• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Shaneus

I wouldn't bother going near Solomun or Hot Natured, seriously. I don't know what the fuck happened to Solomun, but it's not good, and Hot Natured are, well, Hot Natured. How much are tickets to this thing?
Yeah, well Hot Natured garnered a mention because they're supposed to be massive (note: didn't say "good"), thought Solomun might be okay but I remember seeing him on Boiler Room or something and he was kinda weird.

No idea on tickets or who's playing when, but I'm gathering that you might not be able to buy tickets for individual days... that they're saying "one ticket, two days" doesn't instill me with confidence. So maybe $200AU at least? One-dayers usually start around $110+ so it could be more :(

yeah not much that interests me on their, you're picks i've never heard of

I would probably just see Matrix & Futurebound then leave.
Cajmere = Green Velvet
LNTG = Late Nite Tuff Guy (if you haven't heard of him, you must be new to this thread)

Maya Jane Coles dropping Cirez D - On Off. Did I mention that I FUCKING LOVE TECHNO??!!
zomg Cirez D. Time for some of that up in this bitch for a Friday:
Knockout
Punch Drunk
Cirez D vs Beastie Boys - Galactic Tiger (super, super dope)

injurai

Banned
Cajmere = Green Velvet
LNTG = Late Nite Tuff Guy (if you haven't heard of him, you must be new to this thread)

buffy_sees_what_you_did.gif

guess I better familiarize myself...

Shaneus

someone told her she should sing.
I... what?!? At least when Maceo Plex "sings", he puts enough filters over it that it might as well be a speech synthesis program.

Honestly, I don't know why more people don't go down the route that Vitalic went down with Poison Lips (and I assume he had done this earlier). I still remember the first time my mate and I heard it out, we couldn't work out who the singer was until we heard it on a proper home system.

buffy_sees_what_you_did.gif

guess I better familiarize myself...
It's only because I've mentioned him on basically every single page of this thread for the last year or two! I don't blame you for not knowing who he is, but if you regularly visit this thread then there's no way you shouldn't know of him.

okno

Have any of you seen the movie Pitch Perfect? The main girl likes to make music. By using Traktor. She makes edits on the fly with Traktor and a Reloop Jockey controller, and all of her knobs turned down. She has a magic music making Traktor machine, it's bewildering.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Have any of you seen the movie Pitch Perfect? The main girl likes to make music. By using Traktor. She makes edits on the fly with Traktor and a Reloop Jockey controller, and all of her knobs turned down. She has a magic music making Traktor machine, it's bewildering.

Maybe she's just too good for you to comprehend.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
As of this writing Sasha has gone half an hour past his scheduled end time. People are still partying and he's still going strong. I have some awesome videos I hope to upload and show you guys.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a video of Sasha's set when the July 4 fireworks started going off. He was going full bore beforehand, but then slowed it down for a few minutes as people were turning around to shoot video of the fireworks. Then he picked it up and went back into party mode.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z9gq2gv67cl73w3/2013-07-04 21.34.47.mov

And this is another (shorter) video of his set. I took this video because I really liked this song and was hoping someone could ID it for me. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nfvp87ycl0wslhu/2013-07-04 21.10.46.mov

And here's a final Sasha video from earlier in his set, showing off the venue at dusk. The view really was something spectacular, and this video unfortunately doesn't do it justice.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9osop2frolujupe/2013-07-04 21.07.08.mov

Did he play Pachanga Boys- Time? I love that and Im pretty sure he does to. That or he really needs a toilet break haha

He might have? I'm not sure honestly, I wasn't really listening out for it.

zomg Cirez D. Time for some of that up in this bitch for a Friday:
Knockout

This is good but I prefer the Knockout EPIC Mix, which unfortunately hasn't been released as far as I know.

Dreaver

Hey guys, quick question: Is Disclosure worth €23 ($29) seeing live? I'm pretty fond on Settle, but I know there are quite some artists that are disappointing live. It's a small (1000 people ~) venue.

I need to order the tickets between now and 2 hours because I need to leave and I'm afraid it's sold out tomorrow.

gdt

Its $30, they are one of the biggest djs/acts/whatever in the world, just go see them. I'm hoping to see them soon too...missed my chance in March :(.

A whole crowd bopping to White Noise must be a pretty awesome experience.

Dreaver

Its $30, they are one of the biggest djs/acts/whatever in the world, just go see them. I'm hoping to see them soon too...missed my chance in March :(.

A whole crowd bopping to White Noise must be a pretty awesome experience.

fuck it, you're right I bought them!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
How to get into Sasha by miksushag incoming:

Original music:

Sasha ‎– Arkham Asylum / Ohmna
Sasha & Maria – Be As One

Sasha ‎– Xpander EP
Sasha / Darren Emerson (yes, the Underworld guy) ‎– Scorchio EP Check out especially Sander Kleinenberg's remix
Sasha - Airdrawndagger LP Not for everyone, but there is a few good songs in this
Sasha - Coma
Sasha featuring Krister Linder ‎– Cut Me Down , The Layo & Bushwacka! remix is the best out there.

Mixes:

essential:

Sasha ‎– Global Underground 009: San Francisco
Sasha ‎– Global Underground 013: Ibiza

Sasha & John Digweed ‎– Renaissance: The Mix Collection
Sasha And John Digweed* ‎– Northern Exposure
Sasha ‎– Involver

further listening:

Sasha And John Digweed* ‎– Northern Exposure 2
Sasha + John Digweed* ‎– Northern Exposure: Expeditions
Sasha &#8206;&#8211; Invol2er / Involv<3r

Remixes:

BT - Embracing The Sunshine (Sasha Remix)
BT &#8206;&#8211; Remember (Sasha Remix)
The Chemical Brothers - Out Of Control (Sasha Remix)
Little Boots - Earthquake (Sasha Remix)
Doves - Jetstream (Sasha Remix)
Charlie May & Barry Jamieson - Homecoming (Coma Remix)

edit: there is a shit load more remixes by Sasha from the 90s, but only for if you want to get really into his production :)

Awesome list, I'd also add the Qat Collection, Horse - Careful (Sasha's Horse With No Name mix), Madonna - Sky Fits Heaven (Sasha mix) and Hysterix - Talk To Me (Sasha mix) to the above...

Some great Sasha mixes online:

Essential Mix 2000

Live at One World, Glastonbury 2003

Sasha and James Zabiela Live on Annie Nightingale, 2003 - breakbeat frenzy

Essential Mix 2005, Live from Maida Vale - one of my favorite ever mixes, a diverse assortment of funky breaks, prog breaks, and downtempo... if you like the Northern Exposure series or Involver, this is highly recommended.

Sasha and Digweed live at Southfest, Buenos Aires Part 1 Part 2 - electro house style

2007 Thank You mix - starting to get a bit minimal on this one... though it did introduce me to The Field...

Sasha and Digweed, Bonnaroo 2007 - this is when they were in their mnml phase, it's not one of my favorite sets but a lot of people loved it way back when...

Leeds Warehouse, May 5 2013 - my favorite Sasha set since the Maida Vale one above.

Tape from 1992, quality is of course really poor but it's a blast from the past!

miksushag

Definitely those remixes also, I was compiling that list in a bit hurry before work =)
I'm in between whether he is a better producer or a better DJ.

Justin & Timberlake - Suit & Tie (Oliver Nelson Remix) - best Suit & Tie Remix yet!
https://soundcloud.com/olivernelson/justin-timberlake-suit-tie

Dreaver

How to get into Sasha by miksushag incoming:

Original music:

Sasha &#8206;&#8211; Arkham Asylum / Ohmna
Sasha & Maria &#8211; Be As One

Sasha &#8206;&#8211; Xpander EP
Sasha / Darren Emerson (yes, the Underworld guy) &#8206;&#8211; Scorchio EP Check out especially Sander Kleinenberg's remix
Sasha - Airdrawndagger LP Not for everyone, but there is a few good songs in this
Sasha - Coma
Sasha featuring Krister Linder &#8206;&#8211; Cut Me Down , The Layo & Bushwacka! remix is the best out there.

Mixes:

essential:

Sasha &#8206;&#8211; Global Underground 009: San Francisco
Sasha &#8206;&#8211; Global Underground 013: Ibiza

Sasha & John Digweed &#8206;&#8211; Renaissance: The Mix Collection
Sasha And John Digweed* &#8206;&#8211; Northern Exposure
Sasha &#8206;&#8211; Involver

further listening:

Sasha And John Digweed* &#8206;&#8211; Northern Exposure 2
Sasha + John Digweed* &#8206;&#8211; Northern Exposure: Expeditions
Sasha &#8206;&#8211; Invol2er / Involv<3r

Remixes:

BT - Embracing The Sunshine (Sasha Remix)
BT &#8206;&#8211; Remember (Sasha Remix)
The Chemical Brothers - Out Of Control (Sasha Remix)
Little Boots - Earthquake (Sasha Remix)
Doves - Jetstream (Sasha Remix)
Charlie May & Barry Jamieson - Homecoming (Coma Remix)

edit: there is a shit load more remixes by Sasha from the 90s, but only for if you want to get really into his production :)
Thanks! I'll give it a good listen this weekend and report back!

Definitely those remixes also, I was compiling that list in a bit hurry before work =)
I'm in between whether he is a better producer or a better DJ.

Justin & Timberlake - Suit & Tie (Oliver Nelson Remix) - best Suit & Tie Remix yet!
https://soundcloud.com/olivernelson/justin-timberlake-suit-tie

That S&T remix is pretty cool! Very smooth.

okno

that new mjc album is abysmal.

Just gave it a whirl and good lord. I've never loved her, always liked her, but this is just embarrassing! The album is the epitome of every single reason why deep house fell out of favor mid-2000s. Nothing fresh, nothing exciting, it's just bad.

That new Floorplan album, though, hoo boy. That's a good'un.

thabiz

Just gave it a whirl and good lord. I've never loved her, always liked her, but this is just embarrassing! The album is the epitome of every single reason why deep house fell out of favor mid-2000s. Nothing fresh, nothing exciting, it's just bad.

it really is bad. its almost laughable.

if you do want a laugh, i highly suggest you read some of the reviews on it.

to wash the bad taste out of your ears, heres a new dettmann set.

http://www.xlr8r.com/podcast/2013/06/marcel-dettmann

okno

it really is bad. its almost laughable.

if you do want a laugh, i highly suggest you read some of the reviews on it.

to wash the bad taste out of your ears, heres a new dettmann set.

http://www.xlr8r.com/podcast/2013/06/marcel-dettmann

I mean, for fuck's sakes, she has a clap/snare/hi-hat hit on EVERY 2 and 4. In nearly evey single track of hers, not exclusively to this album. I do kind of like "Everything" but that has more to do with me loving Karin Park's voice than anything else.

Yay, Dettmann!

This one's for you biz: Teer Som - Branch Point

thabiz

I mean, for fuck's sakes, she has a clap/snare/hi-hat hit on EVERY 2 and 4. In nearly evey single track of hers, not exclusively to this album. I do kind of like "Everything" but that has more to do with me loving Karin Park's voice than anything else.

Yay, Dettmann!

shes always been terrible. you know my thoughts on the whole "deep" house, jimpster bullshit. she literally jumped in a time machine and just did that. poorly. with horrible vocals. who let her release this crap? add the fact that shes a bad dj, and i think its time she just thanked everyone for her 15 min, and disappeared.

that branch point goooooooes at the end. dirty.

gdt

Ok sorry was on my phone.

The above song is The Break Up.

The follow up song on the EP (first EP on their own label) is called The Make Up.

Can someone take a listen to both songs, but specifically song number 2....is that sample saying "Put your penis on me"? I swear that's what I'm hearing.

Detroit Swindle mannnnnn, they are on fire.

miksushag

Yay, Dettmann!

My friend hosts/organizes this 'kosmos' techno party here in Tampere, Finland. He has booked so far Teer Som, Polysone, Rasmus Hedlund, Hannu Ikola & Hannu Karjalainen, Redled, Phonogenic and Juho Kusti from the Finnish techno scene. Does any of these ring a bell to you okno and thabiz?

miksushag

The follow up song on the EP (first EP on their own label) is called The Make Up.

Can someone take a listen to both songs, but specifically song number 2....is that sample saying "Put your penis on me"? I swear that's what I'm hearing.

That 'The Make Up' is my thang, really really nice. Any other good deep house releases lately, I haven't been following the scene too close.

Dreaver

I also recently discovered them, pretty bad ass. I'm probably seeing them in september. They also recently did a boiler room set.

Don't recall if I posted this before.

L'Ordre Collectif, or more specifically Else: https://soundcloud.com/lordrecollectif

Kind of a cross between Justice and Daft Punk.

Yeah they are great! I discovered them via the Vanderway edit from the Random Access Memories song. A lot of Daft Punk vibes in their songs.

miksushag

Would anyone be interested in these two LPs? I'm willing to up these for you.

Ceebrolistics - Ö
http://www.discogs.com/Ceebrolistics-Ö/release/498501
Ceebrolistics - 0.
http://www.discogs.com/Ceebrolistics-0-EP/release/108691

spaced out athmospheric "hiphop" with a lot of electronic influences, really more beats than rapping - vocals aren't the main thing in these lps.

Matti Pentikäinen is one of the three Ceebrolistics guys, you might know him better as Teeth :)

Ceebrolistics - Sinainin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH4x3VqxXxA

Ceebrolistics - Nämä Aallot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V7V4EvtYB0

okno

My friend hosts/organizes this 'kosmos' techno party here in Tampere, Finland. He has booked so far Teer Som, Polysone, Rasmus Hedlund, Hannu Ikola & Hannu Karjalainen, Redled, Phonogenic and Juho Kusti from the Finnish techno scene. Does any of these ring a bell to you okno and thabiz?

Not at all! I only discovered him because I follow Samuli Kemmpi on Facebook (really rad dude, so down to earth). Ima have to look into those guys, you Fins seem to know how to make proper techno ;)

Edit; Teeth is Finnish?! No way!

thabiz

I know Phonogenic, thats about it. he had a bunch of stuff on 20:20 years ago.

Nyx

A bit late perhaps but that set was the highlight of the festival for me and normally I don't really care for Blawan.

We went to Loco Dice next which sucked due to the much lower tempo, and later Miss Kittin was laughable mainly due to her singing to pretty slow beats as an opener. She must have felt pretty bad I reckon as the tent was already pretty empty to begin with but quickly got even worse when she had played for 10 mins.

All in all it was the best Awakenings Festival for me so far, mainly due to my friends and Ida Engberg, Blawan, Ben Sims and Joseph Capriati.

Top Bottom