• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

K.Sabot

Was spinning the new Andy Stott earlier and I definitely like it more than his first album at least.

Not sure about comparisons to We Stay Together, but the vocals really add to the atmosphere. Like a slower, darker Kindred EP.

Jack_AG

Banned
Hey GAF - need to pick your brain. A friend of mine wants to Kickstart an album - he's a great musician but asked me what I thought about his idea so im opening this question up to a broader audience...

He wants to ask for 1500 USD to create an album released under Creative Commons (non-commercial) licensing. The money is being used to fund the website, some studio work, etc. He's asking a rather small amount as more of a buffer than a complete funding.

His work would be released for free to the public as well as some stems of various tracks others can use under Creative Commons licensing. Free to download, share, etc.

He asked what I thought and I told him its a great idea if he's interested in more exposure. What does GAF think? I always like the idea of CC and freedom to share since that creates greater awareness for new artists.

Should he try it? He's between jobs but loves writing music and sharing it as a hobby.

bowery

Toddla T mix for massiv
Moresounds - Analog Steak (Danny Scrilla RMX)
TNGHT - Higher Ground
Ace Hood - Piss Em Off
Kendrick Lamar - Swimming Pools
XV - Wonkavator ft. Emilio Rojas
Darq E Freaker feat. Danny Brown - Blueberry (Pills & Cocaine)
Phat Deuce - Blaze Dem
Walter Ego VS Dreadsquad - Set Off Blend ft Trim
MR Williamz - We Run England (Toddla T Dub)
Konshens - So Mi Tan
Skeptical & Dub Phizix - Marka (Toddla T Dub)
Potential Kid Vs Mr Menz - AH YAH SUH NICE (Toddla T Dub)
Elephant Man - Crocodile ft Ding Dong
I Octane - Love Di Vibes (So Shift RMX)
Vybz Kartel Ft. Tina Nunezz, Opal - Climaxx Riddim (Special ReKwest)
Vibrate - Gent x Jawns
The Party squad - Rising Sun
Disclosure - Latch
Jesse Ware - Night Life (Joe Goddard RMX)
Hot Natured & Ali Love - Benediction

Dj Slow LFTF mix
• Intro
• Cashmere Cat - Paws
• Symphony Hall - Metal Arrives
• Dj Tray - Cartel Strokerrr
• Obey City - Emoji Greeting
• Feadz & Kito - Wettex (Cashmere Cat Remix)
• Dj Tray - Turn On The Lights
• Dj J Heat - NJ Trans Theme
• Logos - Devils (Palace Remix)
• King Louie - Showtime
• Mister Tweeks - Rave Land
• Mykki Blanco - Haze.Boogie.Life
• Obey City - Ocean Depths
• Kanye West - Clique (Groundislava Cool Mix)
• Unknown - Untitled
• Ryan Hemsworth - For The Next 10 Minutes
• Deebs - Fillet (Dubbel Dutch Remix)
• Brandy - What You Need
• Young Smoke - Space Zone
• S-Type ft Luke Slott - Sensi Star
• Cousin Fik featuring Droop E - I Need A …
• TY $ - My Cabana
• 100s - Hemsworth Outro

the cashmere cat remix of feadz and kito in there is unreleased and damn it sounds good

Alucrid

Banned
Hey GAF - need to pick your brain. A friend of mine wants to Kickstart an album - he's a great musician but asked me what I thought about his idea so im opening this question up to a broader audience...

He wants to ask for 1500 USD to create an album released under Creative Commons (non-commercial) licensing. The money is being used to fund the website, some studio work, etc. He's asking a rather small amount as more of a buffer than a complete funding.

His work would be released for free to the public as well as some stems of various tracks others can use under Creative Commons licensing. Free to download, share, etc.

He asked what I thought and I told him its a great idea if he's interested in more exposure. What does GAF think? I always like the idea of CC and freedom to share since that creates greater awareness for new artists.

Should he try it? He's between jobs but loves writing music and sharing it as a hobby.

I wouldn't give him a penny.

Jack_AG

Banned
Who would fund him? What would I get for doing so? Why are you asking in this thread specifically? Seems like another bad kickstarter idea.
The same people who fund books, movies, games, board games, card games, etc - people who are interested.

I didn't ask him about donator bonuses.

He makes electronic music so I asked here instead of my own thread.

What defines a bad kickstarter?

Look man, I'm just asking for opinions on what people thought - your posts have provided zero insight as to what are the potential negatives. I'd appreciate input as to "why" one would like or dislkike it. Simply saying yes/no isn't affording any insight to those thoughts. I'm asking since I'd like to give him a broader answer than my own.

thabiz

The same people who fund books, movies, games, board games, card games, etc - people who are interested.

I didn't ask him about donator bonuses.

He makes electronic music so I asked here instead of my own thread.

What defines a bad kickstarter?

Look man, I'm just asking for opinions on what people thought - your posts have provided zero insight as to what are the potential negatives. I'd appreciate input as to "why" one would like or dislkike it. Simply saying yes/no isn't affording any insight to those thoughts. I'm asking since I'd like to give him a broader answer than my own.

A bad kickstarter would be this one. Alucrid is 100% correct. What sort of return to do I see in my investment? Is this for gear, session costs, etc? or rent money while he works at home? Also you havent given any links to his work. Why would i entertain this kickstarter if I haven't heard one second of his talent. This IS what you are asking to invest in after all.

A far better approach would be to post some examples of his work, let it be judged, then float the kickstarter idea. People would be far more open if they had something to go on.

Edit: Why a kickstarter for free music? Just make the music and release it. I think what your looking for is a bank loan.

Jack_AG

Banned
A bad kickstarter would be this one. Alucrid is 100% correct. What sort of return to do I see in my investment? Is this for gear, session costs, etc? or rent money while he works at home? Also you havent given any links to his work. Why would i entertain this kickstarter if I haven't heard one second of his talent. This IS what you are asking to invest in after all.

A far better approach would be to post some examples of his work, let it be judged, then float the kickstarter idea. People would be far more open if they had something to go on.

Edit: Why a kickstarter for free music? Just make the music and release it. I think what your looking for is a bank loan.

First off - let me preface this by saying my name is not M. Night Shyamalan - so no need to read between any lines here.

Kickstarters do not give returns on the investments, lol. That's not how kickstarts work. You donate to a project and get a reward based on your donation level. That's it. You don't see returns on Kickstart investments.

The funding, as I stated earlier, would be for his website and some studio related costs.

I'm not linking any of his work because he asked me what I would think of him doing a Kickstarter. He's not dead set on it and I'm not giving out his music, myself. He is also sentient and fully aware that he will have to list previous works on the Kickstart page as teasers, examples, etc. I.E. - he hasn't been living under a rock.

I'm not asking GAF if they think HE is good enough - i'm asking what GAF thinks of a CC-released album on Kickstarter. It's just really that simple. No shit. That's all it is.

He's also not in it to make money which is why he only needs partial funding and wants to give it away for free. Also, if you believe Kickstarter is about anything other than "money" - you are sorely mistaken. That's its entire design. People donating to projects to help out. Get over it if you haven't already.

Plenty other projects in the same realm on Kickstarter - I just thought GAF would be a bit friendlier in lending their perspective so I can help him make up his mind.

thabiz

First off - let me preface this by saying my name is not M. Night Shyamalan - so no need to read between any lines here.

Kickstarters do not give returns on the investments, lol. That's not how kickstarts work. You donate to a project and get a reward based on your donation level. That's it. You don't see returns on Kickstart investments.

The funding, as I stated earlier, would be for his website and some studio related costs.

I'm not linking any of his work because he asked me what I would think of him doing a Kickstarter. He's not dead set on it and I'm not giving out his music, myself. He is also sentient and fully aware that he will have to list previous works on the Kickstart page as teasers, examples, etc. I.E. - he hasn't been living under a rock.

I'm not asking GAF if they think HE is good enough - i'm asking what GAF thinks of a CC-released album on Kickstarter. It's just really that simple. No shit. That's all it is.

He's also not in it to make money which is why he only needs partial funding and wants to give it away for free. Also, if you believe Kickstarter is about anything other than "money" - you are sorely mistaken. That's its entire design. People donating to projects to help out. Get over it if you haven't already.

Plenty other projects in the same realm on Kickstarter - I just thought GAF would be a bit friendlier in lending their perspective so I can help him make up his mind.

Then you should have started a thread. This is a music thread. We discuss music. You didnt even tell what type of music he does in the initial post.

The initial post reeked of someone looking for some cash while they are unemployed. Why $1500? That seems awfully low, and could easily be procured from friends and family. I would think the effort just getting the kickstarter going and promoting it, would be worth far more than 1500. That's a month's rent.

I think you are taking "return" and "investment" in the literal sense. What do I get at the end? Some tunes on soundcloud. They will be free after all. As you can clearly see, we got that covered in this thread.

So in response to the initial post. What do I think? Terrible idea. Should he try it? Yeah sure.

Alucrid

Banned
yes, there are quite a lot of useless kickstarters out there. if i pledge money for a game it's because i get the game in return. if i pledge money for an item it's because i'll get that item in return. you're asking people to pledge money for something that'll be free anyways. considering the costs that physical goods take from pledges it seems pointless to offer something like that at a mere 1500.

should he do it? sure, why not. if he doesn't make the cut he loses nothing except time spent doing that. if he does get the money then he can pay for a website and studio time. why he needs to do that? no idea. i mean you have people agentwhiskers putting out free albums all the time.

In non-condescending news, Atlantics Vol 2 is great. I've listened through it a few times at work.

bowery

with that top 5 mixes thing id have to say for this year in terms of coming back to them

1. nicholas jaar essential mix
2. rustie essential mix
3. nick catchdubs for diplo and friends
4. lol boys boiler room
5. perseus id mix
close after floss banned/lftf/diplo+friends mixes

How did I not know of this thread earlier, totally missed it for all those years.
Have a lot to listen to now, but I'll give you some awesome instrumental music too:

SUN:MONX - Parma Panorama
The guitar is kills, very groovy

Austero - Leyendas
Really hits it on every level. One of the two artists in SUN:MONX

Hot Sugar - The Girl Who Stole My Tamagotchi
Brilliant, just brilliant

One of my favourite artists is Nosaj Thing, he've probably been mentioned here a bunch of times, but don't miss out on him.

Nosaj Thing - DJ Set (Live)
A mix of his Drift album.

daviyoung

Banned

As has already been mentioned, yes he should try it. After all, a fool and his money are easily parted. Like Alucrid, I wouldn't give him any money.

It's not like he has a proven record, or that electronic music is in such a dire state that we need to give money to ideas. Tangible music, music that's already been produced, exists in bucketloads and it's all there for us to buy (some if it is free without any kickstarter) already.

Also the "need money for studio and website" reasoning is a misnomer, considering some of the best music can be produced with software alone (which can be procured in various bargainous ways) and a website can be produced using user-friendly free CMSs like Wordpress and a few dollars a month on hosting fees.

I don't know if you have Dragon's Den in your country, but kickstarters make me feel like one of them. I wish him a lot of luck on his endeavours but as an arbiter of common sense and my own wallet I won't be investing, and therefore I'm out.

thabiz

Detroit: The Blueprint of Techno

This rare video from the late 1990s features Terrence Parker, Mike Huckaby, Juan Atkins, Ritchie Hawtin, Derrick May, Kevin Saunderson, Carl Craig, Rolando, Jeff Woodward, Gary Koral, Josh Glazer, Jon Ozias, Theorem, DJ Dunebugg, (with special cameo appearances by Mike Grant, Brian Bonds, Don Waxmaster D Smooth, Hugh C, and Todd Weston).

Cool 30min video about the early techno scene in Detroit. Worth a watch.

Shaneus

Nice. Will check it out, thabiz... always love those docos. Make sure you watch the one on Larry Levan, Paradise Garage et al... can't remember what it was called, but it was fucking awesome. Felt blessed to see one of the Garage alumni, Francois K, only just this year.

thabiz

Today's Funk.

Milton Jackson - Compendium of Sound 003
1) Unbroken Dub - Dub Layer
2) Kris Wadsworth - Fan Mail [Hype LTD]
3) Vedagor - Untitled III [Burek]
4) The Rhythm Odyssey feat. Main Stem - Dopple Gang [Midnight Love Club]
5) Fantastic Man - Late At Night
6) The Digital Kid v The World - Total Control (Chicago Damn Remix) [Classic Music Company]
7) George Fitzgerald - Every Inch (Deetron Remix) [Hypercolour]
8) Phil Weeks - Acid Pattern [Robsoul]
9) Alan Braxe & Fred Falke - Most Wanted [Roulé]
10) Kirill Tipo - Let Me In [Beats Delivery]
11) Fred Everything - Circles One [Drumpoet Community]
12) Big Black Delta - Format War [Martyn Remix]
13) Dettmann - Viscous
14) Seuil - MPC 3
15) Lindstrom - Ra ako st [Todd Terje Edit]

Aem - Depth Charge (Highly Recommended! Dont sleep on this one.)
Imminent Starvation - Isk
Amon Tobin - Hokkaido (Lorn Remix)
Motor City Drum Ensemble - Monorail
Alex Cortex - Oh Yeah
Kangding Ray - Athem
Edit Select - Surface To Air (Lucy Remix)
Fluxion - Motion 3
Phase - Sender
Fusiphorm - Thanx For The Add
Basic Soul Unit - Dank
Myk Derill - Growth Target
Gary Beck - Egoist
Sleeparchive - Acd Voice
Norman Nodge - Nn 8.0
Traversable Wormhole - Where 2d Meets 3d
Skudge - Convolution (Marcel Fengler Remix)
Marcel Dettmann - Translation Two
Secluded - Hidden (Mike Dehnert Remix)
Martyn - We Are You In The Future (Redshape Remix)
Secluded - Provoke (Shifted Remix)
Mark Broom - Advanced Human Dub
Skat - Intolerance
Marcel Fengler - Twisted Bleach (Original Mix)
Abdulla Rashim - Gizaw 2
Truncate - Bodega V2 Original Mix
Instra:Mental - No Future (Original Mix)
Manzel - Untitled B2
Lodbrok - Oil
Jeff Mills - Java
Perc - Stoq
Jakob Altmann - Hr022
Ben Klock - Before One
Levon Vincent - Woman Is The Devil
Raffaele Attanasio - Black Bloc (Manzel Version)
Terence Fixmer - Drastik (Tool 2)
Mrsk - Twirl

thabiz

lush

LFTF is pretty good with their mixes. Cool site.

Kuhrye-oo - Give In (For the Fame) [Dj Sliink Remix]

I have this this weekend:

Moogfest.lineup.jpg

So excited....

okno

It's funny seeing Explosions In the Sky right under Richie and Squarepusher. Been dying to go to Moogfest, but I can't justify the cost of traveling to Asheville. Beautiful area, though! Perfect spot for an outdoor festival.

lush

Mixmag MOTW: Happa

James Blake - Four Miles (Unreleased)
Dusky – Calling Me (Forthcoming School Records)
George Fitzgerald – Needs You (Forthcoming Hypercolour)
Bobby Champs - NYC Panther (Forthcoming Hypercolour)
Viers – Synthetik (Unreleased)
Four Tet - Jupiters (Happa Remix) (Forthcoming TEXT)
Ill Life - Ever Decreasing Circles (Forthcoming Infinite Machine)
Metrist – Sud (Unreleased)
Paul Birkin - Acid Youth of Malibu (Forthcoming Ear Wiggle)
MPIA3 – Acid badger (Forthcoming R&S)
Vondelpark – Dracula (Happa Remix) (Forthcoming R&S)
Reeko – The Woman Of Black Glove (Planet Rhythm)
Viers – Loe (Unreleased)
MPIA3 – Mountains Of Ash (Forthcoming R&S)
Bobby Champs – Untitled (Unreleased)
Delta Funktionen - Redemption (Delsin Records)
Metaphi & Spam Chop – Untitled (Unreleased)
Ctrls - Evident Mechanics (Forthcoming Token Records)
AnD – In Just A Small Moment (Frozen Border)
Myztical - Koni (Kevin McPhee Remix) (Forthcoming NICZ)
Happa – Beat Of The Drum (Forthcoming Church Records)
Darling Farah – Fortune Part II (Civil Music)
James Blake - Fear to Fear (Unreleased)

thabiz

Surgeon - This is the Place Where the Intellect Gets Annihilated
Chicago Skyway - Heavens & Angels (Extended Version) - MOSDEEP001
Jake Conlon - Pull Your Neck In - PRTP003
BMB - In Another Country - LTECH002
The 65d Mavericks - Estrangement of the Past (Surgeon mix) - Surface
MPIA3 - Mountains Of Ash - R&S
Milton Bradley - Alien Rain 2B - Alien Rain
Sei A - Hypen - HEK020i
Peverelist & Kowton - Raw Code - Livity Sound
MPIA3 - Roly Poly Babs - R&S
Randomer - Freak Dub - HEK018
WK7 - Higher Power (Hardcore PCK Mix) - PH303
Reeko - Electrical Phenomena - Pole Group
BMB - Dead Sun - LTECH002
Fishermen - Anchor Buoy - Skudge
WK7 - The Avalanche (Original Mix) - PH202
Braiden - Belfry Tower - RH044
Stephen Brown - Fuego - Theory041
Error Ética - Quasar (NX1 Remix) - Psychoskunk
Shadows - Distorted Images (Mike Parker Remix) - AVN006
Karenn - Sailing Solvents - SHEWORKS 004
Truss - Splot - OCS006
Alex Coulton - Bounce - Livity Sound
Paul Mac - Resident Problem
Untold - Breathe (Nautiluss remix) - Hemlock
Tripeo - First Trip (B) - TRIP1
Truss - Beacon (MPIA3 Definition) - OCS006
Paul Mac - Hotel Insomnia - EPM Music
Innerspace Halflife - Wind - MOSDEEP12
TR \ ER - UC - BROS001
Untold - Stop what you're doing (Kowton remix) - Hemlock
Cut Hands - Krokodilo - VFSL102

okno

I need y'all's help for this weekend! I'm DJing a Halloween party on Sunday, and want to play some really funky, freaky, spooky songs. I can't go full on techno, unfortunately, so I need to keep it in the house/deep house/tech-house/minimal branch. Already plan on playing a bunch of old M_nus tracks, because they have a ton of bounce while maintaining a weird level of dread and unease. Any help would be appreciated. Stuff like:

October - My Left Tool (Tobias. Remix)
Click Box vs Run Stop Restore - Helen In the Keller and Magic Juice
Sadm Svek Pearl
Aerea Negrot - Hair (Tobias. Remix) (sorry, beatport link, can't find an upload of the track, might upload later if there's interest)

Thaaaaaanks!

thabiz

I need y'all's help for this weekend! I'm DJing a Halloween party on Sunday, and want to play some really funky, freaky, spooky songs. I can't go full on techno, unfortunately, so I need to keep it in the house/deep house/tech-house/minimal branch. Already plan on playing a bunch of old M_nus tracks, because they have a ton of bounce while maintaining a weird level of dread and unease. Any help would be appreciated. Stuff like:

October - My Left Tool (Tobias. Remix)
Click Box vs Run Stop Restore - Helen In the Keller and Magic Juice
Sadm Svek Pearl
Aerea Negrot - Hair (Tobias. Remix) (sorry, beatport link, can't find an upload of the track, might upload later if there's interest)

Thaaaaaanks!

Cevin Fisher - The Freaks Come Out.

http://www.beatport.com/chart/halloween-secret-weapons-tech-house/120434
http://www.beatport.com/chart/damian-lazarus-devil-night-10/19438

Beatport is already got it covered for you. God I love that site.

thabiz

Nice! That Luna City Express track is perfect! I'm trying to remember a song by Stimming that's really similar, but I can't find it for the life of me... I should dig out some Ivan Smagghe, now that I think about it.

Search the charts on Beatport. It looks like there is some similar lists.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Brainbug - Nightmare - it's an old progressive house song from '97 or '98 I think, remember it getting a ton of radio play around NY. Also, some Faithless (especially Insomnia and Salva Mea) may be good.

Cevin Fisher... woooow, haven't heard that name in a long while!

lush

XXXY mix for RadioFollow.Me

1 Barker and Baumecker - SchangBang
2 Duke Dumont - Giver (locked groove remix)
3 Jimmy Edgar - Hot Raw Sex
4 Dorian Concept - Trilingual Dance Sexperience (HNNY edit)
5 George Fitzgerald - Needs you
6 Trikk - Basement trax
7 Cottam - Relapse (cosmin TRG remix)
8 Darling Farah - Body (Jimmy Edgar Remix)
9 Jack Dixon - E
10 George Fitzerald - Every inch (Deetron Remix)
11 Chesus - Feelings
12 Lovebirds feat. Stee Downes - Give Me a Dubf*ck
13 xxxy - Everything
14 Addison Groove - I go boom (doc daneeka remix)
15 Eltron John - Bomby
16 DJ Funk - Knock Knock
17 xxxy - got me so

Damu – FABRICLIVE Promo Mix

Damu - Nothing To Hide
South London Ordnance - Pattern
Damu - Transom Bounce
South London Ordnance - Slow Dance
Thefft - Jungle Out There
Bobby Champs & A1 Bassline - Phobia
Damu - Holed Up In The Hovel
Bobby Champs - Steve Martin
Thefft - Right Here
Paleman - Chapel
Compa - Against The Clock
Paleman - Halfout VIP
Boxwork - Pressureface
Ziro - Alphas
Artifact - Burst
Happa - Boss
Macker - CCCP
Brunks - Untold
Rommek - Jack To The Sound Of The Underground

Maxxi Soundsystem - Stella's Way (Huxley Remix)

okno

Thanks guys! Wish I could drop that Horrorist song, but don't know if it'll go over too well, haha. It's times like this I wish I could do a full techno set, because I've got the perfect material for a moody set, but since it's a day party I have to keep it kind of light (but not too light).

On the note of favorite mixes: This Juniper mix has quickly jumped up to my top faves pile. Really, really heady, really trippy house/acid mix. Just really, really phenomenal. Stays at a rock solid 120bpm, but the energy is so intense... It had my heart racing at times on my commute this morning. Highly, highly, highly recommended.

Top Bottom