• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution Thread

alske said:
I hope that the full version has the following:

• A camera that you can zoom out permanently
  • A minimap
  • less screen tearing
  • The ability to turn off battle animations

This.

And a smooth frame rate.

Jtrizzy

Game Informer said:
Civ Revolution - 9, 9.25 - "Hands down, best strategy title to appear on consoles to date."

IIRC, when you retreat the opposing force gains an experience bonus, but not a combat bonus.

dfyb said:
can you play an entire multiplayer match to the finish? i was very annoyed when the singleplayer ended right before i was about to launch an attack on zimbabwe
...?

It's a demo. Why buy the game if it lets you finish an entire multiplayer match?

Talamius

Has anyone managed to beat the Greeks? I attacked their city and it was def 27 O_O. Ended up having to resort to diplomacy (even after my spy demolished their courthouse :lol )

I had just rolled Zimbabwe when the demo ran out, I was in 1st overall. I can say this game went from zero to top of my hype list, it's amazing.

MMaRsu

Talamius said:
Has anyone managed to beat the Greeks? I attacked their city and it was def 27 O_O. Ended up having to resort to diplomacy (even after my spy demolished their courthouse :lol )

I had just rolled Zimbabwe when the demo ran out, I was in 1st overall. I can say this game went from zero to top of my hype list, it's amazing.

I did, fucked em up with my Ninja horse army

HAHA NINJA HORSE ARMY FTW BITCH

Talamius said:

Did you have your spy demolish their fortifications? It will lower their defenses quite a bit, making attacks far easier.

Gbeav

Banned
AugustDivision said:
Wow, I don't want to knock you, I just can't believe there are still people that are new to the Civ franchise.

Each time you produce a settler unit you lose a citizen of the city it was produced in. Each citzen inside your town helps do more work, so more gold and production occur when you have a higher population.

Well don't I feel stupid now, I was testing a theory that I keep pumping science in my main town and settlers and seeing how far I can get on the tech tree. I guess I was running out some civilians at the same time. I guess I won't produce settlers anymore and make sure I have food going well.

My other theory of making pure gold towns and importing settlers must also be off whack.

Somebody needs to make a quick FAQ on this game for dummies like me. And people don't laugh, me and a buddy must have at least 20 hours of gameplay in this demo. And now I need a ship to go find atlantis, this is going to be a very long month to wait.

Gbeav said:
Well don't I feel stupid now, I was testing a theory that I keep pumping science in my main town and settlers and seeing how far I can get on the tech tree. I guess I was running out some civilians at the same time. I guess I won't produce settlers anymore and make sure I have food going well.

My other theory of making pure gold towns and importing settlers must also be off whack.

Somebody needs to make a quick FAQ on this game for dummies like me. And people don't laugh, me and a buddy must have at least 20 hours of gameplay in this demo. And now I need a ship to go find atlantis, this is going to be a very long month to wait.
I'll gladly put this "FAQ" in the OP if anyone is interested.

Zzoram

Dax01 said:
I'll gladly put this "FAQ" in the OP if anyone is interested.

Civilization Revolution Tips

The border around your cities consists of tiles being worked by your cities. As your city population grows, they work more of the surrounding tiles, filling in your border. Tiles that are unworked may be traversed by other players, and you can manipulate worked tiles to form a tight seal to wall off part of the land for future filling in with cities.

Each city can produce either Gold OR Science from their trade tiles (red circles). If you set all your cities to produce Gold, your research will be paused.

City population grows with food. Each population allows your city to work an extra tile immediately surrounding the city. Only after a Courthouse is built can your citizens work tiles further from your city. A shortage of food can prevent your city population from growing enough to work all the good tiles within it's border, so place cities carefully.

Moving between cities connected by roads count as only 1 step. Take advantage of this to quickly transport troops to your front lines or for defense. Build a road to connect recently captured cities to your empire so you can quickly reinforce it and press on your invasion.

Combining 3 units of the same type can form an Army. Any individual upgrades the units had before forming an Army are kept, so if you combine 3 Legions with different upgrades, the Army will have all 3 upgrades when it is formed.

Retreating from combat gives the defending unit an upgrade, so only do it to save valuable Armies or you may give the enemy too many upgrades.

Catapults only have 1 defense, so they need to be defended at all times. To defend a unit, merely place a defending unit in the same tile. When a "stack" of units is attacked, the unit with the highest defense against the attacker is automatically selected to defend. This means that a Catapult should never be chosen to defend if you have other military units on the same tile.

When an opponent has a unit on a tile within your city's border, your citizens can no longer work that tile. Standing on strategic resources during an invasion is a way to further cripple defending cities by slowing their production of reinforcements.

Forests give a defensive bonus to your units, while hills give both defensive and offensive bonuses. When sieging enemy cities, you should stand on adjacent hills or forests to defend better against counter-attacks, and in the case of the hill, add attack power to improve your odds of breaking their defense.

Consider sending in a Spy before you attack an enemy city to sabotage the defensive bonus of garrisoned troops in a city, or to destroy Walls that may have been built.

Spies can be seen by other Spies. You can place Spies in your cities that are vulnerable to attack to prevent enemy Spies from infiltrating to destroy your defenses.

Caravans can walk into enemy territory without triggering war. As of this build, you can use Caravans to prevent your opponent from working certain tiles by standing on them. This is something that may eventually be addressed, but for now it can be abused.

Ideally you should have a city with high production (many hills, enough food to support population) that constantly outputs military units, even if you are not planning to win by Domination. You do not want to fall too far behind in unit count or you will be vulnerable to attack just before you reach your victory conditions.

Talk to AI players and ask them about world events. Sometimes they give you tips like telling you how many units are garrisoned in a rival's capital city. They are more likely to do that if they despise that civilization, and want someone to attack them.

Jtrizzy

Hey, don't feel bad. I've put close to ten hours in with the demo. Thanks for the tips^^^. I've never bought a strategy guide before, but I feel like I'll need one for this game. Even after reading through the limited Civlopedia included with the demo, I still feel like I have a ton to learn before this comes out.

Loved the demo. Got feudalism and built some knights. They became ninja knights and proceeded to demolish all the other capitals. Still can't find atlantis though. I had built a galleon to search the seas but ran out of time. I have to say the demo has done it's job. Long enough to get me hooked but enough of a tease to leave me wanting more :lol

I'm considering buying this before MGS4 and getting that later on!

colinp

Banned
1) That boxart is pretty horrible.

2) I *love* meaty Civ manuals... I really really hope we get a meaty manual with this one! (I'm not holding my breath). Yurop GAF please verify the size of the manual when you pick the game up!

3) Hurry up and get here July 8th!

Jtrizzy

I only noticed it during the cut scenes on my PS3. It was at the top of the screen, similar to where you would see it in Uncharted. Even if it is in the final version, I seriously doubt it will matter since it wasn't happening during game play.

Jtrizzy said:
I only noticed it during the cut scenes on my PS3. It was at the top of the screen, similar to where you would see it in Uncharted. Even if it is in the final version, I seriously doubt it will matter since it wasn't happening during game play.

Cool!

Its in stock now in the UK on play.com on both platforms for £29.99 (Voucher experience08 to get 5% off)

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/5310225/-/Product.html?searchstring=Civilization+Revolution&searchsource=0

Thanks Zzoram for creating this tips list. One small correction though:

Zzoram said:
Retreating from combat gives the defending unit experience, so only do it to save valuable Armies or you may give the enemy too many upgrades.

For clarity, the defending unit gets an upgrade, not just experience. If you retreat against a normal unit, it will immediately become a veteran. If you retreat against a veteran unit, it will become elite (and be able to choose an upgrade next turn). If you retreat against an elite unit, it will get another ability. I believe the maximum number of abilities a unit can have is 8 or 9.

Banned
mr_bishiuk said:
Its in stock now in the UK on play.com on both platforms for £29.99 (Voucher experience08 to get 5% off)

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/5310225/-/Product.html?searchstring=Civilization+Revolution&searchsource=0
If it's in stock, does that mean they'll ship it now, or will they wait until Friday?

Also, just to check as I didn't get a chance to explore, is this Atlantis?
2mfdlsn.jpg

I was so close to ending the demo after 10 minutes but I stuck with it and ended up loving it. :lol

I have a feeling this game is gonna bomb hard, so I'm waiting for the inevitable price drop.

zam

I've played Civ 1, 2 and 3, and I was expecting a dumbed down console version but apart from the art style the demo had pretty much everything I was expecting from a Civ game, and was loads of fun, just wished I could finish my game, demo feels way to short :(

Definitely getting this, I was pretty addicted to Civ 3, spent a whole summer playing 5-6h games.

Kinan

andrewfee said:
If it's in stock, does that mean they'll ship it now, or will they wait until Friday?
Well, my order is not shipped yet. If it will be the same as with gta4, they will ship it day before, on 12th.

colinp

Banned
Jtrizzy said:
Isn't the Civlopedia essentially the manual?

Ehh not really. The civlopedia is just an encyclopedia of all the different units, upgrades and everything, while the Civ manual go into detail on the actual game mechanics.

alisdair

andrewfee said:
Also, just to check as I didn't get a chance to explore, is this Atlantis?
Nope, that's the Lost Cities of Gold or somesuch. Atlantis is a single tile in the middle of the sea somewhere.

colinp said:
1) That boxart is pretty horrible.
It's alright, nothing too special.

Anyway, I am glad Firaxis didn't include any achievements for multiplayer on the 360 version. Judging from the demo, MP games are going to take a LONG time. Civ Rev=sleeper hit of 2008 confirmed.

Zyzyxxz

Dax01 said:
It's alright, nothing too special.

Anyway, I am glad Firaxis didn't include any achievements for multiplayer on the 360 version. Judging from the demo, MP games are going to take a LONG time. Civ Rev=sleeper hit of 2008 confirmed.

probably

I tried out the demo on the ps3 the other night. The game was great fun and I was really bummed when my demo ended and I realized it wasn't already out. =/

Aaron

I honestly can't believe we've got to wait until July for the game. I wish the demo had been held back a week before release so I wouldn't know what I was missing.

TaeOH

Something I just discovered...

Any upgrade a single unit has when an Army is formed, carries into the Army intact. So you can build some pretty powerful Armies. I discovered this when my first Great Person was a Great Leader, I added him to Rome's population before my first Legion was built, he makes all units Veterans upon build. I also had a Barracks that creates Veterans, so combined each Legion was getting a full upgrade out of the gate. I gave my first 3 Legions, Infiltration, March and Blitz respectively. When I formed the Army, it retained all 3 abilities in full. Pretty cool.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Gameplay in the UK just charged my card - $69.03 total with shipping to the US. So it should be going out soon.

I have no problem paying the extra $9 to get this thing a month early.

Cheech

FlyinJ said:
Gameplay in the UK just charged my card - $69.03 total with shipping to the US. So it should be going out soon.

I have no problem paying the extra $9 to get this thing a month early.

Are both versions region free, or just PS3?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

eve241

It was an inevitable change, but the switch to 3D actually made a difference for me. I can't really explain it other than saying CivIV didn't click like CivIII did (my only two played Civ games btw).

I have stopped playing the demo until I get the real game. It will make that first time I pop it in to my 360 and select the Roman Civilization to start my first game all that more enjoyable.:D :D

Wollan

FlyinJ said:
Oh um. I hope the 360 version is too, because that's the one I ordered.
Well, I just did some poking around. I assumed that both were region free, but it appears that the PS3 version is not, according to this:

http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/4-/5310236/Sid-Meier-Civilization-Revolution/Product.html

The 360 version doesn't have a "technical details" section, so it may be region locked as well. Ugh!

The PS3 version is 99.999% likely of being region free (it would be the first region locked ps3 title if this wasn't the case), I wouldn't trust the tech info there.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Wollan said:
The PS3 version is 99.999% likely of being region free (it would be the first region locked ps3 title if this wasn't the case), I wouldn't trust the tech info there.

Yeah, I was pretty sure that there hasn't been any region locking on PS3 games.

Well, that's good to know... hopefully the 360 one isn't either. I've imported the latest Flatout and another game that escapes my memory, both for the 360, from the UK before and haven't had a problem.

I have heard that PAL GTA4 will not work on NTSC 360s, though.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just read on the 2k forums that Firaxis is changing the demo's map once a week. How cool is that?

FlyinJ said:
I just read on the 2k forums that Firaxis is changing the demo's map once a week. How cool is that?

Not cool at all, because it tempts me to play the demo that I swore off of playing. It's bad enough the full game is going to consume all my free time, they don't have to do it with the demo too :(

syllogism

For those wondering, there's only one map size

Q: Will be there different map sizes?
A: No, there is a single map size that is randomly generated to provide a unique experience every time you play.

Q: How many players can play on a map?
A: Games will always have five players and can be a combination of AI or up to four human players.

Just got my hands on a copy here in the Netherlands. Time to wage war. Really gonna enjoy this game. Sorry for the poor quality images.

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Top Bottom