• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

gdt

Apparently XXXY is broke as fuck? Thats what I'm getting from his article on XLR8R

xxxy (a.k.a. Rupert Taylor) is known for his flexible, forward-facing brand of rich, techy garage. His ability to shift between styles has endeared him to a number of labels, including Ten Thousand Yen, which recently issued his "Progression" b/w "Thinkin Bout" single. Like many of his contemporaries, Taylor honed his chops at the Red Bull Music Academy, which is where his tale of woe begins. The zest and energy he puts into his productions remains his strong point, but if this story comes with any kind of moral, it's that going too hard in the real world can have its repercussions.

Shortly after I was at the Red Bull Music Academy, in Madrid—the day after it finished—I had a show in a place called Neuchâtel in Switzerland. The whole Red Bull Music Academy was like two weeks of barely sleeping at all, and on top of that, I had a show in the middle of it. So I flew back from Madrid to Manchester and did a show, and then back to the Academy, and then did another full-on week, so I had no time off in the middle—I think other people had one day off. So I had this show in Neuchâtel and I think it was on a Saturday, and it was a festival called Case à chocs. I had to fly back to Heathrow, and I had this massive suitcase with all my shit in it from the last two weeks, and I was like, "Oh, maybe I should leave my massive suitcase in left luggage and take a small bag to Switzerland." I decided not to and checked my bag, and got my flight to Switzerland. I remember, when I got there—it was like a two-hour drive from Geneva airport to the place where I had the show. And then we got stuck in traffic and it ended up being like three-and-a-half or four hours—maybe more than that—and I was nodding off the whole time. I finally got to the hotel, and then went to the venue and soundchecked and it was fine. I had some dinner, and they were like, "We'll pick you up in an hour and a half," and I was like alright. I went to sleep for an hour and a half, and went and played the show. The show was great—I was sober, but everyone there was really drunk, falling over, banging into the decks and stuff. Being tired is just freaking me out, and they knocked the decks—the decks were on wheels and just got knocked at an angle, and the lights were pointing in my eyes in a different way and for some reason that really freaked me out. But that was fine, it was all fine. And I managed to leave the show fairly quickly and went to bed again.

I normally set like five or ten alarms, at least, to wake me up in the morning if I've got a flight. They gave me a train ticket to get back to Geneva airport. I woke up at like midday, maybe like an hour and a half after my train had left, and I was like, "Oh fuck." So I ran to the train station, bought a new train ticket, and got on the next train to Geneva airport. I think there's some kind of shopping center attached to Geneva airport, and there was a model-train exhibition going on in this shopping center, in the middle, so there was less room for people to walk through. I was running through with my massive bag, and there were all these train nerds in the way. I got to the British Airways desk to check in, and I asked, "Can I check in for the London flight?" And she was like, "Mmm... do you have a bag to check in?" I said, "Yeah." And she was like, "No, you can't." So, trying to work out what to do, I got my phone out and started looking at Kayak.com to get a new flight to get home, and I found one on Easyjet. I booked it, and I breathed a sigh of relief, like, "Okay, that didn't cost too much. I'm going to get home."

And then I had some food, and I came back to try and look for my flight, and it wasn't on the board. I was like, "Right, [what the] fuck is going on?" I went to the Easyjet desk, and they said, "Oh, you've booked a flight for tomorrow." I was like, "Oh, for fuck's sake." Switzerland's just a seriously expensive country, so I was like, "Do I stay in a hotel for another night and fly tomorrow and spend the money, or just book the next flight?" I just [wanted] to go home, stat. I'm nearly in tears at this Easyjet desk, having not slept for two-and-a-half weeks, and I was like, "What can I do!?" I just had to empty my bank account to pay for a flight back. I ended up spending like 500 pounds on Easyjet flights just to get home. It was just the most depressing journey of my life. And I think there was some group of teenagers coming back from a skiing holiday and they were all sat around me, and I was like... (sighs wearily) "Yeah." If I had left my bag in Heathrow airport, I would have got home with my bank account in a reasonable condition. But I had to ring my flatmate and get him to transfer some money to my account, just so I could get back from the airport. Probably not the best fun I've ever had getting home from a gig, but it certainly taught me not to miss my flights or my connections. It was just a domino effect.

So how much does a touring/working DJ like XXXY make? He doesn't own a label like Scuba (which has to be making good money these days) for example, but he puts out music on a pretty consistent basis plus these endless shows.

miksushag

Apparently XXXY is broke as fuck? Thats what I'm getting from his article on XLR8R

So how much does a touring/working DJ like XXXY make? He doesn't own a label like Scuba (which has to be making good money these days) for example, but he puts out music on a pretty consistent basis plus these endless shows.

I wouldn't say that he is that broke - I've heard that Scuba takes about 2000€ for a Scuba live show and a few hundred less for a dj set - so correlated to XXXY, I guess he could get like at least 400€ per gig.

lush

Mixmag Mix of the Week: French Fries & Bambounou
Shed - Waved Mind [Ostgut Ton]
Basic Soul Unit - Untoward [Non Plus]
Nina Kraviz - Working (Marcellus Pittman Remix) [Rekids]
Omar-S - Blown Valvetrane [Sound Signature]
French Fries - Drums [CCBWL]
Strip Steve - Money Trouble Funk (Bambounou remix) [Boys Noize]
N&N Tracks - Track 03 [Boom Chik]
Bambounou - Brim [50 Weapons]
Bambounou - Take It Out On Me [CDR]
D'Marc Cantu - Try Me [MOS Holland]
Disco Nihilist - Relentless Drums [Construction Paper]
DJ Funk - Kaos [Dance Mania]
French Fries - Southside [ClekClekBoom]
Truncate - Focus [Truncate]
Surkin - Lakeside (French Fries Remix) [CDR]

Cyril Hahn: French Kiss Mix // Love the selection
Cassie - Numb ft Rick Ross
Shy Girls - Under Attack (The-Drum Remix)
Closed Paradise - The Daulphin
Roosevelt - Around You
Les Sins - Grind
Jakwob - Fade (Le Youth Remix)
How to Dress Well - & It Was U (Elite Gymnastics Remix)

Detroit Swindle - The Passion EP
Miguel - Adorn (TOKiMONSTA Remix)
No Artificial Colours - Crying Wolf EP (MadTech)
Little Boots - Broken Record (Ossie Remix)
Grizzly Bear - Sleeping Ute (Nicolas Jaar Remix)
Amerie - Why Dont We Fall In Love (Kaytranada Edition)

Danny Brown - Dope Song (Prod. by Rustie) (Live)

Shaneus

I had no idea they were coming! Wish I could, but I have to be up at 5am on Saturday :/ A lot of parties this weekend. Bruno Pronsato and Aril Brikha on Saturday, Prosumer Saturday as well.
Aril Brikha should be amazing for you :)

PS. You ignored one of my posts again :(

gdt

Ohhhh more Detroit Swindle? F yeah.

Edit: Holy shit @ that No Artificial Colors preview! I gotta track their stuff down. Fuuck.

jambo

Andrew Bayer's second album is finally out!!!

mKSk9Ik.jpg

01. Opening Act
02. Doomsday
03. It's Going To Be Fine
04. Let's Hear That B Section Again!
05. Lose Sight (feat. Ane Brun)
06. You Are (feat. Deb Talan)
07. All This Will Happen Again
08. Echo (feat. Alison May)
09. A Brief Interlude
10. Gaff's Eulogy
11. Need Your Love
12. Farnsworth court
13. Make No Sound (feat. Alison May)
14. Counting Down
15. Soul Cry
16. Closing Act

Some fantastic stuff on here, Gaff's Eulogy is still my favourite. Loved it the moment I heard it on his TATW guestmix.

Twix

lush

miksushag, will think on a list for you and supply it tonight/tomorrow for you. I see you.

This one is killing right now on future classic:

Touch Sensitive - Pizza Guy / Show Me

Also, completely missed Tiger & Woods' Banana Balls EP:

"Pitch"

Divius

Check out the trippy video for Mount Kimbie - Made to Stray: http://youtu.be/YdYj-jCcMFg

Really digging this track btw and I am very excited for the new album!

~~

Has anyone here listened to the new Baths album: Obsidian yet? It isn't supposed to come out for another month, but it already leaked a few days ago.

okno

Tiger & Woods just posted a brand spanking new mix by them: Golden Bear. It's, as expected, excellent.

Miksushag: I'll send you my list shortly.

Shaneus: I did not ignore you. I just busy. Will check out song today.

Shaneus

Tiger & Woods just posted a brand spanking new mix by them: Golden Bear. It's, as expected, excellent.

Miksushag: I'll send you my list shortly.

Shaneus: I did not ignore you. I just busy. Will check out song today.
No worries. Just wasn't sure, you posted afterwards but didn't reply, my feelings were hurt :(
;)

BTW New T&W mix? Straight into my veins. Delicious.

Pacbois

(Woohoo first post here)

I'm an electronic-heavy period right now. Catching up with a lot of artists I've just heard before. I have John Talabot's "fin" on repeat with the sun coming back after a rough winter and I'm also really into Jacques Greene & Julio Bashmore.
I really dig Disclosure, it's a really fun guilty pleasure. I'm also quite hyped for the new Mount Kimbie, Crooks & Lovers was a superb album and Made To Stray is by far one of my favs of the year. And then there is a new Moderat coming...
And then I'm pretty sure Random Access Memories might hold a few classics.

I'm just bummed that clubbing is so fucking expensive in Paris...

okno

(Woohoo first post here)

I'm an electronic-heavy period right now. Catching up with a lot of artists I've just heard before. I have John Talabot's "fin" on repeat with the sun coming back after a rough winter and I'm also really into Jacques Greene & Julio Bashmore.
I really dig Disclosure, it's a really fun guilty pleasure. I'm also quite hyped for the new Mount Kimbie, Crooks & Lovers was a superb album and Made To Stray is by far one of my favs of the year. And then there is a new Moderat coming...

I was in Paris last September and I was *stunned* at how hard it was to go out for a proper club night! Either the party was outrageously expensive, out in the middle of nooooowhere, or it ended mega early. Didn't end up going anywhere, sadly...

Shaneus, you know I'll always love you <3 I was actually in line at the post office when I replied to djtiesto, hence why I didn't respond to you at the time :p

edit: and welcome aboard, Pacbois. It's always good to have fresh blood in here. I think you'll fit right in.

Shaneus

(Woohoo first post here)

I like your avatar. Let's be friends.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to Kaskade's private NYC show tonight at Cielo. The whole point of his "Redux" tour is that he only sells like 200-300 tickets to each of these shows, and he plays purely deep house. I am really looking forward to it.

Pacbois

Thanks for the welcome guys !

I was in Paris last September and I was *stunned* at how hard it was to go out for a proper club night! Either the party was outrageously expensive, out in the middle of nooooowhere, or it ended mega early. Didn't end up going anywhere, sadly...

Shaneus, you know I'll always love you <3 I was actually in line at the post office when I replied to djtiesto, hence why I didn't respond to you at the time :p

edit: and welcome aboard, Pacbois. It's always good to have fresh blood in here. I think you'll fit right in.

Yeah, parties are usually around 15€ in advance, 20€ at the door. And let's not talk about drinks... And it's not just clubs... There is a new festival in may. The friday line-up is pretty nice with Maceo Plex, Jacques Greene and Bot'Ox, but the day ticket is around 50€... I lived in Lille and used to do a lot of clubbing there. The club scene there is way cheaper and relaxed with still a fair lot of good DJ's.

I like your avatar. Let's be friends.

Get Ready is such a great album <3 I quite like yours. And I see you a lot in the Idle Thumbs thread, so you're good in my book :D

Oh and a Darkstar Boiler Room set just popped up on Soundcloud !

Shaneus

Oh my god OH MY GOD. Jacques Lu Cont's album is up for streaming! Right here.
Working on downloading them now for listening in the morning. Crappy quality, but still good to listen to.

Should make the wait for RAM a little easier!

okno

Miksushag, here ya go. I know you asked for tracks from 2013 specifically, but I just discovered a couple of these and I think they'll be quite helpful to you. They range from house, deep house, techno, disco, african jams.

KMA Productions - Cape Fear (Vlad Caia & Cristi Cons Edit)
Headless Ghost - Frontend EP 'Basik Fire' is INSANE. 'Yeahhh' is my second favorite and I don't really care for 'SP3'
Neil Landstrumm - Montesa EP 'Guzacid' is so fun, but I think you'll dig the whole thing.
Fred Everything - Brothers & Sisters (PM Atlantic)
Jonas Kopp - Desire EP
Owiny Sigoma Band - Norbat Okelo
Roundhouse Kick - ARM1X All excellent tracks, the Auntie Flo remixes are great.
Kalambya Boys - Kivelenge (The Busy Twist Remix) This is the only track I can find a clip from from this EP, but it is fucking BRILLIANT. Amazing african disco, just plain fun ass music.
Endian - Straight Intention
Forest People - Chayot Ha Kodesh
Finesse - Believe (C.L.A.W.S. Day Mix)
Martyn - Newspeak
San Proper - Groundfloor (UpfrondaWall&on...) I cannot believe this track hasn't gotten more attention. Just good ass funky tech.
Craig Smith & The Revenge - The Soul (Part II)
Mock & Toof - Walking the Streets (DMX Krew Remix)
Azari & III - Manhooker (Locked Groove's Escape to NYC Remix)

Hope that helps!

EDIT!!! This won't be out in time for you (releases digitally 5/11), but everyone needs to keep this on their radar as it is amazing: John Hughes Daydream - Thriller

miksushag

Miksushag, here ya go. I know you asked for tracks from 2013 specifically, but I just discovered a couple of these and I think they'll be quite helpful to you. They range from house, deep house, techno, disco, african jams.

Jesus christ, more than I hoped for hahah. Gonna check all these this weekend, know only the Auntie Flo, Endian and Martyn tunes.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Headless Ghost - Frontend EP 'Basik Fire' is INSANE. 'Yeahhh' is my second favorite and I don't really care for 'SP3'

Holy shit this EP is straight fire.

Man this weekend is gonna be crazy. I'm going to Kaskade's Redux show tonight, tomorrow some friends are renting out a loft in Union Square and one of my Greek buddies is going to DJ for 150+ people, and then Saturday night I'm going to this event in Brooklyn, which seems pretty cool. Wish I was going to see Tiger & Woods tomorrow though. So many parties, not enough time!

Top Bottom