' Remix)
Venedikt Reyf - Sexpionage (feat. Thomas Gaertner & L. Cooper)
La Royale - Another One Bites the Dust (La Royale Edit)
Drop Out Orchestra - Praise
M - Pop Muzik (Todd Terje Remix)
Soundspace - You & Me
Bjork - Earth Intruders (XXXchange Remix)
Bufi & La Royale - Fascination
Andre VII - La Merca
Mirror People - Feel the Need (feat. Rowetta)
Bufi - Will Be (Original Mix)
Andy Ash - Timmy
Humorous Norwegian Disco Alias - I Work Out (Scream & Shout) (Special Maxi Version)
Zombies In Miami - Heartbreak
Tom Trago - Corrupt (feat. San Proper)
B.D.I. - Paper Tears
Disclosure - Livid Up
-
Freaks & Stella Attar - We Move (Original Mix)
Avanti - Telekinesis (Billy Bogus Exoteric Mix)
Azari & III - Manic (Maceo Plex Remix)
Hardrive - Deep Inside
Disclosure - What's In Your Head
Metronomoy - The Bay (Wax Cotton Remix)
TIGHT - Sunday Ride
Robert Hood - Dancer
Storm Queen - Look Right Through (Vox Mix)
KiNK - Pussy (feat. Rachel Row)
Jimmy Edgar - New Touch (Jimmy Edgar's Hard Makeover)
Bufi - Will Be (Extended Club Mix)
Inner City - Big Fun (Simian Mobile Disco Remix)
Scuba - Feel It

djtiesto

^ who were the billed acts? Congrats on that gig, btw... LPR is one of my favorite venues in the city. Will definitely check the mix out while I grind levels in this stupid game :p

okno

Derek Nicoletto and Kat Solar. It was her record release party. She makes the same kind of electro-pop as Lady Gaga, Madonna, etc. Nothing mind blowing, but she was fun. Derek does rock music, reminded me a lot of Ima Robot. Was an interesting night, musically.

edit: I should also note that I did NOT intend to use that Avanti track twice and didn't even realize I had done that until listening to it last night, haha. No one seemed to notice, though, I think...

lush

Mix looks great, will definitely check it out. Congrats.

Friends of Friends Remixes '12
1. Shlohmo – Rained The Whole Time (Nicolas Jaar Remix) x Number One (Hemsworth Blend)
2. Lil’ Wayne – Nightmares of the Bottom (LOL Boys Edit)
3. Lianne La Havas – Lost & Found (Ernest Gonzales Remix)
4. Nicki Minaj – Super Bass (Groundislava Remix)
5. Kanye West – Mercy (RL Grime & Salva Remix)
6. Tyga – Rack City (Tomas Barfod 909 Edit)
7. Jamie Foxx – Blame It (Groundislava Cool Mix)
8. Drake – Crew Love ft. The Weeknd (Shlohmo Remix)

Free Download

daviyoung

Banned
FUCK, I had a really nice post for you but it got deleted. Oh well here we go again:

Faciendo podcast - Desyn Masiello, Tom Morgan, and other DJs. They don't update too often but they have a lot of deep/tech house goodies:
http://soundcloud.com/faciendo/sets/faciendo-radio-show-editions/

Spirit Soul Mix Archive specializes in mixes from different DJs, usually deep/funky/disco house.

Josh Wink's Profound Sounds is good for a mix of classic house/techno and more current mnml/tech house vibes.

Markus Schulz's Global DJ Broadcast has been playing some nice progressive tunes lately, there might be a bit of fluffy trance here and there though that might turn you off.

I also go to the Tranceaddict forums DJ Promotion page. There's a ton of mixes that get posted there, in a whole host of EDM genres across time... so you will have stuff like "90's progressive house mix" next to a modern day liquid D&B mix. Many of the DJs there are very talented too... my favorite lately is this one After Airports, Before Orbs, an 80's retro-future ambient mix. Highly recommend it to anybody in this thread who likes ambient stuff.

Nice one dude! Really digging the Faciendo sets and the the Profound Sound one. Thanks for that. I found Electronic Groove and Solid Steel on my searching too, they're really good.

Anyway, Hybrid have a new album out 30 July called 'Classics'. I don't know any details other than it'll feature this song, a cover of Depeche Mode - Enjoy The Silence. It sounds like Hybrid, after the break at least, but it's not doing it for me. Guess it's a grower. Will check out the album when it comes out.

And one more: Indidginus - Mercy Me electro dancehall

17 Jan Driver “Distorsione for Strings”

LOL, Jan Driver's still making stuff? Gotta listen.

Shaneus

Johnlenham, that festival looks bomb, especially the second day! I wouldn't leave Ec-lectricity stage if I were there.

I had the awesome opportunity to DJ last night at Le Poisson Rouge (for you non-New Yorkers, it's one of the bigger and more famous indie rock clubs/venues in NYC) and it went really, really well. I took full advantage of their sound system, and at the end several people even told me I did better than the two billed acts :3 I think some of you guys will get a kick out of it. Mostly nu-disco tracks with some house and UK funky sprinkled in. A large portion of the music is from Electrique Music, which is really quickly becoming one of my absolute favorite labels. Enjoy! edit: rumor has it that that Humorous Norwegian Disco Alias is actually Todd Terje in disguise, such a fun track.

Rolling Stones - You Can't Always Get What You Want (Soulwax Remix)
Groove Armada - Are Friends Electric
Drop Out Orchestra - Sun Machine (feat the Reverb Junkie)
Jeremy Glenn - New Life (Perseus 'Summer of 83' Remix)
Venedikt Reyf - Sexpionage (feat. Thomas Gaertner & L. Cooper)
La Royale - Another One Bites the Dust (La Royale Edit)
Drop Out Orchestra - Praise
M - Pop Muzik (Todd Terje Remix)
Soundspace - You & Me
Bjork - Earth Intruders (XXXchange Remix)
Bufi & La Royale - Fascination
Andre VII - La Merca
Mirror People - Feel the Need (feat. Rowetta)
Bufi - Will Be (Original Mix)
Andy Ash - Timmy
Humorous Norwegian Disco Alias - I Work Out (Scream & Shout) (Special Maxi Version)
Zombies In Miami - Heartbreak
Tom Trago - Corrupt (feat. San Proper)
B.D.I. - Paper Tears
Disclosure - Livid Up
-
Freaks & Stella Attar - We Move (Original Mix)
Azari & III - Manic (Maceo Plex Remix)
Hardrive - Deep Inside
Disclosure - What's In Your Head
Metronomoy - The Bay (Wax Cotton Remix)
TIGHT - Sunday Ride
Robert Hood - Dancer
Storm Queen - Look Right Through (Vox Mix)
KiNK - Pussy (feat. Rachel Row)
Jimmy Edgar - New Touch (Jimmy Edgar's Hard Makeover)
Bufi - Will Be (Extended Club Mix)
Inner City - Big Fun (Simian Mobile Disco Remix)
Scuba - Feel It
You had me at "hello". Don't recognise most of those tracks, but your description and the fact you opened with THAT Soulwax remix (followed by THAT GA track that sounds nothing like GA, imo) has sold me. Don't usually go out of my way to listen to mixes that aren't by big names or not EMs, but I'll definitely put this one on.

PS. Jan Driver? Man, that's a name I haven't heard for AGES. Always loved this track. Thinking about music now, one could easily get away with playing it today. Sounds quite current, actually.

okno

You had me at "hello". Don't recognise most of those tracks, but your description and the fact you opened with THAT Soulwax remix (followed by THAT GA track that sounds nothing like GA, imo) has sold me. Don't usually go out of my way to listen to mixes that aren't by big names or not EMs, but I'll definitely put this one on.

PS. Jan Driver? Man, that's a name I haven't heard for AGES. Always loved this track. Thinking about music now, one could easily get away with playing it today. Sounds quite current, actually.

:) Thanks, that's flattering. I'll be honest, I straight up stole that Rolling Stones > Groove Armada from Greg Wilson's RA Podcast. The transition is all sorts of horrible (I let my nerves get the best of me at the beginning, but I settled in once I put on "Sun Machine"). I think the set is right up your alley!

I haven't been able to stop singing "Praise" all day. Such a fun song.

Shaneus

If you get a chance, look out for any number of versions people have done of an original/Soulwax mashup of the track, inspired from the movie "21" where, for the closing credits, that's what it does. My brother did one if you can't find one online, although that shouldn't be too hard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WISzayoZZKo
Always get chills at the part of the track (1:55 in your mix) with that choir. <3 Soulwax.
PS. Thinking Are Friends Electric/Burning Down the House (Talking Heads) mashup is in order.

PPS. With all these old edits coming back into fashion, I think I might start hunting down/going through the old Ultimix back-catalogue. Toed the line perfectly between full-on remix and re-edit. Like this, for example (though I know there are better).

Add this to the pile of podcasts that seldomly updates (there is a backlog though), but they remain my favorite. They used to do weekly shows for WNUR in Evanston IL.

Clinically Inclined

I'm very sentimental over their B12 Special Broadcast (Part 2) and their Final Live Broadcast (Part 2).

m50 took over for Dave Siska and Matt MacQueen, which might be another podcast to check out.

Yeah man Friday is not even on the same level as saturday. Elec-tricity and Global stage should be nuts. Im hoping alot of the people I really want to see (Sasha,Art Department,Maceo plex) are on late in the evening!

Guess ill get on the mixes posted then!

Top Bottom