• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

okno

Oh my god. OH MY GOD*. You haven't heard this one yet, have you? I haven't had a good chance to listen to those other ones you posted (except the original) but I can't see how they'd be any better. It doesn't even sound like it's a remix... when the production of a track matches a vocal that damn well, you know it's been done right.

Have to say this doesn't *quite* do it for me, but it's a fun little remix.

Do yourself a favorite and get this, Shaneus: Kenya Special Remix EP.

Did you ever mention this track, Shan? Can U (LNTG Muscle Mix) So good. Those horns hit you right in the heart. He also dropped this new one a few days ago: Love 'N' Pain (Late Nite Tuff Guy Rework. Pretty, pretty fire. And how about this soul mix he dropped?! Good lord.

I think I'm falling back in love with disco.

Miksushag: hope you enjoy :3 I know I went a little nuts, but eh. So much good music floating around now, just have to share it.

Shaneus

Have to say this doesn't *quite* do it for me, but it's a fun little remix.

Do yourself a favorite and get this, Shaneus: Kenya Special Remix EP.

Did you ever mention this track, Shan? Can U (LNTG Muscle Mix) So good. Those horns hit you right in the heart. He also dropped this new one a few days ago: Love 'N' Pain (Late Nite Tuff Guy Rework. Pretty, pretty fire. And how about this soul mix he dropped?! Good lord.

I think I'm falling back in love with disco.

Miksushag: hope you enjoy :3 I know I went a little nuts, but eh. So much good music floating around now, just have to share it.
Hadn't heard that LNTG stuff! It's been a while since I've gone through his SC and for some reason, he doesn't mention on Facebook when he posts new stuff :/ Bang on about those horns though, sweet as hell. (edit: didn't realise the original of that was a Francois K production. Ugh, love that guy) I have a feeling that when the disco resurgence comes with the release of Daft Punk's new album, LNTG is going to be one of the big benefactors of it.

I hope so, at least.

BTW Fair enough on that remix... I suppose it probably helps that when I first heard it, there weren't any other remixes at all so all I heard was that, and just how different it was to the original (and how they managed to make the vocal sound like it was specifically for their version and not some song from the 80s).

PS. Guys, wanna know what I was listening to back in the day? I just stumbled across this track I used to (and honestly, kinda still do) love in a random, lost folder on my NAS. And you know, I don't think I'd have a problem with "trance" nowadays if it at least sounded different from everything else in the genre like this does. There's a vocal version as well, but IMO it cheeses it up too much.

Go on, laugh :(

okno

BTW Fair enough on that remix... I suppose it probably helps that when I first heard it, there weren't any other remixes at all so all I heard was that, and just how different it was to the original (and how they managed to make the vocal sound like it was specifically for their version and not some song from the 80s).

True, absolutely true. I do like it, especially the way the vocals were treated, as it isn't just a bog standard treatment, but it's just a case of "I'd rather play the original."

Speaking of treatments, I finally got around to watching Disclosure perform "You Used to Hold Me" and fucking loved it. One of my absolute favorite classic house tracks treated with nothing but respect, just a proper remake of a fantastic song. It's like how you were saying with the Bush 2 Bush remix, the vocals just fit it so well.

miksushag

PS. Guys, wanna know what I was listening to back in the day? I just stumbled across this track I used to (and honestly, kinda still do) love in a random, lost folder on my NAS. And you know, I don't think I'd have a problem with "trance" nowadays if it at least sounded different from everything else in the genre like this does. There's a vocal version as well, but IMO it cheeses it up too much.

Go on, laugh :(

Andy Moor & Adam White owned as 'The Whiteroom' - their song 'White Room' is one of my alltime favourites, you shouldnt be ashamed to be honest. Even if you don't like trance in general, you have to appreciate this for purely on production quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEcwj1yNuiM

edit: Agree with what you said on newer trance, around 2005 the artists started copying each other and doing what the current trend was. At least back in the days you could tell an artist from another by their unique styles.

Dreaver

Kastle just released his new album, it's up on Spotify. I've only heard a few songs from the guy (which I really like), I'm going to give it a listen tomorrow.

Pacbois

Speaking of treatments, I finally got around to watching Disclosure perform "You Used to Hold Me" and fucking loved it. One of my absolute favorite classic house tracks treated with nothing but respect, just a proper remake of a fantastic song. It's like how you were saying with the Bush 2 Bush remix, the vocals just fit it so well.

I might see them in June if lucky, can't wait to see them live. They seem really into their live set and thats kinda rare I guess for house ? They also need to do more remixes, the Artful Dodger one is an amazing banger, and they also did a great work on Jessie Ware's Running.

Oh, and earlier, I was bitching about costs of clubbing and festivals in Paris. Well I just found out about a new one, The Peacock Society (Weird name...). Pretty good line-up and 55€ for a 2-Nights Pass.

Shaneus

Andy Moor & Adam White owned as 'The Whiteroom' - their song 'White Room' is one of my alltime favourites, you shouldnt be ashamed to be honest. Even if you don't like trance in general, you have to appreciate this for purely on production quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEcwj1yNuiM

edit: Agree with what you said on newer trance, around 2005 the artists started copying each other and doing what the current trend was. At least back in the days you could tell an artist from another by their unique styles.
Yeah, that's not bad, TBH... but it errs on the side of being more generic than Someday IMO. Reminds me a lot of this:
Chicane - Strong in Love (Disco Citizens remix)
Man, Chicane was the shit back in the day. Actually surprisingly good live as well, but the festival I saw him at had the live drums mixed WAY too high :(

Holy shit, that's fire. I don't know how in the hell those kids are so switched on. I may not like every single thing they've done, but I can see where they're coming from with everything and respect the hell out of it.

But like I said, *love* that.

I might see them in June if lucky, can't wait to see them live. They seem really into their live set and thats kinda rare I guess for house ? They also need to do more remixes, the Artful Dodger one is an amazing banger, and they also did a great work on Jessie Ware's Running.

Oh, and earlier, I was bitching about costs of clubbing and festivals in Paris. Well I just found out about a new one, The Peacock Society (Weird name...). Pretty good line-up and 55€ for a 2-Nights Pass.
Adana Twins? Damn. That's actually a really good lineup as well. Different, but still accessible. And Gesaffelsetein. I hope you're going!

Shaneus

okno

500 is a lot of people for me o_o. I like my parties *cozy*. Anything over 300 is too much, frankly.

What's amazing about NYC is that we're a big ass city with a lot of fans of this music, but the parties very, very, very rarely reach full capacity. It's one of the few things that keeps me here, knowing that the parties don't get nutso-bonkers unless it's a big, big name ticket.

Shaneus

Yeah, I agree... but this is small for the type of venue it's in. It's far from a boutique bar or club (and I obviously prefer those gigs WAY more, regardless of who's playing. Nothing like being able to shake the hand of/high-five the DJ when you're smashed) but considering it's a somewhat sizeable venue overall (this is just one room of it that's closed off) it should still give off the cozy vibe. There's not a lot of lighting in there, there's material draped from the ceiling to close it in and the room's lined with couches and other types of seats, so it's about as closed in as that sized room can get.

To give you a (honestly, quite shit) idea of what the room will feel like, this is the same room two years ago when I saw Robag play there.

FWIW, the set I just linked to is still far and away the best DJ set I've ever seen anyone do EVER. Nothing else has come close to pushing my boundaries and challenging my tastes/concepts. Feeling my head trying to comprehend the music without actively thinking about it (if that makes sense) was the weirdest, most pleasurable sensation I can remember. And I was stone-cold sober.

PS. Some brief footage of my favourite venue in Melbourne, onesixone. Notoriously hard to get in there (thankfully, I know people ;) ) but always worth it. Makes me feel like I'm in another city, like I'm in some exclusive place where only the coolest of people hang out. I never, ever feel out of place though. It's not the sort of venue where you go, see everyone's just on a whole other level of cool, relaxed and beautiful... you feel a part of it. Ugh, I know I'd miss it if I lived anywhere else.

okno

My second favorite party ever (the first being Peter van Hoesen doing an 8 hour set at the Bunker in 2011, just a brilliant night, shook his hand and all at the end (was there for the full 8 hours)) was seeing Robert Babicz in a tiny little basement bar in Chicago with, at most, 20 people in the room for the entire night. I felt bad for him, especially considering it's Robert fucking Babicz, but he leaned into it and just gave us a hell of a time. At the end, he stepped down and mingled and was really casual and natural with everyone (his english was, at the time (2009), terrible) and it was cool as hell to just approach him and have a chat. Unfortunately, I had taken a decent amount of 2c-i a few hours prior and it didn't hit me at all until the moment I stepped up to him, so I had to leave pretty soon after that as I just got really, really weird...

Shaneus: still so jealous you've seen Robag.

Nyx

I think both have their charms.

A small party with 300ish people in 1 room is indeed more intimate and also better for deeper longer DJ sets imo.

While a festival with 35.000 people is fun cause you have so much choice on where to go next, and ofcourse the 10.000 females in hotpants etc. ;-)

bowery

seeing disclosure tnght and julio bashmore in central park in august, should be a blast, 40$ is kinda steep tho, duke dumont is coming to nyc in may but i wont be able to make it =[, also ryan hemsworth is performing the night i am flying into paris at social club going to really try to make that one

okno

seeing disclosure tnght and julio bashmore in central park in august, should be a blast, 40$ is kinda steep tho, duke dumont is coming to nyc in may but i wont be able to make it =[, also ryan hemsworth is performing the night i am flying into paris at social club going to really try to make that one

$40?! Christ! I'll pay it though to see those guys in Central Park! That's dope! Thanks for the Duke tip off, didn't know he was coming. Most likely wont be able to go as I'll be working a pretty high profile event that entire weekend... Fuck :(

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Haha man, I'm used to paying $200-$300 for festivals, so $40 seems like a great price to me. Although I guess considering how many sets you get to see at a festival it turns out to be a pretty good deal.

In other news I uploaded a video from the Kaskade Redux show I saw last night at Cielo. That set was insane, I really wish he would stick to his deep house tracks when he plays major festivals. I saw him at EDC Vegas last year and it was all electro/progressive/dubstep. I was pretty disappointed.

Shaneus

also really digging that new jacques lu cont, so much energy in his music
motherfuckinbrofist.gif

Yeah, I really dig it. It reminds me of when club music was really banging but not because it had peaks and troughs and sounded exactly the same as everything else. And there's a lot of his signature relentlessness AND off-beat/kilter beats/synths (see Traintracks)... ugh, just enough stuff to do your head in, like when a DJ fucks up a mix but is able to slowly reign it back in. Can't say I've ever heard it done in a commercial/club track before (at least, not a notable one) and it sounds rad as shit.

The old JLC is back :D

thabiz

DJ Shiva - SUBterror Radio 04.21.13
01. James Ruskin - Vox [Tresor]
02. X501 - X501.3 [Krill]
03. Dynamic Reflection - Comprehend [Dynamic Reflection]
04. Takaaki Itoh - Slicer (Sleeparchive Remix 2) [Wols]
05. Zadig - The Grip [Deeply Rooted House]
06. Exploit & Woo York - 2022 [Mutex]
07. Kernel Key - Trautorium [Greta]
08. Audio Injection - No Key [Droid]
09. Cubix - Poxi [Synewave]
10. On/Off - Faker [Onofficial]
11. Paul Mac - Resident Problem (Kamikaze Space Programme Remix) [Tactical]
12. Gingy & Bordello - Panopticon (Locked Groove Remix) [Turbo]
13. NX1 - MR1 [M_Rec LTD]
14. Audionite - Concentration of Authority (J. Tijn Remix) [Boysnoize]
15. Zadig - TTRXL [Deeply Rooted House]
16. Shawn Rudiman - The Flashbak! [Detroit Techno Militia]
17. J. Tijn - Fucklebucks [Pennyroyal]
18. Paul Birken - Speaker Freak [Communique]
19. George Lanham & Mr. Jones - Collab 7 [The Public Stand]
20. Aiken - Trust Ourselves [Semantica]
21. Paul Mac - First of Many [Tactical]
22. Adam Jay - Crutch [Chroma]
23. Heiko Laux - ReTelevised [Thema]
24. Plural - Can't Fade Me [Home]
25. Black Asteroid - Pressure (Len Faki Repressure) [Electric Deluxe]
26. Andrei Morant - Triumph [Scope]
27. Alex Falk - Clinch [favor.]
28. Fractious & JC Williams - Faceless (Rod Remix) [Inflyte]
29. Kowton - Dirty Little Bomb (Rivet Remix) [Teal]
30. Kerri Chandler - Pong (Ben Klock's Bones & Strings Rework) [Deeply Rooted House]

Frank De Wulf - Definition of Oldskool 3 @ Detuned 2013 MUST LISTEN!!!! did someone say ACCCCIIIIIIDDDDDD.

Roberto Bosco @ Compound, Studio 80, Amsterdam

Speedy J - CLR podcast 217

gdt

What the fucking fuck? $40 to see those 3 major fucking acts? 2 tickets bought right now no questions.

Duke Dumont will play in Philly in a few weeks! But its at what seems to be a gay club. I've never been to a "nightclub" and I'm not sure if I want to go to my first one to be surrounded by shirtless men lol.

okno

What the fucking fuck? $40 to see those 3 major fucking acts? 2 tickets bought right now no questions.

Duke Dumont will play in Philly in a few weeks! But its at what seems to be a gay club. I've never been to a "nightclub" and I'm not sure if I want to go to my first one to be surrounded by shirtless men lol.

Maybe you should go to learn how wrong you are about gay culture.

gdt

Maybe you should go to learn how wrong you are about gay culture.

I have absolutely no issue with gay culture and support gay rights in every shape and form. I'm just nervous to have my first time in a nighclub (only really there to see the DJ) be in a gay club. I'd be nervous about walking into a "regular" nightclub too. Hence why I've never gone. And I used the shirtless joke cause thats whats on the front page of the website lol.

miksushag

I have absolutely no issue with gay culture and support gay rights in every shape and form. I'm just nervous to have my first time in a nighclub (only really there to see the DJ) be in a gay club. I'd be nervous about walking into a "regular" nightclub too. Hence why I've never gone. And I used the shirtless joke cause thats whats on the front page of the website lol.

Come on man, it's Duke Dumont! If not for yourself, do it for me - Finland never gets any good artists, such a shitty place.

.. Well ok, saw Levon Vincent a few weeks ago, but had to travel like 200miles to the venue.

miksushag

https://soundcloud.com/miksuswag/miksuswag-wappuradio-26-4-2013

played last night 20 minutes in our schools Walpurgis Night Radio, sorry for the finnish overspeaks!

siriusmo - high together
sinjin hawke - prom nite
village - wanna tell you (henry krinkle remix)
dom kennedy - my type of party (brenmar remix)
panda - foolish
tessela & mylo - drop the hackney parrot (miksu mashup)
duke dumont feat. A*M*E - need u (100%)
miquel - do you... (cashmere cat remix)
frank ocean & l-vis 1990 - thinkin about ballad 4d (miksu mashup)

miksushag

Fun! Lovely track selection. Lots of talking though :(

You should get the guy (I assume it's not you) to give a shout out to GAF next time :p

Yeah, sorry about the talking - it has always been a part of our schools electronic music clubs tradition in these radioshows :)
I'tt try to remember next year!

Thanks for the play dude!

okno

Juan Atkins and Moritz Von Oswald album is sexy time.

Had no idea this was a thing, fucking awesome. Edit: also the easiest thing to find, whoop!

gdt, I tend to take that shit a little too personally, being gay and all. Just go, you'll have fun and be surprised at how normal it is. The shirtless nights only happen on the really gay nights, promise.

thabiz

dont listen to him gdt. last time i was at a club, just ass slapping, and sweaty pecs. eventually i said fuck it and joined in.

okno

When? I got a wedding on the 26th I can't miss. Would be fun, though, need an excuse to leave the city.

Prosumer, Murat Tepelli and Mike Servito are spinning at Output tonight : ( Stupid job is preventing me from going. Saw Prosumer last time he was in NYC in a tiny, strictly 150 person loft. Amazing night.

thabiz

When? I got a wedding on the 26th I can't miss. Would be fun, though, need an excuse to leave the city.

Prosumer, Murat Tepelli and Mike Servito are spinning at Output tonight : ( Stupid job is preventing me from going. Saw Prosumer last time he was in NYC in a tiny, strictly 150 person loft. Amazing night.

Dettmann is here on the 24th. Prosumer is here on the may 4th. might hit that up.

you should come up for Pride. thats a party and a half. largest one in North America.

Top Bottom