• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

joelseph

Fatclub interviews Oneman: "The DJ's DJ"
http://www.thefatclub.com/interview-oneman/

Few of the questions:

Do you think that the increasing ambient undercurrent; the more experimental angle, with garage swing on beats, which is emerging can uphold dancefloors and break its way through to the mainstream in the way that Electro and some of the more jump up Dubstep has?

I’m interested to see where you think things are headed, since you seem to place all these genres, and indeed eras, next to each other and make it work, in the darker more experimental worlds of… whatever genre/s we are now talking about…

I think it’s about the way you choose to present the music to people. I like to show people the connections between new and old and that not all of the stuff that is say 10 years old sounds dated. A lot of tracks still stand up today to the newer tunes. Tracks like ‘KMA – Cape Fear’ or ‘Musical Mob – Pulse X’ still hold weight on the dancefloor a.) because they are classics within their rightful scene and b.) because they are great records that work. Producers like Joy Orbison, Martyn, Deadboy, Doc Daneeka, Martin Kemp, Addison Groove are all making music that is dancefloor and deep and at the same time it all sounds completely new and fresh, and they are all starting to make a mark in the Underground so its only a matter of time before it catches on to the mainstream.

Do you think Burial opened some doors for more alternative beats to go mainstream when he got nominated for the Mercury Prize?

Yeah Burial definately helped and so did The Streets with ‘Original Pirate Material’ which was so groundbreaking. The production was so ‘alternative’ for garage. The kinds of piano and strings, and even the beats he uses in tracks like ‘Has It Come To This?’ and ‘Turn The Page’ remind me of Burial stuff when i listen back to it, just a lot less atmospheric and weird. Burial has made music that transcends most genre barriers and its great that a label like Hyperdub is putting out his music, it’s really important that we have labels like that pushing the boundaries of UK music.

Is wobble a thing of the past? Making way for delicate little synth tones and Vengeance percussion?

I suppose a look at your top current tunes would give us a reasonable idea of what’s going on in the world of Oneman; and since you’re friends with some of the most breakthrough artists of the contemporary ‘underground’, I guess we can take this list as a somewhat concise pointer in the direction of big things to come in 2010…

I think the who wobble bass thing can still work, it just needs to be used in new contexts, take Bok Bok’s ‘Citizens Dub’ for example or Mumdance’s ‘So Squalid’ these tracks are using wobble bass in different ways rather than the current midrange distortion sounds common in a lot of dubstep at the moment. Apart from the wobblez, generally the music seems to becoming a bit more grown up I think. The whole darker house stuff, producers like Cooly G, DVA, Fis T, and the ones i mentioned before all have this vibe to their music that is a bit more mature and has more depth than most UK Funky I hear, like they’re proper tunes. The UK is coming into its own with a whole new house sound right now and its broken, dubby and left just like most of our underground music fom the past

What are your top 10 tracks of the moment?

Fis-T – Deep Mover VIP
Jay Weed – On The Nile
Joy Orbison – So Derobe
Mala – Level Nine
James Blake – Give A Man A Rod
Cassie – Official Girl (Deadboy’s Unofficial Girl Remix)
Joker & TC – It Ain’t Got A Name
Lone – Once In A While
MJ Cole – Sincere (Mumdance & High Rankin Remix)
Martyn – Freidrichstrasse

- Dickon Stone

subrock

btkadams said:
i was thinking of buying this but i will inevitably buy the album next week anyways so I think im gonna hold out. but maybe i should buy the remix? is it good? i listened to the preview, but to be honest it and felix's new remix of droplets sound pretty underwhelming.
The remix is more djable but I like the original more. I think it's on YouTube for you to give it is listen.

Nyx

djtiesto said:
Nice list, Nyx... LOVE 8bit and Freak n Chic.

Definitely great labels, hardly a dull release.

Latest 8Bit fav :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqxrQuI6Lf0

Was listening to it just now while waiting on my bus in the freezing cold, most people were looking angry, I was smiling.

I get euphoric everytime I find new music like this, wish I was 10 years younger so my friends would not have become old and cranky in regard to houseparties, cause I'm almost ''the last man standing'' now. (meaning I need to push hard to get my friends to come and dance)

subrock

BTW the youtube video is NSFW. topless niki belucci staring back at me when I opened it.

Nyx said:
Definitely great labels, hardly a dull release.

Latest 8Bit fav :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqxrQuI6Lf0

Was listening to it just now while waiting on my bus in the freezing cold, most people were looking angry, I was smiling.

I get euphoric everytime I find new music like this, wish I was 10 years younger so my friends would not have become old and cranky in regard to houseparties, cause I'm almost ''the last man standing'' now. (meaning I need to push hard to get my friends to come and dance)

SumPog

Neo Member
There's a Japanese Electronic band called Kashiwa Daisuke and they are honestly one of the best bands there will ever be in the genre
jk_cxca-1212.jpg

Check out that album right there (Program Music)

sunsetsf

Banned
I'm listening to the newest Rob Da Bank show on Radio 1 and Silver Columns - "Columns" is first up. Anyone know anything about them? Google results in mystery...

Maybe I'm some huge prog dance nerd at heart, but Deadmau5's Strobes (final track off of For Lack of a Better Name) just is totally epic to me.

Whenever I listen to it, I imagine something out of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Some guy packing up his life and going to find some aliens or some shit and then they take him off to some far away place and it's like the end of 2001 with all the colors streaming by his face and it's fucking awesome. Totally builds and builds and then it just is amazing.

And I'm not even on drugs! :/

btkadams

Skiptastic said:
Maybe I'm some huge prog dance nerd at heart, but Deadmau5's Strobes (final track off of For Lack of a Better Name) just is totally epic to me.

Whenever I listen to it, I imagine something out of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Some guy packing up his life and going to find some aliens or some shit and then they take him off to some far away place and it's like the end of 2001 with all the colors streaming by his face and it's fucking awesome. Totally builds and builds and then it just is amazing.

And I'm not even on drugs! :/
no its definitely an awesome song. i don't really like deadmau5 that much but that song has always seemed fantastic to me.

joelseph

joelseph said:
Speaking of geniuses, Four Tet's new Essential mix is awesome. Lets turn this thread back around. =)

Look at this fucker, goddamn.

Four Tet — Angel Echoes

Floating Points — Vacuum

Robert Owens — Bring Down The Walls

STL — Jungle Sometimes
Oni Ayhun — Oar003 

Weather Report — Non-Stop Home

DJ Sprinkles — Grand Central Pt1 (Mcde Bassline Dub)

Four Tet — Sing

Benge — 1981 Yamaha Cs70m 

Joy Orbison — So Derobe
Melchior Productions — Different Place 

Dem 2 — Luv’s Hard New York
Seelenluft — Manila (Manitoba Remix) 

William Onyeabor — When The Going Is Smooth And Good 

Pryda — Muranyi 

Moodymann — Det.Riot

Zomby — Digital Fauna 

Joyce — Aldela De Ogum 

Joe Goddard — Apple Bobbing (Four Tet Remix)

Cassy — Soul Saviour
One Little Plane — Lotus Flower (Avus She’s Singing Mix) 

Hard House Banton — Reign Spoilt

Four Tet — Sing (Floating Points Remix) 

Troy Pierce — Oxytocin 

Laurie Spiegel — Patchwork

Eluvium — The Motion Makes Me Last (Four Tet Remix)

Came across these while searching for info about Ibiza, listened to a fair few of them at work. Some may be relevant to you interests.

Dontstayin archive
The Disco of Doom one was pretty good no idea how old some of them are mind you.

joelseph said:
And for those of you talking about Deadmou5 Strobe you will want to listen to "Pryda — Muranyi" in the 4 Tet mix.

Pretty good track. Doesn't build the same way as Strobes, but still enjoyable.

Shaneus

djtiesto said:
Old songs? Here are some picks, I tried to keep it from 1995 or before. Finally picked up a copy of the 10th anniversary remastering of Sasha and Digweed's legendary Renaissance Masters cd and have been in that 'oldskool' mood a bit.
Clearly a man after my own heart ;)
I could never pick a definitive "Top 10", but I can pick a "Top 10 tracks off the top of my head" quite easily ;)

Jam & Spoon - Follow Me
Legend B - Lost in Love
Cosmic Baby - Fantasia
Duke - So in Love With You (Full Intention remix)
O.T. Quartet - Hold That Sucker Down (Builds Like A Skyscraper remix)
Usura - Open Your Mind
Lustral - Everytime (both Nalin/Kane AND Mike Koglin remixes)
Vision Four 5 - Everything You Need (Tragic Rave Mix)
Dream Frequency - Take Me (Anthem Mix)
Marmion - Schöneberg (Marmion Remix)
Chicane - Offshore 97 (A Man Called Adam Remix)*
(bonus late-90s track)
Billie - Because We Want To (Tall Paul remix)

And presenting some of the best classic dance compilations:
Calamity Classics - Disc 1 (there's a disc 2, but no tracklisting ANYWHERE)
Strictly Techno Classics
Wild Anthems

* Easily the best chill/ambient track ever created. Everyone needs to find a copy... do what you can. It's not often I call a track my favourite of any genre (because I'm that bloody indecisive) but this is truly a masterpiece.

Edit: Now I'm craving all these classic tracks and ZERO way for me to listen to them at work. Shit.

subrock

djtiesto said:
aw man, taking me back with the orbital and orb tracks. good stuff.

check this guy out that I ganked from Miyuru's blog. 5 or so free downloads of pretty excellent songs.
http://fullofwhitehotrage.tumblr.com/post/394215570/zakolski-hot-swedish-indie-electro

joelseph

Chilly Gonzalez - Pianist Envy Mixtape
http://www.chillygonzales.com/mixtape/

Chilly Gonzales gives us a fresh new mixtape, “Pianist Envy” is made up of piano remixes of several hip hop and dance favorites, including tracks by Beyonce and Daft Punk! This first-ever “piano mixtape” offers a unique and masterful blend of Chilly’s piano and orchestral sounds with hip hop beats and electro. Among the artists featured on the mixtape we find 50 Cent, Daft Punk, Busta Rhymes, Claude Von Stroke, Clipse and Kelly Clarkson.

1. Tipsy
2. Many Men
3. Touch It
4. Vocal Chords (Claude Von Stroke)
5. A Milli
6. Grindin’
7. Rollin’ and Scratchin’
8. Single Ladies

btkadams

Shaneus said:
Orbital in a little over 24hrs. To say I'm pumped is a massive understatement.
im seeing felix cartal tonight and then him again with aoki and jfk on sat. i share you're pumped feeling!! haha orbital would be sick, ive never been.

btkadams

the felix cartal remix of volcano is really growing on me. same with his raindrops remix.

i really want mustard pimp's remix of shinichi osawa's EEAA to come out already. ive been fiending for that track.

Shaneus

btkadams said:
im seeing felix cartal tonight and then him again with aoki and jfk on sat. i share you're pumped feeling!! haha orbital would be sick, ive never been.
Apparently it's their first tour in Australia since 92. I'm trying to be not-so-pumped now because every time I am, I almost always get let down. So I'm just hoping they're gonna be okay and that they have some sweet merch. That's all ;)

btkadams

so i heard this song last night but i dont know what it is. i recorded a bit of it though. can anyone help me out?

heres the link. its only a 56 kb file from a cell phone so dont worry about it being a big dl.

Shaneus

subrock said:
Soooooooo jeals. Where are you seeing them?
This was at a place called The Billboard in Melbourne (Australia, woo). Seriously, so fucking amazing. Always right into it, they played all their big ones with Doctor? impressing me the most as a live performance. I still don't quite get why the Belinda Carlisle/Bon Jovi is so massive... it just annoyed the piss out of me when they played it.

Highlight of the night: the dude who went all out with his Orbital tour T-shirt (home made? I didn't see them for sale) and LED glasses :lol

Rktk

Fans of tech house should be listening to John Acquaviva's podcast, he usually rolls out live sets each month along with a tracklist. Not a fan of everything he's put out himself, but the mixes are fantastic. Seen him once and that was one of the best club nights I had in a long time.

206ezir.jpg

RSS
iTunes

LIVE in Qube, Rome, IT, Jan 22 2010:

http://media.libsyn.com/media/acquaviva/LIVE_Qube_Rome_Jan_22_2010.mp3

01 | Girls Like Hi Hats - Boys Like Bass - Sound Diffusion-Definitive
02 | The Road Of Excess - D.Ramirez Chant Mix - D.Ramirez-Slave Recordings
03 | gone hunting - Acquaviva Giacomotto-Definitive
04 | Hou Cha Cha - Acquaviva Giacomotto-definitive promo
05 | Mathematics - Belocca Instrumental Mix - Jochen Pash-Caballero
06 | Bitchslap - Original Mix - Antranig-Subliminal
07 | On Off - Original Mix - Cirez D-Mouseville
08 | Pack Your Trunks - Original Mix - Matt Cooper-Rekluse
09 | Mafia Wars - Broombeck Remix - Alex D'Elia, Nihil Young-Frequenza
10 | What You Want - Original Mix - D-Formation, Ferrero-BeatFreak Recordings
11 | Raw - David Amo, Julio Navas, Gustavo Bravetti-Fresco
12 | (june '08) minimal (acquaviva giacomotto definitive remix) - Speedy J-Plus 8
13 | Mmh Hmm - Original Mix - Acquaviva Giacomotto-Definitive
14 | Hole To Feed - Popof Vocal Mix - Depeche Mode-Mute
15 | Shameless - Original Rework - D-Formation-BeatFreak Recordings
16 | Musika - Original Mix - Mark Trophy-Vacation
17 | Carlton (Original) - Jorgensen & Jesse Voorn-Flooplay
18 | Do You Want It? - Original Mix - Mescal Kid-Subliminal
19 | Discotechno - Sebastien Leger-Mistakes Music
20 | Aviation - Alex Whitcombe & Simon Duffy

btkadams

subrock said:
anyone interested in shirts? $15 +shipping from canada
doing a first run of 30 that should be done this friday.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc59/tosubrock/bangfinaldemocopy.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
how much is shipping if i'm in canada?

does anybody know if the new felix cartal album is going to be digital release only? i really wanted a physical copy but i dont see it on my local music stores websites. i dislike itunes and have a policy of only buying wavs on beatport so if i get it on beatport itll be pretty damn pricey.

subrock said:
anyone interested in shirts? $15 +shipping from canada
doing a first run of 30 that should be done this friday.

Pretty good :) Is it just on White Ts? Id probably have one off ya (in the Uk mind you)
If you do it in this colour youve got an instant sale :D
LMFAO-03-big.jpg

Top Bottom