• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Mendrox

Crazy how pissed a lot of the reviewers are. They seem so upset it's something it isnt and continue to say it's not worth $60. I thought price wasnt supposed to dictate review score.

Also 1's should be used for broken horrible games. Not games that you arent a fan of shooting and cinematics. It's so weird.

At least it's great how the industry supports new ip's and developers....

Yeah it's so weird that they review a product and include the price/hour/fun ratio. Like... it could cost 120$ and everybody should still rate it the same. In my opinion the price of a product in comparison to the fun/time/investment is very important (at least to me and I review hookah tobacco and include the price too).

It's a good new IP, but I also don't see how you can work on this game for 5 years and get this on the table. Impressive world and graphics, but they could have done a 2 1/2 CG Movie too with it.

35$ would have been a good price and the game would have been received way better. Now RaD will get their 60$ from a few thousand people and after that the game will be gifted to everyone or be sold for 20$.. the right price.

Edit:

Also, I want to play videogames and not watch them. I can go to the cinema for something like that - yes. For way cheaper.

Yep!
Cinematic games are "teh evil".
Imagine Heavy Rain would launch today.
They would destory it.

Some people here act like cinematic games are killing their Super Mario and Zelda games.
It's just another game type (or even genre).

you don't like it, don't buy it. Stop hating and crying like a 1 year old.
Honestly, I worry about Until Dawn. I can imagine it will be lying in a pool of blood :|

graffix13

Looking at the trophies...Is there no trophy for beating the game, or beating it on hard? I want to go for platinum on it but, I will not play it on hard the first play through unless there is a trophy for it.

There is no difficulty related trophy. Looks to be an fast and easy plat.

Yep!
They would destory it.

Some people here act like cinematic games are killing their Super Mario and Zelda games.
If you don't like it, don't buy it. Stop hating and crying like a 1 year old.

It's really crazy how some people are soooo salty about Nintendo...crazy I tell you!

Nice OT btw! games looks cool and I will probably try it in the near future.

Foshy

Has seriously no one mentioned yet how SharePlay is perfect for this game?

If someone would be nice enough to let me try it some day that'd be cool.

I'm sure most of expected the game to get hammered though, didn't we? I've never been shy about thinking it'll get shafted for not being gimmicky and having lots of collectibles strewn about or empty rooms to briefly peer into, see there's nothing and walk straight back out again.

The thing about reviews these days is they all try and copy the idea that the crueler you are the more intelligent you somehow are or the more worthwhile your opinion is. It isn't their fault, a lot of the time now I've noticed that if someone hates a game/movie/band the assumption is that they know what they're talking about or they see something that people who like it don't.

This isn't to say their scores are low because of this but it definitely accounts for their phrasing.

The visuals are incredible.

Yeah, I had to remember that I was streaming and that people don't really want to watch me stopping at staring every 30 seconds. XD It was hard to resist. The visuals are fucking incredible. It really does look like a movie at times. The lighting is phenomenal.

First impressions are pretty good. I love the setting and the visuals, the characters are all well written and each have their own personality. I like the contrast between Gallahad and the French guy (can't remember his name, lol).

The gunplay, while good, is a little janky. The same goes for the movement. It's not quite as smooth as I'd hoped for. But as long as you choose your times to run and choose your cover wisely, you shouldn't get too frustrated. It's nowhere near GTA levels of jank, but it's not quite Gears of War either.

All in all, from the 1hr 40mins that I played, I enjoyed it. It's not blowing me away (apart from the visuals, lawd), but it's good enough that I actually want to carry on playing it.

Honestly, I worry about Until Dawn. I can imagine it will be lying in a pool of blood :|
Yea... It's really strange man.

I REALLY like this genre of game. I also love dmc, ninja gaiden, minecraft, rogue legacy, doa, starcraft, mario galaxy, mario kart, mgs.

Not sure why there is a genre that is just NOT allowed to exist. Especially considering how honest rad has been about this game.

A realtime interactive movie where you watch a story from one characters perspective is highly interesting to me as an art form. Not sure why this has to be a negative...

Is this the new Uncharted 3 cutscene comparison?
No.
The Uncharted 3 incident was about "dowgrades" in prerendered cutscenes.
Not only is it pretty unlikely that a prerendered cutscene which is essentially just a video on the disc, would get downgraded, the supposed downgrades also were just usuall changes. Don't remember it exactly but I think the scene had a lot of sand and dust in the air and in the earlier version this was missing. In the version where it was added it changed the lighting and visibility of many objects in the distance and people thought it was a downgrade.

The Order 1886 has realtime cutscenes to begin with, so a downgrade would at least make sense here.
However the posted comparison is pretty fucking stupid nontheless.
1. Its compares a direc feed screenshot to youtube captures.
2. Its mistakes and upgrade for a downgrade.
In the earliest build there was no post processing, no shadows etc.
The changes they made were added post processing and shadows. Upgrade in my book.
3. It mistakes changed for a downgrade. The kinghts wear different clothes. The ones they're wearing in later build probably wasn't finished in the early build. But all the clothes you see are in the game, just worn at different occasions.

Hasney

Crazy how pissed a lot of the reviewers are. They seem so upset it's something it isnt and continue to say it's not worth $60. I thought price wasnt supposed to dictate review score.

Why wouldn't it? I thought they were meant to be a consumer service and to let people know if they think it's worth the asking price more than anything.

Why wouldn't it? I thought they were meant to be a consumer service and to let people know if they think it's worth the asking price more than anything.
Of course the price should be discussed but it seems like it's actively dictating the score. Prices change in a month review scores don't.

I REALLY like this genre of game. I also love dmc, ninja gaiden, minecraft, rogue legacy, doa, starcraft, mario galaxy, mario kart, mgs.

Not sure why there is a genre that is just NOT allowed to exist. Especially considering how honest rad has been about this game.

A realtime interactive movie where you watch a story from one characters perspective is highly interesting to me as an art form. Not sure why this has to be a negative...

It needs to be able to make a profit off of people that like those type of games.

Boke1879

I can see a game like Until Dawn having middling reviews. Around 70 on meta critic. But something that users enjoy playing.

If you've enjoyed Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls. You know what you're getting into with Until Dawn.

Hasney

Of course the price should be discussed but it seems like it's actively dictating the score. Prices change in a month review scores don't.

True, but that's why I wouldn't mind everyone adopting the Kotaku scheme (even if I don't actually like their content). Eurogamers is still too close to a score, but I wonder if a "buy it when it hits $x" as a recommendation would work instead.

Some of the bad reviews don't even mention the price really though, they just lambast the story and gameplay. Thing is, a couple of the 6's mention good gunplay and then some reviews slam it, so I'm interested to get my hands on that aspect.

I can see a game like Until Dawn having middling reviews. Around 70 on meta critic. But something that users enjoy playing.

If you've enjoyed Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls. You know what you're getting into with Until Dawn.

That's the thing, I love that style of game, but I would have given Heavy Rain a very low score as I thought the story, pace and voice cast performances (for the most part) were awful. haven't touched Beyond because everyones impressions seem to be "If you like Heavy Rain, you'll like this". I don't think anyone who didn't enjoy Cage's writing in HR have their mind changed.

Cautiously looking forward to Until Dawn. The PSX demo got me, especially with people yelling the decisions out. Think I should play that game with a bunch of people and a bunch of drinks.

Kem0sabe

Yep!
They would destory it.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. Stop hating and crying like a 1 year old.

This is a truly pathetic post. First because you throw cinematic around like its some type of genre without even addressing what makes a game cinematic or not, second because you seem to think that the community or reviewers have some kind of bias agaisnt these so called cinematic experiences.

Let's see, Half-Life, Halo, Assassins Creed, Gears of War, Metal Gear Solid, Star Craft, Uncharted, Wing Commander, Elite: Dangerous, Grand Theft Auto, God of War, Bioshock series, Mass Effect series, L.A Noire, Mafia, Max Payne... and so many others that players and critics alike consider to be cinematic experiences and that received praise for either gameplay, presentation or both.

Do you mean to tell us that cinematic just means pretty graphics and ingame movies?

People are not panning the game because its pretty or has movies, many people are critical because it has a poor story, badly paced, terrible ending, janky combat, over reliance on QTE's, lack of replayability or expanded gameplay modes, etc.

dcelw540

This thread man..

qTHxOZx.jpg

Rymuth

Took a break from the game. I'm in chapter 5. I love the world that RAD has crafted. Will continue after I get something in my system.

I found the
sackboy
cameo to be adorable.

Bikram

There is just so much hate around this game. I feel really bad for the developers. Imagine being in their position. It would feel like being hounded by bullies. Hope they recover from this. I will reserve my judgement till I play the game. But it's so sad to see how everyone is just basically jeering at those guys.
Some of the reviews are so brutal, I mean 3 and 4's should be reserved for the games which are broken not because you found it short or too much cinematic. RAD was totally honest from the get go that they are making a cinematic heavy game still so much backlash is just so discouraging.

AXE

What is this I heard about a photo mode?

Anything concrete? Like, a full control on camera?

Because that would get me to buy the game instantly.

Photo modes with proper aperture controls... so good.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Coming post launch

Ricky_R

No details. Only the possibility of its addition.

This is a truly pathetic post. First because you throw cinematic around like its some type of genre without even addressing what makes a game cinematic or not, second because you seem to think that the community or reviewers have some kind of bias agaisnt these so called cinematic experiences.

Let's see, Half-Life, Halo, Assassins Creed, Gears of War, Metal Gear Solid, Star Craft, Uncharted, Wing Commander, Elite: Dangerous, Grand Theft Auto, God of War, Bioshock series, Mass Effect series, L.A Noire, Mafia, Max Payne... and so many others that players and critics alike consider to be cinematic experiences and that received praise for either gameplay, presentation or both.

Do you mean to tell us that cinematic just means pretty graphics and ingame movies?

People are not panning the game because its pretty or has movies, many people are critical because it has a poor story, badly paced, terrible ending, janky combat, over reliance on QTE's, lack of replayability or expanded gameplay modes, etc.

QFT. You can be cinematic without constantly taking control away from the player. Because gaming is an interactive medium, players should be given input whenever possible.

The Uncharted games for example (which RAD have cited as their biggest inspiration, yet seemingly didn't pay attention to their actual design) are all about making as many moments playable as possible, even if it's just pushing the analogue stick forward, and using cutscenes only for moments where it's necessary to get up close to characters for emotional conversations. From what Ive watched there are just so many moments in The Order that could have, and should have, been fully playable and by doing so would have ENHANCED the cinematic aspect of the game and made the story more involving and emotional. The Uncharted games make their set pieces cinematic looking and feeling, but the player is in control the whole time and has the core gameplay integrated into it.

I don't plan on buying this game for many years. I don't even have a ps4 currently. (but at some point I will) I do have a spoiler question. When the game was first shown, they made a big deal of it being set in White Chapel but were rather cheeky if Jack the Ripper or the White Chapel murders were in the game. Were they?

Mr.Swag

Banned
This game sounds right up my alley.
1800's, cinematic, third person shooter etc.
Only problem is I dont have a ps4 yet.

I cant wait for this Christmas, PS4 Order bundle and Uncharted 4.

I don't plan on buying this game for many years. I don't even have a ps4 currently. (but at some point I will) I do have a spoiler question. When the game was first shown, they made a big deal of it being set in White Chapel but were rather cheeky if Jack the Ripper or the White Chapel murders were in the game. Were they?
There's a separate spoiler thread if you don't get an answer here.

Hasney

There is just so much hate around this game. I feel really bad for the developers. Imagine being in their position. It would feel like being hounded by bullies. Hope they recover from this. I will reserve my judgement till I play the game. But it's so sad to see how everyone is just basically jeering at those guys.
Some of the reviews are so brutal, I mean 3 and 4's should be reserved for the games which are broken not because you found it short or too much cinematic. RAD was totally honest from the get go that they are making a cinematic heavy game still so much backlash is just so discouraging.

Wouldn't you say a game failing at everything that it set out to do isn't just as bad as something that's broken? I'm not saying I agree with Metros review as I haven't played it yet, but here's the sum-up:

In Short: Beneath the technical wonder this is just a dull, aimless Gears Of War clone – where the attempts at storytelling are just as boring and lifeless as the action.

Pros: Amazing graphics, that are the best yet on the PlayStation 4. The third person combat is relatively competent and the QTEs are some of the better examples of their breed.

Cons: Unbearably boring from its first moments, with an underwritten script, bland characters, and repetitive and overfamilar action. No replay value or additional game modes.

It's clearly a game that's story first, so if that misses its mark in their opinion and the gameplay is merely competent and gets repetitive over its short time, why wouldn't it be a 4?

EDIT: Just got my dispatch notice now for this
and a face towel I had to buy to get the order value above £50 for the voucher
so should get it tomorrow

GobFather

Wouldn't you say a game failing at everything that it set out to do isn't just as bad as something that's broken? I'm not saying I agree with Metros review as I haven't played it yet, but here's the sum-up:

It's clearly a game that's story first, so if that misses its mark in their opinion and the gameplay is merely competent and gets repetitive over its short time, why wouldn't it be a 4?

Didn't it do exactly what it set out to be?

I'm actually an advocate for reviewers talking about price valuation. But this right here is the main hiccup. When you write a review predicated on a game costing $X, does the review lose its validity later? This is why you can't just read reviews. Take Driveclub for example and all the things added. Granted a lot of things added should have been in the game to begin with, but if you read a review of the game, it doesn't give you an accurate picture of what the game is like in Februrary 2015 (or any other time for that matter). Reviews could be set in stone a decade ago. But in the age of game fixing and game breaking patches and additions, reviews have become somewhat temporally bound.

To be fair you are quoting one of the harshest reviews of the games, maybe you should aim for the middle-of-the-road reviews rather than the 2/10s or the 8/10s if we're discussing this properly.

Or else we're doing this:
The Order 1886 is an incomplete masterpiece, a splendid introduction to a new world. And, despite its limits, an experience to live.

Which most people would laugh about yet the worst reviews are thrown around like gospel, it seems a bit unfair.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
You guys, story wise, I would have loved an angle in which Galahad, Izzy and Alistair were
all adopted by the Lord Chancellor, except Galahad was just a friend from their village who was like a brother to Alistair and had a protective crush over Izzy. Then, in the struggle between the Half Breeds and The Order for the right to exist and not be hunted, it's revealed that Galahad is unknowingly a lycan himself, getting exiled and persecuted by the Order. But this time Alistair reveals that he planned to undermine the Order with the help of the vampires to help "their kind" (his and his "brother" Galahad's) win the battle by creating an even stronger breed of hybrids, and overpower the tyranny of The Order. This way the brotherly conflict ensues, while Izzy feels abandoned by both of them, and Galahad has to choose between his brother's life long resentment for The Order, The Order's lies deceit, and Izzy.
IMHO, a much more interesting family, trust dynamic than what RAD cooked up.

Hasney

Didn't it do exactly what it set out to be?

Not really, you'd want your story-driven game to have a good story and characters that aren't dull in their eyes,

To be fair you are quoting one of the harshest reviews of the games, maybe you should aim for the middle-of-the-road reviews rather than the 2/10s or the 8/10s if we're discussing this properly.

Or else we're doing this:

Which most people would laugh about yet the worst reviews are thrown around like gospel, it seems a bit unfair.

I totally agree. The only reason I'm posting that one specifically is because the poster I quoted doesn't think games that aren't technically broken deserve a 4/10, so I posted text from a 4/10 review.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I have a stream up if anyone's interested. Twitch: bigbossmk23

Sucks for RAD. Looks like they dropped the ball in a few key areas.

That said, I'm still grabbing the game tomorrow. Positive GAF impressions make me think I will nevertheless enjoy it a ton.

BiGBoSSMk23

Can we stop talking about the fucking reviews already?

Damn.

Top Bottom