• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Haven't been reading the thread, but what is the secret behind Guile and Vega's supers?

Are these just impossible or something.

I do the correct motion for Vega, but it never comes out. Guile, I hit it about 9 percent of the time.

GT: Team215

Barrett2

Zeliard said:
Was that ranked or player?

I've found people, naturally, are considerably more fun to play against in player matches. There's much more a variety of characters, generally-speaking, and I've never seen anyone drop from a player match while losing.

In ranked, due to the battle points system (that even Seth Killian said is basically irrelevant), people take shit far too seriously and it leads to a considerable amount of unsportsmanlike conduct and just general douchebaggery.

Yeah, it was in ranked play. Once I start messing around with someone new I will head into Player Matches.

I think I want to start playing with Rose next. She is a very visually appealing character, cool hair, cool outfit, and I love the electric shamwow. After I am done fooling around with Sagat, I think i'll give Rose a try. Mostly I just can't believe I am getting 60+ hours of fun out of a fighting game. I have always tired of fighting games at about the 30 hour mark, once I realize I suck. Not so with this game.

Zeliard

lawblob said:
I think I want to start playing with Rose next. She is a very visually appealing character, cool hair, cool outfit, and I love the electric shamwow. After I am done fooling around with Sagat, I think i'll give Rose a try. Mostly I just can't believe I am getting 60+ hours of fun out of a fighting game. I have always tired of fighting games at about the 30 hour mark, once I realize I suck. Not so with this game.

Rose is really fun to play as. What's been your success like with Sagat?

Barrett2

Zeliard said:
Rose is really fun to play as. What's been your success like with Sagat?

I am tearing shit up as Sagat. :D

I am at 1500BP in Ranked Play with him, winning a lot, and its just nice to play with someone who has a wide variety of moves. With Abel I always felt so limited in what I could do, I felt like I could only win fights if the other person messed up. With Sagat its nice to be able to take control, beat people into a corner, etc.

chidrock

Anybody care to share some tips on getting to be more patient? lol I like using Abel and I know he's so much more effective if you wait for things to happen, but I just can't do it. I've been getting a little better with the more I get to play, but I know I still have a ways to go...

Let's just say my defense ratings at the end of matches suck...how to go about getting those better?

Last question - let's say someone playing as Ken misses with a shoryuken right next to me and I'm Abel. What's the best move to hit them with? It seems like I'm having trouble getting them consistantly.

Zeliard

lawblob said:

I am at 1500BP in Ranked Play with him, winning a lot, and its just nice to play with someone who has a wide variety of moves. With Abel I always felt so limited in what I could do, I felt like I could only win fights if the other person messed up. With Sagat its nice to be able to take control, beat people into a corner, etc.

Sagat's definitely a beast.

So perfect for playing either a waiting game to catch your opponent making mistakes, or just overwhelm him with strong offensive moves. Balrog/Boxer is similar in that way. You ever check him out? He's a powerful character, too, unless you just don't like charge characters. :p

haunts

Bacon of Hope
chidrock said:
Anybody care to share some tips on getting to be more patient? lol I like using Abel and I know he's so much more effective if you wait for things to happen, but I just can't do it. I've been getting a little better with the more I get to play, but I know I still have a ways to go...

Let's just say my defense ratings at the end of matches suck...how to go about getting those better?

Last question - let's say someone playing as Ken misses with a shoryuken right next to me and I'm Abel. What's the best move to hit them with? It seems like I'm having trouble getting them consistantly.

C. Mp into change of directon or c.Fp into air grab or ultra.

kurahadol

I've been eagerly awaiting to put some time into this game online. Was a bit intimidated as my skills in Street Fighter aren't as polished as I'd like them to be, more of an SNK fighter myself. I'm absolutely loving the game though, I'm just trying to focus on a character that can really mix things up. Abel has really peaked my interests and I've always loved playing as Sagat. I tried to get things going with C. Viper but I can't seem to enjoy using her. But starting this week I'm going to put some time in online, so if anyone is up for a game with a noobish player looking to get some experience, I'm your guy :D

chidrock

kurahadol said:
I've been eagerly awaiting to put some time into this game online. Was a bit intimidated as my skills in Street Fighter aren't as polished as I'd like them to be, more of an SNK fighter myself. I'm absolutely loving the game though, I'm just trying to focus on a character that can really mix things up. Abel has really peaked my interests and I've always loved playing as Sagat. I tried to get things going with C. Viper but I can't seem to enjoy using her. But starting this week I'm going to put some time in online, so if anyone is up for a game with a noobish player looking to get some experience, I'm your guy :D

I'm slowly trying to get myself to ignore the fact that my battle points rarely ever get over 100 lol. It really sucks having your ass handed to you on a consistant basis. The worst is that this is the first game that I bought in a long time where I really want to be good at it. I never had fun using a stick before, but I took a chance and got one and I'm really digging it. I just don't have the time that I used to, so I'm just trying to deal with that and get better when I actually do get to play.

Put it this way, I'm usually just a lurker on these boards and here I am posting because of this game...it's like discovering SF2CE at the arcade all over again.

edit - if anyone wants to play another noobish player, my GT is chidrock...

edit 2 - I have the game for the PS3, but I'll still add you on XBL if you'd like

toneroni

i got freaking 1bp for my last win :lol
Jeez i still have it set to find opponents "more skilled". Maybe i'll try same skilled now =\
Have almost 2200 bp

chidrock

toneroni said:
Jeez i still have it set to find opponents "more skilled". Maybe i'll try same skilled now =\
Have almost 2200 bp

did you just beat a guy playing as Abel? lol

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
toneroni said:
Have almost 2200 bp
it's pretty useless. I tried to have it set to more skilled, but the only difference was that people with one bar of connection shows up more often. It's best to just set it to stability and wade through the chum.

jaypah

if anybody's on XBL and up for a quick game my gt is : JAYPAH

i posted in the online SF thread and added the GAF SF2 gamertag but i haven't played anyone from the boards yet. c'mon! i want to get pummeled by people from the community!

After many many tries, I finally got my BP over 1,000 for just the 2nd time ever since I got the game. Now I'm afraid to touch the game because I know I won't stay in the 4 digit range for too long :lol

Raw64life

mYm|17| said:
Sorry vertigo about earlier, friend and i just started playing when u messaged me. maybe some other time we can get some practice in.

Anyhow, my friend sent me this link and i thought it was pretty cool. U gotta name as many street fighter characters in all the series within 10 mins.
The best i got was 25.

http://www.sporcle.com/games/streetfightercharacters.php

Cool game. Got 59 names. Missed Retsu, Geki & Joe from Street Fighter 1, Maki & Ingrid from Street Fighter Alpha, and the entire EX cast except for Skullomania and Cracker Jack.

Brobzoid

Raw64life said:
Cool game. Got 59 names. Missed Retsu, Geki & Joe from Street Fighter 1, Maki & Ingrid from Street Fighter Alpha, and the entire EX cast except for Skullomania and Cracker Jack.
damn it, I thought he was called Violent Jack (like the anime). :\ too bad I played it in Japanese when I was like 12. dun remember too much of those games...
I got 40 after misspelling 'ryu' three times.

chidrock said:

You can be super aggressive with Abel and still dominate. Cross-up with jumpingMK into cMP->COD is a sweet combo. Roll into Tornado Throw. General wheel kicks. You can really mess with people's minds.

As for punishing people, I really like cFP->Falling Sky. It looks badass and gives a good amount of damage. A sick combo that let's you hit-confirm his super is cross-up jumping MK->standing FP->Super Combo.

You can also EX his Change of Direction to break through people's pokes. Also, it helps A LOT if you know how to Focus Attack well.

xabre

Banned
1cesc said:
Hehehhehehe, some dude perfected me in the first round, so the first thing he does at the start of the second is taunt me. I ended up winning in the third round with the least amount of life possible. Sooo satisfying.

Nothing tops beating some punk after them verbally abusing you over in-game chat and saying how shit you are. Hasn't happened in SF4 but did a couple times in SF2HDR.

jaypah

AZ Greg said:
Good matches jaypah.

If anyone wants to play on XBL, I should be around most of the afternoon. Tag is AZ Greg.

i wouldn't call them "matches". "torture" comes to mind but doesn't quite convey the bloodshed. i learned some shit though and really that's what playing better people is all about.

chidrock

Omar Ismail said:
You can be super aggressive with Abel and still dominate. Cross-up with jumpingMK into cMP->COD is a sweet combo. Roll into Tornado Throw. General wheel kicks. You can really mess with people's minds.

As for punishing people, I really like cFP->Falling Sky. It looks badass and gives a good amount of damage. A sick combo that let's you hit-confirm his super is cross-up jumping MK->standing FP->Super Combo.

You can also EX his Change of Direction to break through people's pokes. Also, it helps A LOT if you know how to Focus Attack well.

My problem is that I get too aggressive and wind up leaving myself open. My mind tells me not to do things, but I do them anyway.

One area I need to get better with him is the throws. Plus there's a lot of times that I try to do the falling sky and it's just off and whiffs. My cross-up game also sucks.

At least I'm having fun with this character. It's almost as if I'm playing rival schools again.

TimeKillr

lawblob said:

I'll have to play you eventually (if you're on PSN).

I love Abel and take control of fights very, VERY aggressively. It's just that he has a limited arsenal of moves and they are rather limited in their uses so you have to learn how to effectively use his normals.

TimeKillr

haunts said:
C. Mp into change of directon or c.Fp into air grab or ultra.

Actually standing FP -> fierce CoD does more damage than c.mp -> medium CoD.

I tested out most of his damage potential, when to cancel moves into his super, etc and usually standing FP or c.FP are his best starters. c.FP can also cancel into super (early or link late if in the corner).

As usual, damage scaling screws this game. If you do standing FP -> CoD -> Cancel into Super, you do less damage than standing FP -> Super. :(

I love Gen. His super to ultra really takes my opponent by surprise. Its even more satisfying to do it right after they do their ultra. This patch needs to come quick so I can save these fights.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Yeah, the more skilled filter is definitely broken. Started creating matches instead of just joining them, and I got nothing but people who had more BP than me. So I guess creating is the way to go if you want to play people with more BP, it just takes longer to get a game going.

Lost Fragment said:
Yeah, the more skilled filter is definitely broken. Started creating matches instead of just joining them, and I got nothing but people who had more BP than me. So I guess creating is the way to go if you want to play people with more BP, it just takes longer to get a game going.
What .. More Skilled Fighter is broken you say yet you are searching for matches for people with more skill and more BP opponents show up and you think its broken?

I'm confused?

Brobzoid

TurtleSnatcher said:
What .. More Skilled Fighter is broken you say yet you are searching for matches for people with more skill and more BP opponents show up and you think its broken?

I'm confused?
if you play arcade with request turned on, it doesn't really bother with finding more skilled if you want to. you have to jump through hoops (creating your own game).

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
TurtleSnatcher said:

I'm confused?

'twas talking about custom searching for games.

So far I always use "more skilled" and it is more accurate to say that it gives me results that are "similarly skilled".

Only a handful of times have I gotten someone with any significant points over me.

I currently hover around 2,100 points and I mostly fight people in the 1,700 to 2,200 range. Only once have I played someone with more than 500 points more than me.

Perhaps there aren't as many of those playing at any one time available for a match when I search?

I know that even at a meager 2,100 I am still ranked under 10,000 on the leaderboard so there isn't a huge pool of players with more points at any one time I would suspect.

Piper Az

does anyone know what the deal is regarding the connection indicator? I've had decent on-line matches where the connection indicator had no bars (just flashing antenna)

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Piper Az said:
does anyone know what the deal is regarding the connection indicator? I've had decent on-line matches where the connection indicator had no bars (just flashing antenna)
iirc the flashing doesn't mean bad, it sort of means wild card. Low means low.

Piper Az said:
The game is very strict on grading connection

h3ro

_dementia said:
The game is very strict on grading connection

Hey, thanks for playing some rounds with my brother. He was on my gamertag playing a few matches and remembered you from back in the Gears days.

h3ro said:
Hey, thanks for playing some rounds with my brother. He was on my gamertag playing a few matches and remembered you from back in the Gears days.
oh that was your brother?

I saw the mic icon by your GT but I didn't have mine on so I couldn't hear a thing.

Won

Piper Az said:

No bars means the game had no time to check the ping. Happens after choosing Quick Match most of the time.

h3ro

_dementia said:
oh that was your brother?

I saw the mic icon by your GT but I didn't have mine on so I couldn't hear a thing.

Yeah, he's home from school and wanted to try out SFIV but refused to use my EX2 and stuck with the regular controller. I'm glad you didn't have a mic on, or all you would hear is me yelling at him for doing wake-up dragon punches... :lol

Top Bottom