• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Prototype Thread

TheFallen

That video was posted a few days ago in the other thread.

Also, :lol at all the people complaining about violence in the game here on GAF. You guys surprise me.

poserdonut said:
I'm about 17 hours in now and I really like the game, I haven't played inFamous yet but I have it at home. My gut feeling is that Prototype is the better game of the two for me.

The fast pace and crazy ass action really appeals to me.

How far into the game are you after 17 hours? And is there much variety overall?

Gowans

That footage looks great, I'm nabbing this on Friday, I ended up getting bored around 60% into inFAMOUS and quitting then putting Crackdown in and just messing around and working it was the sense of power I was missing but this game really seems to have that in teh bucket load.

Red Faction has me sucked in at the mo but this is next.

• Unique Disguising Abilities:
Consume anyone at anytime, take on their appearance and assume their memories and special abilities.

Does anyone know if you can use another character indefinitely, basically as a replacement for the default model? I can not fucking stand the new main character design.

Anyone?

guggnichso

Banned
German magazine play3 gave it 83%. They gave inFamous 85%.

+ great action all the time
+ cool abilities and ways to attack
+ motivating "evolution"-system to level up

- KI is sometimes very bad
- sidequests are bland
- too much brutality

strange_booj said:
GoGamer.com - $35 for PC version

Game looks pretty good, but I'll probably pick it up when its $20.

I really want this game to be good, but that's how it'll probably turn out for me. I'll wait until it drops in price significantly.

K' Dash said:
Like I said in the other thread, I just got the game, I'll post some impressions tonight after work.
Awesome, where did you end up getting it?

I'm definitely going to be picking it up tomorrow.

Vik_Vaughn said:
See I thought Killer Instinct was always awesome.

Seriously, what is KI?
He probably meant AI.

Oof, that Youtube video seriously dampens my spirits about this game.

I think it's primarily the sound design. In Hulk UD (and even in promo videos of Prototype), you got a sense of weight and power that just isn't being displayed in that Youtube video.

Seeing the city at night doesn't seem to be doing the graphics engine any favors either.

Sega1991 said:
Oof, that Youtube video seriously dampens my spirits about this game.

I think it's primarily the sound design. In Hulk UD (and even in promo videos of Prototype), you got a sense of weight and power that just isn't being displayed in that Youtube video.

Seeing the city at night doesn't seem to be doing the graphics engine any favors either.

If there were to be a city-wide blackout, and the screen were to go entirely dark...that would be doing this graphics engine a tremendous favor. :lol

So, what's the word on reviews? And what is the exact release date of the game? Gamefly just pushed it up to the 11th, but I could have sworn it said the 8th or 9th only a few days ago.

AltogetherAndrews said:
And what is the exact release date of the game? Gamefly just pushed it up to the 11th, but I could have sworn it said the 8th or 9th only a few days ago.

"ship date" is tomorrow according to gamestop's website. So actually being able to find it in stores should be the day after

I want to buy this game. I was going to wait a month to be able to fit it into my gaming schedule, but Toys R Us is giving away a $20 gift card if you pick it up this week. I'll try to hold off for reviews as long as I can, but will probably bite on the 360 version if none show up by Saturday.

ArjanN

pixel monkey said:
If there were to be a city-wide blackout, and the screen were to go entirely dark...that would be doing this graphics engine a tremendous favor. :lol

Oh look, pixel monkey's back.

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Komputer Intelligence.

KI = Künstliche Intelligenz = Artificial Intelligence = AI

Xater said:
Still no reviews? When the fuck does the embargo end?
I'd rather have reviewers wait until after the game is released than release a review weeks before the release date and be subjected to criticism.

Shinjitsu

Banned
vandalvideo said:
I'd rather have reviewers wait until after the game is released than release a review weeks before the release date and be subjected to criticism.

"MONEYHAT"
"BIAS"

100% agree

I'd like to see a Giant Bomb review. I've been reading those guys' reviews for years and I have a good sense of each of the reviewer's tastes. Unfortunately, they are a small team and no one would have had an opportunity to play it at all last week so I'm guessing their review will be late.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
AltogetherAndrews said:

You can assume the identity of anyone in the game and use their look as long as you want. The problem is, when you consume someone else, you'll take that look instead. Also, when you want to use your powers, the identity you've assumed turns off until you remove your powers.

You are free to change back and forth between the "real" you and the identity you've assumed last. It is one of the techniques you use to sneak into places. You usually have the option of going all destruction/mass death, or trying to stealth your way through.

The concerns raised in this thread about a lack of reviews or of a demo, I'm afraid, are in fact, very well founded.

I went into more detail in an earlier thread and was relentlessly attacked for it by the Prototype defense force. Needless to say, the game is not good, and it plays like just like every Spider-man game from Activision before it mashed together with that piss poor Hulk game from last year, including the same strike forces called in to quell your activities.

Venom-esque attacks, flat and dull graphics (that certainly don't look like they belong in this gen), a story we've all read or seen a thousand times before and a "protaganist" (if you can even call this dickclown that) that it's impossible to really care about at all add up to a rental at best.

Don't say you haven't been warned.

KBox

This game simply looks fun. I played the inFAMOUS demo for a good hour or so, and all I'm getting from that is zap zap zap. I don't know how long that can hold my interest. I was about to buy it, but I believe I will go for Prototype instead, simply because of the variety of weapons, abilities, chaos, and being located in Manhattan.

Pixel, have you played inFamous? I can't decide!

pixel monkey said:
The concerns raised in this thread about a lack of reviews or of a demo, I'm afraid, are in fact, very well founded.

I went into more detail in an earlier thread and was relentlessly attacked for it by the Prototype defense force. Needless to say, the game is not good, and it plays like just like every Spider-man game from Activision before it mashed together with that piss poor Hulk game from last year, including the same strike forces called in to quell your activities.

Venom-esque attacks, flat and dull graphics (that certainly don't look like they belong in this gen), a story we've all read or seen a thousand times before and a "protaganist" (if you can even call this dickclown that) that it's impossible to really care about at all add up to a rental at best.

Impressions from watching the game being played for 50 minutes.

KBox said:
Pixel, have you played inFamous? I can't decide!

I own inFamous and there is absolutely no comparison. As far as open world hero (or anti-hero) games go right now, inFamous absolutely crushes Prototype. So does Crackdown, and even the shoddy Hulk movie-tie in game. Hey, at least you're the Hulk and you can pick it up for $20.

The tight gameplay, the platforming, the interesting character and beautiful graphic novel style cutscenes and the polish that Sucker Punch put into inFamous...this is a no-brainer.

If you feel like you want to go Prototype first, I'd make sure you purchase it from a store that will let you swap it out for inFamous if you bring it back with a few days.

ArjanN

pixel monkey said:

pixelmonkey.gif

DevelopmentArrested said:
Impressions from watching the game played for 50 minutes.

I see what you did there. I like how you've decided the precise amount of time the game was demoed for me.

As I said last week, it was at least an hour and probably closer to two. In that time, I was shown not only significant story progression, but also sandbox play.

But please, don't believe me. Wait for the reviews and by all means, try it for yourself.

And I liked the character model and some of the missions in Hulk, ArjanN...I was just hoping for so much more. A true successor to Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.

And before anyone says it, Prototype IS NOT that successor.

pixel monkey said:
I own inFamous and there is absolutely no comparison. As far as open world hero (or anti-hero) games go right now, inFamous absolutely crushes Prototype. So does Crackdown, and even the shoddy Hulk movie-tie in game. Hey, at least you're the Hulk and you can pick it up for $20.

The tight gameplay, the platforming, the interesting character and beautiful graphic novel style cutscenes and the polish that Sucker Punch put into inFamous...this is a no-brainer.

If you feel like you want to go Prototype first, I'd make sure you purchase it from a store that will let you swap it out for inFamous if you bring it back with a few days.

Platforming? Most of the time you could just spam the X button and you'd eventually reach the top of whatever building you wanted to. I don't think I ever actively engaged in platforming. Even when you're
Going up junk tower you gravitate towards obstacles

PS; Enough with the triple trippy monkey.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
pixel monkey said:
But please, don't believe me. Wait for the reviews and by all means, try it for yourself.
There have been 3 reviews already, all positive. While it may not redefine the genre, I'm pretty sure it will give me plenty of fun and carnage.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
vandalvideo said:
Platforming? Most of the time you could just spam the X button and you'd eventually reach the top of whatever building you wanted to. I don't think I ever actively engaged in platforming. Even when you're
Going up junk tower you gravitate towards obstacles

PS; Enough with the triple trippy monkey.

Please do not spread false info on infamous. Why do we even have to talk about inFamous in this thread?

guggnichso said:
German magazine play3 gave it 83%. They gave inFamous 85%.

+ great action all the time
+ cool abilities and ways to attack
+ motivating "evolution"-system to level up

- KI is sometimes very bad
- sidequests are bland
- too much brutality
:lol Are they worried that it's going to be banned after that bill gets passed?

ArjanN

pixel monkey said:
I see what you did there. I like how you've decided the precise amount of time the game was demoed for me.

As I said last week, it was at least an hour and probably closer to two. In that time, I was shown not only significant story progression, but also sandbox play.

Most people here don't even go by reviews from professional reviewers that have finished the game. Let alone impressions from a random user that watched the game being played an hour or two.

You're fine to not like the game though, but I think you need to realize that some people might.

It's not that I don't believe you, I think most people in this thread are waiting until there are a greater number of impressions/reviews.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
pixel monkey, I haven't played the game yet and I agree with some of the issues that have been worrying others but why do you feel you have to go on a crusade to make everyone lose interest in the game?

I mean, you've already positioned yourself very clearly in the other thread, with screenshots, statements and everything else. This thread is basically for the people who are still interested in the game one way or another and you're clearly not even a bit anymore. Prototype apparently doesn't have one single redeeming quality in your opinion, so why waste your time with it any longer?

I'm not trying to attack you, I'm just curious on why you don't "move on".

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
This whole embargo on the review has me a bit hesitate to even pick up this game. Usually when this happens something is wrong.

Fuu said:
pixel monkey, I haven't played the game yet and I agree with some of the issues that have been worrying others but why do you feel you have to go on a crusade to make everyone lose interest in the game?

I mean, you've already positioned yourself very clearly in the other thread, with screenshots, statements and everything else. This thread is basically for the people who are still interested in the game one way or another and you're clearly not even a bit anymore. Prototype apparently doesn't have one single redeeming quality in your opinion, so why waste your time with it any longer?

I'm not trying to attack you, I'm just curious on why you don't "move on".

I appreciate what you're saying, and particularly the way you said it. I'm really not on any kind of crusade against Prototype. I was very much looking forward to the game, I had it pre-ordered and was sorely disappointed that it didn't live up to my expectations.

I only shared my impressions as a warning to others. I'm not looking to get into any battles over it, and I'm certainly not going to engage in the prolonged defense of my impressions that I did last week.

I said my peace, and I'm on to other titles that I'm still very excited about...Ghostbusters in 7 days being the next!

Cheers, Fuu!

Top Bottom