• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Captain N

The storyline is the biggest draw for me with this game. I can't wait for Resident Evil 5 and to see what happens with the storyline and where they end up taking it.

Guled

amazing thread, this is day one for sure, hopefully all the haters stay out of this thread and don't ruin it like the other RE5 threads we had so far

thaOwner

[Nintex] said:
Wow, 26 pages, that has got to be a new record.

We Europeans got the short end of the stick with the CE. On the other side, I'll soon be blessed with CAPGOD goodness once again after the incredible SFIV.

Capcom :bow

Nah, 39 is the current record but this thread is just as awesome. I keep going back to the FP to check it out.

Wark

Captain N said:
The storyline is the biggest draw for me with this game. I can't wait for Resident Evil 5 and to see what happens with the storyline and where they end up taking it.

The story is exactly what I'm looking forward to also. I wanna see how the series is going to wrap up with Resident Evil 6 being a possible reboot and all.

mittelos

Wow, cvxfreak and Yama, nicely done. My most anticipated game this gen, March 13 still feels too far away. Looking forward to some co-op with GAF.

Linkzg said:
Ricardo Irving is totally Vince from Shamwow

Somewhat related-

meetthescoutcockydq4.jpg
vince_shamwow.jpg

Good work with the thread, cvx. You put a lot of work into it (though I imagine it'll be borderline excessive for some :p).

Also: I don't want t to rain on anyone's parade, but I'm doubting whether or not I should post some impressions here from the preview build I received recently. Let's just say I wasn't... enthralled by Resident Evil 5, by any stretch of the imagination.

Nemesis_

MicVlaD said:
Good work with the thread, cvx. You put a lot of work into it (though I imagine it'll be borderline excessive for some :p).

Also: I don't want t to rain on anyone's parade, but I'm doubting whether or not I should post some impressions here from the preview build I received recently. Let's just say I wasn't... enthralled by Resident Evil 5, by any stretch of the imagination.
Are you a fan of the series as a whole?

Shurs

Great thread! I'm very excited for this game. It will be my first Resident Evil game since Code Veronica on Dreamcast. This will also be my first online co-op experience.

AirBrian

Great thread, guys!

I love how this comes out on Friday the 13th. Actually, I love how this year has two Friday the 13ths in a row.

Davey Cakes

Lots of good information. It'll provide a thorough background for people who aren't fully aware of the story.

Nice job, guys. I'm looking forward to March 13.

LaneDS

ilanna said:
I have a feeling that Wesker is going to die in this one. Just a guess.

I think that's a pretty good guess. But he's "died" before, so who knows what that means in terms of future appearances.

kuYuri

Not to nitpick too much, but in the story synopsis for RE: Degeneration, it was the US Marines called in to stop the break-in at WilPharma and take down Curtis, not SWAT.

Those are definitely Marine uniforms.

Teknoman

Wow, so many great official topics in one month! Insane. Just hope the PS3 version doesnt retain that co-op greyed out screen bug.

demigod

Does anyone know if there will be English subtitles/voices in the JP one? Would I be able to play online with people who has the US version or is the online play region locked by the game? I would rather get the PS3 CE JP one for the pouch than that ugly girly man bag.

Piano

Banned
Awesome thread!
You should add the U.S. logos to the story sections as well, though. One of the logos is just in Japanese and I couldn't tell what game it was.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Can we move to gamertags/psn names to the online/match forum (which you have to be signed in to view)? I really don't feel like getting bugged by lurkers if I have my name up there.

USD

demigod said:
Does anyone know if there will be English subtitles/voices in the JP one? Would I be able to play online with people who has the US version or is the online play region locked by the game? I would rather get the PS3 CE JP one for the pouch than that ugly girly man bag.
I'm somewhat sure that all Resident Evil games are English voice only. The demo has no region lock, so I'm assuming the full game is the same.

Sectus

Omg, the controls sucks. Why aren't Capcom evolving the controls? Haven't they played any shooter the last 3 years????
Shooter controls has been the same since Halo 1, 3rd person shooters didn't add anything substantial besides a new camera angle. RE4 was released 4 years after Halo 1, and most people were okay the controls and loved the game. Besides, Capcom also released Lost Planet two years before RE5 using the same engine. They obviously have experience with those kinds of controls, but they still chose to use RE4's style of gameplay.

Resident Evil fans are ignorant. They obviously haven't played Gears of War, Dead Space or any other 3rd person shooter. If they played those games, they'd realize the controls in RE5 are dated and obsolete.
Dead Space or Gears does not have the same gameplay as RE5. Go play something else if you can't get used to the controls.

There's no way this game is gonna appeal to the casual gamer, controls are way too hard to get used to.
As if casual gamers are gonna have more trouble getting used to a one-stick control scheme than one which requires two sticks. It's the hardcore gamer which eats up games like Gears and CoD which is gonna have issues with the controls. And being hardcore gamers it should not be a big challenge to spend 5-10 minutes getting used to different controls. The controls are one of the reasons why the game has unique and fun gameplay compared to other shooters.

There you go! That's pretty much half of any thread regarding RE5 summed up. With that out of the way, no one has any reason to repeat similar arguments and counter-arguments whenever RE5 is released.

VaLiancY

Kotaku has a primer about Resident Evil 5, gives more background behind Sheva, talks about the weapons and some other gameplay mechanics. I skimmed through it and didn't see a lot of spoilers but reader beware.

Link

Sectus said:
Omg, the controls sucks. Why aren't Capcom evolving the controls? Haven't they played any shooter the last 3 years????
Shooter controls has been the same since Halo 1, 3rd person shooters didn't add anything substantial besides a new camera angle. RE4 was released 4 years after Halo 1, and most people were okay the controls and loved the game. Besides, Capcom also released Lost Planet two years before RE5 using the same engine. They obviously have experience with those kinds of controls, but they still chose to use RE4's style of gameplay.

Resident Evil fans are ignorant. They obviously haven't played Gears of War, Dead Space or any other 3rd person shooter. If they played those games, they'd realize the controls in RE5 are dated and obsolete.
Dead Space or Gears does not have the same gameplay as RE5. Go play something else if you can't get used to the controls.

There's no way this game is gonna appeal to the casual gamer, controls are way too hard to get used to.
As if casual gamers are gonna have more trouble getting used to a one-stick control scheme than one which requires two sticks. It's the hardcore gamer which eats up games like Gears and CoD which is gonna have issues with the controls. And being hardcore gamers it should not be a big challenge to spend 5-10 minutes getting used to different controls. The controls are one of the reasons why the game has unique and fun gameplay compared to other shooters.

There you go! That's pretty much half of any thread regarding RE5 summed up. With that out of the way, no one has any reason to repeat similar arguments and counter-arguments whenever RE5 is released.

Should be added to official post. :lol

demigod

USD said:
I'm somewhat sure that all Resident Evil games are English voice only. The demo has no region lock, so I'm assuming the full game is the same.

Oops, I meant menus. So the menus were in English and you were able to play co-op with others when you downloaded the JP while others downloaded from USA?

Carlisle

Freaking fantastic job guys. Looking forward to this hardcore. Probably getting the 360 version. I like how it controls with the DS3 better, but pixel counters have shown that 360 looks slightly better... however, Live's bigger population breaks the tie for me.

Ryn

I'm excited this game is coming out during my college's spring break.

What, I'll actually have time to play a video game?

Whoa.

USD

demigod said:
Oops, I meant menus. So the menus were in English and you were able to play co-op with others when you downloaded the JP while others downloaded from USA?
Speaking from my experience in the demo, Yes (The main menu is in English, even when Japanese language is selected in the Options. If the rest of the game is not in English, you can change the language in Options > Game Settings > the last option) and yes (I've been playing the US version, but I can play with JP players).

Amazing thread. Hyped me up so much. :D
Ryn said:
I'm excited this game is coming out during my college's spring break.

What, I'll actually have time to play a video game?

Whoa.
Same here!!!

Counting down the days.

Top Bottom