• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

btkadams

:Motorbass said:
Anyone using hypem.com? It basically funnels many MP3 Blogs and when you register you can select blogs you want to follow.
You can also heart (fav) songs and get a feed based on artists as they pop up on the blogs.
Klick on "Read full post »" and you get to the blog and can mostly download the soundfile.
The search is useful as well.
there's a firefox plugin that downloads the stream-only songs off blogs easy, i don't have it though.

and yeah i use hypem everyday. it's actually my homepage when i open up my browser.

also, joelseph, how does google do that? i use the mac mail program for all of my feeds because i have all my email accounts in it as well. is there a quick link for the google reader feature that can change a blog into an rss feed without me having to use google reader as my rss reader?

joelseph

btkadams said:
also, joelseph, how does google do that? i use the mac mail program for all of my feeds because i have all my email accounts in it as well. is there a quick link for the google reader feature that can change a blog into an rss feed without me having to use google reader as my rss reader?

I am guessing but I think it just keeps a database of feeds and cross-references them when you ask it to find one. You could just use reader to find the feeds and then go to "manage subscriptions" and take the feed and put it into your Mac reader. But I don't think there is a stand alone tool.

---

unrelated:

shlohmo vs julio bashmore on mary anne hobbs is fucking fresh DL that shit.

joelseph

:Motorbass said:
Anyone using hypem.com? It basically funnels many MP3 Blogs and when you register you can select blogs you want to follow.
You can also heart (fav) songs and get a feed based on artists as they pop up on the blogs.
Klick on "Read full post »" and you get to the blog and can mostly download the soundfile.
The search is useful as well.

I need to use it more, something about the layout turns me off to the site. Much happier just following blogs and twitter.

joelseph

Ad Infinitum said:
big love for pejhy. my housemate is one of the writers and mush's dj sets are always big.

Hell yeah, they put up the Boy 8-bit remix of Booka Shade's Donut today, so they know what's up. =)

---

If anyone digs Shlohmo and abstract check out

http://soundcloud.com/error-broadcast/arousal-404-mixtape

Error Broadcast's first move in 2010 is 404 mixtape assembled by Flip under his aka Arousal for the MondayJazz collective with precious help from ASA~AMA on graphic design.
This one features some of the freshest material ready in our bag for 2010 and some of the best from 2009. Get into it and taste forthcoming heat from Shlohmo, B-Ju, AEED, Comfort Fit, Morpheground, Maguett and the premium collabo (costa) Vs AD Bourke.
2010...so ERRATIC!

404 on Error Broadcast
404 on Monday Jazz

TRACKLIST

01. EC|DC - Soulatronica Outro - self release
02. Mount Kimbie - Serged - Hotflush
03. Shlohmo - Spoons - exclusive via Friends of Friends
04. B-Ju - High Heels - Error Broadcast exclusive
05. Ichiro_ - Sun Dong Yeol - dub
06. Shlohmo - Hot Boxing the Cockpit (TOKiMONSTA remix) - exclusive via Friends of Friends
07. Dizz1 - Knontakosuke Yaro - Rush Hour
08. B-Ju - Metronoma - Error Broadcast exclusive
09. Hubert Daviz - Fresh from the Mint - Upmyalley
10. (costa) Vs Ad Bourke - Ominide - Error Broadcast exclusive
11. Dabrye - Game Over (Dorian Concept remix) - dub via Kindred Spirits
12. Comfort Fit - Bag Of Nothingness (Comfort Fit remix) - Error Broadcast exclusive
13. Morpheground - The Most High - dub
14. Portformat - Purple Planet - Tokyo Dawn
15. Sugoisounds - Sugoi's Theme - self release
16. Danny Breaks & Adlib - The Sound - Rush Hour
17. fLako - 04500 (feat. Amenta) - Kwatro
18. Railster - Song Known As Beat-e Refixed - dub
19. Maguett - Complex - Error Broadcast exclusive
20. Dabrye - Air (fLako & Robot Koch remix) - Kwatro
21. AEED - Untitled beat - dub

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Jesse Jane said:
22151_635512630540_10909520_36834819_5008003_n.jpg

Menno and Eco on Day 1 is pretty dope.

Looks like I'm missing WMC this year, perhaps my friends will drag me to this instead. Menno is a cool dude even though his music seems wayyyyy too much Armin style. I wonder if Rank 1 will bring the Keytar again :lol

Shaneus

So, this RA Top 100 of the Decade appeared in my inbox from Beatport today. How the fuck is it that I haven't heard of the VAST majority of acts in the top 20, let alone the 100?

Not having the Spirit Catcher remix of Starwaves is a fucking travesty, regardless of how credible the list is. Seriously. Easily the best electronic track of the decade.

btkadams

Shaneus said:
So, this RA Top 100 of the Decade appeared in my inbox from Beatport today. How the fuck is it that I haven't heard of the VAST majority of acts in the top 20, let alone the 100?

Not having the Spirit Catcher remix of Starwaves is a fucking travesty, regardless of how credible the list is. Seriously. Easily the best electronic track of the decade.
lists always blow. that's the first one i've seen with "where's your head at" though, and that track is extremely deserving.

btkadams

Dirty Disco Youth's OFF EP came out today on beatport and itunes. some good tracks and remixes there. mustard pimp always delivers of course! haha.

mustard pimp is always teasing us with previews of their tracks on soundcloud months before they release... their remix of missill's chuppa has had me eagerly waiting for over 3 months! i hope that we see some more releases from them this month.

Shaneus

btkadams said:
lists always blow. that's the first one i've seen with "where's your head at" though, and that track is extremely deserving.
That list seemed to be more elitist... like a Pitchfork "best of":lol There are a large amount of commercial tracks that were big commercially AND were actually good songs... none of which I could see made that list.

Could you point me to any of the others for me to bitch and moan about? Are there any "best of the decade" lists that you found to be decent?

On that note, I think I'm going to work on a "best of" list myself and maybe put a mix together of them (if they work well with each other). Starwaves will definitely be on there, for sure.

btkadams

Shaneus said:
That list seemed to be more elitist... like a Pitchfork "best of":lol There are a large amount of commercial tracks that were big commercially AND were actually good songs... none of which I could see made that list.

Could you point me to any of the others for me to bitch and moan about? Are there any "best of the decade" lists that you found to be decent?

On that note, I think I'm going to work on a "best of" list myself and maybe put a mix together of them (if they work well with each other). Starwaves will definitely be on there, for sure.
i actually can't think of any lists off the top of my head. i usually glance through them, express my disgust, and then forget about them lol. i honestly have never found any lists to be that amazing.

id be interested in hearing your mix though! (as well as showing my "disgust" at another list haha jk)

subrock

I'm still going to try to get to edmonton this spring/summer to play with miyuru so maybe we can do a gaf double header :D

Hope if anyone listened on the radio you enjoyed. glad I didnt shit the bed at any point.

btkadams

subrock said:
I'm still going to try to get to edmonton this spring/summer to play with miyuru so maybe we can do a gaf double header :D

Hope if anyone listened on the radio you enjoyed. glad I didnt shit the bed at any point.
meet halfway and play in calgary with him!

btkadams

subrock said:
you know anywhere good? I'm thinking I might try to set up some gigs across the country this spring/summer
theres a smaller bar in calgary downtown that is becoming the centre of electronic music (especially since the big electronic bar just lost its liquor license), its called "Habitat". a lot of the lower key electronic djs go through there. it's very small though. its where im seeing felix cartal in a couple weeks.

ill try to think of some others.

joelseph

Zomby is playing @ Twisted Pepper (Dublin) in March. Not to be missed if you are in traveling distance.

ZOMBY

www.myspace.com/zombyproductions

Never one to be tied down by the boundaries of any scene or genre, Zomby’s catalogue so far has unfurled in all sorts of weird and remarkable directions. From the dark bubbling atmospherics of his early Dubstep releases on the influential Hyperdub label, through the twisted, molten klaxons of his hardcore-influenced “Where were you in ‘92” album on Werk, to the serpentine psychedelic chip-tunes woven through his recent output on Ramp, Zomby has defiantly marched to the two-step beat of his own drum.

While Zomby chooses to cloak himself in anonymity - notably obscuring his face with the pyramid eye of providence in his most used publicity shot - his musical output has created serious ripples both inside and outside of Dubstep circles. His album and EPs garnered rave reviews on websites such as Pitchfork (who describe him as “one of those crucial producers who can trace his lineage back though a youth of garage, jungle and rave”) and Resident Advisor (who proclaim that he “blew the bloody and stumped doors off the dubstep rule book”). It’s no surprise that every forward-looking new release from the influential producer is leapt on by a legion of DJs and dance music fans alike.

It’s not only critics who’ve taken notice of Zomby’s singular talents. Sharp-eared festival goers would have heard the unmistakeable bomb-scare sirens of ‘Euphoria’ dropped into Aphex Twin’s live sets last summer, and, more recently, none other than a certain Lady Gaga has blasted a cut or two during the interlude of her recent ‘Monster Ball’ tour.

In spite of the white-hot hype surrounding his musical output, Zomby only rarely makes live appearances. ‘Where were you in ’92?’ Zomby asks in his giddy love-letter to the mashed up days of hardcore; where will you be on Friday March 19th?

joelseph

picked this up on hotbiscuit today: I randomly heard of Drexciya from one of the ustream’s that Bok Bok was doing, I think he played “Under Sea Disturbances” and I was instantly hooked. I did some Beatporting and here we are, with some hot tracks fresh from 1999 and 2002. Oh, also, if you haven’t tuned into the ustream’s that Bok, L-Vis, Kingdom and Dubbel Dutch do… YOU NEED TO.

---

The streams are really good and they do them pretty regularly. Maybe I will see some of you on them..

joelseph

Few of you (djtiesto) are going to be all over this, this mix is so jack.

---

Cover-art1-452x452.jpg

Cover-art1
Femme En Fourrure – Plump Bisquit

February 8th, 2010

Femme En Fourrure just released a new EP on Top Billin. “Plump Bisquit” is one of my favourite tracks at the moment so be sure to go get your copy on Beatport.

“Femme En Fourrure aka Juuso & Bianca, our fellow disco/house lovers from Helsinki have been making waves witheir minimalistic yet bass-heavy house sound lately. Juuso has been known as disco-enthusiast and now with a female companion, they create a house sound that very much 2010. They’ve done remixes for Crystal Fighters, Edu K, Myd (‘Train To Bamako’) anyone, huge ep that one) and a release for Dandy Kids records last year, so it’s time to release a single from them on Top Billin. As Femme En Fourrure and Sharkslayer are friends, what would be more appropriate than a Sharkslayer remix/‘demon dub’ (a true soundboy burial) to accompany the single. This for the ones who love that techier side of house but with soft deep subs and airhorns. If you play that Renaissance Man/Sound Pellegrino style as well as some Sinden/Crookers vibes, you might find this relevant to your interests. There’s a lot more in the pipeline from the dynamic duo, so keep watch.”

Femme En Fourrure – Plump Bisquit (direct link)

They also made a mix to promote the release:

Femme En Fourrure – Bisquit Goes Plump: Mix for Top Billin (zShare)

Tracklist after the jump

Intro
Ike – Docs Edit (Philpot Records)
EssenVee – Elephant Bass (Oliver $ Deep Remix) (Pieces Of Eight Records)
Daniel Steinberg – Preacherman (Front Room Recordings)
Alexuuu & Tdk – Papa No Mono (Dirty Culture Remix) (Pro-Motion)
Per Hammar – Bang (Great Stuff Recordings)
Malente & Dex – Gipsy Kings (Round Table Knights Remix) (Exploited)
Femme En Fourrure – Plump Bisquit (Top Billin Records)
Riva Starr – Black Cat, White Cat (Made To Play)
Tom Flynn – Spaced Out (Hero In My Hood)
Claude VonStroke – Greasy Beat (J. Phlip Remix) (Dirtybird)
Mindz Kontrol Ultra – Where Are We Coming From? (Composite Records)
Seuil – Musm (Moon Harbour Recordings)

djtiesto

Shaneus said:

Hmm, I recognized most of the top 20 (not familiar with Newworldaquarium tho), "Man With The Red Face" and "Rej" were huge techno anthems back in the day. But their list is mostly techno and deep house-focused... not much prog or breaks at all, which is weird since prog was one of the more dominant genres for the first half of the decade.

joelseph

Solo – Midget Mix

http://soundcloud.com/mrsolo/solo-midget-mix-feb-2010

MF Doom – America’s Most Blunted
Round Table Knights – Calypso
Guayabo – Cdr
Filthy Rich – Arumba
Sandy Huner – Rare Tap (2000 And One Cut)
Magrinhos- Japonesa
Cdr – Zul
Jan Solo – Un Tabaquito Con Ron (Muzzaik Remix)
DJ Madskillz – Surface
New Boys – Crickets
Dave Rose, Deka – Tumba Me
Mowgli – Can’t Stop Singing (Solo Remix)
Dani Veiga – Control
Pet Soul Boys – Calypso Soul (Edu Imberton Remix)
Cdr – Circus
Dean Martin – Ain’t That A Kick In The Head

atxDUTCH

Neo Member
Damn GAF.

I don't listen to a lot of electronic music, mainly DJ Krush, Shadow and Prefuse 73 etc. But this thread has made me want to dive in. Please keep it coming.:D

Shaneus

djtiesto said:
Hmm, I recognized most of the top 20 (not familiar with Newworldaquarium tho), "Man With The Red Face" and "Rej" were huge techno anthems back in the day. But their list is mostly techno and deep house-focused... not much prog or breaks at all, which is weird since prog was one of the more dominant genres for the first half of the decade.
Yeah, that Red Face remake was amazing. But on your second point, majority of top 10/top 100 lists seem to ignore the first half of the decade/year/century as they're not in the forefront of your mind while compiling.

btkadams

felix cartal said he was releasing his first single off his new album today, and theres no post on his fb, no song on beatport or itunes, and no song/post on his website.

LIES!!

joelseph

btkadams said:
felix cartal said he was releasing his first single off his new album today, and theres no post on his fb, no song on beatport or itunes, and no song/post on his website.

LIES!!

Usually will get released first by the label, did you check there?

btkadams

joelseph said:
Usually will get released first by the label, did you check there?
yeah dimmak's website also says digital release today but it hasnt been updated. it just shows todays date as if it's coming up.

WAKE UP FELIX! GET OUT OF BED!

atxDUTCH

Neo Member
joelseph said:
http://soundcloud.com/error-broadcast/arousal-404-mixtape

TRACKLIST

01. EC|DC - Soulatronica Outro - self release
02. Mount Kimbie - Serged - Hotflush
03. Shlohmo - Spoons - exclusive via Friends of Friends
04. B-Ju - High Heels - Error Broadcast exclusive
05. Ichiro_ - Sun Dong Yeol - dub
06. Shlohmo - Hot Boxing the Cockpit (TOKiMONSTA remix) - exclusive via Friends of Friends
07. Dizz1 - Knontakosuke Yaro - Rush Hour
08. B-Ju - Metronoma - Error Broadcast exclusive
09. Hubert Daviz - Fresh from the Mint - Upmyalley
10. (costa) Vs Ad Bourke - Ominide - Error Broadcast exclusive
11. Dabrye - Game Over (Dorian Concept remix) - dub via Kindred Spirits
12. Comfort Fit - Bag Of Nothingness (Comfort Fit remix) - Error Broadcast exclusive
13. Morpheground - The Most High - dub
14. Portformat - Purple Planet - Tokyo Dawn
15. Sugoisounds - Sugoi's Theme - self release
16. Danny Breaks & Adlib - The Sound - Rush Hour
17. fLako - 04500 (feat. Amenta) - Kwatro
18. Railster - Song Known As Beat-e Refixed - dub
19. Maguett - Complex - Error Broadcast exclusive
20. Dabrye - Air (fLako & Robot Koch remix) - Kwatro
21. AEED - Untitled beat - dub

fuuuck yes

joelseph

The Tons of Friends album preorder is such a letdown. 128kbs mp3s "Big Club Fat Ass" and "Boxer", two of the weaker tracks on the album and both are already out. Lame.

joelseph said:
Debating if I want to buy a 12 inch of Booka Shade vs M.A.N.D.Y Donut or just get the Roy Apron remix digitally...
Such a tune and I see Booka are playing at Koko in London in may , may have to visit.

Shaneus

Don't think I've heard that track before. In fact, have never really heard much of M.A.N.D.Y. other than that sweet remix of Strangest Things (by Freeform Five).

TheExodu5

Banned
Well so I'm new to electronic music and I found out I like electro house.

Well I tried my good headphones with some music tonight. Ultrasone HFI-580. God damn. These things were made for electro house. They sound absolutely unreal. The bass is punchy, and very tight. If any of you have heard the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pros...well let's just say these blow them away.

If you like this type of music and like headphone listening, I highly recommend you give these a shot.

ultrasone_HFI580.jpg

Nyx

btkadams said:
who are you guys following on beatport?

Artists :

Adultnapper
Bearweasel
Marcin Czubala
Nicole Moudaber
Steve Lawler
Alex Celler
Ali Nasser
Anthea
Audio Werner
Boris Werner
Dario Zenker
Davide Squillace
Dyed Soundorom
Kaiserdisco
Mathias Kaden
Nick Curly
Okain
Peace Division
Santos (Italy)
Varoslav

Labels :

Freak n Chic
8Bit
Tsuba
VIva Music

djtiesto

Nice list, Nyx... LOVE 8bit and Freak n Chic.

on BP I follow these labels Labels:

Discoteka
20:20 Vision
Urbantorque
Add2Basket
8bit
Wolf + Lamb
Freak n Chic
Crosstown Rebels
Culprit
Eskimo
Permanent Vacation

btkadams

subrock said:
currently thrashing to Felix Cartal- Volcano in my living room :D
i was thinking of buying this but i will inevitably buy the album next week anyways so I think im gonna hold out. but maybe i should buy the remix? is it good? i listened to the preview, but to be honest it and felix's new remix of droplets sound pretty underwhelming.

Top Bottom