• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Majanew

Banned
Why does a game need to be broken to get a 4/10?

It doesn't. Your game can be broke as fuck (TMCC) and still get a 7.5/10 from the same site that gives this game a 4.5. I guess I've just been conditioned from the 1-10 scale being used mostly from 7-10, so I view a 45 as a game that's borderline broken. Guess I'll find out tomorrow thanks to Redbox carrying it.

schaft0620

Hopefully they can announce any DLC plans after this weekend. I am going to try to flip my CE if I beat it this weekend.

It's such a shame that we don't get incredible console exclusives like The Order: 1886 on PC. I really want the mediocre gameplay, average graphics that look better with OTT post-processing like any other game can with GeDoSaTo/ENB/SweetFX/GEMFX, 30 frames a second, pointless set pieces, unskippable cut-scenes, black bars, 60 dollar price tag and Day 1 season pass availability.

Edit: Apparently you're only allowed to praise games in this thread, but if you want to criticise it and the rubbish surrounding it, you've got to go to another one. I wasn't here to criticise reviews. I posted here to criticise the game. But, you know, just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're wrong.

That's not criticizing dude, that's straight up trolling

MattyG

Banned
Cancelled my CE pre-order, I'm just gonna get the normal one. That stuff if just going to sit in my closet. That Target deal seems like the one I should go with.

Edit: Oh, maybe that's a preorder only deal?

Reviews this gen have been a joke. I feel completely out of touch with them

Same, I'm always interested in what people have to say and how they describe games they've played before they're available at retail, but I'm increasingly left scratching my head over the scores and often general shifting tastes of reviewers.

Truant

And the vast majority of hands on impressions here are positive. Why should we suddenly value opinions of reviewers?

Like I said, I'm all for making up your own opinions. I'm sure the game is 10/10 for some users, and that's fine. It just seems strange to me that users are blindly defending the game without having played it. That's all. I'm not here to start a fight, I just found that part interesting.

FireSol

What's random? Some posts display blind faith in the quality of the game without having played it, even though the vast majority of the reviews are saying the game mediocre. Just seems weird to me. But I'm all for making up your own mind, reviews can be pretty useless.

This majority of the reviews sad that DriveClub was BAD, but in fact DriveClub it's an awesome game

FATALITY

Banned
Like I said, I'm all for making up your own opinions. I'm sure the game is 10/10 for some users, and that's fine. It just seems strange to me that users are blindly defending the game without having played it. That's all. I'm not here to start a fight, I just found that part interesting.

yeah we get it. now lets move on

I like the part where you compare the graphics to pc mods. Because pc games can only achieve the visual greatness of The Order with modding. Am I doing it right?

No, I'm saying that The Order: 1886 is really an okay-looking game but looks good because of the excessive post-processing. Any contemporary title that looks alright can look like an old film if you add in blur, chromatic aberration, aggressive tonemapping and colour "correction" and black/white crush. But if you remove that post-processing, 1886 has a lot of low res textures, poor LoD, constrained levels and has also had a significant graphical downgrade over the last few months, with a lot of assets being downgraded or outright removed to maintain a "smooth" 30 FPS. It's a mediocre release with mediocre gameplay, mediocre graphics and a lot of flaws. Sound's good though, and I do love the setting, so at least it has that going for it.

The fact is, if you had more control over the character in The Order, it would have scored much better.

Oh and add some more pew pew and WOW...what a game

Games seemed to reviewed for what they aren't, instead of what they are.

Yeah I feel that is odd. Cause the Tell Tale games can really be completed and played by almost anyone. There is no skill involved, there is just an exerience they guide you through with some minor choices. Now I'm not saying The Order is any different but I do know some sections have people dying repeatedly, so apparently there is some level of gameplay skill required to proceed in The Order, more so then in the other games I mentioned. It will be interested to see how I feel once I get to play through it though.

chico

every game i loved so far this gen had some terrible reviews. meh...
i dont give a fuck about reviews anymore.

Hasney

This majority of the reviews sad that DriveClub was BAD, but in fact DriveClub it's an awesome game

I actually side more with the reviewers on that one. In fact, I even felt my go-to reviewer for racing games on Gametrailers went a little too high on it.
Look, some of us like what we saw.

If gaming is akin to an art medium let me appreciate my tastes.

Exactly. Even if you go by reviews, some are popping up with 8's and the like and they're just peoples opinions, so a lot of people are going to get some enjoyment out of this. By the looks and sounds of it, it probably won't end up on too many peoples GOTY lists but hell, I love Knack and I know the majority would disagree with me on that one.

Same, I'm always interested in what people have to say and how they describe games they've played before they're available at retail, but I'm increasingly left scratching my head over the scores and often general shifting tastes of reviewers.

Unless it has next gen gameplay and boost jumps and something new then it will be slated. It's why I will never base a purchase off a review again. I'm loving The Order so far, if I based a purchase off gaf and reviews I'd never even be interested in it. Same with Dying Light. I would rate it higher than Far Cry 4 anyday, yet it's hovering above the 60s on metacritic.

I agree. We shouldn't have scores, they should be updated post release or reviewers shouldn't review online games before release day. Although the fact that most of the single player part of Halo MCC still works still justifies a lot of its score to a lot of people.
I'm pretty sure the last I heard, the checkpoint saves were broken in SP. Which makes it sound undeserving of a 90+. Point is, I've long since passed the point of blindly swallowing what reviewers say. There have been too many times where I either thought a game was overhyped or overcriticized. At this point, I try to take an eclectic overview of the game. Watch demos, watch some YouTube footage, maybe some Twitch footage, read reviews and read impressions. Reviewers can't be the end all be all judges of games.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
What the fuck are we doing talking scores in this thread? :mad:

Anyway, I hope the people who got the game are enjoying it. My brother's liking so far.

WITHE1982

No, I'm saying that The Order: 1886 is really an okay-looking game but looks good because of the excessive post-processing. Any contemporary title that looks alright can look like an old film if you add in blur, chromatic aberration, aggressive tonemapping and colour "correction" and black/white crush. But if you remove that post-processing, 1886 has a lot of low res textures, poor LoD, constrained levels and has also had a significant graphical downgrade over the last few months, with a lot of assets being downgraded or outright removed to maintain a "smooth" 30 FPS. It's a mediocre release with mediocre gameplay, mediocre graphics and a lot of flaws. Sound's good though, and I do love the setting, so at least it has that going for it.

A much better non trolling post with some pretty good points made (sorry if that sounds condescending).

I'll reserve judgement myself until I get more of a hands on tomorrow. Let's hope it's not just all window dressing. I do love the setting though.

DrKelpo

Banned
honestly...i don't give a shit about reviews from "regular" gaming sites anymore. some of these ratings, "3/10, 4/10", seem just brutal and unfair. 3 and 4/10 used to be absolute garbage-games a few years ago.

what i gathered from gaffer-impressions here is, that the game is not perfect and not very innovative gameplaywise, but a solid third-person-shooter with great atmosphere and technical values. these impressions are much more important to me, when deciding whether to buy a game or not.

going to pick up my copy later today.

Pop

And people bash games all the time on here, without playing the said game.

So, let's just move on.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned

AN example of a great looking console game then :D using tricks to make these weaker looking consoles really trade blows with top end hardware.

It's deffo a beautiful looking game. The world looks incredible.

Protome

I love Driveclub, it's one of my favourite racing games.
Its middling review scores were well deserved at launch though, the game was fucked. It's the one case of a game coming out completely broken and lacking in content this gen where the devs have made good on it and completely turned it around however. Devs could learn a lot from Evolution.

Seriously, show me the downgrades. I'll wait.

I'm saying that The Order: 1886 is really an okay-looking game but looks good because of the excessive post-processing. Any contemporary title that looks alright can look like an old film if you add in blur, chromatic aberration, aggressive tonemapping and colour "correction" and black/white crush. But if you remove that post-processing, 1886 has a lot of low res textures, poor LoD, constrained levels and has also had a significant graphical downgrade over the last few months, with a lot of assets being downgraded or outright removed to maintain a "smooth" 30 FPS

And yet despite all your reasoning, it is still far superior than anything else on the market, graphically speaking.

Is there anything in the game to support a second playthrough? New game plus, or unlocked "cheats" like visual filters, special weapons etc.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Decided to buy it because I fancy playing and just got £50 cheque in the post as a late birthday gift.

How's the latency when playing? Is it light and responsive or heavy and slow?

Kem0sabe

And yet despite all your reasoning, it is still far superior than anything else on the market, graphically speaking.

Ryse on the PC is probably the most technically accomplished game in terms of graphics to be released so far. Shit art direction, but very good graphics.

I might buy this just to spite the circlejerk that has spawned up over this game in the last week. It's made visiting NeoGaf a pain.

Game looks cool anyways. RaD made some great God of War games on PSP so I'm willing to give them benefit of the doubt.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Dammit, I wish someone around me would break street dates! I'd much rather start it tonight than tomorrow.

EDIT: There have been arguments over a shit-ton of topics surrounding this game. Could we not add a "console vs PC" argument to the list, please?

I think the problem is that reviews and gaming sites have become such big business that it is no longer about fun but about deadlines. There are so many games that are coming our and with the internet the competition is fierce. These reviewers just are jaded and it takes games that are really special to impress them, and COD.

Anarion07

We're gonna need proof for those downgrades.
And PLEASE bring up the comparison pic that was discussed a lot on reddit earlier this week.

Its middling review scores were well deserved at launch though, the game was fucked. It's the one case of a game coming out completely broken and lacking in content this gen where the devs have made good on it and completely turned it around however. Devs could learn a lot from Evolution.

The game online was not broken when the reviewer played it so the reviews reflected what they thought of the game. The post launch dlc support was announced prior to the release so everyone knew what the support was. It is actually one of the best post launch dlc plan this gen. Driveclub was reviewed bad unfairly.

Majanew

Banned
We're gonna need proof for those downgrades.
And PLEASE bring up the comparison pic that was discussed a lot on reddit earlier this week.

That's the only thing I can think of that he's talking about. lol

I understand some may not like the art-style/aesthetics, but to call the graphics mediocre is being full of crap just to troll.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I have my CE pre-ordered, but unfortunately, it's crunch time at work, so I have OT this week and all this weekend. I'm still looking forward to possibly squeezing in some time with it tomorrow evening.

Gibbo

I just finished the game 10 minutes ago. When i was at chapter 10 this afternoon, I would have rated the game a 7.5/10, in large part due to the presentation. As I've mentioned in the other thread, this game is by far the prettiest that i've seen. That includes Ryse PC (which I own) on Max settings.

The last 3rd of the game is when everything falls apart I think. It feels that they ran out of time . If I had not read in advance how many chapters there were in the game , I would have thrown my controller at the screen when the game ended the way it did.

Another thing that really annoyed me is that although you can sprint, that ability is disabled close to 50% of the time. In most areas, the game just forces you to walk through long distances at a snail pace.

Also regarding the last boss encounter ..
Another game where the last fight involves just QTEs? Is that how developers want people to remember their games ending? Same shit happened in Shadow of Mordor if I remember correctly

Because of this , I'd say 6.0/10 is a fair score.

ukas

Except the game functioned just as it should have when the reviewers had early access to the game. It wasn't until after it was released that the online went to shit. The content part if arguable.

Stevey

Seriously, show me the downgrades. I'll wait.

enR7uE4.gif

ron_bato

I just finished the game 10 minutes ago. When i was at chapter 10 this afternoon, I would have rated the game a 7.5/10, in large part due to the presentation. As I've mentioned in the other thread, this game is by far the prettiest that i've seen. That includes Ryse PC (which I own) on Max settings.

The last 3rd of the game is when everything falls apart I think. It feels that they ran out of time . If I had not read in advance how many chapters there were in the game , I would have thrown my controller at the screen when the game ended the way it did.

Another thing that really annoyed me is that although you can sprint, that ability is disabled close to 50% of the time. In most areas, the game just forces you to walk through long distances at a snail pace.

Also regarding the last boss encounter ..
Another game where the last fight involves just QTEs? Is that how developers want people to remember their games ending? Same shit happened in Shadow of Mordor if I remember correctly

Because of this , I'd say 6.0/10 is a fair score.

Interesting. I'm at the start of chapter 10 now and would have said it's a solid 8. I won't be able to play the game til Sunday but now I'm curious to see how the game finishes.

Top Bottom