• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Shaneus

(reposted from last page, hope this is okay)

So I got this in my email this morning:
4Bd604pl.png

They're making those up, right? Late April Fool's?

On (thankfully) a completely different note, I didn't see these posted here but everyone should watch them for a bit of education... Daft Punk, "The Collaborators":

1: Giorgio Moroder
2: Todd Edwards
3: Nile Rogers (of Chic)
4: Pharrell Williams

Pharrell's video just came out today, but I've watched the first three and they're all *really* fascinating, providing a great insight into their contribution on the album and their work in the past.

I also had a hunch for a while that they weren't going to use samples on the album at all, and I was pretty much right (according to Wikipedia):
Daft Punk avoided the use of sampling on the album with the exception of the final track, "Contact". Use of electronics was limited to drum machines that appear on only two tracks, a large modular synthesizer performed live by the duo, and vintage vocoders.

And the tracklisting (lemme know if it should be spoilered... I don't think so, but others may want to be surprised):

1) "Give Life Back to Music"
2) "The Game of Love"
3) "Giorgio by Moroder"
4) "Within"
5) "Instant Crush"
6) "Lose Yourself to Dance"
7) "Touch"
8) "Get Lucky"
9) "Beyond"
10) "Motherboard"
11) "Fragments of Time"
12) "Doin' It Right"
13) "Contact"

Anyone wanna .gif that Vine clip for me?

gdt

Mmmmmm new Bicep. Visions of Love is SO FUCKING GOOD I still play it regularly. If I had to change my AOTY list it would probably land at #2 (instead of #4) nowadays. This EP (from my quick jumpy listen) sounds a lot of moody/meloncholy....the oppsosite of VOL, which was straight up singalong hands in the air catchy stuff. Still I'm there, I trust these guys implicitly.

gdt

Scuba just retweeted someone and the tweet is basically just

Hardbody (SCB Edit)

(I added the video btw....the tweet was just the name of the song)

Sooooo....maybe a SCB single/EP coming soon? He hasn't done that in awhile. Last we got was an SCB remix of NE1BUTU (and 2 remixes aside from that I think).

If he follows his pattern, we'll get an EP this year and an LP next year. Honestly he could've saved Talk Torque and Hardbody for this hypothetical EP :(. Would've been as monstrous as the Adrenalin EP.

Servbot24

Banned
DKC2 soundtrack is incredible. And not only does it sound relevant today, in some regards it's still ahead of the times even by non-game music standards.

gdt

I was semi right.

Scuba to Drop New Remixes

Ahead of his live appearance on April 27 at the Forum in London, Hotflush label boss Paul Rose (a.k.a. Scuba) will release two new remixes. The first track is another of the DJ/producer's "Dub of Doom" reworks, this time for Jimmy Edgar's Hotflush-released "Sex Drive" single, while the second is an edit of Scuba's own "Hardbody" tune under his SCB alias (preview in the player below). The release will be dropping exclusively through Beatport on April 22.

http://www.xlr8r.com/news/2013/04/scuba-drop-new-remixes

I don't even know what Dub of Doom means. I mean sure his version of Beam Me Up sounds a little darker...

gdt

Haha I love this quote from a short XLR8R interview with Disclosure that just went up

I think it's safe to say that the speed with which your music has taken off was unexpected, or has at least exceeded the initial goals you had for making music. Now that the Disclosure project has gotten to the place it is currently, are you still setting goals for yourself? Or are you simply rolling with it and waiting to see what else happens?

G: We keep being told that we do this house/garage rejuvenation or revival—which I don't necessarily agree with, because house has always been sick. I don't think it ever went away. But in terms of it being in the charts, in the UK especially, it's becoming more popular. It's amazing to see our songs charting so highly, especially in a chart that is full of shit. I think we'd just like to keep doing that, really.

H: We don't make music specifically to chart, it's just a welcome byproduct.

G: When a credible artist like Todd Edwards or someone comes up to you and says, "I love your songs," and then it also charts, what else can you ask for?

Fjordson

Mmmmmm new Bicep. Visions of Love is SO FUCKING GOOD I still play it regularly. If I had to change my AOTY list it would probably land at #2 (instead of #4) nowadays. This EP (from my quick jumpy listen) sounds a lot of moody/meloncholy....the oppsosite of VOL, which was straight up singalong hands in the air catchy stuff. Still I'm there, I trust these guys implicitly.
I just listened to the new EP. It's amazing. The Wire influence seems so random on paper, but it works when listening to the actual thing. I love it.

gdt

Mentioning Todd Edwards. Would they have done that if he wasn't known as one of the artists on Daft Punk's new album? ;)

Probably not haha.

I just listened to the new EP. It's amazing. The Wire influence seems so random on paper, but it works when listening to the actual thing. I love it.

Yeah soon as I'm done with what I'm rotating now I'm digging right into that. Can't fucking wait. Great to hear you dig their more moody sound.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Mentioning Todd Edwards. Would they have done that if he wasn't known as one of the artists on Daft Punk's new album? ;)

If you're making garage-influenced music, there's a very very good chance you know who Todd Edwards is...

gdt

XXXY - Progression/Thinkin Bout You
Citizen - So Submissive.....

SO GOOD.

lol so no reactions to that Tiesto license plate? I was cracking up when I saw that. Its crazy, to me, to be that big a fan of freaking Tiesto to get his name on your license plate.

DJ88

Thought I'd post this here cause I'd really love some feedback. Just finished mixing a demo that for the first time I feel very satisfied with everything from mixing to track selection. It represents a style I've kind of been fine tuning for a while of Techno/House and lots of inspiration from seeing DJ's like Carl Cox perform over the years. Still gotta type up the tracklist, but here's the mix.

I'd love to hear what you guys think.

https://soundcloud.com/user4205283/techno-house-mix

miksushag

XXXY - Progression/Thinkin Bout You
Citizen - So Submissive.....

SO GOOD.

lol so no reactions to that Tiesto license plate? I was cracking up when I saw that. Its crazy, to me, to be that big a fan of freaking Tiesto to get his name on your license plate.

You sure that wasnt actually Tiestos car? lol

Alucrid

Banned
Don't you love when you want to hear a song from a mix but you forget most of it, so you end up searching through this thread's past thousands of posts to find it?

ChryZ

Slackk's April Mix

https://soundcloud.com/slackk/april-mix

Slackk- Seance
Goon Club Allstars- Goonplate
Sirpixalot- Raiden Riddim
Sublo- Silk Roads
Major Grave- Looking Forward
Inkke- Choong (Demo)
Murlo- Untitled
Top Dolla- Shanghai
Llesca- 7 A.D. (Rabit Remix)
Logos- Menace
Rabit & Strict Face- Much Beef
Slackk- Inland
MssngNo- D&C
Breen- ...For Life
Sublo- Cold Sweat
Dellity- Closed Casket
??- Azrael
Trends- Catchphrase
Footsie- Very Alarming
Eastwood- You Ain't Ready (Spooky's Remix)
Trends- Satan's Son
Murlo- Irises
Inkke- Tampa Riddim
Annoy- No Fate
Neon Beats- Dutty Bass
Visionist- Calm Yr Hype
Moleskin- That Episode Of Star Trek Where Everyone Goes Missing
Crackatoa- Strange Encounters
Freeza Chin- Explosive
Sublo- Square Off

miksushag

Disclosure - You & Me ft. Eliza Doolittle
https://soundcloud.com/disclosuremusic/you-me-soundcloud-edit

L-Vis 1990 in the mix for B.TRAITS - BBC Radio1 & 1Xtra
https://soundcloud.com/nightslugs/l-vis-1990-in-the-mix-for-b

1. L-Vis 1990 - Ballads (Synthtro) (Night Slugs)
2. L-Vis 1990 - Signal (Night Slugs)
3. Krueger - Can You (Dub) (White)
4. George Kranz - Din Da Dah (Dub)
5. KW Griff ft Pork Chop - Bring in the Katz (Sinjin Hawk Edit) (White)
6. L-Vis 1990 - Ballad 4D (VIP) (Forthcoming Night Slugs White Label)
7. Untold - Stereo Freeze (R&S)
8. Kingdom - OG Master (Forthcoming Fade to Mind)
9. Jam City - Untitled (Forthcoming NSCC)
10. Unknown Artist - Untitled (Forthcoming Night Slugs ∞ Fade to Mind)
11. Unknown Artist - Trick (Expect No Less)
12. Bok Bok - Dark Hearts Dub (Night Slugs White Label)
13. Rebound X - Rhythm & Gash (Land of X)
14. Chris Rock - We Live in Club (Acapella)

Top Bottom