• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The OFFICIAL Spider-Man® 2 THREAD. REVIEWS. ALL SPIDEY-RELATED EVENTS. EVERYTHING.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seth C

The parts about Peter were some of my favorites, and probably the favorites of many others. You're in the minority here, which tells me the director probably made a good choice. It just wasn't the one that satisfied YOU.

The only problem I had with this movie's pacing is Doc Oc basically dissappears for a LONG while.

What gets me is that you are bitching about how much they spent showing why he'd quit when it certainly felt like they droned on a hell of alot more explaining why he'd come back. During the first half of the movie they are developing four different characters, Parker, MJ, Harry, & Oc. After he quits it's basically nothing but Parker and a bit of MJ.

Again, I'm not arguing that most people didn't like it. They obviously did. I'm saying that I didn't like it and my perspective is the only one from which I prefer to debate a movie. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right. This is a tad subjective, so we'll never really know for sure, will we?

I will say that playing the "everyone ELSE liked it" card is pretty weak.

Son of Godzilla, my beef is really with the whole of the pacing and repetitive scenes throughout, wherever they may be. I guess I noticed it more towards the beginning, but my memory's getting a bit stodgy. I'm tired of arguing though, and I'd have to see it again before I could recall exactly where this repetition was most annoying.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
The part where there was a fire drill and everyone had to leave the theatre and go outside was my favourite.

Otherwise the movie rocked, Doctor Octopus was pretty cool. Fights looked great.

Phoenix

The Fronde said:
Again, I'm not arguing that most people didn't like it. They obviously did. I'm saying that I didn't like it and my perspective is the only one from which I prefer to debate a movie. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right. This is a tad subjective, so we'll never really know for sure, will we?

And its not true because sprinkled around here are people who didn't think it was awesome, but that it was a good movie. That's why I asked earlier if there could possible be some demographics of the trend because there are a small number of people who hated it, a reasonable number who thought it was good but not great (I fall in this category), and a large number who would have rather watched this movie than lose their virginity :)

border

Obviously, the fact that the film has appealed to a certain percentage of an internet videogame message board means that the director made the right decision! ;)

I would be curious to know how the film is scoring in those theatre exit polls....what's it called..? CinemaScore?

Seth C

border said:
Obviously, the fact that the film has appealed to a certain percentage of an internet videogame message board means that the director made the right decision! ;)

I would be curious to know how the film is scoring in those theatre exit polls....what's it called..? CinemaScore?

You'll be able to figure it out on your own once we get bx office totals through next weekend.

Yeah, I wish we could post polls in addition to the text of the topic, that would be perfect for things like this. Maybe there are people who didn't love it but didn't want to get shouted down so they didn't post.

We'll call it the "95% of critics listed on Rotten Tomatoes liked it" card :)

AniHawk

Matlock said:
Just another small note, a gripe if you will.

I hated that Ock died, I really don't want this to become a Batmaneque franchise where every film becomes an exercise in "HEY, LET'S SHOW A VILLAIN GET KILLED." Meh.

What I really would have liked is to see him in Rikers, robot arms attached to the walls. :D

Catwoman, The Riddler, Mr. Freeze, an Poison Ivy never died

Phoenix

Seth C said:
You'll be able to figure it out on your own once we get bx office totals through next weekend.

Not really. Box office totals mean that you went to see it - it doesn't reflect your opinion of it. I've gone to see plenty of movies that I thought sucked ass like The Day After Tomorrow and my paying for a ticket shouldn't count as advocating that I liked the movie.

AniHawk

Anyway, I saw it and didn't really enjoy it, but that wasn't the fault of the film. It was a great movie, I just hate 3 things about my "experience:"

1. I've never read the comics, so I don't know a ton of what's going on (was a fan of the first and second animated shows)
2. The advertising, while intriguing at first, just went nuts. I don't know who they got to do the marketing, but they should all have been fired. Because of the ads,
I'd seen Spidey telling people to hold on without the mask, him being carried by the people without a mask, him telling Mary-Jane that he wouldn't want his enemies knowing about her and him, "Go get 'em, Tiger," and the reaction of Harry backing away and dropping the knife.
I mean FUCK, the whole "I believe there's a hero in all of us," "let's see who's behind the mask" ads were really enough to get me interested.
I could have figured out the ENTIRE movie if they showed pictures of Harry in the Goblin's lair at the end.
3. The family next to me couldn't stop speaking Spanish for 2.25 hours. Fucking assholes.

I'll have to watch it again for full enjoyment, but things I didn't like in the movie itself were:

Spider-Man being unmasked on the train. It was kinda pre-overkill
Kirsten Dunst

Everything else was acted out well, developed well, and told well.

And could someone explain to me what the Lizard is?

Seth C

Phoenix said:
Not really. Box office totals mean that you went to see it - it doesn't reflect your opinion of it. I've gone to see plenty of movies that I thought sucked ass like The Day After Tomorrow and my paying for a ticket shouldn't count as advocating that I liked the movie.

Have you gone to them twice? Box office totals after the second weekend show some indication of what people thought of a movie. To really keep up they need people going back to see it a second, third, or fourth time.

Curt Connors was a gifted surgeon who went into a war to help his country.He performed "meatball" surgery on wounded GIs, but his arm was injured in a blast and had to be taken off. He eventually read into reptilian biology and from the DNA of a reptile mixed into a new serum, Connors consumed it and his arm grew back. Though it had one side effect: Connors became a giant mutant lizard!

Spiderman learned about this and travelled to Florida, helping the doctor by using Conner's notes to invent a serum to cure him. It was successful for only a while then a repeating pattern occured:Stress or a chemical reaction turned Connors into The Lizard and Spiderman would fight him, while forming some kind of temporary cure to revert the transformation.

Over time, it became apparent that a second personality had formed with The Lizard, one with the never ending bad-guy goal, to take over the world. Eventually his resorts to use an army of lizards stopped and he began working alone. When his wife and son seperated from him (due to the problems The Lizard caused), Connors tried to straighten up, though he still had the problems. In despair, The Lizard took control, though it had a weak mental strength, causing the voodoo from Calpsyo to effect him for her own purposes. After a series of bloody battles, The Lizard and Calpsyo was defeated by Spiderman, causing the weak Lizard to gain his thoughts back, though it was so weak, the supressed Connors persona carried out a plan and cured himself... but only temporarily.

Recently, a huge animalistic Lizard appeared, showing up in many issues (even in Malibu Comics' Prime #Infinity), causing everyone to believe The Lizard was now permanent, though when this Lizard went after Connors, he drank that old serum to become the true Lizard once again, to save his son. The real Lizard returned and killed the imposter, though it also brought The Lizard persona back into action. Later, it was discovered that this new Lizard was an accident from Conner's latest attempt to cure himself.

The Lizard's latest scheme to take over the world had him affecting the water supply to turn everyone into his mindless slaves, though after Conner's son, Billy, almost became one of these zombies, Spiderman lashed out and attacked The Lizard. After Martha got her share of words in, The Lizard became Connors once again, now begging for help for a cure. Only time will tell if he truly becomes rid of his curse...

THANKS SPIDERFAN!!

Mugen

Banned
Yep, too much overhyping only sets up the viewers for disappointment and reading through most of the post above, while everyone still thinks the movie is still very good, it simply just didn't lived up to the hype. I blame all the bad rep that the movie got, to this thread AND to the creator of this thread. Too much overhyping = most people will be disappointed.

Though FYI I still liked it very much and thought that it did live up to the hype.

Mugen

Banned
two records shattered...

'Spider-Man 2' Grosses Opening Record $40.5 Million

1 hour, 20 minutes ago Add Entertainment - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Steve Gorman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Comic book adventure "Spider-Man 2" snared a record $40.5 million in its box-office web on Wednesday, besting its predecessor to claim the biggest opening day ever in movie history, Sony Pictures Entertainment said on Thursday.

Reuters
Slideshow: Spider-Man 2

Missed Tech Tuesday?
Choose the best handheld gadgets and give your tired thumbs a break. Plus, a few functional fashion tips.

The first-day U.S.-Canadian haul for "Spider-Man 2," starring Tobey Maguire as Marvel comics' web-slinging crime fighter, devoured the previous opening-day record of $39.4 million set by the original "Spider-Man" movie in May of 2002 -- all the more impressive since the first film debuted on a Friday.

Fueled by glowing reviews and a built-in fan base generated from the first "Spider-Man" film, the heavily promoted sequel also shattered the previous record Wednesday opening, set by "The Lord of Rings: The Return of the King" which bowed with $34.5 million in December.

One of the most widely anticipated films of Hollywood's busy summer season, "Spider-Man 2" is expected to be the Sony Corp (news - web sites). studio's biggest picture of the year, and analysts said it was on track to set further records.

"It doesn't get any better than this, and I've been here for 26 years," said Rory Bruer, Sony Pictures' president of distribution.

Fans, some donned in red-and-blue Spidey suits, lined up at some of the 4,152 theaters showing "Spider-Man 2" in the United States and Canada. That tally was just 11 shy of the record 4,163 for the "Shrek 2" debut in May, according to box office tracker Exhibitor Relations Co. Inc.

While "Spider-Man 2" now stands as the opening-day champion, the box-office record for any single day belongs to computer-animated "Shrek 2," which grossed $44.8 million on Saturday, May 22, Exhibitor Relations said.

Exhibitor Relations president Paul Dergarabedian said that "Spider-Man 2" could very well capture that record and more.

"The potential is there for a $50 million-plus day" this coming Saturday, a threshold no film has yet crossed in a single day, he said.

Heading into the long July 4 holiday weekend, "Spider-Man 2" is even more likely to surpass the $146.9 million six-day box-office record set by "Matrix Reloaded" last May, he said.

The original "Spider-Man" movie swung into movie record books with a three-day opening of $114 million, becoming the first film to break the nine-figure mark in its debut weekend. It went on to gross more than $400 million domestically and nearly $822 million worldwide. A third "Spider-Man" film is slated for release in May of 2007.

The first sequel reunites Maguire in the title role with Sam Raimi behind the camera as director and co-star Kirsten Dunst (news) playing the superhero's love interest, Mary Jane Watson. Alfred Molina co-stars as the multi-tentacled villain, Dr. Otto Octavius, aka Doc Ock

KingGondo

Banned
Pretty good movie, if a little tough to get into--

Oh, wait... maybe that was the set of 1-year-old twins SCREAMING for the first twenty minutes of the movie! It was nonstop, I swear to god.

AniHawk

KingGondo said:
Pretty good movie, if a little tough to get into--

Oh, wait... maybe that was the set of 1-year-old twins SCREAMING for the first twenty minutes of the movie! It was nonstop, I swear to god.

There should be a rule: No babies at the theater. If you show up with a baby: no ticket. When you become parents, you lose certain priveleges, like going out to see a movie. Either hire a babysitter, or take responsibility and be a PARENT at HOME.

They should also turn off your cell phone for you when you enter the theater. You know, JUST IN CASE IT GOES OFF.

siege

Banned
I like it when parents come in 10-15 minutes late into a movie with 3 or 4 kids. They play out in the aisle and shit the entire movie while the parents talks amongst themselves. Wtf do they even come to the theater?

Matlock

Banned
AniHawk said:
Catwoman, The Riddler, Mr. Freeze, an Poison Ivy never died

Ah, but Catwoman died eight times. Going back a bit: Joker fell off the cathedral roof, Penguin bit it, then was taken out in a creepy penguin funeral, Two-Face got a spike through the face to try to save his coin, Riddler got his brain fried, Mr. Freeze, Bane and Poison Ivy were the only ones to avoid death/brain death in the entire Batman franchise. Although Batman and Robin is braindead anyway, so that counts against them.

AniHawk

Matlock said:
Ah, but Catwoman died eight times. Going back a bit: Joker fell off the cathedral roof, Penguin bit it, then was taken out in a creepy penguin funeral, Two-Face got a spike through the face to try to save his coin, Riddler got his brain fried, Mr. Freeze, Bane and Poison Ivy were the only ones to avoid death/brain death in the entire Batman franchise. Although Batman and Robin is braindead anyway, so that counts against them.

I forgot about Bane.

Actually I forgot a lot about Batman & Robin, and for good reason.

evil ways

AniHawk said:
They should also turn off your cell phone for you when you enter the theater. You know, JUST IN CASE IT GOES OFF.

I swear, when I went to see Spidey 2 on Wednesday, like 8 different ringtones went off during the course of the movie. And you would think that the cell's owners will quickly answer the phones or turn them off but no, they waited until the whole freaking tune played out. It was annoying as hell.

AniHawk

evil ways said:
I swear, when I went to see Spidey 2 on Wednesday, like 8 different ringtones went off during the course of the movie. And you would think that the cell's owners will quickly answer the phones or turn them off but no, they waited until the whole freaking tune played out. It was annoying as hell.

Same here. In fact, I heard a whole variety of noises today:

About 5 different ringtones
A baby crying
A baby SCREAMING
Children YELLING
A spanish-speaking, 10 member family who paid $7 each to sit down and talk to each other for 2 hours and 15 minutes.

nomoment

Well, I ducked out of Canada Day celebrations early, and finally saw the flick.

All I can say is, BEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE EVER, hands down. Someone give Sam Raimi a noble prize, THIS is how ALL comic book movies should be done.

Hero

I pity those who don't go to private employee showings. :-D

Saw Spidey twice in a theater with no more than 30 people each, and paid zero times.

Phoenix

Seth C said:
Have you gone to them twice? Box office totals after the second weekend show some indication of what people thought of a movie. To really keep up they need people going back to see it a second, third, or fourth time.

You realize that what you're saying doesn't logically follow. I myself have already seen Spiderman twice.

Seth C

Phoenix said:
You realize that what you're saying doesn't logically follow. I myself have already seen Spiderman twice.

Sure it does. You wouldn't go to a bad movie twice, right?

Willco

Hollywood Square
Seth C said:
Yeah. Some freaks out there really loved them some Titanic.

I will probably see Spider-Man 2 at least two more times. And at least one more time this weekend. It needs our money so Sony can buy out Raimi for Spider-Man 4, people!

Seth C

Willco said:
I will probably see Spider-Man 2 at least two more times. And at least one more time this weekend. It needs our money so Sony can buy out Raimi for Spider-Man 4, people!

Do you think any single person will see Spider-Man 2 over 200 times? It happened with Titanic, and people were proud they did it.

I'll definitely see Spider-Man 2 again, but I top out at 3 times for any movie.

effzee

Teh Hamburglar said:
I liked it.

Kirstin Dunst did look wasted the entire movie.

yeah i mean its not like i think she is amazing looking as is but she looked bad thru out the whole movie.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Seth C said:
Do you think any single person will see Spider-Man 2 over 200 times? It happened with Titanic, and people were proud they did it.

As much as I'd love to do that just to get on Dateline, there's a few problems with that. I definitely could not afford that many showings and also, I doubt Spider-Man 2 will be in theaters as long as Titanic was.

Sequels are always frontloaded and the summer is a far more competitive market. The distribution miracle that is Titanic is one of those once-in-a-lifetime things like Haley's Comet or tea-bagging your English teacher at Outdoor Ed.

effzee

i didnt post my opinions so allow me to do so now right now:

it was fucking amazing. and this coming from a guy who though spiderman 1 was way overrated and it really bugged me how much money it made when i didnt seem to think it was that amazing.

warning following has some spoilers:

i still have some gripes with the CGI and how sometimes it makes spiderman look like something out of gumby. but man what a moving...there was amazing action...amazing comedy...amazing villain...amazing character build up.

now i have some questions: what the hell was with that cake scene? did i miss something? it seemed completely random. i know the girl liked him...but is it me or did she look sickly? she also had a mole on her eye brow.

the scene where aunt may is captured....it annoyed me how she happened to latch her umbrella onto that edge...i mean i loved the pay off where she just steps off...but i mean shouldnt she have had an heart attack by then? it seemed all to convenient.

and who is going to be the main villain in spiderman3 cause i really dont want a goblin related movie again. ive heard the direction/cast only want to do one more and venom might be too complicated to do so in one movie but i would for venom to show up. he is easily the coolest villain.

a bit off topic but still...man as much as i am a batman fan over spiderman and am dying for that chris nolan version for batman i doubt it will be better than this. spiderman lends itself much more to the big screen than batman. i wonder if there going to use some CGI for when they show batman in motion...which i think they should cause the movies have made him way too stiff.

Willco

Hollywood Square
For the last time, Venom is not going to show up in Spider-Man 3. He isn't. It's just the way life works out.

On to your answers then.

The girl and the chocolate cake has been a great deal of speculation around the INFORMATION SUPERHIGHWAY, with a lot of people saying that that girl may end up being The Black Cat. She was originally written into Spider-Man 2 and Raimi has a great deal of affection for the character, so who knows. The other common response is that in a time when Peter Parker was becoming a punching bag for the world, one person did one genuinely nice thing for him.

The most likely villain(s) for Spider-Man 3 are...

The Lizard and/or The Green Goblin/Hobgoblin. The new Goblin will be different, Raimi promises as much and you will get the Goblin again. Why? Because everything indicates that Raimi, Maguire and Co. are LEAVING FOR GOOD after Spidey 3, so they want to wrap the character arc up.

And for my money, Venom is a cool creation, but probably the most overrated villain in the history of comics.

effzee

Willco said:
For the last time, Venom is not going to show up in Spider-Man 3. He isn't. It's just the way life works out.

On to your answers then.

The girl and the chocolate cake has been a great deal of speculation around the INFORMATION SUPERHIGHWAY, with a lot of people saying that that girl may end up being The Black Cat. She was originally written into Spider-Man 2 and Raimi has a great deal of affection for the character, so who knows. The other common response is that in a time when Peter Parker was becoming a punching bag for the world, one person did one genuinely nice thing for him.

The most likely villain(s) for Spider-Man 3 are...

The Lizard and/or The Green Goblin/Hobgoblin. The new Goblin will be different, Raimi promises as much and you will get the Goblin again. Why? Because everything indicates that Raimi, Maguire and Co. are LEAVING FOR GOOD after Spidey 3, so they want to wrap the character arc up.

true and for that i dont want venom in just one movie..i mean all villains have more developmental time but venom was especially creative and would need at least 2 movies...or maybe a three movie set like the goblin/osbourne saga. its just that i just dont want only the goblin in the 3rd one.

and say if raimi/maguire/etc all leave after the next one...as would be wise to not milk it...and the studio decides to make more...whcih they def will since the money its bringing in....who else thinks the series would be ruined? i mean who else can handle spiderman better?

And for my money, Venom is a cool creation, but probably the most overrated villain in the history of comics.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Well, Raimi and Maguire are becoming less and less hateful on a Spidey 4 collaboration, so who knows for sure. It all comes down to money.

I would lose interest after Raimi leaves, but if Sony does the thing in sets of trilogies, with a top-notch cast and director each time, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

It would have to be someone creative and unique, like Raimi, who's not some overblown hack. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I wouldn't mind seeing Sam Mendes or Michael Gondry approach the material.

Phoenix

Seth C said:
Sure it does. You wouldn't go to a bad movie twice, right?

I have before yes. Once to find out it was bad, and a second or maybe third time with friends just to laught at how bad it was. In any event, it does not follow that boxoffice receipts are a measure of how well people liked a film nor how good a film is. The logic you're suggesting is the same logic that would suggest that Enter The Matrix is one of the greatest games of all time - I mean its made almost $300 million worldwide. The game sucks donkey balls, however.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Phoenix said:
I have before yes. Once to find out it was bad, and a second or maybe third time with friends just to laught at how bad it was. In any event, it does not follow that boxoffice receipts are a measure of how well people liked a film nor how good a film is. The logic you're suggesting is the same logic that would suggest that Enter The Matrix is one of the greatest games of all time - I mean its made almost $300 million worldwide. The game sucks donkey balls, however.

That's a horrible comparison. Two very different mediums.

I say they resurrect Doc Ock for Spidey 3. Fucking Alfred Molina. So damn cool.

Anyways, seen it twice now. I got shivers at the end. I'm going to be seeing it everyday in the immediate future.

And I really don't see how they can turn Harry into a goblin in a single movie.

Phoenix

Willco said:
That's a horrible comparison. Two very different mediums.

The fact that the mediums are different is irrelevant - it clearly illustrates the point that the amount of money made does not establish whether or not something is liked because obviously you can't know if you like something until AFTER you've already spent the money.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Um...I didn't know where else to put this.

spidey03.jpg

spidey06.jpg

spidey09.jpg

spidey12.jpg

spidey19.jpg

Shinobi

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
Those strips still rule...

The Fronde said:

Agreed...it's beyond weak. The only opinion that matters is your own. I loved the movie, that doesn't mean everyone else should. Same way I'm one of the few people who not only dislikes Burton's Batman flicks, but relishes in tearing those movies to shreds.

neptunes said:
hey, Seeing movies twice was popular when Titanic came out. ;)

Try fifteen or twenty times in Titanic's case...not kidding either.

Willco said:
The distribution miracle that is Titanic is one of those once-in-a-lifetime things like Haley's Comet or tea-bagging your English teacher at Outdoor Ed.

That and most movies now have five to six months turnarounds from theatre to DVD/video, as opposed to the eight to twelve months or more that was the norm when Titanic was kicking everyone's ass.

Seth C

Phoenix said:
The fact that the mediums are different is irrelevant - it clearly illustrates the point that the amount of money made does not establish whether or not something is liked because obviously you can't know if you like something until AFTER you've already spent the money.

You personally buy the same game multiple times, within a week? Come on. :p Very different things.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Shinobi said:
Try fifteen or twenty times in Titanic's case...not kidding either.
What sort of sad bastards watched Titanic 20 times? Jesus!

It's not like it was Training Day or anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom