• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution Thread

Ranger X

Acid08 said:
CivIV does explain it a bit more. In Rev the Civilopedia is your friend. CivIV moves slower and gives you a bit more time to digest. The thing is CivIV has SO many more options that it quickly becomes more difficult to manage things.

I didn't really took time to read the Civilopedia. I guess it will become my friend yeah.

This game is really is super fun. Might just be the best "console-isation" of a game ever.

Aurelius

Kinan said:
Damn, this game only 42 Euro(30£) at play.com delivered, so I caved in, even though it takes a week normally to deliver it to me.
I was recommended www.blahdvd.com.
It's cheaper, and they ship faster.

Order Number xxxxxxxx Items
------------------------------------------------------------
Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution - PS3 - £29.92GBP
International Postage Charge - CHG - £1.00GBP

------------------------------------------------------------
Subtotals: £30.92GBP

TOTAL: £30.92GBP

Jtrizzy

besada said:
Playing the demo, I found Atlantis. Jackpot! It dumped a ton of skills on me (which was nice since I'd done a lopsided build to get steam power) just for bumping into it.

Also, it took me three games to realize I could debark the rangers from my ship to explore, or put other units in my ship. Duh.

Love the demo, definitely getting the game.

Did you have to build the boat that can go into deeper water to do this? I don't know if the location of Atlantis changes every time you start a new game or what. I skewed all of my efforts towards getting navigation the game after I noticed it (Atlantis), then couldn't find it.

This game is so much fun. It's nice to have a break from shooting people for once. I'm finding it much more fun building up tech/culture as opposed to taking cities by force. Any other strategies etc would be welcomed.

When you switch between the gold and the beaker when building shit, does that mean you are producing more science as opposed to gold?

Zzoram

My only concern at the moment is the random map generation. I'm hoping it's just because it's the demo, but it seems that the maps are almost always the same.

Zzoram said:
My only concern at the moment is the random map generation. I'm hoping it's just because it's the demo, but it seems that the maps are almost always the same.

The demo is a fixed map, which makes perfect sense for a demo-it would suck if someone new to Civ got a map with a terrible starting point and found the game too hard because of it.

Danj

Wish there was going to be a PC version of this, the only platform that it's on that I own is DS and the DS version looks kinda dull.

hitoshi

Danj said:
Wish there was going to be a PC version of this, the only platform that it's on that I own is DS and the DS version looks kinda dull.

Nope, from now on I think that there are going to be a parallel Civ universe with two paths: one for the traditional PC episodes and one for the further console iterations. Or i hope so.

Theoretical question: how can you capture a city with a defense rate of 26 if your strongest legion / catapult can only produce a damage of 15? I've successfully conquered a city but after moving to an other one (lvl. 6) i was not able to capture it, not even with a huge army.

Steroyd

Danj said:

Sid Meier's games are very good at porting their games to other consoles well, at least I've heard so when they ported Pirates to the PSP very well... PSP

Pre-ordered this bugger with MGS4. :D

For £30 on PS3 & Xbox 360 at play.com

alisdair

I can't work out how to use catapults at all. Every time I deploy one it's destroyed by the enemy. What am I doing wrong?

Brashnir

alisdair said:
I can't work out how to use catapults at all. Every time I deploy one it's destroyed by the enemy. What am I doing wrong?

Catapults have high attack but low defense. Keep it defended by a unit with a better defensive rating.

alisdair

How do I do that?

I'm pretty sure that I tried putting a legion army on the same tile, set to defense, and then attacked with the catapult. It didn't seem to do anything.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm gonna go out on a little bit of a limb here, but if you never played CivIV, and you like the Civ Rev demo, you should try Civ IV out.. I think a lot of people who like Rev (though not all..) would also like the PC games. I'm sure there's a Civ IV demo out there (?) and the requirements shouldn't be steep nowadays.

I so completely <3 Civ. In fact, there's a good chance I'll be playing this next Friday instead of MGS4.

kbear

alisdair said:
How do I do that?

I'm pretty sure that I tried putting a legion army on the same tile, set to defense, and then attacked with the catapult. It didn't seem to do anything.
Same question I have... how do you make two different units on the same tile attack together and not individually?

hitoshi said:
Theoretical question: how can you capture a city with a defense rate of 26 if your strongest legion / catapult can only produce a damage of 15? I've successfully conquered a city but after moving to an other one (lvl. 6) i was not able to capture it, not even with a huge army.
^ Also this
Athens had a defense of ~30 and none of my units, even the armies, approached anywhere near that. Do you just wait till later in the game to take them down or do you just keep going in wave after wave until you slowly decrease their numbers?

edit, I just realized that if you wait till later in the game, of course their tech and forces will have improved as well... so how exactly do you take a city like that down? my catapult actually did take down a couple of their guys... just the one catapult, so maybe an army of catapults followed by legions to clean up the rest.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
kbear said:
edit, I just realized that if you wait till later in the game, of course their tech and forces will have improved as well..

Not necessarily. You could try and steal a march on them technologically, and crush their defences with more advanced units.

Of course, it can be tricky balancing research and large-scale militarisation.

kbear

gofreak said:
Not necessarily. You could try and steal a march on them technologically, and crush their defences with more advanced units.

Of course, it can be tricky balancing research and large-scale militarisation.
I also sent a Spy into Athens and chose the "disrupt defenses" option. Apparently didn't do much.. I wonder if that unit is worth it.

Iksenpets

Banned
kbear said:
Athens had a defense of ~30 and none of my units, even the armies, approached anywhere near that. Do you just wait till later in the game to take them down or do you just keep going in wave after wave until you slowly decrease their numbers?

edit, I just realized that if you wait till later in the game, of course their tech and forces will have improved as well... so how exactly do you take a city like that down? my catapult actually did take down a couple of their guys... just the one catapult, so maybe an army of catapults followed by legions to clean up the rest.

Use your armies and make sure to use the B button to retreat before you die. With enough waves you should be able to take down the defenses and only damage some of your units rather than kill them off. Also, build galleons and dock them next to the city you're attacking to get the naval support bonus on your attack. I had the same problem with Athens, but with a catapult army and a galleon fleet providing support, I attacked and retreated once they killed two of the three catapults, but at that point they were damaged enough that my legion army could finish the job.

kbear

Iksenpets said:
Use your armies and make sure to use the B button to retreat before you die. With enough waves you should be able to take down the defenses and only damage some of your units rather than kill them off. Also, build galleons and dock them next to the city you're attacking to get the naval support bonus on your attack. I had the same problem with Athens, but with a catapult army and a galleon fleet providing support, I attacked and retreated once they killed two of the three catapults, but at that point they were damaged enough that my legion army could finish the job.
didn't even know you could retreat! thanks

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
What's the furthest anyone's got, technologically, in the demo?

I've got as far as industrialisation so far..just trying to see how far you can get within the turn limit. Any tips?

ntb825 said:
Is there any known reason for the delay?
No.

EDIT: My favorite features of Civ Rev so far have to be retreat, and form an army. Of course, this is going by the demo. I am sure I will appreciate more new things come the full game.

pringles

The last Civ game I really got into was Civ2, so I've been a bit out of the loop with this series. I absolutely loved the demo though, and I'm really tempted to get the full game. When the demo ended I felt like I was just getting started.
Civ4 looks a bit too advanced for my tastes, but Revolutions feels just right judging by the demo.

The DS version looks pretty cool too..

Yeah, I've only played Civ 3 before and I much prefer this. All the stuff I like is there and there will be much less of the getting bogged down in tedious micromanagement in the middle to late stages. Probably the best demo I played on Live and it's convinced me I should buy it.

One thing I am disappointed by is that you apparently can't save online games, and have to finish them in one session. 3 hours is a long time to commit to an online game and I don't see why they couldn't have included this feature.

Kweh

besiktas1 said:
Hearing all the positive review I am quite excited, never played a Civ game before want to try and get into it, waitin for the Gold thing to elapse so Silver members can download it.

Cheapest I found it is 28pound but never shopped from them before
http://www.shopto.net/page.php?page=dettagli&codart=XB2SI02

They will get the game to you earlier (generally day before the official release date), only problem is they don't sell actual UK games, they have "NOT FOR SALE IN THE UK" on the back, so if that doesn't bother you, go for it - I have used them plenty of times :)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Do the Aztecs get a free warrior starting off?

Do they get a special ability to heal units, from even say 1 out of 3 warriors to 3 out of 3, in the space of one turn?

Cos I've noticed some strange behaviour, that momentarily had me wondering if the AI was cheating..

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Wow, I didn't even think of that...remote play in this game would be AMAZING!

Is there an official blog/forum for this game to ask for the feature?

gofreak said:
Do the Aztecs get a free warrior starting off?

Do they get a special ability to heal units, from even say 1 out of 3 warriors to 3 out of 3, in the space of one turn?

Cos I've noticed some strange behaviour, that momentarily had me wondering if the AI was cheating..
Aztec units heal automatically after winning a battle.

Hootie

This looks pretty interesting, I'll check out the demo on XBL tonight before the Celtics game. Is there a dominating opinion on how the demo is? Good or bad?

Parks

Banned
I played the demo last night and LOVED it. I went ahead and picked up the CIV4 pack on Steam to pass the time until release.

Hootie said:
This looks pretty interesting, I'll check out the demo on XBL tonight before the Celtics game. Is there a dominating opinion on how the demo is? Good or bad?
The demo is good and this game has the potential to be the best console RTS ever.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
MalevolentPanda said:
Aztec units heal automatically after winning a battle.

Thanks, that explains that..

Though still wondering how an Aztec warrior managed to make it all the way down to my city (practically) in the space of two turns.. I'm guessing they get a warrior starting out? There's no way they'd be able to build a warrior and send it that far otherwise.

The demo was pretty nice...love the actiony battles. However, I'm not buying it, but I do hope for a mod for Civ IV that emulates it. I wonder if Firaxis has any plans to bring it to PC as an optional expansion.

Hootie

oo Kosma oo said:
I've just read the DS version comes out 1 day before I leave on my backpacking trip. WIN WIN WIN.

Ok, two things:

1. Are you sure it will be in stores that day or is just the shipping date?

2. You're bringing a DS on a backpacking trip? wat

Acid08

Banned
Shit I just started out the demo again and it put me in a horrible position. Right at the bottom of a peninsula with the Aztecs right above me. I only founded Rome until they expanded their borders and attacked me. I have a few questions though: How can I expand my borders and how can I see how much production and food I have? Also how do I get more workers?

Kosma

Banned
Hootie said:
Ok, two things:

1. Are you sure it will be in stores that day or is just the shipping date?

2. You're bringing a DS on a backpacking trip? wat

Well those 30 hour train rides / bus rides / waiting on stations will get more interesting now :)

And if its not on time Ill pick it up in Hong Kong.

cresto

I actually really enjoyed the demo on XBL. I had one question I was hoping someone could answer; is there any way to send multiple units to attack a civ at once? In the demo i went after Zimbabwe and got destroyed! I even sent in my most advanced unit and all that happened was the freaking city guards had like 7+ more hit points than all of my units and I just wasted them all.

I posted this in the demo thread but since this is the official thread I will post here too.

I really enjoyed the demo!

Something I was surprised it didn't have was keyboard support. The PS3 easily supports mouse/keyboard so not even allowing me to type the name of my city with the keyboard was dissapointing.

I hope the PS3 version supports voice chat in online multiplayer. I didn't buy Capcom's Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix until they patched in voice chat. I won't buy Hot Shots Golf PS3 at full price until they patch in voice chat either.

Other than some small issues like that I really enjoyed the demo and look forward to eventually owning it.

Omikaru

Kweh said:
They will get the game to you earlier (generally day before the official release date), only problem is they don't sell actual UK games, they have "NOT FOR SALE IN THE UK" on the back, so if that doesn't bother you, go for it - I have used them plenty of times :)
This is true for most games, but if it has a BBFC rating in the UK, they will ship you a UK edition (as they're required to by law).

I find them pretty good, and I run most of my pre-orders through them these days. And I really enjoyed the demo, so I went and pre-ordered a copy. I probably won't play this until after I'm done with MGS4... but I might as well have something to do after I'm done with that and this'll probably be a nice change of pace for me.

dejay

Banned
Speaking of keyboards, the on screen keyboard is quite nice (360 version). It's like the standard 360 keyboard done better.

Anyone know if that mini-controller keyboard thingy for the 360 works?

Dax01 said:
The demo is good and this game has the potential to be the best console RTS ever.

I'm not usually grammar nazi or anything like that but people keep calling this an RTS when it is, in fact, a TBS. This is why, I suspect, it works so well on a console.

Iksenpets

Banned
Acid08 said:
Shit I just started out the demo again and it put me in a horrible position. Right at the bottom of a peninsula with the Aztecs right above me. I only founded Rome until they expanded their borders and attacked me. I have a few questions though: How can I expand my borders and how can I see how much production and food I have? Also how do I get more workers?

Expanding your culture expands your borders. Build wonders or building that give culture bonuses to expand borders. And I don't think you can specifically set values for food and production, but in the city screen you can go to the manage workers option at the bottom and tell them to focus on food, focus on production, or do it balanced.

Top Bottom