• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The OFFICIAL Pikmin 2 Topic.

Prospero

So I've discovered that overstrategizing on the final boss can make defeating it far more difficult than it needs to be. I just finished it off with ease.

The color of the Pikmin you take down to the final floor is completely irrelevant, as all the boss attacks are easily avoidable. As long as you're not playing a no-death challenge, just get them out of the way of the electricity, and use the whistle if they get hit by poison, water, or fire (which they won't, if you're fast enough--they don't even have to be doped up with the ultra-spicy spray). My mistake was thinking that a small group would be more maneuverable than a large one, so I'd take ten or so down into the pit, leaving the rest at the relatively safe area near the exit--the best way to do it is to lead all the Pikmin you have into the pit, and take it down by brute force.

Having both Olimar and Louie is such an advantage is you ask me Gahiggidy. When Olimar died in a cave one time...And it was only Louie...It just didn't feel right, and I couldn't believe that the entire first Pikmin was like this. Having both characters, makes for soon cool puzzles, and keeps me a lot busier.

Prospero

Having two controllable spacemen was convenient in a number of cases. If I wanted to go to a cave on the other side of the map fromm the landing site, I'd use Olimar with about sixty reds or something to clear the path of monsters, sending the reds back with the corpses and tablets. Once Olimar got to the cave, I'd use Louie to pick up the Pikmin that had returned to the site, along with high-value Pikmin that I wanted to take into the cave, and go to the cave unobstructed.

You could use the "nap" button to have the Pikmin carry one of the spacemen back to the landing site as well. Useful if you knew you'd need more Pikmin to complete a task before sunset, and you were on the edge of the map--one spaceman continues working, while the other goes back to the site on his own.

Deku Tree

Can anyone think of any logical reason why they wouldn't let you put your initials into your save file so that you get your initials in your high scores?

I wish they would have included that. It's fun to compete with people in the same house for high scores!

Deku Tree

olimario said:
I'm the one capturing the music. Tell me which caves and I'll get you the music.

Wow, thanks! I like most of the Pikmin 2 music alot.

I'm interested in the music on the rusty metallic cave levels where you can throw your pikmin over the ledges. I believe it's the same music in all of them. Specifically you can find it in the Valley of Repose, Subterranian Complex, Level 2. If you can get the music that'd be sweet! Thanks again.

One question guys, for some reason the online store I bought the game from sent me a canadian copy of the game. There are no differences, right? With the exception of the manual extra language.

Deku Tree

BatiGOOOOOOL said:
One question guys, for some reason the online store I bought the game from sent me a canadian copy of the game. There are no differences, right? With the exception of the manual extra language.

I think Canada got the better box art too.

Deku Tree said:
I think Canada got the better box art too.

Eh, kinda. The big quotes on the cover are awful and I miss the blurred enemy on the background. But the game is so fucking fantastic I can hardly stop playing.
:D

got my copy today and I played about 4 hours - cleared 3 dungeon; the game is fantastic and I really can't wait to play more. Work is annoying cause it stops me from playing the game :( Gotta go to bed.

didn't want to read too much but I agree with the comments about this game being disturbing - the collection of boss heads is pretty bloody pervese imo - its almost majora's mask (and THAT was the darker LOZ game) and in the light of all the recent beheadings; a tad distastful... but not really. The worm bosses head looked like a condom while the bird boss was just hilarious.

Fantastic game - I can't make out the tunes the Pikmin are humming - are they easily identifiable and can someone post the mp3 for the Pikmin single song?

Offtopic

whatever happened to MS pikmin clone 100 lands or whatever it was called - the one with acorns that had me scoffing in derision?

What is this about the bosses´heads being collectible? I´ve only faced the penis-like worm and in the Piklopedia I can see his full body.

BatiGOOOOOOL said:
What is this about the bosses´heads being collectible? I´ve only faced the penis-like worm and in the Piklopedia I can see his full body.

I don't mean for the pikomedia; its onscreen after the defeat as the Pikmin drag the corpse back onscreen. Its quite strange/funny/odd/disturbing.

The menu booklet is full colour and 100% class. I'm looking at it now. The clay art pikmin rocks.

TheGreenGiant said:
I don't mean for the pikomedia; its onscreen after the defeat as the Pikmin drag the corpse back onscreen. Its quite strange/funny/odd/disturbing.

The menu booklet is full colour and 100% class. I'm looking at it now. The clay art pikmin rocks.

Ah, yeah, you´re right. Forgot about that. Although I didn´t pay much attention it.

clear. Pikmin 2 (Completion + thoughts + MASSIVE SPOILERS)

finished the game 2 minutes ago - bloody freaking addictive; challenging and fun - those purple pikmins are my favourites - pack about 20-25 in the pack; have oli/louie go solo and clear rooms = TEH ROCK!!! And even at completion... I've still got stacks to do and rooms to clear. I played through it very aggressively; kill everything loot every space. And the PURPLES. :swoon:

1. Polish - damn; this game has it in spades; the reviewers/Gafers weren't kidding when they said that Pikmin2 was spectacularly loaded. I was really amazed at how much this game gives and will continue to provide; haven't tried 2p or
challenges
yet - and haven't gone through the pikolemdia or read about the treasure. Also haven't looked at the bonus section yet (although I'm guessing its FMV you'd already seen).

2. Gameplay. - Addictive to the max and damn bloody challenging to boot - going multi storey; makes for a pretty challenging session - try resisting the temptation to NOT press reset when combat goes awry and you lose 50 pikmins. The first time I encounter the
exploding rock
... :( If Nintendo were cruel; they'd left out the save between level feature. Hilarious and creative bosses to fight - the mechanical spider boss had me going WTF?! As a PIKMIN 1 fan; I'd say EAD did wonders in updating this sequel - the two new Pikmins,
sprays
and dual character action adds hell of a lot to the game - I was quite skeptical of the claims that some of the guys here won't go back to the first one but ... they could be right. Pikmin 2 is so well made.

Some of the puzzles were there to solve - quite a way - "you idiot" moments when you realise what you ahve to do. Fun. Olimario also died on me in one cave stage and I was left fighting
Endboss Emperor Bulbax from the first game
with about 20 pikmins. Final Floor too. Me = face sweat. Somehow managed to survive.

3. Extras. Okay... I now have the president; a WHOLE new area to explore and more things to do. GOTY. It was one thing for the game to finish with debt clearance (and maybe to go in and clear out the remaing areas but to add a whole new stage? OMGWTFBBQ. Totally IMpressed with Nintendo RIght now.

A++

AniHawk

TheGreenGiant said:
clear. Pikmin 2 (Completion + thoughts + MASSIVE SPOILERS)

finished the game 2 minutes ago - bloody freaking addictive; challenging and fun - those purple pikmins are my favourites - pack about 20-25 in the pack; have oli/louie go solo and clear rooms = TEH ROCK!!! And even at completion... I've still got stacks to do and rooms to clear. I played through it very aggressively; kill everything loot every space. And the PURPLES. :swoon:

1. Polish - damn; this game has it in spades; the reviewers/Gafers weren't kidding when they said that Pikmin2 was spectacularly loaded. I was really amazed at how much this game gives and will continue to provide; haven't tried 2p or
challenges
yet - and haven't gone through the pikolemdia or read about the treasure. Also haven't looked at the bonus section yet (although I'm guessing its FMV you'd already seen).

2. Gameplay. - Addictive to the max and damn bloody challenging to boot - going multi storey; makes for a pretty challenging session - try resisting the temptation to NOT press reset when combat goes awry and you lose 50 pikmins. The first time I encounter the
exploding rock
... :( If Nintendo were cruel; they'd left out the save between level feature. Hilarious and creative bosses to fight - the mechanical spider boss had me going WTF?! As a PIKMIN 1 fan; I'd say EAD did wonders in updating this sequel - the two new Pikmins,
sprays
and dual character action adds hell of a lot to the game - I was quite skeptical of the claims that some of the guys here won't go back to the first one but ... they could be right. Pikmin 2 is so well made.

Some of the puzzles were there to solve - quite a way - "you idiot" moments when you realise what you ahve to do. Fun. Olimario also died on me in one cave stage and I was left fighting
Endboss Emperor Bulbax from the first game
with about 20 pikmins. Final Floor too. Me = face sweat. Somehow managed to survive.

3. Extras. Okay... I now have the president; a WHOLE new area to explore and more things to do. GOTY. It was one thing for the game to finish with debt clearance (and maybe to go in and clear out the remaing areas but to add a whole new stage? OMGWTFBBQ. Totally IMpressed with Nintendo RIght now.

A++

Haha, you called Olimar, Olimario. :lol

I didn't know the chap was called Olimar... or can't remember.. :D Its been like months since Pikmin 1 and cause you read about Olimario all the time.. it just kinda stuck :)

No comments on the game? I love it!

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I'll be damned! It is "Olimar."

I remember when I first saw Olimario post here that his screen name wasn't exactly the same the Pikmin character, but I didn't think much about it. By the time Pikmin 2 to came around, I just assumed that it was "Captain Olimario."

I bet you could find countless posts here that mix up the names.

olimario

Banned
JJConrad said:
I'll be damned! It is "Olimar."

I remember when I first saw Olimario post here that his screen name was exactly the same the Pikmin character, but I didn't think much about it. By the time Pikmin 2 to came around, I just assumed that it was "Captain Olimario."

I bet you could find countless posts here that mix up the names.

:lol
This really tickles me.
I searched this thread for 'olimario' and sure enough, a bunch of posts popped up.
I wonder if this trend will extend into Pikmin 3. :)

olimario said:
:lol
This really tickles me.
I searched this thread for 'olimario' and sure enough, a bunch of posts popped up.
I wonder if this trend will extend into Pikmin 3. :)

Nintendo should just rename him Olimario; snappier sounding and as if we can't tell that even with characters; the spacemen were obviously hintage to the Super Mario Brothers..

Olmar and Louie

Mario and Luigi

I wonder why they did that; even though the character relationships are different;

brothers vs colleagues. In both instances; the L-character is the subservient/lesser/dumber one.

Prospero said:
So I've discovered that overstrategizing on the final boss can make defeating it far more difficult than it needs to be. I just finished it off with ease.

The color of the Pikmin you take down to the final floor is completely irrelevant, as all the boss attacks are easily avoidable. As long as you're not playing a no-death challenge, just get them out of the way of the electricity, and use the whistle if they get hit by poison, water, or fire (which they won't, if you're fast enough--they don't even have to be doped up with the ultra-spicy spray). My mistake was thinking that a small group would be more maneuverable than a large one, so I'd take ten or so down into the pit, leaving the rest at the relatively safe area near the exit--the best way to do it is to lead all the Pikmin you have into the pit, and take it down by brute force.

I came to the realisation that that's the way to go with bosses and the game in general. I bring loads of purples and juice them up and away they go. Also clear most levels this way. Don't know what this says about balance but it makes it quicker.. you'll be wanting to toss the purples at any critters first so if you break up the group; one to destroy traps and one to kill all monsters. it works exceedingly well and gives you less of those; damn it why are the yellow ones being chucked moments.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
TheGreenGiant said:
Nintendo should just rename him Olimario; snappier sounding and as if we can't tell that even with characters; the spacemen were obviously hintage to the Super Mario Brothers..

Olmar and Louie

Mario and Luigi

I wonder why they did that; even though the character relationships are different;

brothers vs colleagues. In both instances; the L-character is the subservient/lesser/dumber one.
I use to wonder why they called the sidekick "Louie" when the main character was "Olimario." Why not follow the first name with something like "Omiluigi." Louie makes more sense, now.

Olimario: Has Nintendo asked if they can use your likeness in Smash Bros. 3, yet?

olimario

Banned
JJConrad said:
I use to wonder why they called the sidekick "Louie" when the main character was "Olimario." Why not follow the first name with something like "Omiluigi." Louie makes more sense, now.

Olimario: Has Nintendo asked if they can use your likeness in Smash Bros. 3, yet?

They did and offered me $5,000 to do it.
The deal was broken when I demanded 1% of all Smash Bros. profits in the future.
Smash Bros. 3 was canned shortly thereafter.

Ranger X

I've been playing the 2 player battle mode for the first time with a friend of mine tonight!
WOW, i'm impressed. Mostly luck based but oh so fucking fun!!!

Memles

These pages upon pages of praise did me in. Well, sort of.

I want the game, but know I currently do not have the time to play it. But that knowledge was almost thrown away when I saw it on sale for about $30 American, equivalent, at Future Shop here in Canada this week ($45). However, I held off.

I then took the URL, sent it to my parents along with my Christmas List, which included the game, and basically told them "You have ten hours in which to buy this."

This game has a hold over me already. Finding time after Christmas for Pikmin 2, MP2 AND PM2? That could be interesting.

bumping this up. Not enough Pikmin love on this forum. I'm almost 100%. Just spent about 2 hour trying to conqueur dream den (only hole of heroes and the super heavy weight to pick up and I'm done).. Missed a treasure cause I was short on blues. :( Damn that boss is insane - I need to get out and refuel my pikmins + get more of the sprays to help me out. Couldn't defeat him but then my pikmins were down to 44 and 2 purples. Bloody cave just kept going deeper and deeper. Had to escape. Going back down once I refuel. :O I swear I have to learn to use the white pikmins better - tend to hate sacrifice but I guess that's what they're there for.

Bloody... hell. That final floor boss in Dream Den is tough. I can't imagine what the final boss in Hole of Heroes is going to be like.

What's the strategy for fighting the
goddamn tanker (shoots bloody fireballs) out at you; the level in Dream Den where I missed the treasure had loads of water and the creature is so hard to fight cause the non blues can't do anything - I used the purple sprays but I want to kill the sucker better

This game is insane; the creature design is better than 90% of the stuff out there. And the bosses.. :O

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
TheGreenGiant said:
Bloody... hell. That final floor boss in Dream Den is tough. I can't imagine what the final boss in Hole of Heroes is going to be like.

What's the strategy for fighting the
goddamn tanker (shoots bloody fireballs) out at you; the level in Dream Den where I missed the treasure had loads of water and the creature is so hard to fight cause the non blues can't do anything - I used the purple sprays but I want to kill the sucker better

This game is insane; the creature design is better than 90% of the stuff out there. And the bosses.. :O
I believe this was brought up earlier in this thread, but here it is again:

I recommend that you fight that creature
with a small group of doped-up blue Pikmin. Smaller groups are easier to arrange and are less likely be squashed/shot/eaten. On that stage, split the group in 2, with the larger group hiding as far away as possible and/or behind a wall, never getting involved; if that group is too close the spider-tank-thing will target them. The other group should consist of only a handful of blue pikmin (about 10-15).

At the start of the battle, supercharge your pikmin, and throw them onto the cretures main body. The creature has a short animation before it locks-on and opens fire (I believe it shakes off the pikmin and its bottom section opens); when this happens, call your small group together and run behind the nearest wall (find the nearest wall before the battle begins and attack from that side). When it stops shooting, run back out and attack its body some more.... and repeat.

Super-pikmin aren't needed to beat this guy, but they make it a quicker fight and they can run away faster.

Top Bottom